Pokemon Black and White: General Discussion and Info: For Real This Time

[quote name='adriley313']i have no intrest in the 3DS right now
looks cool but no games i wanna play
ill be rockin pokemon and dragon quest for awhile[/QUOTE]

This. Less then 2 weeks away.

[quote name='SynGamer']I've been reading a few articles lately about how the 3DS will spell the end of the DS's run. Are there anymore big titles announced to be coming out on the DS this year and next? Aside from Okamiden and PM B/W that is...?[/QUOTE]

Not that I'm aware of. I imagine it'll get localized games from japan and shovelware, movie games, etc.. for a few more years.

So has anybody planned who their Pokemon Black and White team is going to consist of? I know I want Hydreigon on my team for sure. He looks so awesome and a Dragon/Dark combo is just nasty. I'm also a sucker for Dragons :D

I've decided on my team. It'll be Samurott, Galvantula, Braviary, Excadrill, Chandelure, and Haxorus. I even have their movesets planned more or less. Name any Pokemon, and I probably have a move to do super-effective damage to it.

I was going to use Hydreigon but he evolves so damn late (64). In fact, a lot of them evolve really late compared to past generations.

[quote name='icedrake523']I've decided on my team. It'll be Samurott, Galvantula, Braviary, Excadrill, Chandelure, and Haxorus. I even have their movesets planned more or less. Name any Pokemon, and I probably have a move to do super-effective damage to it.

I was going to use Hydreigon but he evolves so damn late (64). In fact, a lot of them evolve really late compared to past generations.[/QUOTE]

Thats almost the exact team I had in mind myself. The only difference is I'm using Krookodile over Excadrill, though I was considering him for a while. On another note, I hope they don't pull what they did with D/P/Pt and make certain Wifi events exclusive to the eventual 3rd edition game. Darkrai and a couple others were for Platinum only last gen, which was just a cheap tactic to push more sales.

The 3DS won't end the DS's run. They'll sell side-by-side until the 3DS drops in price to DS levels.

IIRC the GBA was still selling when the DS came out.

[quote name='DOMINATOR912']Thats almost the exact team I had in mind myself. The only difference is I'm using Krookodile over Excadrill, though I was considering him for a while.[/quote]
Great minds think alike :D
I chose Excadrill since he's a better type combination in terms of weakness/resistances.

On another note, I hope they don't pull what they did with D/P/Pt and make certain Wifi events exclusive to the eventual 3rd edition game. Darkrai and a couple others were for Platinum only last gen, which was just a cheap tactic to push more sales.
I doubt it since the DS will be dead by the time a 3rd edition comes out.

[quote name='Lone_Prodigy']IIRC the GBA was still selling when the DS came out.[/QUOTE]

It was, because Nintendo never expected the DS to take off like it did. Anyone remember the three pillars? It was supposed to be three seperate platforms that Nintendo supported -- Gamecube, GBA, and DS. The DS, however, took off bigtime, and Nintendo quickly dropped the GBA brand. After I got my DS, I know I only played the GBA a few times afterwards. I'd pretty much already played everything I wanted to, and gaming on DS was just so much more fun for me.

But yeah, the DS killed the GBA. The 3DS may not swiftly herald the end of the DS due to the price difference between them, but it will surely be pushing it out of the marketplace.

[quote name='adriley313']3DS what?
Im buying this. finally it hits the states.

http://www.amazon.com/Special-Pokém...NIJO/ref=sr_1_9?ie=UTF8&qid=1298513930&sr=8-9
41oXg8w44pL.jpg

may pick this up day one
looks amazing[/QUOTE]

It's definitely a beautiful system.

I'll be selling my DSi on eBay or CAG as soon as I transfer my DSiWare off. Just no reason to have two systems that are so similar.

Unfortunately I can't use an animated GIF as an avatar, so here's what it's supposed to be along with the full image I put together. Found the art work on Halolz.com so credit belongs to it's creator

pokemonmgs.gif

pokemonmgsolid.jpg

[quote name='icedrake523']Unfortunately I can't use an animated GIF as an avatar, so here's what it's supposed to be along with the full image I put together. Found the art work on Halolz.com so credit belongs to it's creator

pokemonmgs.gif

pokemonmgsolid.jpg
[/QUOTE]

metal_gear_pokemon_by_keijimatsu-d33f79v.png

So, I already know I want the new Pokemon game. (I pour time into every generation.) But because I already knew I wanted it I didn't bother reading up on Black and White. Could anyone summarize the major differences between the two versions? I'm trying to decide on which one I want to pre-order.

