Please HELP me build a computer!!

Javery

CAGiversary!
Feedback
20 (100%)
OK, if I'm building a computer from the ground up, what do I need to buy? Here's my list - am I missing anything?

1. Motherboard (3Ghz)
2. Power supply
3. Hard drive (80GB)
4. RAM (512)
5. video card(?)
6. USB slots(?)
7. DVD reader/writer

Anyone know where to get this stuff on the cheap and if I'm missing anything? I'm just going to load XP on there from my laptop ... Thanks!

The mobo (motherboard) won't work unless it has a CPU to go with it. Most mobos today have a minimum of 4 USB slots which are more than enough for the standard home. If you need more, USB cables can daisy chain up to 128 USB devices (IIRC), and USB hubs are relatively cheap at $10.

If you're gonna get a hard drive, get something around 200GB. Most ppl say they'll never use it all but then come back a few months to a year later and tell me I was right. Besides, 200GB HD's can be found for $75 or less if you scour and scrounge around. Plus there's always deals happening. If you're going for brand, Seagates tend to be stable but very expensive while Maxtor/Western Digital round out the other 2 brands.

For RAM, I go for these brands in descending order of reliability:

Corsair XMS
Corsair Memory
OCZ
Mushkin
Kingston
Crucial
Kingmax

Any brands off the list and you're on your own.

There's the usual debate of Nvidia vs. ATI and the fanboys argue to no end which is better so I'll leave that to you. For the Nvidia side, I'd start off with a 6600gt or higher and ATI, go for a X800 XL or above.

Get the NEC 3540A (or 3520A if you wanna cheapass it) burner as it's pretty sweet. It'll handle almost any blank media you throw at it and then some. It's quite fast on the burn as well (make sure you have fast media to go with it though). It will take care of all your burning needs. If you think you want to separate your burning/reading needs get a sony 16x dvd-rom as it's fairly reliable.

For fans, get Zalman or Thermaltake as they've given me the best results in cooling.

For a case, any brand will do as long as the material is made out of predominantly aluminum. You can get a steel case but aluminum cases absorb heat more efficiently and thus gives you better internal case temperatures. If you had to go with a brand, Liang Li is good but be prepared to pay out the ass for it.

Go to http://www.newegg.com to buy all your parts. They're a pretty well recommended as well as reliable site. If anything is broken down, they'll usually replace it if the broken item is returned in a reasonable amount of time.

I've always used generic RAM without a problem.

The NEC's look good, just stay away from Sony's DVD burners/players.

Newegg is typically your best bet, but there's also TigerDirect. They're awful on rebates though. http://www.pricewatch.com/ can also come in handy.

Second on the Newegg. They're fast and reliable. Since it sounds like your first build, make sure to balance out the system, so there isn't a bottleneck (i.e. waste of cash).

newegg is a nice place, but if you have a frys nearby go there they often have things on sale or good bundles, and you dont have to wait for shipping

[quote name='jaykrue']The mobo (motherboard) won't work unless it has a CPU to go with it. Most mobos today have a minimum of 4 USB slots which are more than enough for the standard home. If you need more, USB cables can daisy chain up to 128 USB devices (IIRC), and USB hubs are relatively cheap at $10.

If you're gonna get a hard drive, get something around 200GB. Most ppl say they'll never use it all but then come back a few months to a year later and tell me I was right. Besides, 200GB HD's can be found for $75 or less if you scour and scrounge around. Plus there's always deals happening. If you're going for brand, Seagates tend to be stable but very expensive while Maxtor/Western Digital round out the other 2 brands.

For RAM, I go for these brands in descending order of reliability:

Corsair XMS
Corsair Memory
OCZ
Mushkin
Kingston
Crucial
Kingmax

Any brands off the list and you're on your own.

There's the usual debate of Nvidia vs. ATI and the fanboys argue to no end which is better so I'll leave that to you. For the Nvidia side, I'd start off with a 6600gt or higher and ATI, go for a X800 XL or above.

Get the NEC 3540A (or 3520A if you wanna cheapass it) burner as it's pretty sweet. It'll handle almost any blank media you throw at it and then some. It's quite fast on the burn as well (make sure you have fast media to go with it though). It will take care of all your burning needs. If you think you want to separate your burning/reading needs get a sony 16x dvd-rom as it's fairly reliable.

For fans, get Zalman or Thermaltake as they've given me the best results in cooling.

