Pokemon - why do people like the games?

Meremare

CAGiversary!
Feedback
29 (100%)
I never played one. But whenever I go online, I see people talking about Pokemon.

Last edited by a moderator:
Do you like to collect things? It's practically the same premise. Theres a bunch of different Pokemon that each have their strengths and weaknesses, and you get to use them all. The game is very simple, yet insanely deep if you really get into it. It's an amazing feat if you ask me.

I like it because it is very relaxing , I always play about 30-60 minutes before going to bed. I also enjoy going out of my way to find items and rarer pokemon. Overall it is just VERY enjoyable and relaxing

[quote name='Meremare']I never played one and never will.[/QUOTE]

So why do you even care? Why don't you try it and find out for yourself?

It combines several things that people like.

- Collecting
- Fighting/battling
- RPG leveling and progression

And it's slow pace means you don't need FPS style twitch gaming skills to be good at it. It's about critical thinking and statistical analysis wrapped up in a super cute package.

It's one of the deepest games ever that masquerades as a simple kids game. You can play the game at it's basest level and enjoy it, or you can dive deeply into it and enjoy it on a whole other level.

Mario - why do people like the games?

Zelda - why do people like the games?

Guitar Hero - why do people like the games?

Mass Effect - why do people like the games?

Thread fail, especially since the OP seems to have only started the thread to flame Pokémon.

I put in so many hours playing Pokemon since my childhood it's ridiculous, getting all 150 in Red and Yellow (yeah I didn't get Mew, go away) all 250 in G & S (and I didn't get Celebi either, will you leave me alone?!). A testament to these games is that even when I lived in a group home, the toughest kid in the house and I would play G & S religiously together. And what's better than memorizing how to get through Dark Cave without Flash? There are so many good memories of these games I cannot knock the series. I don't think I'll be purchasing any other Poke' games as I didn't enjoy it after Gold and Silver, but I strongly consider Red/Blue - Gold/Silver some of the greatest handheld games ever created and still occasionally feel like booting up the old GB Color to see how my lineup is doing (and maybe check the Lucky Number in Goldenrod.)

[quote name='adriley313']Dont knock it till you try it.[/QUOTE]
This x1000. You might end up not liking it, but at least you would've tried it, and maybe even gotten an appreciation for/understanding of why others do enjoy it.

[quote name='TheCapn010'] I don't think I'll be purchasing any other Poke' games as I didn't enjoy it after Gold and Silver, but I strongly consider Red/Blue - Gold/Silver some of the greatest handheld games ever created and still occasionally feel like booting up the old GB Color to see how my lineup is doing (and maybe check the Lucky Number in Goldenrod.)[/QUOTE]
Same here. R/B/Y/G/S are, for me, my favorite game(s) of all time. The later games were good too and I'm having real fun with SoulSilver, but they didn't innovate like their predecessors. Pokemon just hit the states when I was 9, so it was like a perfect storm for me, and a terrible storm for my dad's wallet... a storm that claimed many, many Presidents from it.

I tried playing Pokemon Red and Blue when they first came out but the whole 'catch 'em all' gameplay just isn't for me. Shame since the screenshots from Black and White are fucking beautiful for a DS game. It looks as though it's trying some new things that other DS RPG's haven't tried yet as far as the overworld design goes. I was really impressed with the shot of the house and the shot of the skyscrapers.

I haven't put a lot of time into Pokemon games as a whole, but recently I've been playing Pokemon Gold on my DS. I like it because it's slow-paced, old-school style leveling, and as someone else said - relaxing. I don't always want a huge backstory and 100 different possible attacks. I also play it before I go to sleep.

[quote name='Puffa469']It combines several things that people like.

- Collecting
- Fighting/battling
- RPG leveling and progression

And it's slow pace means you don't need FPS style twitch gaming skills to be good at it. It's about critical thinking and statistical analysis wrapped up in a super cute package.

It's one of the deepest games ever that masquerades as a simple kids game. You can play the game at it's basest level and enjoy it, or you can dive deeply into it and enjoy it on a whole other level.[/QUOTE]

As someone who is curious about Pokemon games, this is a great answer! I'm not sure the point of the OP creating this thread, but I'm glad you decided to reply.

