Please help me decide which laptop to get!

BrolyB593

CAGiversary!
Feedback
206 (100%)
I need some help/input! I am getting a new laptop and it is between an ASUS g750jh and the Alienware 17

The ASUS:
2.4GHz i7-4700HQ
24GB RAM (3x8GB out of 4 slots)
Nvidia GTX 780M 4GB
60Hz 1920x1080 Matte Display
Raid 0 128GB SSD + 1TB 5400 RPM HDD
(Plus comes with a free copy of AC:Black Flag)

Pros - Cheaper, More RAM, Raid 0 set up, larger but slower storage
Cons - Slower Processor, 60Hz Matte Display, physically huge, not upgradeable

Price = $2,239

The Alienware:
2.7GHz i7-4800MQ
16GB RAM (2x8GB out of 4 slots)
Nvidia GTX 780M 4GB
120Hz 1920x1080 Glossy 3D Display
256GB SSD + 750GB 7200 RPM HDD

Pros - Better Processor, great display, sleeker design and build quality, upgradeable, faster secondary HDD
Cons - Expensive, Less RAM, No Raid 0, smaller HDD, no AC:Black Flag

Price = $2,922

I can't decide!! I have a loan through my work that covers $2,500 so the Alienware would be a little extra out of pocket whereas the ASUS wouldn't. I plan on keeping this thing for as long as possible however so that is what I am leaning towards the Alienware.

Any input is appreciated!!

Last edited by a moderator:
ibuybower.com choose a default laptop, then select the components that you want. this would also be a much cheaper route.

ibuybower.com choose a default laptop, then select the components that you want. this would also be a much cheaper route.
I specifically listed two builds from established companies that I want and was hoping for a discussion on those.

I am well aware of the alternatives and have narrowed down what I want to the two models above.

ah i wouldn't choose either of those. i would just keep saving until i could afford everything i wanted. (which i am currently doing.)
I am an animator and have the Cintiq Companion Hybrid and really want a quality laptop that will last so that I can animate and work on stuff wherever. Plus like I said work is fronting the bill for the most part and it becomes only about $50 out each check.

Ahhh gotcha. wouldn't animating require a lot of RAM?
Yeah, I am running my home machine with 16gb and haven't had any issues yet. The Alienware I can easily upgrade if I feel the need for like $120 to make it an even 32gb down the road. The ASUS obviously is better from the get go. ASUS has a bunch of crap about voiding warranties when opening up the machine and stuff and so I worry I would be stuck without 2 sets of dual channel ram down the road like with the Alienware

Are you dead set on a laptop? For that much, you could build a monstrosity of a gaming rig and buy a productivity laptop. 

If you are set on one of those two, I would honestly get the Asus. While the Alienware's upgradability is nice, both of the set ups you have already come with some high-end components anyway. With laptop gaming, you're already going to be paying an arm and a leg just for marginal benefits and it seems like you already have a budget in place and the performance differences between those two laptops are gonna be marginal at best. The Alienware probably has more bells and whistles (lights, fancy control software which controls stuff you can usually change on your own, etc.) but performance wise, I doubt it's substantially better (definitely not $700 better).

And I honestly never understood the disdain with matte displays... sure, they don't look as "vibrant" as glossy displays but they also don't have issues with glare and don't strain your eyes as much (which most people might not realize, even though it's happening). 

Are you dead set on a laptop? For that much, you could build a monstrosity of a gaming rig and buy a productivity laptop.

If you are set on one of those two, I would honestly get the Asus. While the Alienware's upgradability is nice, both of the set ups you have already come with some high-end components anyway. With laptop gaming, you're already going to be paying an arm and a leg just for marginal benefits and it seems like you already have a budget in place and the performance differences between those two laptops are gonna be marginal at best. The Alienware probably has more bells and whistles (lights, fancy control software which controls stuff you can usually change on your own, etc.) but performance wise, I doubt it's substantially better (definitely not $700 better).

And I honestly never understood the disdain with matte displays... sure, they don't look as "vibrant" as glossy displays but they also don't have issues with glare and don't strain your eyes as much (which most people might not realize, even though it's happening).
I already have a beastly rig : P

This laptop is for work on the go. I am an animator and I rarely find myself working at home at the moment and am usually other places within Chicago and such. I have a Cintiq Companion Hybrid that is okay for doodling on the go, but is not capable of running, Flash, Photoshop, After Effects and so on without being connected to a PC. So now with a new laptop I can animate anywhere!

I actually did end up getting the Alienware actually, though the biggest factor was size. The ASUS is larger than other 17inch laptops and won't fit in most. I was looking at dropping about $170 on a massive laptop backpack if I were to get that.

Instead though if I got the Alienware I would save over $100 on the bag and just grab a Targus XL and that way I would not have to lug around such a behemoth of a bag throughout the city.

Either way, thank you everyone for your input!

bread's done
Back