For a case, any brand will do as long as the material is made out of predominantly aluminum. You can get a steel case but aluminum cases absorb heat more efficiently and thus gives you better internal case temperatures. If you had to go with a brand, Liang Li is good but be prepared to pay out the ass for it.

Go to http://www.newegg.com to buy all your parts. They're a pretty well recommended as well as reliable site. If anything is broken down, they'll usually replace it if the broken item is returned in a reasonable amount of time.[/QUOTE]
Agreed on everything, I'd also get at least 1 GB of RAM. Most min specs require at least 512 but there is no way you're going to be able to run newer games, like BF 2, at 512 it's impossible.

Edit: Okay yeah you can run it at 512 with everything turned off but it looks like shit, just do yourself a favor and get at least 1 GB or higher. RAM is the most inexpensive upgrade you can do to a PC.

Wow - thanks for the responses guys. I haven't posted because I've been on vacation for a week... anyway, I have decided to just go with my laptop for now but I need to build a computer to go in my MAME cabinet (I was just going to use the laptop and build another but I think that's overkill for the cabinet).

Since I am quite computer illiterate I'd love people to suggest various parts and it would be extremely helpful to link to newegg.com or where ever I can get the best price for each part.

I think I need:

1. Motherboard (3Ghz) (with 4 USB slots)
2. Power supply
3. Hard drive (200GB)
4. RAM (512)
5. video card(?)
6. audio card(?)
7. speakers (2.1)
8. fans (I already have 3 80mm Vantec Stealth fans that will cool the entire inside of the cabinet)

I've heard about Nvidia and ATI but I know nothing about them so I don't think it will matter. I'm not going to be running anything except a few emulators (MAME, Daphne, Nester, SNES9X, etc.) on the computer so I don't need it for anything else but some of the .chd games like Killer Instinct and Mortal Kombat 3 need a pretty fast computer to run smoothly so the faster the better I guess - plus I might want to add to it down the line.

I would really appreciate any help you guys can give me. THANKS!!!

[quote name='Zer0X1999']Do any of the emulators rely on the graphics card, or are do they all run simply off of the CPU?[/QUOTE]

I don't know - is there a way to tell?

[quote name='javeryh']I think I need:

1. Motherboard (3Ghz) (with 4 USB slots)
2. Power supply
3. Hard drive (200GB)
4. RAM (512)
5. video card(?)
6. audio card(?)
7. speakers (2.1)
8. fans (I already have 3 80mm Vantec Stealth fans that will cool the entire inside of the cabinet)
[/QUOTE]

What's your price range?

Considering you could go for....

$166 mobo - Asus A8N-SLI Premium
$399 proc - AMD 64 4000+ s939 processor
$110 mem - 2 x 512mb Corsair Value DDR ram
$110 hd - Seagate Barracuda 200gig 7200rpm 8mb SATA HDD
$40 dvd - Lite-on dual layer DVDRW 16x4
$175 case / psu - VA9000 Thermaltake black case 430watt psu (or any such case)
$345 gpu - eVGA Geforce 6800 Ultra
$70 sound - Soundblaster Audigy 2 Value 7.1
--------------------------
$1415

And you may be able to do better on the prices with a little tweaking - all I did was search on google.

I recommend the Mobo above all other components listed. It has:

3 onboard USB + 2 as PCI card expansion = 5 total
Firewire
onBoard 7.1 sound (in case you don't want sound card)
dual onBoard SATA raid controllers
Gigabit ethernet
3x PCI slots
2x PCIe slots for SLI mode - good for future upgrade options
great overclock capability.

Enjoy!

-CPU AMD Althon 64 4000+ San Diego $368
-Mobo Asus A8N-SLI Premium $166
-video card XFX -GeForce 7800 GT $393
-hard drive Maxtor Serial ATA 250GB Hard Disk Drive 7200RPM 16MB Cache $105
-sound card Creative Labs Sound Blaster Audigy 2 ZS 7.1 PCI $59
-case / psu - VA9000 Thermaltake black case 430watt psu (really pick soemthing u like) $169
-DVD Lite-on dual layer DVDRW 16x4 $40
-mem OCZ Gold Series EL PC-3200 $145
Total $1445
if don't want to spend that kind of money then
Athlon 3000+ Venice
MSI-Neo4-F
1Gb of vaule ram
120GB hardrive
X800GT 256MB

[quote name='javeryh']OK, if I'm building a computer from the ground up, what do I need to buy? Here's my list - am I missing anything?

