Please Help. What's the best Disc Repair/Resurfacer?

peterhql

CAGiversary!
Feedback
5 (100%)
I just bought a Memorex Optifix, it's the lousiest piece of shit ever made. The Optifix just made things worse leaving light circular marks all over my discs. Does anyone know from their own experience what actually works and what can get rid of the damage caused by the optifix.

I bought DVD DR a while ago and tested it on one of my dvds. My DVD DR leaves evenly spaced radial marks all around the disc. I don't think I will be using it to remove scratches on my discs. I will only use it as a last resort when the disc no longer load in my DVD player so I have nothing to loose if the unit doesn't repair the scratches properly.

Thats exactly what happened to my discs, it's frustrating when you purchase something to fix something and all it ends up doing is damaging it further.

[quote name='peterhql']Thats exactly what happened to my discs, it's frustrating when you purchase something to fix something and all it ends up doing is damaging it further.[/QUOTE]

So I take it the disks still don't work? I've had some really ugly looking resurfaced games before that worked just fine.

But if nothing else works you can always try the pot of boiling water technique.:D

[quote name='zionoverfire']So I take it the disks still don't work? I've had some really ugly looking resurfaced games before that worked just fine.

But if nothing else works you can always try the pot of boiling water technique.:D[/QUOTE]
I've tried the boiling water before and it messed up my copy of XIII. Is there some other secret to the trick besides just putting it in boiling water?

[quote name='dcfox']I've tried the boiling water before and it messed up my copy of XIII. Is there some other secret to the trick besides just putting it in boiling water?[/QUOTE]

I hear putting it in the microwave somehow uses the microwaves themselves to correctly neuralize the protons in the CD's binary coding, and it'll overwrite corrupted work.

[quote name='dcfox']I've tried the boiling water before and it messed up my copy of XIII. Is there some other secret to the trick besides just putting it in boiling water?[/QUOTE]

Yeah, take it out. ;)

[quote name='Moxio']I hear putting it in the microwave somehow uses the microwaves themselves to correctly neuralize the protons in the CD's binary coding, and it'll overwrite corrupted work.[/QUOTE]

I'm trying that with everyone of my discs! Thanks for the information!

Handheld resurfacing devices never, ever work, they only destroy your disc. You can clean your disc with a cleaner, but do not attempt to resurface your discs at home with anything like a disc doctor.

The only way you should be resurfacing your discs is with a professional resurfacing machine, such as Azuradisc. Some video game stores and used cd stores have these, but not EB or GS. They usually charge $2-$5 per disc, sometimes extra for GC games. They work great, and barring any extremely deep scratches, or damage to the foil, the disc will be mint afterwards.

[quote name='dafoomie']Handheld resurfacing devices never, ever work, they only destroy your disc. You can clean your disc with a cleaner, but do not attempt to resurface your discs at home with anything like a disc doctor.

The only way you should be resurfacing your discs is with a professional resurfacing machine, such as Azuradisc. Some video game stores and used cd stores have these, but not EB or GS. They usually charge $2-$5 per disc, sometimes extra for GC games. They work great, and barring any extremely deep scratches, or damage to the foil, the disc will be mint afterwards.[/QUOTE]

Thanks for the info, I was just about to say nobody has recommended anything yet.
Any idea what these Azuradisc machines cost?

*EDIT, nevermind I just checked out their website. WOW!

[quote name='peterhql']Thanks for the info, I was just about to say nobody has recommended anything yet.
Any idea what these Azuradisc machines cost?

*EDIT, nevermind I just checked out their website. WOW![/QUOTE]
Yeah, they start at 1k. Thats why these are professional machines. Well worth the price for a used game or music store, though. They do a good job.

bread's done
Back