(edit) I guess I'm looking for impressions from people not easily gleaned from Serebii. (I've read the pages about differences there.)

Black is geared more towards people who enjoy competitive battling. It has an exclusive city in-game which sells TMs which are otherwise difficult to get. Not only that, it allows you to battle a nice cycle of NPCs with lvl 50+ pokemon daily, so it helps you train their levels.

White is geared more towards the "Gotta Catch Them All" folks. It has an exclusive map to with pokemon to capture that are otherwise unavailable in B/W unless you trade from other versions. However... the system is very odd, and it can take you a LONG time to run into any of the pokemon. They're nothing rare either, they're just your runofthemill normal pokemon that can be bred and whatnot.

White has the better competitive battling main-legendary though since it doesn't take x2 damage from Stealth Rocks. That's a problem with the B/W series. It brought back legendary exclusives. So you'll have to trade with another version to get them all. You even need the opposite game's legendary genie to capture the 3rd one as well.

From what I read, the items on sale in Black City aren't TMs, but random rare items instead. The best ones I can remember off the top of my head are Heart Scales and all the evolution stones, including Dusk. If it wasn't for White's version exclusives I would have probably gone for Black myself, but I plan to use Braviary in the game and prefer White's legendary.

Has anyone heard of a good HM slave yet? Really wish they would just make HM moves special abilities and not take up a move slot, but I guess the makers enjoy making people unhappy in that particular sense.

My strategy is the same as in every other Pokemon game: Go for water type.

I've always done this and had no problem with gym leaders.

Plus, in this game the water type is named Oshawott, which makes me absurdly happy because I can name him Revolver and laugh as I call him out of his pokeball.

One more week to go I believe can't wait!

I'll be getting both black and white I would've gotten one of the special edition DSI, but I spent too much at the pokemon center at the mall it was worth it I love those plush toys and big figurines.

Ah well I got the Gyakuten Kenji DSI that's enough for me.

I plan to trade two sets of starters so both versions I have both I like playing that way.. Oshawott is my favorite starter though.

[quote name='DOMINATOR912']From what I read, the items on sale in Black City aren't TMs, but random rare items instead. The best ones I can remember off the top of my head are Heart Scales and all the evolution stones, including Dusk. If it wasn't for White's version exclusives I would have probably gone for Black myself, but I plan to use Braviary in the game and prefer White's legendary. [/QUOTE]

Oh, my bad. I read TMs in an old review that was discussing how they were perm and how black city had the advantage on it.

I'm getting both. The two seem different enough to where playing through both doesn't seem that bad.

I also got the CE guide from Amazon (had a $5 GC, so it was only $11.66). I was wondering if anyone thought that it was worth the extra $5.50 or so over the regular guide. I don't usually buy the guides for Pokemon games, but it seemed worth it.

OP here, sorry for not being here for the last few months

Im accepting Friend Codes via PM for your Japanese copies whenever you want (and I also cleaned up the OP altogether)

I preordered Black version by the way

I kind of wanted White version originally, but hyping for it too much got me burnt out on it (if that makes any sense, I think it does). I figured getting the lesser wanted version would bring a bit more excitement to it for some reason. Also, Braviary is going to be overused horribly when the online scene starts up, and not that many of the White Forest Pokemon excite me. I think the evolutionary family Im most excited for right now is Blitzle's.

[quote name='Filler2001']OP here, sorry for not being here for the last few months

Im accepting Friend Codes via PM for your Japanese copies whenever you want (and I also cleaned up the OP altogether)

I preordered Black version by the way

I kind of wanted White version originally, but hyping for it too much got me burnt out on it (if that makes any sense, I think it does). I figured getting the lesser wanted version would bring a bit more excitement to it for some reason. Also, Braviary is going to be overused horribly when the online scene starts up, and not that many of the White Forest Pokemon excite me. I think the evolutionary family Im most excited for right now is Blitzle's.[/QUOTE]

Eh o.o But isn't Black the one more in demand?

