Poll: How many CAGs have had a broken 360?

[quote name='Puffa469']So far 193 people answered the poll, and were at a 66% failure rate.[/QUOTE]

Actually, let me come back to this. The question on this poll displays the % of *people* whose console has broken on them. This is a very interesting number no matter what it is, but it's actually smaller than the more interesting figure: what % of 360 consoles break?

Since one category asks how many people have had at least 2 360s die on them, there's a hidden % of the actual 360 failure rate in there. You'd have to count those consoles twice, or at least once for each console people have gone through.

Lemme demonstrate quickly:

At this moment, 64 people have answered that they have had a 360 break on them twice *or more*. So, at the very least, they account for 128 broken consoles (compared with the currently 76 who have had one die). That's, bare minimum, 204 broken consoles.

So, the conservative estimate for the failure rate of the 360 based on this poll (which, since it's voluntary and limited, isn't particularly reliable - but still interesting) would be 204/271 (the current 207 total voters plus the extra broken console for the 64 who chose option 2), or 75.28%. At the minimum, then, 3 out of every 4 Xbox 360s has broken for people who have answered this thread.

[quote name='mykevermin']Actually, let me come back to this. The question on this poll displays the % of *people* whose console has broken on them. This is a very interesting number no matter what it is, but it's actually smaller than the more interesting figure: what % of 360 consoles break?

Since one category asks how many people have had at least 2 360s die on them, there's a hidden % of the actual 360 failure rate in there. You'd have to count those consoles twice, or at least once for each console people have gone through.

Lemme demonstrate quickly:

At this moment, 64 people have answered that they have had a 360 break on them twice *or more*. So, at the very least, they account for 128 broken consoles (compared with the currently 76 who have had one die). That's, bare minimum, 204 broken consoles.

So, the conservative estimate for the failure rate of the 360 based on this poll (which, since it's voluntary and limited, isn't particularly reliable - but still interesting) would be 204/271 (the current 207 total voters plus the extra broken console for the 64 who chose option 2), or 75.28%. At the minimum, then, 3 out of every 4 Xbox 360s has broken for people who have answered this thread.[/QUOTE]

But isn't that assuming that each person is sent a new system and not having their original system "repaired", which from the posts and records is what most people seem to be receiving.

[quote name='dwhelan']But isn't that assuming that each person is sent a new system and not having their original system "repaired", which from the posts and records is what most people seem to be receiving.[/QUOTE]

And most people get the same one back or a refurb rather than a new system.

So just counting the 2 or more failure people as 1 gets at an estimate of the % of NEW consoles that fail. Won't be perfect as some people probably bought their first 360 used etc.

Also, we have to keep in mind some bias here.

1. It's a game forum so this is failure among more hardcore users. But that's still important as MS should care a great deal about these people as they buy more games than casual users only playing every now and then.

2. People are probably more likely to vote if they're pissed about failed consoles than to vote that there's has never broken.

But whatever the case, the failure rate is absurd. Especially among hardcore gamers who play a lot.

[quote name='dmaul1114']And most people get the same one back or a refurb rather than a new system.[/quote]

When you receive a system back you *do* expect it to continue to work and not die, don't you? I know *I* do. I expect my console to be returned to me with everything that was wrong with it repaired. The same goes for a refurb.

In either case (new, repair, or refurb), all three have the propensity to die, and all three should be considered. A console that dies twice and is returned repaired to the owner each time has a total of three opportunities to fail - so if it never fails that third time, I'd say the failure rate based on one console is 67%. Would you say that it failed 100% of the time because it broke after it was new? Of course you wouldn't.

So just counting the 2 or more failure people as 1 gets at an estimate of the % of NEW consoles that fail. Won't be perfect as some people probably bought their first 360 used etc.

To some degree - but the overall failure rate is more interesting in my view.

Also, we have to keep in mind some bias here.

1. It's a game forum so this is failure among more hardcore users. But that's still important as MS should care a great deal about these people as they buy more games than casual users only playing every now and then.

