Please help me with my Blackberry phone

Chitown021

CAGiversary!
Feedback
17 (100%)
Since you guys & gals have been awesome at helping me with past issues I thought I would ask once again...

A couple days ago I got a new phone. I was using a Razr V3 but switched to a Blackberry 8700g. My dad gave me the phone. His company switched cell phone service providers so he could no longer use the phone. I plugged in my SIM card, formatted the Blackberry, and personalized the settings. My problem is I cannot disable the password requirement or the security timeout option. Right now the phone is set to lock every two minutes.

I called T-Mobile tech support (my service provider) and they put me in touch with the BB tech support people. They told me that the reason I can't change those two options was because the company loaded a security I.T. policy onto the phone with those settings. He said the only way to change it would be to have my dad call the I.T. department, ask them to connect to the Enterprise BB server, and send a new blank policy to the phone.

So finally here's my question: Is this really the only way to unlock those settings? This is the first time I've dealt with a Blackberry so I really don't know much about them. Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Anyone? Dad is going to talk to the I.T. people at his work about unlocking the security settings. I'm just wondering if there's another way to reset the device in the event that he can't get the I.T. people to do it.

Options -> Security Settings -> General Settings -> Click -> Wipe Handheld?

Not guaranteeing anything. It'll likely delete EVERYTHING (apps, data, etc.).

[quote name='JJSP']Options -> Security Settings -> General Settings -> Click -> Wipe Handheld?

Not guaranteeing anything. It'll likely delete EVERYTHING (apps, data, etc.).[/quote]

That was the first thing I tried. It cleared everything except for those two settings. There's a little red lock symbol next to ENABLED and 2 MIN on the security options screen.

DaPhatty to the rescue!

Wipe Handheld does not remove the IT security policy. This was done to prevent thiefs from fully utilizing stolen property.

That being said, there are some work arounds on the web that you can try. Personally, I've tried a few of them and have never been 100% successful at removing the IT Policy's limitations. The best way is indeed to take it back to your Dad's IT department. While they won't be able to remove the IT policy they can overwrite the policy with one that is not limited in any way. In fact, to do so is quite a trivial matter.

If you'd rather not use that option, check out www.blackberryforums.com. They have several posts that explain the intricacies of IT Policy circumvention. Good luck and let me know how it goes.

[quote name='daphatty']DaPhatty to the rescue!

Wipe Handheld does not remove the IT security policy. This was done to prevent thiefs from fully utilizing stolen property.

That being said, there are some work arounds on the web that you can try. Personally, I've tried a few of them and have never been 100% successful at removing the IT Policy's limitations. The best way is indeed to take it back to your Dad's IT department. While they won't be able to remove the IT policy they can overwrite the policy with one that is not limited in any way. In fact, to do so is quite a trivial matter.

If you'd rather not use that option, check out www.blackberryforums.com. They have several posts that explain the intricacies of IT Policy circumvention. Good luck and let me know how it goes.[/quote]

Thanks daphatty for the info! That must've been what the Blackberry tech support guy was talking about. He told me I needed to have my Dad's IT dept sent through a blank policy to release those settings. I'll check out the link you provided and will update the thread with the results.

Daphatty, when you've tried to use the workaround mentioned in the blackberry forum what types of trouble have you run into? I noticed it says you can permanently lose some functions like using a bluetooth keyboard. I'm debating on whether I should try the work around for the time being until dad has a chance to talk to IT. If it works then great, if it doesn't it sounds like the old policy will automatically be reninstated once IT connects to the Blackberry Enterprise Server and at that point they can go ahead and sent thru a blank one.

[quote name='JJSP']Options -> Security Settings -> General Settings -> Click -> Wipe Handheld?

Not guaranteeing anything. It'll likely delete EVERYTHING (apps, data, etc.).[/quote]

this wil work but you need to back everything up on the pc with outlook or windows contacts. when you wipe these blackberrys you will lose all data on the sim as well.

[quote name='ranger_mj']this wil work but you need to back everything up on the pc with outlook or windows contacts. when you wipe these blackberrys you will lose all data on the sim as well.[/quote]

It will work for wiping out everything but the IT policy that was saved to the phone by the IT dept of the company that my dad works for.

yeah, I believe the only way to do this is to have ti connect to the BB server and get wiped from there.

I personally HATE Blackberry's...... Windows Mobile is so much better

[quote name='Drnick']yeah, I believe the only way to do this is to have ti connect to the BB server and get wiped from there.

I personally HATE Blackberry's...... Windows Mobile is so much better[/quote]

Given the choice between the two I would probably choose Windows Mobile but free is free. I'm just grateful that my dad passed the 8700g onto me for nothing. It came at a great time because I had just gone to the T-Mobile store to see about getting a new phone. My Razr is getting ready to crap out. It keeps locking up and giving me that damn "INSERT SIM" error. From what I've read that's a pretty common issue with the Razr.

EDIT: I also wanted to say thanks for everyone that has dropped in to comment. As always your help is greatly appreciated!

UPDATE: Since that 2 min lockout is annoying the crap out of me and I don't know how long it will be until dad will be able to speak with IT I decided to give daphatty's suggestion a try. The procedure worked like a charm! The only option I don't have control over now is the firewall setting. I can't change it from ENABLED.

Thanks again daphatty! Seems like this would come in handy for anyone that might buy a used Blackberry off of eBay and it has a IT policy still in place.

bread's done
Back