Pokemon DS

unicron129

CAGiversary!
Feedback
48 (100%)
I am a cheapass to the end. This means that even though pokemon diamond and pearl look like solid games, I want to wait for the inevitable "yellow, crystal, emerald" version. I dont want to buy the same game twice. So does anybody know when the 3rd game of diamond and pearl will come out? or atleast the name ( I just cant imagine a better version than diamond its gonna have to be pokemon platinum).

Well they just came out in April..nothing (even in Japan) has been announced yet.. soo...It may take sometime..

Just get one. This generation of Pokemon is AWESOME..it's a very fun game!

Just for reference... Emerald came out a little over 2 years after Ruby/Sapphire did. If you amortize the cost of D/P over 2 years, it's really not that bad... You should keep an eye out though, as there are probably deals to be had. It doesn't help you now, but it was on sale at various stores for ~$28. Amazon had Diamond as a deal-of-the-day in the past week or so.

but its not all the price. its also that I dont want to put in 100+ hours in a game that has an inevitable upgraded version coming out. Maybe I'll just get emerald since I missed out on GBA pokemon. (if anyone is interested in selling emerald im willing to buy).

even if you put 100+ hours in, you can still transfer over all your stuff (rare, trained, IVed, etc pokemon) to the new game

[quote name='unicron129']but its not all the price. its also that I dont want to put in 100+ hours in a game that has an inevitable upgraded version coming out. Maybe I'll just get emerald since I missed out on GBA pokemon. (if anyone is interested in selling emerald im willing to buy).[/quote]

If you dont want to 'waste' time playing games that will be rereleased later with more content ,your in the wrong hobby. ;)

Pokemon Red + Blue NA release: September 1998
Pokemon Yellow NA release: October 1999

Pokemon Gold + Silver NA release: October 2000
Pokemon Crystal NA release:July 2001

Emerald was released 2 years after Ruby and Sapphire, but they released FireRed and LeafGreen in the year between that.

There is deep speculation that Gold and Silver will be remade very soon and Opal (not real name) is surely in the works but hasn't been 100% confirmed. So either way my guess is that you will wait about a year before you even hear news about Opal or a GS remake.

[quote name='zerowing']Pokemon Red + Blue NA release: September 1998

Emerald was released 2 years after Ruby and Sapphire, but they released FireRed and LeafGreen in the year between that.

There is deep speculation that Gold and Silver will be remade very soon and Opal (not real name) is surely in the works but hasn't been 100% confirmed. So either way my guess is that you will wait about a year before you even hear news about Opal or a GS remake.[/quote]

Just my opinion but...
Unless there's a huge benefit, I don't see the appeal of a G/S remake aside from nostalgia value. FR/LG were fine, because prior to their release, there was no way to get the original 151 in the Advance generation. The G/S pokemon are already available to us, so a G/S remake doesn't really add anything.

[quote name='unicron129']but its not all the price. its also that I dont want to put in 100+ hours in a game that has an inevitable upgraded version coming out. Maybe I'll just get emerald since I missed out on GBA pokemon. (if anyone is interested in selling emerald im willing to buy).[/quote]

I can't really see a time when putting 100+ hours into a game that costs $35 could be a bad thing.

I've had so much fun with Pearl, that I've even considered getting Diamond also JUST to go through it again with a slightly different point of view. If you enjoy pokemon, get it now and get it then, they're fantastic this generation.

[quote name='zerowing']Pokemon Red + Blue NA release: September 1998

There is deep speculation that Gold and Silver will be remade very soon and Opal (not real name) is surely in the works but hasn't been 100% confirmed. So either way my guess is that you will wait about a year before you even hear news about Opal or a GS remake.[/quote]
No offense, but don't consider the US release timelines considering that was merely the time it took to translate and bring them over. Whereas Japan has to actually develop them, which takes a little longer.