How does that have to do, *at all*, with the failure rate of the console? You and I got the same consoles as other users, do we not? There's greater concentration, but random distribution still applies. If anything, I would suspect that the failure rate among hardcore gamers *underestimates* the failure rate, simply based on the tiny, tiny percentage of people who use lot numbers and various means and schematics to buy a console that is a falcon, with this kind of drive, this version motherboard, etc - because they've heard they're more reliable.

I don't see how 'hardcore' gamers have any impact on the failure rate of a 360.

2. People are probably more likely to vote if they're pissed about failed consoles than to vote that there's has never broken.

OTOH, someone whose console has never broken may be more likely to vote based on wanting to defend the honor of "their" console (particularly amongst hardcore gamers, where emotive attachment to electronics is far more likely to exist). I think there is some bias in this survey because it's a voluntary forum post in a single forum (I'd like to see it frontpaged and see if the numbers shift at all), so it's may not be very generalizable. But then again, go back to the random distribution of consoles;

1) CAGs' 360 are no more or less likely to die than anyone else's
2) The stability of the % answers over time show that people aren't engaging in "vindictive voting" to try to sway the vote

I see no evidence that supports your assertion.

But whatever the case, the failure rate is absurd. Especially among hardcore gamers who play a lot.

I'm pretty confident that the 360 failure rate exists pretty independent of hours logged into the system. No storage location might be a different story, but I'm not convinced that the 360 has a timespan before it begins to die - some just overheat sooner, and some later.

[quote name='dwhelan']But isn't that assuming that each person is sent a new system and not having their original system "repaired", which from the posts and records is what most people seem to be receiving.[/quote]
When they repair them aren't they replacing a defective component which means they are getting another defective component. Also less than half of the people that had their 360 fixed once had to have it fixed again which would imply that fixed 360s have a lower failure rate(although its possible they have the same or a higher failure rate which hasn't shown up yet do to not enough time passing since the repair.)

Dumb question, but when my replacement craps out (because I know it will) and I buy a new 360 will I lose my live arcade games? Or when I recovery my gamertag on the new system will I be able to download them again?

Or can I just attach my old hard drive the the new system and not have to do a thing?

[quote name='mykevermin']
To some degree - but the overall failure rate is more interesting in my view.
[/quote]

I was just pointing out there's different types of failure rates

I don't see how 'hardcore' gamers have any impact on the failure rate of a 360.
[/quote]

It's a heating issue. Hardcore gamers play more hours a week, and play longer sessions. It's common sense. A gamer playing 60 hours a week in sessions lasting up to 10 hours is much more likely to get the RROD during the same timre period than a casual gamer who is lucky to use the console as much the whole time they own it as the other guy does in a month or two. Long sessions are particularly risky as the components are under high heat for prolonged periods of time.

I'm pretty confident that the 360 failure rate exists pretty independent of hours logged into the system. .[/QUOTE]

All electronics fail at some point, and amount of wear and tear put on them is part of it. For RROD overall hours may not matter quite as much. What matters is super long sessions that keep the console hot for several hours at a time. That certainly makes heat related problems more likely to occcur than someone that only plays here and there for an hour or so.

[quote name='itachiitachi']When they repair them aren't they replacing a defective component which means they are getting another defective component. [/QUOTE]

They replace the component that was damaged by heating, and add some things to prevent it happening again such as a new heatsink (for older models that didn't have it) better gel/glue (forget what it's called) to hold stuff in place etc.

[quote name='rodeojones903']Dumb question, but when my replacement craps out (because I know it will) and I buy a new 360 will I lose my live arcade games? Or when I recovery my gamertag on the new system will I be able to download them again?
[/QUOTE]

You can download them again, but you then have to be connected to X-box live to play them. Some people call and bitch and get them transferred to the new console, but it sounds like the vast majority of people get shot down when they try to do that.

[quote name='rodeojones903']Dumb question, but when my replacement craps out (because I know it will) and I buy a new 360 will I lose my live arcade games? Or when I recovery my gamertag on the new system will I be able to download them again?

Or can I just attach my old hard drive the the new system and not have to do a thing?[/quote]

Your XBLA games will only work if you are connected to Live. Even if you keep the same hdd, it works the same cos the drm ties the games to the hdd and the console itself.

