Pokemon Black and White: General Discussion and Info: For Real This Time

In that case just get the other starters instead of end game pokemon. They got very good movelist and good base stats for their final form. The other end game pokemon dont have good move list that will get you through the game.

[quote name='62t']In that case just get the other starters instead of end game pokemon. They got very good movelist and good base stats for their final form. The other end game pokemon dont have good move list that will get you through the game.[/QUOTE]
But, I have to have a bug pokemon. I always have a bug pokemon, and I'm thinking that metal ant might be the one.

Also, I need the sea turtle pokemon, it's pretty much 90% of the reason I'm getting the game to begin with. (and I hate the water starter)

[quote name='doodofdoods']*Unnecessarily detailed post warning*

Went to the Pokemon Tour in Philly. Apparently there was a big line to get in to play the demo, but I just walked through the exit since I assumed it was the entrance. Wasn't much of a demo. Couple of trainer battles, and a patch of grass to battle wild pokemon on was all that we got. It was cool to use Zorua though. Glad I didn't have to wait in line like my brother. I saw the line but just assumed it was for the prize wheel, I had read about ridiculously long waits to spin the wheel. Didn't occur to me that there would be lines to try out the demo.

Last Nintendo event I went to was in 2001 to the gamecube event they had. Really weren't any lines there, had more of an arcade vibe to it. I won a crappy long-sleeved gamecube shirt while playing Super Monkey Ball back then. I still use that shirt as an undershirt, so it's served a purpose at least. Speaking of shirts, I wanted to get an Oshawott shirt but those were only in kids sizes. I did pick up a few plushies, they all looked awesome. figures looked cool too, but I felt the plushies were a better value. Hoping one of those 3DS events comes to Philly. Would love to get my hands on that early so I can decide whether I want to keep my pre-order or not.

My cag sense must've been tingling since I found a copy of Super Robot Taisen O.G. 2 for the GBA for $10 at a game store I went into called Game Store. Seemed like a cool store. They were going for a retro feel, which is something gamestop doesn't offer. They had a SNES hooked up with Super Mario World. It's good to see kids play the classics. Better than the shovelware they mostly get fed. Speaking of crap that kids get fed, Justin Bieber stuff was all over the mall.

Didn't get a chance to see the movie, I wanted to see it to get that jumbo pokemon card. I've regained an interest in the card game, I got my old cards out of my basement and my closet just to see what I had left over. I only collected the cards when they first came out, I wasn't a fan of the ruleset back then. Didn't like the type/weakness changes, and the need for energy cards. After playing the GBC version I got used to playing the game, but never went back and collected the cards. I'm excited to try out the online card game in April.

It's a good time to be a Pokemon fan.[/QUOTE]

I went day before yesterday.

Awesome stuff. I think I did pretty much everything, including waiting like an nour to spin the prize wheel.

Even got a pic with oshawatt since I'm so cool :p

going to mine
what all did they have for sale and how much
gonna hit the one that is in tempe and wanna buy a bunch of stuff

They had 6 6" plushes for $10 each(Oshawott, Tepig, Snivy, Zorua, Zoroark, and Pikachu) and 2 12" plushes for $20(Zekrom and Reshiram). They also had small figures of the same characters for $5. Shirts were $20, adult sizes only have Zekrom and Reshiram available. I think that's all they sell. you can get a Zekrom or Reshiram pin for playing the demo, the Jumbo Zorua/Celebi pokemon card for seeing the movie, and a small random prize for filling out the stamp book and then spinning the prize wheel.

[quote name='JokerCard']Playing pokemon black right now. Managed to get a copy at a BJs store selling it early.[/QUOTE]

How is it without revealing too much? I'm really trying not to read much up on it to kind of give myself a surprise when I pick it up.

sweet ill try and get a bunch maybe trade with CAGs if i get any extra
its not till march 19-20 though i may not go till sunday as i work saturday

was hoping maybe to get a decent espeon plush as hes my favorite pokemon

[quote name='adriley313']sweet ill try and get a bunch maybe trade with CAGs if i get any extra
its not till march 19-20 though i may not go till sunday as i work saturday

was hoping maybe to get a decent espeon plush as hes my favorite pokemon[/QUOTE]

Would def love one of those figures if you can snag some extras.

