Poll: How many CAGs have had a broken 360?

on my 4th console right now.

1st was DOA after purchasing from gamestop. so i exchanged that.

2nd was cutting rings into my discs. lite ones, but i noticed them and turned out that each disc was progressively getting worse scratches than others. GS exchange as well.

3rd had the GPU going bad on me, while playing Overlord. just kept freezing and distorting the graphics along with a multi color checker board display.

now i'm kinda hoping the 4th lasts me a bit longer, though i've already gotten one E68 out of it. i disconnected and tested it with out the hard drive attached and so forth, and now seemingly it is gone. hopefully for good...

I'm sure this is a rare case, I still have my LAUNCH DAY November 11, 2005 Xbox 360, zero issues and running strong. No lock ups, nothing since day one.:applause:

How about a question of "I didn't buy a 360 ONLY because of the shoddy construction and extremely high failure rate"? *Check*

My first 360 died last december after 18 months of ownership but my replacement came on my birthday of all days, unfortunately my birthday was spoiled when I found out that all my arcade games weren't working because of Microsoft's DRMs so I had to call Microsoft face 3 hangups and stay roughly 2 hours on their telephone line just to get the resolution of it will take them 30 days to get everything relicensed while ultimately everything did get fixed the way MS customer service has treated me with all the hang ups and me not trusting the hardware reliability of a console(a $400 console shouldn't break in 18 months or cause the end user to worry that their console will break soon) I just can't justify myself to buy another xbox branded console ever again.

I hope people realize that the results from this poll will be a good bit higher than if random 360 owners were polled since CAGs are generally more hardcore gamers and their 360s will be played a lot harder.

Mine has been in the shop three times so far for the three red rings. After this last time I have started two disk read errors where I had never had one before.

Mine was just shipped back to me from Texas for a RROD. It broke in the middle of February and was purchased the Thanksgiving before last.

Had a launch day console die on me in late October last year. So far the one they sent back hasn't died on me, but it does have a problem with it. It makes a loud buzzing noise when the drive spins down, which will happen in the middle of a game for no reason. It's great because when it happens I get to hold my breath waiting to see if it will give me a disc read error or not (usually in rock band it almost always does).

I bought an XBOX 360 in the summer of '06 and had no problems initially...I had the RROD once in 4 months, I however did not play the console much...thus giving it to my cousin...he has had to send it into Microsoft about 3 times since it has been his.

I am unsure as to which I should pick, but the poll data does not surprise me one bit.

I'm on number 3 right now. First two units lasted between 10-12 months each. Terrible CS experience this last time where it took about 5 weeks just for them to finally mail me a coffin - somebody screwed up twice submitting the repair order. What did they offer me for this inconvenience? Nothing, nada --- and they want me to pay $50/yr. for XBox Live, ha! I picked up a PS3 last month and love it - haven't touched the 360 at all since and if I hadn't spent all that money on the marketplace and if it wouldn't cost a fortune to replace Rockband and GH3 then I would trade it in for more PS3 games/accessories.
Not fanboy stuff here seriously, I've got a PS3,360 and a Wii - it just really ticked me off this last time when it RROD'd and I had no 360 for three Christmas parties because they screwed up my work order and then offer me nothing as compensation.

[quote name='JoshD']How about a question of "I didn't buy a 360 ONLY because of the shoddy construction and extremely high failure rate"? *Check*[/QUOTE]

Can't have a broken console until you actually have the console itself.

EDIT: It's interesting to see how frontpaging this has helped option #3 much more than the others. Interesting stuff.

For $400, I shouldn't have to "warm up" or "cool down" a 360 before or after playing it. Some of the precautions I read about people taking are amazing.

I'm on my 4th, and I think this one is on it's way out, too.

#1 Launch Day console, lasted 1 year, RRoD. Returned to Microsoft
#2 Refurb from Microsoft, dead out of the box. Microsoft wanted me to pay to ship it back to them
#3 Refurb from Microsoft, lasted 11 months, RRoD
#4 Refurb from Microsoft, 2 months old, starting to skip & DRE, will have to go back soon.

The crazy thing is I'd put up with all this shit of getting a "new" 360 every 12 months if the Customer Service wasn't so fucking awful. I'm so sick of dealing with 1-800-4-MYINDIA. If there was anything even remotely interesting on Wii or PS3 I would have switched long ago, and I was a die hard Xbox fan last gen.

Between the horrible failure rate, the shitty DRM (downloads that you're fucked out of when your console breaks), and many other little things like not being able to delete your credit card without cancelling your Live account & starting over with a new account just pushes me away from Xbox a little more each day.

At this point I probably will still buy the next Xbox, but not at launch. I'll wait for "better" consoles and a lower price.

Answered for my boyfriend's console, since it's the closest I'm getting to having a 360- his first one broke down just a few weeks ago (his computer crashed the next day to boot.)

He's currently plugging through some PS2 RPGs while he waits for his system to come back.

Still have my launch 360 in great condition. Only had freezing problems back when I played PGR 3 but I'm pretty sure they fixed that in a patch. I even built a reserve to buy an Elite back when they came out getting ready for mine to die but it never happened. I have a friend too who hasn't had anything happen to his 360 since launch either.