1. Motherboard (3Ghz)
2. Power supply
3. Hard drive (80GB)
4. RAM (512)
5. video card(?)
6. USB slots(?)
7. DVD reader/writer

Anyone know where to get this stuff on the cheap and if I'm missing anything? I'm just going to load XP on there from my laptop ... Thanks![/QUOTE]
Due to the fact you don't know half the stuff I wouldn't recommend you getting it due to can you install it?

Considering the fact that you are running strictly MAME on the computer, the systems avobe are a bit on the overkill side (unless I'm wrong and your using this for more than merely arcade emulation then go with one of the systems above)

THis should serve you fine for the emulation (All parts from Newegg.com):

MOtherboard:
ABIT KN8 Socket 939 NVIDIA nForce4-4X ATX AMD Motherboard - Retail - $83.00

Powersupply:
Thermaltake Silent PurePower TT-420AD(DUAL FAN) ATX 420W Power Supply 115/230 V UL, CSA, TUV, CE - Retail - $38.99

Processor:
AMD Athlon 64 3000+ Venice 1GHz FSB 512KB L2 Cache Socket 939 Processor - Retail - $146.00

RAM:
CORSAIR ValueSelect 1GB (2 x 512MB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM Unbuffered DDR2 533 (PC2 4200) Dual Channel Kit System Memory - Retail - $81.99
You stated 512MB, but 1 gig is temptingly cheap. Plus memory prices are expected to rise soon. :D

Speakers (2.1 as specified):
Logitech X-230 32 Watts 2.1 Speaker - Retail - $32.98

Sound Card:
Since you want a 2.1 system, the integrated sound card from the motherboard should serve well enough.

HDD:
Seagate Barracuda 7200.8 ST3250823AS 250GB 7200 RPM 8MB Cache Serial ATA150 Hard Drive - OEM - $112.75

As for the graphics cards, I'm not sure how intensive MAME is on the GPU, but I assume it's mostly CPU intensive so something simple should do:

SAPPHIRE 100120 Radeon X300SE HyperMemory 128MB DDR HyperMemory (32MB Onboard VRAM) 128-bit DDR PCI Express x16 Video Card - OEM - $48.00

If the emulator is GPU intensive, then go with the best card you can get (6800 Ultra or higher. 7800GTX if your really willing to spend.)

Grand Total (as is): $534.71

Est max with a better graphics cards(7800GTX): ~$1000

[quote name='Animefalcon']-CPU AMD Althon 64 4000+ San Diego $368
-Mobo Asus A8N-SLI Premium $166
-video card XFX -GeForce 7800 GT $393
-hard drive Maxtor Serial ATA 250GB Hard Disk Drive 7200RPM 16MB Cache $105
-sound card Creative Labs Sound Blaster Audigy 2 ZS 7.1 PCI $59
-case / psu - VA9000 Thermaltake black case 430watt psu (really pick soemthing u like) $169
-DVD Lite-on dual layer DVDRW 16x4 $40
-mem OCZ Gold Series EL PC-3200 $145
Total $1445
if don't want to spend that kind of money then
Athlon 3000+ Venice
MSI-Neo4-F
1Gb of vaule ram
120GB hardrive
X800GT 256MB[/QUOTE]

There is a QUOTE button if you wanted to quote me and just change to 7800GT ;)

[quote name='Zer0X1999']

[/QUOTE]

I'll also vouch for this set of speakers. I payed $55 for my set and they were still worth every penny. It has really nice sound quality and nice full bass, only thing is they feel incredibly "focused" (They're pretty loud sitting right next to them, but they're much quieter across the room. It's actually a real nice feature for me since my mother is watching TV most of the time in the same room. They can still pump out volume across the house though if you turn em up real loud.)

[quote name='Zer0X1999']Considering the fact that you are running strictly MAME on the computer, the systems avobe are a bit on the overkill side (unless I'm wrong and your using this for more than merely arcade emulation then go with one of the systems above)

THis should serve you fine for the emulation (All parts from Newegg.com):

MOtherboard:
ABIT KN8 Socket 939 NVIDIA nForce4-4X ATX AMD Motherboard - Retail - $83.00

Powersupply:
Thermaltake Silent PurePower TT-420AD(DUAL FAN) ATX 420W Power Supply 115/230 V UL, CSA, TUV, CE - Retail - $38.99

Processor:
AMD Athlon 64 3000+ Venice 1GHz FSB 512KB L2 Cache Socket 939 Processor - Retail - $146.00

RAM:
CORSAIR ValueSelect 1GB (2 x 512MB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM Unbuffered DDR2 533 (PC2 4200) Dual Channel Kit System Memory - Retail - $81.99
You stated 512MB, but 1 gig is temptingly cheap. Plus memory prices are expected to rise soon. :D

Sound Card:
Since you want a 2.1 system, the integrated sound card from the motherboard should serve well enough.