Great job Microsoft on linking drm to a piece of hardware with a 65%+ failure rate. Thats fucking wonderful. :roll:

If you change your hdd, you lose all your saved games. When my 360 died I went out and bought a Halo 3 edition for the Falcon chipset. Of course I wanted to use the matching green and copper hdd, so I lost all my saved games.

I thought I could use the transfer cable, which I have, but guess what? It doesnt work when transferring from a 20gb to a 20gb drive. It only works when you transfer to a 120gb drive. :roll:

I even tried to open up the damn hdd case, but of course it has fucking security screws on it.

I really, really, really fucking hate Microsoft. I love the games I play on my 360, but as far as the hardware, and the drm, the people responsible for it can go to hell.

[quote name='Puffa469']
I really, really, really fucking hate Microsoft. I love the games I play on my 360, but as far as the hardware, and the drm, the people responsible for it can go to hell.[/QUOTE]

This is the pickle part. If the 360 had similar reliability to the PS3 and the ability to switch to any HDD and the like, it would be the best system of all time IMO.

had the thing go strong for about a year, then it finally died
i actually hadn't gotten RRoD, but instead it just wouldn't turn on
i think that nyko intercooler i had on messed it up
of course i told M$ it was their fault though :p

one i have now is going strong :)

Knocking on wood here (i hope this thing is wood...) but my launch system has not broken on me. I am freaking worried though...

My first system died over a year in, and while waiting for the replacement I bought a Pro for the bigger hard drive. When the replacement arrived it turned out to be a brand new system, which I sold to a friend. Both my Pro and the replacement that my friend now has are running fine.

Like many said here... love the games, but sigh, hate the hardware :(

my first X360 died on me while playing Gears of War for less than two weeks (imagine the horror i went through)... The replacement came in three weeks and i don't have problems since.

Base on my experience, i'm not gonna throw too much money buying games from Live. First of all, upgrading the hdd is a bitch (bleed too much greens to do that). Secondly, it's a pain in the ass... Fortunately, i don't have any full Live game except Undertow (free).

I got an Elite on launch day at Sam's Club for a good deal, brought it home, hooked it up stoked to play it and upon boot up got a RROD. I even went so far as to document the whole unboxing process with pictures, felt like an idiot. After swearing and cursing i boxed everything back up and brought it back to Sam's for another one, they were like, "already huh?". Exchanged it out for a new one and its been working fine since *knocks on wood*. I don't know what i'd do w/out my xbox its the centerpiece to all my media related entertainment, plays my movies, DLed tv shows, music, pictures and games.

My brother and I each got one at launch and each RROD'ed 4 times. We had extended warranties so they were replaced with Halo Edition ones with no problems yet.

My launch 360 is still working, its survived a cross country move, a house with 4 cats, and a infrequent smoker, and two children.

Just to interject- I voted as having a non0broken system, but that's not entirely true. My 360 works fine, except the motor for the disc tray does not work, so I have to manually pry the dam thing open. Plus, I can't play Xbox live arcade games on Xbox live for some reasons...

Yes, and I went through three of the original Xbox's. I have since sold my 360 gear (system, 2 guitars, 25 games) because I'm not going to put up with this type of crap anymore. Time to get my first playstation ever...

Got my US Xbox 360 Core on March 2006 and it's still working great. I also got a Japanese Xbox 360 Platinum on March 2007 and there is no problem.

After it broke the first time I BOUGHT that stupid warranty extension for like $50 I think? I got this 360 from the the Zero Hour launch event. The second one broke again and now I am on my third and it seems to be working fine.

I think a lawsuit should be filed and I want my $50 back.

I have had mine since a few months before Halo 3. I am not sure when I got it. Although mine has not died my friend got his dead when he bought it august 07. He exchanged it for a new one but now he is going to have to send it out tomorrow.

I've had my 360 since launch, and it's worked great. I schlep it back and forth for LAN parties, I've dropped the hard drive, and it still works like a charm. Of course, now that I've posted this, I'm sure I'll turn it on tomorrow morning, and it'll be dead...

I had a launch 360 that broke about 7 months in. When I got it back, I traded it in for a PS3. About 5 months ago I bought a 360 Elite that I haven't had any trouble with.