My launch 360 RROD right around when Halo 3 released. I got it repaired and it's being going strong since then except for occasional disc errors (bordering on frequent).

I have actually gone through 5 XBOX 360's, and I am currently on my 6th. I have had an Elite now for 6 months (with heavy use) without a problem. It has been frustrating since the release of the system - though I must say it is my primary system and my favorite of the Next Gen's that I own.

BTW - When I contacted to complain to Microsoft on this issue of going through so many, they sent me Viva Pinata for my troubles... Viva Pinata. Needless to say that this did not make up for the broken consoles.

I've have my 360 since august '06 and while it hasn't become inoperable, there are a couple weird issues with it:

- You have to repeatedly open and close the disc drive to make it read the disc when inserting a new title and you have to leave a game in the drive at all times otherwise you need to try about ten times to get the door to open.

- Disc read error at about every 20 hours (no, not all at once :roll:) of gameplay.

- System will freeze at the xbox logo on power on (not very often, about one in every 50 or so times I turn the system on).

So yeah, its still working - but not well.

I have a launch system which has never given me a problem. I put it in my entertainment center the first day I got it, but there was so much heat coming out that I eventually placed it vertically next to my TV. I've had it running for hours a day playing games and watching HD DVD's. Ironically, my launch Nintendo Wii's drive motor died two days after the one year warranty. If I hadn't registered my Wii online and gotten that three month extension, I would have been SOL. Every other Nintendo sysytem I've had has been bulletproof. My Wii is the only system that makes me nervous, certainly not my 360.

Mine is still going strong! I've had it for just about 6 months now and use it all the time. I love watching videos on it when I am not gaming. I didn't hesitate to buy it after they raised the warantee on it.

I have a launch date system, play for about 15 hours a week, maybe 2 or three hours at a time. Never had any problems with it. I know of at least three other people, some game more some less who have had RROD.

I made sure I bought my Xbox from Costco so I would have an easy time getting a new one when it broke. Sure enough, my first one broke within 3 months, and Costco had no problem exchanging it. Luckily, my second one is still running strong 1 year and counting.

#1 My launch 360 lasted 2 1/2 years. Then the DVD drive motor failed. I guess I played too many DVD movies. I payed to get it fixed.

#2 I bought a dead/RRD 360 on ebay and had it fixed for free. Sold it on Ebay because I need the cash.

#3 I bought a new 360 for my child that lasted a month (RRD). After warranty repair, it works great.

I dont usually like TV, so I'm getting my moneys worth out of my 360 even though I had to pay for repair and deal with all the problems.

Wether it was my PS1 or PS2 or XBOX 1 or XBOX 360, if seems the CD or DVD drive is usually the problem.

Using a cheap DVD drive is not cool!

My first xbox would freeze whenever I put in a disc... brand new right from the store. So I brought it back and got a new one. The new one has been going strong since May. I got the red ring of death like last week when I popped in a dvd. I simply restarted the machine and its been working fine since.

I've had two Xbox 360s suffer the Red Rings and both returns were nightmarish experiences.

Microsoft has a lot to learn in the field of Customer Service.

mine didn't red ring but I could not finish lost planet. froze at the same place everytime and also would freeze during gears and olivion here and there. had to send that puppy back.

it took mine a year but it did red ring a few months back, fortunately for me i had just picked up Persona 3 for my PS2, so i did not miss it too badly while it was getting repaired.

I haven't been able to get a console that will last more than 8 months. I don't typically mind the month that it takes for the console to be repaired b/c it just gives me a chance to play some older ps2 games.

My launch system broke and then the replacement system died about a year later... I'm sure the Falcon hardware has solved most of those problems though.

Right now I am on my 3rd 360 and even that one is starting to have minor issues such as freezing in the middle of games (single player and multiplayer), wireless connection signal gets dropped or is weak at times even though I just bought a brand new router ALONG with the MS wireless USB connector, and it makes a terrible sound when starting games and the sound continues until the system is shut off. I have 4 main friends that I play with on a consistent basis. All of them except one have had the RROD, so I don't believe the whole "30%" BS that MS spits out in press releases.

To be honest, I have been purchasing games that go multiplatform for my PS3 over my 360 because of the RROD issue. If the 360 I have right now RROD's, I will send it in to MS to have it repaired, trade in the refurbished console I get back, along with my many 360 games, and replace the multiplatform games with PS3 ones only. It's completely ridiculous and MS should be embarrassed as a console producing company.

I have had 5 Xbox 360s in my house. I had 2 go bad due to a bad DVD drive and one RRoD. My last problem was in September or so, when the DVD drive wouldn’t work with any game other than CoD2. I was sending it in just as Halo 3 was coming out. I didn’t want to look at my friend list and see everyone playing it, but me. So, I bought a new Pro system.

So, I’ve had 3 repairs and that means 4 Xboxes there. I then also bought a new one and that makes 5. I still have and use both. I have the new one hooked up to my HDTV and the repairedd one to my computer LCD.