[quote name='willardhaven']Which is better if you can only get one? Black City and White Forest both seem pretty interesting.[/QUOTE]

I think it's basically that Black City = exp, White Forest = items, pokemon, but I'm not 100% sure. Still trying to keep at least a little non-spoiled for myself.

So, hey CAG Poke-fans. I don't normally venture into CAG's gaming section, but I went through DPPt totally ignoring all of the online features and I'd rather not do so with BW. For the most part I don't have the patience for breeding and EV training, so are there any plans for holding just regular old casual battles between people in this thread? I know some game threads here have people who hold game nights or whatever, so I'm not sure if anything on that level was planned for BW.

Either way, I'll still stay and discuss the game ;)

You can count me in for casual battles. I don't do EV training and breeding. I like the old school style of just leveling up my pokes and giving em regular training items and TMs. I'll be sure to exchange friend codes with you when I get my copy.

I have never played a Pokemon game before and Pokemon Black will be my first one so I have a ton of basic Pokemon questions:

For past Pokemon games, are the only differences in the versions that are released at the same time (ie: HeartGold and SoulSilver) different Pokemon? Are there major plot changes in either version?

When they release the special edition a year or so later that combines the two (ie: Pokemon Platinum for Pokemon Diamond and Pearl), do they combine all the Pokemon in both two versions? If I have the choice between Diamond, Pearl, and Platinum, should I always choose Platinum?

Is there a continuing plot line or is every Pokemon completely separate from the previous versions?

Basically, I'm wondering if I should buy both Black and WHite or just stick with one and when I go back to previous installments, if I should just try and find the special edition that combines the previous two.

1 - Generally, yes. The plots rarely change in pokemon games. They'll follow the same exact path for the plot, unless you're looking at the 3rd release for that generation. The largest difference tends to be the legendary pokemon that acts as its mascot. Like in HG, you can capture Ho-oh earlier on in the game due to the plot and it'll appear at lvl 40. While in SS, you capture Ho-oh late in the game and it'll appear at lvl 70. And in SS, you can capture Lugia earlier on in the game due to the plot and it'll appear at lvl 40. While in HG, you capture Lugia late in the game at lvl 70.

2 - Always opt for 3rd version in a generation.

3 - They're separate. Not in the sense of like FF7 and FF8 which are two different worlds completely. You're just in control of another character in the same world at a different point and location in time. You can sometimes have a battle with a character from a previous version though. But that's about it.

4 - I suggest just buying one of the two. I'd do the same if I weren't a nutjob.

[quote name='RabbitSuit']1 - Generally, yes. The plots rarely change in pokemon games. They'll follow the same exact path for the plot, unless you're looking at the 3rd release for that generation. The largest difference tends to be the legendary pokemon that acts as its mascot. Like in HG, you can capture Ho-oh earlier on in the game due to the plot and it'll appear at lvl 40. While in SS, you capture Ho-oh late in the game and it'll appear at lvl 70. And in SS, you can capture Lugia earlier on in the game due to the plot and it'll appear at lvl 40. While in HG, you capture Lugia late in the game at lvl 70.

2 - Always opt for 3rd version in a generation.

3 - They're separate. Not in the sense of like FF7 and FF8 which are two different worlds completely. You're just in control of another character in the same world at a different point and location in time. You can sometimes have a battle with a character from a previous version though. But that's about it.

4 - I suggest just buying one of the two. I'd do the same if I weren't a nutjob.[/QUOTE]

Cool, cool, thanks for the info.

How does trading work? Can I do it over the Wi-Fi or does it have to be locally done? And if I trade a version exclusive Pokemon for another version exclusive Pokemon, can I get the first one again in the wild or am I out of luck?

*edit* Actually, never mind, I'll play the Black version and see if I like the game and if I fall in love with it, I'll just buy the White version so I can collect them all, haha.

If the trading is anything like HG/SS/D/P/Pt, it'll be both- over WiFi or locally. And if you trade a version exclusive away, unless it's a legendary or there's only 1 of them in the game, you can get them back by catching another one.

The DS versions can all trade over Wifi as well as within a small range of your DS locally.

You're out of luck there. But people will trade their exclusives for just about nothing really even if they are legendary. If you check out some pokemon trading forums like gamefaq's, you'll even see people just giving out rare and well bred pokemon with items for free every now and then. Chances are they'd be cloned with some cheat device though. Or that they ended up breeding two pokemon and have 60+ eggs they need to unload from their PC.

