Please Help- Xbox Live related inquiry

thahamburglir

CAGiversary!
Hey, sorry about this guys, but i need your expertise. I am currently switching from a set-up where I've got my Xbox 360 hardwired to the internet to one where it'll be connected wirelessly via my wireless router. My question is, what is the best/cheapest solution to recieve the signal from the router on my Xbox? I've checked out the Xbox 360 Wireless Network Adapter, but I'm convinced that there must be superior solutions available. Several similar products on Amazon (i.e. Linksys and D-Link Gaming Adapters) are better priced, but have some pretty horrible reviews. If anyone can shed any insight into my best options for this situation, or products that you can recommend, I would greatly appreciate it. Thanks

(I did some searching for similar post and didn't find the information I was looking for, my apologies if this has been asked)

Hopefully, luck renders in your favor and you find an open box deal like I stumbled upon at Best Buy. I praised the great panda god in the sky after I bought it.

[quote name='chasemurata']Hopefully, luck renders in your favor and you find an open box deal like I stumbled upon at Best Buy. I praised the great panda god in the sky after I bought it.[/QUOTE]

Open box for which hardware, thought? Can anyone recommend a solid, reliable device to stongly pick-up a wireless signal for the Xbox 360? Preferrably

Lol your not the onl y one ZForce
Anywho back on topic grab the Official Wifi adapter for retailprice or go on craigslist and get one thats where I got mines from for 40 bucks. Its worth it just plugin and you ready to go after u setup network settings.

if you have a laptop with an ethernet port and wireless card i can tell you how to do use it, thats what i do with my spare laptop instead of bringing my current laptop into the 360 room everytime i want to play

Don't buy that overpriced Microsoft wireless adapter (unless you find it extremely cheap).

Spend the $40-70 and buy a router.

Or, if you have a computer with two ethernet ports (or a laptop that connects to wireless internet), you can share the connections between them.

Either of those are potentially better solutions over the wireless adapter. It's priced way higher than it should be.

[quote name='Rig']Don't buy that overpriced Microsoft wireless adapter (unless you find it extremely cheap).

Spend the $40-70 and buy a router.

Or, if you have a computer with two ethernet ports (or a laptop that connects to wireless internet), you can share the connections between them.

Either of those are potentially better solutions over the wireless adapter. It's priced way higher than it should be.[/quote]The router is the most fully-featured option, though it's the hardest to get going in comparison to some of the other options.

I have an access point that I use to get my 360, PS3, Wii, OG Xbox and XA-2 HD-DVD player all online. It wasn't the easiest thing to get running, though it's the best option over all.

The MS adapter is the priciest option new, though the easiest to get working from the configuration side of things. The gaming adapters are a little cheaper, though they take a little more work. Router is the cheapest option, though takes the most work to get going.

It all depends on your skill set and comfort level with working to get things working.

You might want to try and get a hold of one of the Logitech Play Link Wireless Bridges. I got a set for about 20 bucks awhile back thanks to CAG and have used it for over a year with my 360. I've not had any problems with the signal dropping and the two units are fairly far away: opposite side of the house, on two different floors. You dont have to get it from the site I listed (I dont know how reputable they are). I just needed a quickie visual aid.

I believe I got mine from Amazon new, but they dont seem to have it in stock now.

Thanks for all the input. A router definately seems like it would be a good choice for me, as it is always practical to have another wireless router available, however based on my previous experiances with setting up wireless networks, I'd rather spend a little more to avoid the headache of trial & error. Its sounding like the Xbox 360 wireless adapter is the easiest to set up, but does it work as good or better (i.e. stronger signal, less dropped signal) as the wireless bridges/access points? The real bummer is that I bought the original Xbox Wireless Adapter for the old Xbox back in the day, but I stopped using Xbox Live on that so long ago, I think it might be gone forever. That one was like $120 back when I bought it too!

[quote name='cochesecochese']Do you still have the old adapter? They work fine with the 360.[/quote]

That's what I use and I love it. Absolutely no problems with connectivity, granted the device itself can burn your hand if you touch it.

Just unplug it every few days for an hour so it won't burn your house down and you'll have a cheaper wireless solution.

[quote name='cochesecochese']Do you still have the old adapter? They work fine with the 360.[/QUOTE]

Yeah, heard they work, but I've had no luck finding the damn thing! Who knows, maybe I'll tear my house apart and hope its still around...

bread's done
Back