Red and Green: February 27, 1996
Blue: October 15, 1996
Yellow: September 12, 1998

Gold and Silver: November 21, 1999
Crystal: December 14, 2000

Ruby and Sapphire: November 21, 2002
Emerald: September 16, 2004

There's really no consistancy on how long it takes for them to develop the updated versions. Also, it's almost been a year since Diamond and Pearl have been released in Japan, with absolutely no word on any new titles other than sequels to Mystery Dungeon. Considering that and the fact that there's apparently a bunch of event Pokémon planned out (according to the game's programming) as well as the TV series being the animated plug for the games, we won't be hearing of any sequels until probably at least by the end of next year or at least whenever the movies reveal newer ones.

[quote name='yayece'] Just my opinion but...
Unless there's a huge benefit, I don't see the appeal of a G/S remake aside from nostalgia value. FR/LG were fine, because prior to their release, there was no way to get the original 151 in the Advance generation. The G/S pokemon are already available to us, so a G/S remake doesn't really add anything.[/quote]
There is still no real way to get GS pokemon, they randomly appear in each game but they don't have a game where they are the most dominant, to get every GS Pokemon you need to play every 3rd and 4th Gen game to get them, especially the Coloseum series. Plus the allusions to Johto in Diamond and Pearl don't hurt, mentions of Professor Elm, Jasmine, Red Gyarados, and the fact it takes place in the same time period really gives off the impression a GS remake is in the works. AND on top of all that Johto is mentioned in the Diamond and Pearl code for trading purposes. Nintendo likes to milk Pokemon, there was no real reason for Yellow, Crystal, and Emeral to be released other than minor differences, which is essentially the premise to every Pokemon game, minor differences to the previous game.

[quote name='Tsukento']words[/quote]

I only gave those dates to give the OP an idea of how long it would take for a US version of a 3rd game to come out in NA. While its not 100% consistant it shows the 3rd game comes out a year after the release of the gen plus or minus a few months. And every game is released in NA just a few months after the Japanese release.

Except for the fact that this time around, we DO have ways of getting those missing Pokemon. Back in the 3rd gen, they HAD to release games to make the missing Pokemon available in some manner. The game's coding simply has Johto stuff in there as a "what-if" situation, as it also has several upcoming years also in the coding listed for Pokemon Movie releases. Doesn't necessarily mean it'll happen.

GameFreak's not exactly one to release main games involving capturing Pokemon that are already completely available. I don't see a remake of Gold/Silver happening. Most people simply want it to happen for the sake of nostalgia.

[quote name='zerowing']There is still no real way to get GS pokemon, they randomly appear in each game but they don't have a game where they are the most dominant, to get every GS Pokemon you need to play every 3rd and 4th Gen game to get them, especially the Coloseum series. Plus the allusions to Johto in Diamond and Pearl don't hurt, mentions of Professor Elm, Jasmine, Red Gyarados, and the fact it takes place in the same time period really gives off the impression a GS remake is in the works. AND on top of all that Johto is mentioned in the Diamond and Pearl code for trading purposes. Nintendo likes to milk Pokemon, there was no real reason for Yellow, Crystal, and Emeral to be released other than minor differences, which is essentially the premise to every Pokemon game, minor differences to the previous game.

I only gave those dates to give the OP an idea of how long it would take for a US version of a 3rd game to come out in NA. While its not 100% consistant it shows the 3rd game comes out a year after the release of the gen plus or minus a few months. And every game is released in NA just a few months after the Japanese release.[/quote]you can get every G/S pokemon in D/P except the starters

[quote name='banpeikun']you can get every G/S pokemon in D/P except the starters[/quote]

and some of the legendaries. and even some you MUST have either fire red, leaf green, or emerald in the gba slot WHILE YOU'RE PLAYING in order for them to even appear.

that aside, I bought both at launch, and I coulldn't be more satisfied. I love both (i've put over 250+ hours into daimond alone) and I do plan on buying the third one at launch along with the gold and silver remakes (if they do come through) at launch as well. if you're on the fence about it, just buy one, you won't be disappointed.

Well so far for pokemon games I have:

Pokemon Red (got for free)
Pokemon Yellow( the memory battery died and lost 180+ hours)
Pokemon Silver ( have like 150 hours)
Pokemon TCG

Am I really missing out if I dont get emerald before getting a DS pokemon like pearl/diamond/"opal"? I want emerald but my friend had sapphire and his memory erased just like my pokemon yellow. Is this likely to happen with DS games less than GBA/GBC games?