You're probably better off buying a version other than White to catch'em all if you're going with Black :p. HeartGold and SoulSilver have a large amount of pokemon in them and legendary pokemon from the 1st, 2nd, 3rd and 4th generation in them.

[quote name='Spanky']How is it without revealing too much? I'm really trying not to read much up on it to kind of give myself a surprise when I pick it up.[/QUOTE]

Sorry for the late reply, was a bit busy.

I got up to the 4th gym and beat it. So far im loving it. The new city and towns caught me off guard at first since I havent watched or saw the changes that were coming but I love it. The pokemon im going to have to get used to and its going to take me a while to remember all of them.

Glad your liking it I haven't see any screen shots just a few pokemon art that was at the mall tour and played the demo too it wasn't much to spoil anything too much just a small taste of the game.

I like how animated the pokemon were in battles.

Just pre-ordered White for my wife. I may get Black along the way but hoping to hold out for a "combo" version like Platinum is. (not getting hopes up since still no combo of Silver/Gold out)

Heartgold and soulsilver already has the crystal version stuff on it so don't think there will be one.

I'm sure there will be a third version for the B&W, but I rather not wait anymore.

Out of curiosity, how does the mystery gift feature work with B/W? Is it available when you start, or is it something you have to unlock?

(Moreover, would it allow you to access the mystery gift Celebi from GS on 3/6? I grabbed it on my copy of Diamond, but I wouldn't turn down a chance to get a 2nd one...)

[quote name='Hell Monkey']Just pre-ordered White for my wife. I may get Black along the way but hoping to hold out for a "combo" version like Platinum is. (not getting hopes up since still no combo of Silver/Gold out)[/QUOTE]

[quote name='meerkatgamer']Heartgold and soulsilver already has the crystal version stuff on it so don't think there will be one.[/QUOTE]

Yep. There's a 0% chance of a third to HG/SS. The only thing unique from Crystal (the Suicune storyline) was already included.

On Monday i get paid so ill buy the Black DSi bundle and get Pokemon White for free at K-Mart.
Its gonna be sweet.

Last edited by a moderator:
So...the black legendary pokemon is in the white version, and the opposite is true as well? This confused me. o_o is that basically the only difference between them?

[quote name='dreamparacite']So...the black legendary pokemon is in the white version, and the opposite is true as well? This confused me. o_o is that basically the only difference between them?[/QUOTE]

Believe me, I find the fact that the white legendary is in Black and the black legendary is in White stupifying. I have to keep reminding myself I want Black, because I want Reshiram.

As for differences, there are some Pokemon that are exlusive to each version. Black has Black City as a an exclusive area, while White has the White Forest.

[quote name='utopianmachine']Believe me, I find the fact that the white legendary is in Black and the black legendary is in White stupifying. I have to keep reminding myself I want Black, because I want Reshiram. [/QUOTE]

It's to keep with the Yin-Yang theme between them. Besides, they're right on the cover.

[quote name='adriley313']monday is too long to wait[/QUOTE]

I'm not dying yet. When you all start posting about how awesome the game is on Monday, I'm going to get miiiiighty twitchy.

But I don't plan to get the game until Goozex gives it to me. I just have too much to play. My DS games are escaping the little cubby they always fit in, so I know it's time to work on my backlog. ;)

yes i hear u there
my ds backlog is huge too
im playing DQ6 and Lufia at the same time.
While also playing Enslaved on my 360 while also rockin some fun Battleheart on the iPOd Touch.

BUt they will all fall to the waist side when pokemon comes out.
And ill finally have 2 ds so i can trade with myself.

[quote name='GizmoGC']So if White has a special fOrest, what does Black have? Why would anyone get Black with less content?[/QUOTE]

Black City is exclusive to Pokemon Black

[quote name='GizmoGC']So if White has a special fOrest, what does Black have? Why would anyone get Black with less content?[/QUOTE]

Please please read prior posts before posting the same question over and over about what the difference is between White and Black. White has the forest Black has the city. Black is geared more towards the people that enjoy the training and battling aspect of the game while White caters more to the folks who like to "catch em all".

I think he means the CE guide. Mine shipped today as well, which is weird since they shipped it 2nd Day Air, and yet it has a delivery day of Monday.

They might as well just shipped it out Friday.

[quote name='adriley313']Anyone get there game shipped from Amazon yet?
I got my CE game shipped.[/QUOTE]

No notification yet. Hoping for something later today.

bread's done
Back