Please Help Building A PC!What Parts Do I NEed

longdillon1

CAGiversary!
Hi.Im building a pc.Im wanting it for gameing and music.What tupe of processors and video cards do I need?I have about 1,000 bucks to spend but would like to do it as cheap as possible.Whats the best modem case?Also which pentium 4 processor is the best?
Thanks

[quote name='longdillon1']Hi.Im building a pc.Im wanting it for gameing and music.What tupe of processors and video cards do I need?I have about 1,000 bucks to spend but would like to do it as cheap as possible.Whats the best modem case?Also which pentium 4 processor is the best?
Thanks[/QUOTE]

Any modern PC will handle music well. As far as gaming it really depends on what you have already and what you need. The more you tell us, the better the help.

And I wouldnt go Intel if you arent multitasking. Better bang for the buck AMD IMHO

[quote name='longdillon1']Hi.Im building a pc.Im wanting it for gameing and music.What tupe of processors and video cards do I need?I have about 1,000 bucks to spend but would like to do it as cheap as possible.Whats the best modem case?Also which pentium 4 processor is the best?
Thanks[/QUOTE]

If you want your computer to be semi-future proof, check for these items:

Case - your choice
Motherboard - I recommend any nForce 4 board
Processor - I'm a fan of Athlon 64.. get at least an Athlon 64 3500+
RAM - at least 2 512mb ddr3200 sticks..
Hard Drive - 200gb SATA drive
Video Card - GeForce 6800gt or ATI Radeon x800XL
Optical Drive - 16xDVDRW/CDRW
Sound Card - usually come onboard with 7.1 sound, but if you want you can buy a Sound Blaster Audigy 2 through 4 - they're all good.
Monitor - totally your choice - you can nab a 19" Flat Front for about $90

Enjoy :)

[quote name='psiufoxx2']If you want your computer to be semi-future proof, check for these items:

Case - your choice
Motherboard - I recommend any nForce 4 board
Processor - I'm a fan of Athlon 64.. get at least an Athlon 64 3500+
RAM - at least 2 512mb ddr3200 sticks..
Hard Drive - 200gb SATA drive
Video Card - GeForce 6800gt or ATI Radeon x800XL
Optical Drive - 16xDVDRW/CDRW
Sound Card - usually come onboard with 7.1 sound, but if you want you can buy a Sound Blaster Audigy 2 through 4 - they're all good.
Monitor - totally your choice - you can nab a 19" Flat Front for about $90

Enjoy :)[/QUOTE]

You are going to be incredibly hard pressed to build for under $1000 with those specs. The card alone eats up 1/4th your budget.

Add in the processor, youve just eaten half.

Mobo,case,RAM,200GB SATA HD,16x DVDRW,Audigy 2,Monitor and various other odds and ends (cables,mouse,adapters,taxes,shipping etc) for $500? Man, I need to start shopping where you shop!

[quote name='supadupacheap']You are going to be incredibly hard pressed to build for under $1000 with those specs. The card alone eats up 1/4th your budget.

Add in the processor, youve just eaten half.

Mobo,case,RAM,200GB SATA HD,16x DVDRW,Audigy 2,Monitor and various other odds and ends (cables,mouse,adapters,taxes,shipping etc) for $500? Man, I need to start shopping where you shop![/QUOTE]

Alright alright so I was overzealous.. Give me 15 minutes and I'll come back with a more reasonable offering ;)

Check out my mid-range rig in the meantime OP -- For $700 I did some damage.

Link here.

Okay so cut back on some goodies and for $1015 you can get:

Motherboard Socket 939 - Chaintech S1689 Skt939 ULi M1689 DDR Audio/LAN SATA RAID ATX [Retail]
CPU Socket 939 - AMD Athlon 64 3500 2.2GHz CPU [OEM w/Fan]
Memory DDR - 2 x 512Mb PC-3200 400MHz 184-Pin
Hard Disk Drives (SATA) - 160.0 Gb Serial ATA 7200 RPM [OEM]
Graphic Adapters (AGP) - GeForce 6600GT 128Mb DDR3 AGP w/TV-Out & DVI [Retail]
Cases - Mid Tower 313 8 bays 400W P4 & AMD Power Supply ATX Beige
DVD-ROM/DVD-RW Drives - DD1603 16x DVD±R/±RW DVD+R/-R:16x/8x Beige/Black Bezel [Retail]
Sound Cards - Creative Audigy 6.1 w/1394 [OEM]
Operating System - MS Windows XP Home [OEM]

+ FedEx Ground w/Insurance [4-7 bus. days]$23.21

Sor for about $1040 you can get a decent machine. And this was using an overpriced configurator online at http://www.targetpcinc.com. If you shop around you can get all of these at much better prices. Try www.pricewatch.com.

The only downfall is the 6600gt instead of an x800xl.. but someone was reporting prices of the x800xl falling fast. And even if that's not the case, I own a 6600gt and I love it. It's a great card.

[quote name='GAMGAM007']That could be buoilt for like $750 beofre monitor.[/QUOTE]

psiufoxx2 presented a more fair assesement to which I am almost in agreement. You, my friend, are insane.

$500 for the card and the CPU. Youve got $250 to handle all the rest (no leaving out shipping and/or taxes either)

*Edit* Ok, I just found a way it can be done. Find a crackhead desperate for cash for his next fix that has a 9800XT to peddle. :lol: :lol: :lol:

I ran your numbers Psi. I got $1100 w/o speakers or monitor. Ill give you $50 overall for saving by shoping elsewhere but the other $50 goes to increased shipping.

But the monitor and speakers gotta come from somewhere ;-)

Anyway, the overall point was you needed to conceed the card as its $260 on super sale w/rebate these days. Theres a large difference in the 6600GT and the Raidon PLUS you need to spend more bank on the PSU to support the Raid

Listen, if you don't even know what parts you need... go to www.dell.com. When there's a good deal going on you'll be able to get a dell-built ready out of the box computer for the same or less than you can build one.

And for everyone else.. if you look at the dell servers, you can get a cheapass decent box, slap in a new video card and some more memory and have a hell of a deal.

[quote name='Cornfedwb']And for everyone else.. if you look at the dell servers, you can get a cheapass decent box, slap in a new video card and some more memory and have a hell of a deal.[/QUOTE]

Be very careful which ones you chose as some of them dont have AGP slots. Research well before you buy.

bread's done
Back