Pokemon: Indigo League The Complete Collection (DVD) - $39.96 @ Walmart

xlost4

CAGiversary!
Last edited by a moderator:
Nice find. The season was released in three volumes a few years ago, but this set seems to be cheaper than buying those individually.

I wish they would hurry up and release a box set of the Johto season(s) so I could own all of the seasons that I have childhood memories of.

This thread got me looking at the three old volumes on my shelf, and I noticed those had a total of 79 episodes. Then I Amazoned this and the reviews there say the controversial "Holiday Hi-Jynx" episode has been cut from the complete set, so beware of that.

Essentially the MSRP.
I see. I just saw that Amazon has it for the same price as well.

This thread got me looking at the three old volumes on my shelf, and I noticed those had a total of 79 episodes. Then I Amazoned this and the reviews there say the controversial "Holiday Hi-Jynx" episode has been cut from the complete set, so beware of that.
Yeah. I just asked my sister and she said that there were 4 banned from the U.S. TV series.

-The Legend of Dratini - several scenes where guns are pointed in people’s faces. Also this same episode there’s an interrogation scene where Meowth puts on a Hitler mustache.

-Holiday Hi-Jynx - this episode was criticized because Jynx looks like one of the old racist cartoons from the 30’s. It aired only once, and the controversy caused Nintendo to change Jynx’s skin color to purple.

-Beauty and the Beach - In this episode, all the female characters enter a beauty contest. James also puts on some kind body suit with inflatable breasts, and enters as well, because that’s a stupid plan and that’s what Team Rocket does. James then taunts Misty with the line, “Maybe when you're older, you'll have a chest like this!” A grown man in a boob-suit taunting a young girl about her cup size is totally cool in Japan, but they thought it may be bit much for American audiences. A version of this episode aired twice in the US, but James in a bikini was removed.

-Electric Soldier Porygon - When “Computer Soldier Porygon” first aired in Japan it contained a sequence where Pikachu fends off some missiles with his Thunderbolt attack. An electric rodent fighting missiles just wasn’t cool enough for the animators, so they added an intense strobe effect to liven things up. I’m sure the audience appreciated it, as long as weren’t having epileptic seizures. The strobe sequence was so intense, it hurt people’s brains. Hundreds of Japanese children were rushed to hospitals, and thousands more reported feeling dizziness and headaches. Some people even had temporary blindness. A later study determined 5-10% of people watching that episode felt sick. The episode was pulled forever, Pokemon was off the air for months, and the story made headlines around the world.

Yeah. I understand ALL the omitted episodes aren't included but at least the ones that aired on TV are included in the package.

You're right about the censored episodes, but Holiday Hi-Jynx IS on the 2009 Volume 3 set. It is NOT on this new complete set.
Well considering "Holiday Hi-Jynx" aired only once, was controversial and banned but later re aired changing Jynx color from black to purple. I don't feel bad not having that episode honestly. Yes, it's not ideal for collectors if they want ALL the episodes but 3 others were banned also. I'll just take the nostalgic collection it contains and go with it :D

I've seen the uncut original version of the porygon episode. My god my eyes were feeling horrible after that infamous flashing lights scene. No wonder it was banned smh

Think $40 is as low as it'll go? I'd love to buy this but money's pretty tight after Bayonetta 2 and the Sailor Moon Part 1 Blu-Ray I just bought, gonna have to wait and I hope I don't end up paying more for it later.

There was only one Safari Zone episode.

The Porygon episode doesn't exist in Japan's eyes. Fun fact: the prologue in Mewtwo Strikes Back exists because of the Pokémon Shock incident. Originally, the movie was supposed to start at the title screen and Ash's battle.

And this set actually includes Season 1 and about half of Season 2.

None of Jynx's Orange Islands appearances were edited, but it's episode in Johto was never dubbed.

Well considering "Holiday Hi-Jynx" aired only once, was controversial and banned but later re aired changing Jynx color from black to purple. I don't feel bad not having that episode honestly.
Actually, Cartoon Network had it in its regular rotation for years. And as I said earlier, none of her appearances in the Orange Islands were edited in any way. The recoloring of the episode only happened in Japan, too.

bread's done
Back