Pokemon Tournament I: Hot Fourth Gen Action! (UPDATE: Round 2 on 3rd Page!))

Filler2001

CAGiversary!
Feedback
1 (100%)
UPDATE: First Round Up

Battle one: mcelfour vs. donteatsoap7

Battle two: Nathan_Sama vs. Adriley

Battle three: SL4IN vs. BLink

Battle four: Filler2001 vs. riddler

You have until Tuesday to get your battles done, or else plan on accepting disqualification. Ill send PMs to everyone about this. Good luck (especially riddler :p)

Well, from the odd title, you may have guessed that Im starting up a tournament for CAG in the fourth gen games. That is true.

CAG needs something for Pokemon that isn't a discussion thread, and I figure that a tournament would be a fun way to get us back into the loop of it, at least in preparation for HGSS.

Rules:
1) OU tiers (This means that you can use any Pokemon except for Arceus, Darkrai, Deoxys, Dialga, Garchomp, Giratina, Groudon, Ho-oh, Kyogre, Latios, Lugia, Manaphy, Mew, Mewtwo, Palkia, Rayquaza, Shaymin (Sky Form), Wobbufett, Wynaut, and no use of Soul Dew).
2) No hacked or edited Pokemon. That said, it's up to you to check your opponents team before the battle to make sure that the stats are legal. If any problems occur, check Smogon to decide if you're about to play a cheater.
3) Only one of the opponents Pokemon can be frozen/asleep at one time (Rest/any self infliction moves don't count)
4) No usage of double team or minimize is permitted
5) No usage of a OHKO move (AKA Horn Drill, Fissure, Sheer Cold, and Guillotine) is permitted
6) You can't have multiples of any Pokemon on your team
7) If both players are down to their last Pokemon, and someone uses a move such as (but not limited to) explosion which takes out both Pokemon, the Pokemon using explosion loses.
8) The hold items Brightpowder, Quick Claw, Focus Band, and Kings Rock cannot be used.
9) Im seriously considering banning just a few OUs like Blissey/Skarmory/etc. just because they would give an unfair advantage against some of our less skilled players (I would like to give everyone a chance!), so please don't be too cheap in picking your team
10) You are allowed 6 Pokemon to use, and this is on level 100 (don't worry if your Pokemon aren't level 100, the autoleveler online will round your Pokes up)
11) If you want to suggest a new rule, feel free to put it down.

To enter:
Comment below your friend code and name and once a week or so goes by (Ill end the entering when we get 16 competitors or a week goes by from today, January 28th, based on which comes first), we'll get this thing going. If we get a really odd number, Ill find a way to fairly decide who gets to compete, and if we get 16 competitors fast enough, Ill keep it going until people lose interest. I will be contacting anyone on CAG who looks like they might want to compete, but feel free to enter no matter who you are.

Prizes (All Legit, UT=Untrained)
Fourth Prize: PBR Pikachu Level 10 (Knows Surf and Volt Tackle, is holding Light Ball, Hardy Nature) UT
Third Prize: Shiny Chikorita Level 1 (Docile Nature, holding Master Ball) UT
Second Prize: Shiny Latias Level 40 (Bold Nature, PkRS, holding Soul Dew) UT

First Prize: From my personal army, you receive a shiny level 100 Nidoking with the following stats:
Adamant
Attack: 304
Defense: 187
Sp. Atk: 173
Sp. Def: 168
Speed: 259
It knows Earthquake, Thrash, Icebeam, and Megahorn; It has a 30% chance of poisoning the enemy on physical contact; And it's 100% Legitimate. And also, Ill throw in a free shiny Azlef UT holding a Master Ball as well.

Hope to see a few entries. Be warned though, as I'm competing using my special Wrecking Crew

Last edited by a moderator:
I have no interest in playing as I suck, and never have devoted the time to set up a proper team. But I wanted to ask

"3) Only one of the opponents Pokemon can be paralyzed/frozen/asleep at one time (Rest/any self infliction moves don't count)
4) No usage of double team or minimize is permitted
5) No usage of a OHKO move (AKA Horn Drill, Fissure, Sheer Cold, and Guillotine) is permitted
8) The hold items Brightpowder, Quick Claw, Focus Band, and Kings Rock cannot be used."