Ah, I guess Amazon is better to determine it then what I was using. I was just going by the boards on Gamefaq and the fact my local gamestop said they have nearly three times as many black preorders over white.

Guess Las Vegas lik.. not finishing that sentence.

Thinking about it now, I think I might get Black instead. I'd rather have more trainers to fight than Pokemon. I can always cheat to give myself the White exclusives.

Black for me first then I'll pick up White later on. Would love to have trainers to battle in the higher levels to finally assemble a good team.

How many have a DSi to play this on? I never thought I would get one as my DS is 4 years and still has the battery life of a champ, but I don't want to miss out on anything.

[quote name='xtreme_Zr2']How many have a DSi to play this on? I never thought I would get one as my DS is 4 years and still has the battery life of a champ, but I don't want to miss out on anything.[/QUOTE]

I had a red original DS and I got a DSi last Christmas. It's a great system, it was worth the upgrade then but now I'd just wait for the 3DS.

found this

seribii.net

DSi Enhancments
As stated above, Pokémon Black & White are DSi Enhanced. As such, they will only work on DSis of the same region as the game. However, despite this, there are a variety of new features exclusive to the DSi. First is the Xtransceiver which does allow for voice and video chat between up to 4 friends locally and 1 friend over the Nintendo Wi-Fi Connection. In addition to this, Pokémon Black & White are capable of connecting to the Internet via the WPA encryption as opposed to previous games only being able to connect to WiFi through no encryption, or WEP.
The games can be played on any model of DS

Seems to be that way. I was curious about what the DSi had going for itself with this game but I really don't mind not being able to voice and video chat with friends. The WPA capability would be nice but I already switched my network over to WEP anyways. Will just stick with my DS lite.

Thanks for the info..I think I pass on the DSi for now. I'd rather get a limited edition 3DS when they come out. I'm a sucker for limited colors.

And only 7 days for the people in NYC. They get it a day earlier than us at either Pokeworld or Nintendo store, I can't remember which.

As much as I want Pokemon Black, I'm going to wait for Goozex to feed it to me. I have some major good stuff to play: Ghost Trick, Golden Sun, and I'm still playing DQIX. I can afford to be patient.

...right? :joystick:

[quote name='Altanis']I'm getting both. The two seem different enough to where playing through both doesn't seem that bad.

I also got the CE guide from Amazon (had a $5 GC, so it was only $11.66). I was wondering if anyone thought that it was worth the extra $5.50 or so over the regular guide. I don't usually buy the guides for Pokemon games, but it seemed worth it.[/QUOTE]

I've asked Prima games on this seems to me the collector's edition guide has everything vol1 has, but with a poke'dex, hard cover and come with lenticular cover something like that.

Vol. 2 covers post game stuff and poke'dex has egg moves etc.

I'm not sure if the collector edition guide has pokedex with all the poke'mon's moves etc.

I'm getting the guide anyways my cousin bought it on amazon for me for helping her get rid of the mice that was in her house and garage.

Either way it's probably worth it since the vol.2 guide doesn't come out till April sometime..

[quote name='utopianmachine']My strategy:

Tepig.

That is all.

I shall be ze Pokeman master![/QUOTE]

I'm going to name mine "Bacon".

Cartman: "That'll do pig, that'll do."

[quote name='utopianmachine']As much as I want Pokemon Black, I'm going to wait for Goozex to feed it to me. I have some major good stuff to play: Ghost Trick, Golden Sun, and I'm still playing DQIX. I can afford to be patient.

...right? :joystick:[/QUOTE]
The Victini download is only available from March 6 to April 10, I believe.

If you can give up Victini, sure. It'll be like ever other Pokemon game: you can pick it up at pretty much any time in its lifecycle and enjoy it.

I however will be sporting hopefully some copies of the game come March 6. I'm not optimistic that the person working at Kmart that morning will comprehend that games can come out on a day that isn't Tuesday, though.