I had my first 360 for all of one day. The first night I was playing it, I was only playing Hexic HD and some demos, since I didn't have any games yet. It locked up playing Hexic after a couple hours. Then every time I tried playing a demo it would lock up after a few minutes or even seconds. I never got a RRoD, but luckily was able to exchange it at the store for a new one.

[quote name='gacktplays']I'm a PS3 owner and do not own a 360 therefore I did not vote.
360 don't have the type of games I like so I was never going to get a 360 anyway; but I was interested in the results and as of this post the poll for the 360 failure rate is over 50%.

I find this very hard to believe, how can it be this high??? Wouldn't there be law suits everywhere against Microsoft if the failure rate is indeed this high?

Anyway I just wanted to express my shock and I hope nobody votes against 360 just for spite because they only have a PS3 or something.[/quote]

hahaha, very funny and sad... nope, if i'm spiteful, i would have used the f-bomb all over the place after the RRoD incident. It sucks, but what can you really do? All MS did was extend the warranty to three years for Red Ring. Yeap, the count is high and i'm puzzled about the 10-30% failure rate posted elsewhere...

I had my bought March 2006 unit fail in Feb. 2007, just after they'd extended the warranty to 1 year. They made me pay to ship it to them because they thought they were doing me a favor with the extended warranty. Jerks!

With a few exceptions, I averaged perhaps 2-4 per week (if that) of play time, so it's not like I pounded on it. OTOH, a buddy had a launch unit that he played 4-6 hours per DAY that never had a problem and was going strong when he replaced it with an Elite. Go figure.

[quote name='JadedJedi']Mine has been working for too long. I am starting to fear the red ring of death. My 360 has been making a weird snapping sound after the system has been turned off. I have a question: Does the disc tray still open with the red ring or do I have to use a paper clip to get my disc out?[/quote]

The tray still open when the X360 is RRoD'd. I remember this b/c i had to take out Gears of War... that was a painful memory, i was kinda "hooked" into Gears (my 2nd X360 game ever played) for few days and really really really looking forward to play it after work and all and then the X360 RRoD'd, sucks...

[quote name='dave17']I hope people realize that the results from this poll will be a good bit higher than if random 360 owners were polled since CAGs are generally more hardcore gamers and their 360s will be played a lot harder.[/quote]

i agree with the saying.... but that doesn't mean the poll is any better if we include people who don't play that much game on their X360. I know few people who got a X360 and never really use it. Of course, if they vote, it would be "never have problem with it" but that doesn't mean it's an accurate vote...

My 360 broke once, got the RRoD after a year, then it worked awhile then died again. I only counted it as breaking once though, since it was never actually fixed.

I'm not buying another one.

I had three issues. The launch console I bought was broke out of the box and I had to send it in right away. They sent a different model that lasted a long while and then it red ringed. They fixed the red ring and sent it back and about a month ago it stopped playing discs (DDE). Sent it in and they fixed it and it works fine.

I bought the warranty after I had the problem right out of the box and it is still good until November 2008. If they offer it I would like to extend it before it expires. I have had very little problem with there customer service and have received my console back within 12 days of sending it out.

I'm on my 4th 360...had 3 break in less than 8 months. First one froze up with video artifacts/random rrod. Second one had disc read errors. 3rd(which is actually also the 4th) stopped responding to controllers and when I sent that in they gave me a new power brick too.

So far this one works but the DVD drive makes some weird noises once in a while.

Yeah I get my multi plats on the PS3 now.

I got mine about 6-7 months ago from an auction on eBay ($275.00, no shipping charge, 3 games, extra controller and remote(!!!)) and it's working great. I don't think the original owners did much with it. I've been playing it pretty regularly, it's taken over the Wii as my primary game system. I'd say I play it anywhere from 0-20 hours a week. I do fear for it's continued lifespan, but it's not showing any signs of imminent death.

My dad has had one since near the launch and it still works great for him, but he only plays it when a new WWII shooter or Tiger Woods game comes out.

i have an elite from may 07, so far so good! it red-ringed on me once when starting up, but that was my fault because i didnt realize before hand that it was somewhere without proper ventilation! i used to play the 360 a lot more, but the past maybe 2-3 weeks i havent played much...but before i went on a gaming marathon (bioshock-cod4, etc)

My launch console broke about a month ago, still waiting for MS to ship it back.

I find it interesting that there are much fewer " I've had an Xbox 360 for less than 6 months and it hasn't broken", than the ones with older hardware.. So much for Falcon being more reliable?

My launch console died six months after I got it. I returned it to Best Buy (Extended Warranty) and they replaced it. That one died six months after that. I sent that one back to MS and my third one (still technically my 2nd I believe) has worked fine since.

I have a launch console and it still works great. Which is especially good news since I run the thing on at least 50 hours a week. Though my brother in law has had 2 break on him.

I have 2, a launch console and an elite and both are still running just fine. Both are also kept lowest on the entertainment rack and on their side for best heat displacement.

I submitted this to Digg. Feel free to Digg it up so that we can get a more reliable percentage estimation, with the possibility of some new CAGs.

bread's done
Back