Why? Is it normal for tournament situations to ban these things? I mean they are all counterable right? Except for OHKO's which have really low chances to hit right?

I ask because I never realized people had problems with those things.

Well, I mean that one Pokemon can be one of each, so three status inflictions. I may take out paralysis, but Im undecided

double team and minimize cause unnecessary frustration in that enough usage can make hitting the enemy at all too difficult

OHKOs are cheap ways to change the entire tide of a battle, and it just isn't fair to use, even if you're losing.

Those items are called hax, and mess up the flow of the battle in the free attacks/flinches/whatever they give.

These rules sound a little silly, but Im trying to make the tournament a full on "Who's the better trainer, even with a few restrictions" and not "Who can get lucky shots the most"

And they are pretty standard rules. Actually, not paralysis, and Ill take that one out

You know Im in Filler and i never see you on AIM even though i signed up bc of you.
I know have wifi and a lot of spare time so im in and im up for random battling to work out a good team but i dont EV train so i might get slaughtered

I would, but I would need to play through Pokemon Platinum. Not to much energy to do that really. :/

One of the few games on the DS, that I actually enjoy playing. Maybe I'll play through it sometime, and join in these tournaments when I learn how this IV and EV stuff works.

Maybe I'll get my wife to stat out a team for me. She EV trains ever since SL4IN introduced her to Smogon. I'll get back to you guys on this.

[quote name='Droenixjpn']I would, but I would need to play through Pokemon Platinum. Not to much energy to do that really. :/

One of the few games on the DS, that I actually enjoy playing. Maybe I'll play through it sometime, and join in these tournaments when I learn how this IV and EV stuff works.[/QUOTE]
EV training is by far much less painful than IV grinding.

I dont Ev train cause i find it boring
Maybe when SS comes out ill start back up
Then i can really compete.

MY FC is on the Pokemon thread by SL4IN

So, so far we have:
Filler2001
SL4IN
Adriley
Nathan_Sama

Well, Im glad you guys are in this so far, but spread this around. Id like to make a good tourney out of it

When we get more people. Theres no rush right now (decided to wait until we have more people), but sending a word out would be nice

Hmm, I could have my little brother play the game for me, just to beat the story so he has something to do for awhile. I would love to join in, but it'd take me weeks to prepare.

Are those prizes all from your personal collection Filler? Some of those are pretty neat, are they all legit?

Can't wait!
My ACT test was canceled and re-scheduled to be on the 20th due to weather, so if we have it then, could we make it in the PM for EST?

sure thing. Ill have something official if we can get 16 going. if it proves impossible, I may scale the prizes, but first prize will stay

Cool deal, Try making a blog post to get more ppl in to it.
Cant wait to try my team out even though they arent EV train so I might get spanked.

'lo everyone. Tomorrow night, the entry phase is ending, and Im going to send out mass PMs to get the tournament done saturday and sunday. So far, we have:

Filler2001
SL4IN
Adriley
Nathan_Sama
mcelfour
donteatsoap7
BLink
riddler

And again, if you're scared about entering, don't be. Even if you think you suck, you could still place third or fourth from a few bits of good luck

[quote name='Filler2001']'... to get the tournament done saturday and sunday....
[/QUOTE]

Wait. Does this mean you're thinking the whole thing is going to happen this Saturday and Sunday? That's not going to fly for me, I have commitments this weekend.

You need to give a couple days notice, and allow for some flexibility. Hopefully I'm misinterpreting your post, because I really want to be able to play.

Im going to have the rosters up this weekend, and the first round is supposed to be done by tuesday, and the second and final should be done by the following weekend.

After the tournament, Ill be up for any battles if you dont get the chance to fight

i got my butt kicked.
I cant believe i had the wrong Jolteon that had no good moves.
First time ever trying to use Trump Card.

Oh well, it was fun Nathan.

If it means any, I was once a Gym Leader on the Gaia Online Pokemon League.
I was the crappy leader that no-one wanted to battle though, so I quit there and found CAG through Gaia.

bread's done
Back