[quote name='unicron129']Well so far for pokemon games I have:

Pokemon TCG

Am I really missing out if I dont get emerald before getting a DS pokemon like pearl/diamond/"opal"? I want emerald but my friend had sapphire and his memory erased just like my pokemon yellow. Is this likely to happen with DS games less than GBA/GBC games?[/quote]

The thing about this gen is getting the pokemon is easier because of the WiFi.

Diamond or Pearl are safe buys -- go for it.

Pokemon TCG

Am I really missing out if I dont get emerald before getting a DS pokemon like pearl/diamond/"opal"? I want emerald but my friend had sapphire and his memory erased just like my pokemon yellow. Is this likely to happen with DS games less than GBA/GBC games?[/quote]it's really only likely to happen with bootleg games within a reasonable span of time

Actually GBA and DS game saves use flash memory, your friends save probably became corrupted due to improper use of an AR/Gameshark/Cheatdevice. Flash memory will last forever.

You aren't missing out on much, but Emerald provided tons of extra hours because of the Battle Frontier and you can (obviously) catch Pokemon you can't get in D/P. I would get it to tide you over until there is a release of "Opal" or a sale on D/P.

[quote name='banpeikun']

Pokemon TCG

Am I really missing out if I dont get emerald before getting a DS pokemon like pearl/diamond/"opal"? I want emerald but my friend had sapphire and his memory erased just like my pokemon yellow. Is this likely to happen with DS games less than GBA/GBC games?[/quote]it's really only likely to happen with bootleg games within a reasonable span of time[/quote]

I'll second that statement. It's quite strange that his Sapphire got erased unless it was a bootleg. The GBA pokemon game saves are NOT dependent on a battery.

Also, Emerald is a very good investment even if you're going to buy Diamond/Pearl. If you intend to get serious about training/breeding pokemon, there are a few things you can only do with Emerald. There are move tutors that can teach moves unavailable otherwise. Blissey with Seismic Toss is one... You can also get Fire/Ice/Thunderpunch on a few guys that can't normally learn those moves either. Lastly (although considered cheating by some) you can clone pokemon and items 100% safely in Emerald. (Other techniques require you to turn off your game while it's in the middle of saving, etc.)

[quote name='yayece'](Other techniques require you to turn off your game while it's in the middle of saving, etc.)[/quote]that technique is pretty much 100% safe also, because pokemon rotates between two different save files. You always corrupt one while it's saving, but it backs up from the previous (good) one. Even if you screw up the timing your game is always restored to its pre-GTS state.

The only way GBA saves will be erased is if you have bootlegs. Especially if you try using said bootlegs to migrate Pokémon to D/P. Bootlegs automatically get wiped when you attempt migrating.

[quote name='banpeikun']that technique is pretty much 100% safe also, because pokemon rotates between two different save files. You always corrupt one while it's saving, but it backs up from the previous (good) one. Even if you screw up the timing your game is always restored to its pre-GTS state.[/quote]
Fair enough. There's still some variability on that method though, isn't there? Like you have to figure out the right timing, etc. And with D/P, I'd guess that your cloning "bandwidth" is a good bit smaller. You can only clone one pokemon/item at once, yes? In Emerald, you can clone up to 5 pokemon at once, and *hundreds* of items in a matter of minutes. Useful for rare candies, or TMs or whatever. On the other hand, D/P can clone the new items/pokemon not available in Emerald. Still, I still say Emerald is a good buy.

[quote name='yayece']Fair enough. There's still some variability on that method though, isn't there? Like you have to figure out the right timing, etc. And with D/P, I'd guess that your cloning "bandwidth" is a good bit smaller. You can only clone one pokemon/item at once, yes? In Emerald, you can clone up to 5 pokemon at once, and *hundreds* of items in a matter of minutes. Useful for rare candies, or TMs or whatever. On the other hand, D/P can clone the new items/pokemon not available in Emerald. Still, I still say Emerald is a good buy.[/quote]I definately agree that cloning with Emerald is tons easier (for pokes that you have in ADV), and is definately worth buying on its own right even if you're not plannig to clone anything.

bread's done
Back