*Unnecessarily detailed post warning*

Went to the Pokemon Tour in Philly. Apparently there was a big line to get in to play the demo, but I just walked through the exit since I assumed it was the entrance. Wasn't much of a demo. Couple of trainer battles, and a patch of grass to battle wild pokemon on was all that we got. It was cool to use Zorua though. Glad I didn't have to wait in line like my brother. I saw the line but just assumed it was for the prize wheel, I had read about ridiculously long waits to spin the wheel. Didn't occur to me that there would be lines to try out the demo.

Last Nintendo event I went to was in 2001 to the gamecube event they had. Really weren't any lines there, had more of an arcade vibe to it. I won a crappy long-sleeved gamecube shirt while playing Super Monkey Ball back then. I still use that shirt as an undershirt, so it's served a purpose at least. Speaking of shirts, I wanted to get an Oshawott shirt but those were only in kids sizes. I did pick up a few plushies, they all looked awesome. figures looked cool too, but I felt the plushies were a better value. Hoping one of those 3DS events comes to Philly. Would love to get my hands on that early so I can decide whether I want to keep my pre-order or not.

My cag sense must've been tingling since I found a copy of Super Robot Taisen O.G. 2 for the GBA for $10 at a game store I went into called Game Store. Seemed like a cool store. They were going for a retro feel, which is something gamestop doesn't offer. They had a SNES hooked up with Super Mario World. It's good to see kids play the classics. Better than the shovelware they mostly get fed. Speaking of crap that kids get fed, Justin Bieber stuff was all over the mall.

Didn't get a chance to see the movie, I wanted to see it to get that jumbo pokemon card. I've regained an interest in the card game, I got my old cards out of my basement and my closet just to see what I had left over. I only collected the cards when they first came out, I wasn't a fan of the ruleset back then. Didn't like the type/weakness changes, and the need for energy cards. After playing the GBC version I got used to playing the game, but never went back and collected the cards. I'm excited to try out the online card game in April.

It's a good time to be a Pokemon fan.

[quote name='doodofdoods'] I'm excited to try out the online card game in April.

It's a good time to be a Pokemon fan.[/QUOTE]

what game are u talking about?

I used to love the card game when i was younger and even make it to the state finals but never mad it to nationals cause i went to private school and they never let me. I used whoop some butt.

I plan on getting both guides was gonna get the CE cause i want the full pokedex but the regular is only like $12 so ill get that too.

also curious how the Amazon shipping will work since it comes out on Sunday
anyone know

I just by chance checked the Pokemon mall tour site and see that its headed to the Arizona Mills Mall in Tempe. Like 15 mins from me
Sweetness gonna save some money and get some major swag. Hope i can make it.

[quote name='adriley313']also curious how the Amazon shipping will work since it comes out on Sunday
anyone know[/QUOTE]

FWIW, with the Japanese release, Amazon shipped out some orders early. I have a feeling that we will be waiting until Monday or Tuesday, though.

According to a few trustworthy fans, preorders for Pokémon Black and White Versions, set to be released September 18, have begun shipping.

http://bulbanews.bulbagarden.net/wiki/Amazon_ships_Black_and_White_preorders

[quote name='adriley313']what game are u talking about?

I used to love the card game when i was younger and even make it to the state finals but never mad it to nationals cause i went to private school and they never let me. I used whoop some butt.[/QUOTE]

http://www.pokemontcg.com/

Not a big fan of virtual boosters, but I may look into it when it comes out. I've always wanted to play since the GBC game.

ya i was a huge fan of the GBC and wish they would update it
will try it out specially if its browser based looks fun

ya debating just buying white on Sunday since Black may not come till Monday/Tuesday and i really wanna play it sunday

I have no intention of playing this anytime soon. I'm just pre-ordering it so I don't miss any downloads.

I hope if I wait, I can get someone to give me a couple pokemon to start off with (that you can't catch until near the end).

[quote name='ChibiJosh']I have no intention of playing this anytime soon. I'm just pre-ordering it so I don't miss any downloads.

I hope if I wait, I can get someone to give me a couple pokemon to start off with (that you can't catch until near the end).[/QUOTE]
but their level would be too high and you won't be able to control them

bread's done
Back