HDD:
Seagate Barracuda 7200.8 ST3250823AS 250GB 7200 RPM 8MB Cache Serial ATA150 Hard Drive - OEM - $112.75

As for the graphics cards, I'm not sure how intensive MAME is on the GPU, but I assume it's mostly CPU intensive so something simple should do:

SAPPHIRE 100120 Radeon X300SE HyperMemory 128MB DDR HyperMemory (32MB Onboard VRAM) 128-bit DDR PCI Express x16 Video Card - OEM - $48.00

If the emulator is GPU intensive, then go with the best card you can get (6800 Ultra or higher. 7800GTX if your really willing to spend.)

Grand Total (as is): $534.71

Est max with a better graphics cards(7800GTX): ~$1000[/QUOTE]

Awesome awesome awesome. Thanks for taking the time to do all of that. How hard is putting all of this together? I've opened up a tower before and I can kind of tell how everything fits together but what happens when I turn it on for the forst time? I mean, I guess I'll need XP on there or some type of operating system so I can install and tweak the emulators. I just got MAME up and running on my Pentium 4 Dell laptop and it runs all of the new games (Killer Instinct, Street Fighter Alpha 3, Mortal Kombat 3, etc.) perfectly. I could never have figured it out though without XP on there.... hmmmm....

[quote name='javeryh']Awesome awesome awesome. Thanks for taking the time to do all of that. How hard is putting all of this together? I've opened up a tower before and I can kind of tell how everything fits together but what happens when I turn it on for the forst time? I mean, I guess I'll need XP on there or some type of operating system so I can install and tweak the emulators. I just got MAME up and running on my Pentium 4 Dell laptop and it runs all of the new games (Killer Instinct, Street Fighter Alpha 3, Mortal Kombat 3, etc.) perfectly. I could never have figured it out though without XP on there.... hmmmm....[/QUOTE]

Not too long. Besides I love looking around Newegg, so it was just an excuse :)

Well if this is your first build, try to read up some stuff about it before doing anything. Don't be afraid to consult the manual. It's not really all that hard, just make sure to keep static away from the computer parts. I usually hold a screwdriver bit when I touch any of the parts.

The usual order to install things is (well at least mine):

Motherboard
CPU
RAM
PSU
Video Card
Sound Card
HDD

This site seems kinda nice detailing how to build:

http://www.pcmech.com/byopc/

[quote name='javeryh']Awesome awesome awesome. Thanks for taking the time to do all of that. How hard is putting all of this together? I've opened up a tower before and I can kind of tell how everything fits together but what happens when I turn it on for the forst time? I mean, I guess I'll need XP on there or some type of operating system so I can install and tweak the emulators. I just got MAME up and running on my Pentium 4 Dell laptop and it runs all of the new games (Killer Instinct, Street Fighter Alpha 3, Mortal Kombat 3, etc.) perfectly. I could never have figured it out though without XP on there.... hmmmm....[/QUOTE]

As far as how easy... it tends to get a little difficult when the time comes to connect your separate components via all the cabling provided.. Do you have any friends who have built their own PCs? Perhaps they can help you?

[quote name='javeryh']OK, if I'm building a computer from the ground up, what do I need to buy? Here's my list - am I missing anything?

1. Motherboard (3Ghz)
2. Power supply
3. Hard drive (80GB)
4. RAM (512)
5. video card(?)
6. USB slots(?)
7. DVD reader/writer

Anyone know where to get this stuff on the cheap and if I'm missing anything? I'm just going to load XP on there from my laptop ... Thanks![/QUOTE]

try www.pricewatch.com

you'll find the cheapest prices for everything you need there...

They way i build a pc is
mount CPU into mobo
Place heatsink/fan in mobo and connect it into the mobo
place dimm into dimm slots
mount the mobo into the case
connect the 20pin PSU cable to the mobo
connect pc speaker,restart,hardrive, lights,...
install Cd-rom/dvd-RW drives
install hard drive
insall #.5 floopy drive
connect IDE/SATA plus the 4 pin spu connector to drives and 3 pin to floopy
install sound card
install video card
connect all fans
wire tie everthing
boot your newly built rig up

bread's done
Back