Not that I begrudge the other replies, because really why bother if you really have no interest? It seems like a backhanded way to bash a game that many people love.

So, if I started with the most recent Pokemon game, should I be OK?

[quote name='iggystar']
So, if I started with the most recent Pokemon game, should I be OK?[/QUOTE]

I was kind of wondering about this too. I kept hearing so much great stuff about Pokemon games, when they first came out I ignored them since the cartoon looked kiddish. I decided if I can get one for around $10 I would pick it up to try out. Used the BB coupon awhile back and got Explorer's in Time. Haven't played it yet wondering if it would be ok to jump in here or do I need to play something else before hand?

[quote name='iggystar']So, if I started with the most recent Pokemon game, should I be OK?[/QUOTE]
Yeah, you'll be fine.

One more point I'd like to add about the RPG aspect... You can think of it like an old-school RPG, like the early FF or DQ games. However, you have an enormous amount of flexibility in making your party. You pick up members as you go, and choose who you want in your party of 6. Of those, you get to choose the attacks and moves of each one. I'll bet nobody has the same experience playing through the game. ;)

[quote name='amacher']I was kind of wondering about this too. I kept hearing so much great stuff about Pokemon games, when they first came out I ignored them since the cartoon looked kiddish. I decided if I can get one for around $10 I would pick it up to try out. Used the BB coupon awhile back and got Explorer's in Time. Haven't played it yet wondering if it would be ok to jump in here or do I need to play something else before hand?[/QUOTE]

If I'm reading right you have Pokemon Mystery Dungeon: Explorers in Time.

That's sort of a side story/genre pokemon game. Like a spinoff. I've never played it, but I know it's not one of the main Pokemon RPG's, those are all named after colors or gems & metals, like Red/Green/Diamond/Pearl/Gold/Silver, etc.

I don't think that game has the traditional Pokemon collecting and battle gameplay.

You definitely don't need to start with older Pokemon games. The gameplay is 99% the same in every game, and each game has it's own self contained story.

I'd recommned one of the new DS games, Heart Gold, or Soul Silver. You may also wanna check out Platinum, which is another DS game that is sort of a remix/greatest hits of the two DS games before it, Diamond and Pearl.

Diamond/Pearl/Platinum are 'new' adventures, while Heart Gold and Soul Silver are remakes of older games, but since you've never played them, they are new to you!

[quote name='iggystar']

You will be fine. I never played a Pokemon game in my life until Diamond on the DS a couple of years ago and I had no issues getting into it.

Thanks for the suggetions, guys. Now one more question. I see these huge Pokemon game guides, are they helpful or not necessary?

[quote name='iggystar']Thanks for the suggetions, guys. Now one more question. I see these huge Pokemon game guides, are they helpful or not necessary?[/QUOTE]

Not necessary to play and enjoy the game.

They are helpful if you really get into it and want to 'catch em all'. But of course, internet resources are much better. Still I like having a pokedex in front of me I can flip through when I need to look up something real quick.

If your a strat guide person they are def worth it, but not at all necessary.

[quote name='iggystar']As someone who is curious about Pokemon games, this is a great answer! I'm not sure the point of the OP creating this thread, but I'm glad you decided to reply.

Not that I begrudge the other replies, because really why bother if you really have no interest? It seems like a backhanded way to bash a game that many people love.

I'm not bashing Pokemon, I'm just simply curious, that is all. Now that I have my first game (HeartGold), I can see why people love them. I too am hooked after playing for a while. I'll be carrying my Pokewalker from now everytime I walk to church (hidden of course).

I finally broke down and joined the craze.

[quote name='Meremare']I'm not bashing Pokemon, I'm just simply curious, that is all.[/QUOTE]
:whistle2:k

[quote name='Meremare']I never played one. But whenever I go online, I see people talking about Pokemon.

Last edited by Meremare; Today at 03:19 PM..[/QUOTE]
:shame:

[quote name='javeryh']So why do you even care? Why don't you try it and find out for yourself?[/QUOTE]

I agree with @javeryh. Don't knock it until you try it. But once you try it, you will realize you are waaaaay too old to be playing such a childish game.

Pokemon was cool in the late 90s, but not anymore

bread's done
Back