65% failure rate so far for this sample group...wow. That's horrible.

I don't personally have a 360, but I threw in a vote on behalf of a friend, whose 360 gave out a month ago after serving for 2 years.

I dunno personally i think i should be feeling lucky that i have not had a failure yet( got mine when gow came out), but i always worry that i my xbox will eventually fail on me, just that fear of the xbox breaking sometimes keeps me away from playing the system

[quote name='vi3tmix']65% failure rate so far for this sample group...wow. That's horrible.

I don't personally have a 360, but I threw in a vote on behalf of my friend, whose 360 gave out a month ago after serving for 2 years.[/QUOTE]

To be fair, this isn't quite statistically sound - the poll's optional participation, with no way to verify accuracy of the data. That said...those numbers still scare the fuck out of me.

I've been reluctant to get a 360 so far in large part because of the failure rate, and this thread definitely isn't soothing those fears any.

EDIT: With 454 votes, the first two columns add up to 64.54% failure rate. fuck. :shock:

I voted for Yes I've had it break once.
I got my 360 for my birthday and it was RRoD as soon as we plugged it in. So I really never had it for it to break..as we just exchanged it at Walmart for another one. I've had that one ever since. (Sept 2006)

But I guess, I guess I had a broken 360.

i got mine at launch and it got the 3 red lights last week. i went ahead and requested a work order and they are sending a return box my way. weird thing is, though, i replugged everything in later that day and my 360 has worked perfectly since. i was just wondering if the rest of you CAGs think i should still send it in, or hold onto the repair box until in does go out? (keep in my that there have been no hiccups since i requested the repair, weird)

[quote name='Chucki Norris']i got mine at launch and it got the 3 red lights last week. i went ahead and requested a work order and they are sending a return box my way. weird thing is, though, i replugged everything in later that day and my 360 has worked perfectly since. i was just wondering if the rest of you CAGs think i should still send it in, or hold onto the repair box until in does go out? (keep in my that there have been no hiccups since i requested the repair, weird)[/quote]

Well, unless there's a postmark deadline that must be met for the return box, I say you may as well keep it until it shows the red ring again.

I got my 360 a year ago last september used (the original buy date was January 2006 i think) and its still kicking. I'm actually amazed that it is though. It sounds like a jet engine and freezes quite often, but i've had no red ring. I don't play it as much as others around here though (the last game I played on it was Mass Effect when it came out.

[quote name='SNAKE EYES EX']My 'Built October 2005' launch box is still working flawlessly.

I suspect my luck with consoles (never had one break) is a combination of not smoking (anything), having my house a consistent 69-72º, having an open air AV rack, and having my consoles hooked up to a home theater line conditioner.

Oh my 360 has also been vertical too.[/QUOTE]

Had mine since one month after launch. I'm not a real heavy gamer, so that might be part of it. I also keep it very well ventilated. I've had really good luck with my consoles also. I've had launch systems for Dreamcast, PS2, Xbox, and my 360 and Wii were one-month-after-launch consoles. Besides the crappy PS2 controllers that break if you look at them wrong, everything is still working. I do think my original Xbox is on it's last legs though.

I've had my 360 since August of 2006 and have never had a problem.I got it on ebay brand new for $365 shipped (it was $400 plus tax in-store at the time).Had I known of all the hardware problems I probably would have never bought it,but I guess I'm one of the lucky ones!

Mine didn't overheat but the disk drive completely stopped working.
To give a little console perspective, I've also had to replace my ps2 because the disk drive crapped out on me. And I've had to return my ps3 one day after getting it in the mail (the rep I talked to said it was probably a broken graphics card).
So I don't have the best luck.
But the snes survives to this day after beers being dropped on it, massive secondary smoke, and being kicked several times .
(none of my new consoles have been subjected to this btw)

Guitar Hero 2 bricked my first system about a year ago, the refurbished system I got as a replacement from Microsoft is still working. We'll see if it makes it past a year...I'm skeptical.

No RRoD yet. Had a system for 18 months still going strong. Had my 2nd 360 (falcon), for a month and no problems either.

bread's done
Back