Poll: How many people would bid on NON-PayPal auction?

jumbo11

CAGiversary!
I'm asking because, I can see myself puttin up some of my valuable items on Ebay in the future and as many here, I do not have a lot trust in people. It is too easy for people to get around the system and end up with both your item and money.

Do the majority have any problems paying via MO/Check, etc.? If the seller seems OK that is, even more so if he's a member here.

Just trying to see what the potential is. Thanks for any opinions.

Well, I don't mind to pay by Money Order, Check, or other forms of payment because if it is something I really want I will pay for it by whichever means is good for the seller.

One of the last things I bought on Ebay I paid for with a Money Order because the seller is like you and doesn't trust Paypal which was fine with me. Some others though might not like it.

you are taking the chance of your item selling for a lot less by not taking paypal. I recently won an item that only accept ubid, check and money order and the auction ended about $30 less than it normally would.

I wouldn't, I treat my paypal money as a bonus (got it through a stock market website), which I'm willing to risk on ebay, there's no way I'd send a check or money order. I do not consider myself the average ebayer though, I only buy rarely, so you may get some bids w/o paypal if you have very good feedback.

[quote name='Cornfedwb']I'm not going through the time or trouble of a money order. If the seller doesn't do paypal, I don't bother bidding.[/quote]

I aggree

i only bid on auctions with paypal, its just too much of a hassle to get a money order, mail a check or money order, wait for them to clear and then send out when i can pay within 5 minutes of the auction ending.

also, dont think that youre safe getting money orders or checks, many people have problems with them. you can get a fake money order, put it in your bank, get the money in your bank, and then week later be informed it was a fake and suddenly be in the hole.

Its safe to say auctions taking pay pal get more action in the end.

Its easy to protect yourself when shipping within the US only.

Just take confirmed address's only and make sure you use DC.

Thing about checks are even if it clears at first, and you ship, it can still come back and bite you in the ass.

Money orders can be faked.

Spend the extra few bucks and insure it yourself for peace of mind.

It would have to be something I really really want to spend money with a buyer that doesnt take pay pal.

Getting around the system? Just be cautious. Try not to ship out of country until you are sure that the person is serious. That is a huge step right there. Make sure you only ship to confirmed address. Don't accept bids from anyone below a 5 feedback.

I hate when people refuse to ship to Canada because of the paypal risk. I figure take it case by case. Ship to Canada if the user has 50+ positive feedback and ship international if they have over 100+ positive. That protects you and opens you up to that market. Also ensure you are shipping to a confirmed address.

1 vote for MO, the rest PP only.

I just looked at the thread about me, "*Sigh*" and the seller looks to be out the item and his money thanks to PayPal.

Hahaha maybe this is too much hassle after all...

I tend to steer clear of any non-PayPal auction unless the item is relatively cheap and a bargain. I think that's happpened maybe twice in 250+ transactions on eBay.

I'm probably going to pass on a non-PP auction. Exception would be something I'm really looking for (and is hard to find even on eBay) and a seller with great feedback.

And if I can't pay PayPal I'm probably going to want to do personal check over MO. No fee and I don't have to go to the bank.

I never bid on non paypal auctions because its too much of a hassle going to the post office paying for a money order and stamp then waiting for the seller to recieve the payment then waiting for him to ship out.

for me i hate paypal and ebay altogether... got ripped off several times, reported claims and paypal just ignored me... i rather get things in store or online retailer then auction.

Buyers prefer Paypal because its the current easy solution to bid on eBay. They run the risk of having a seller run off with their check or money order. eBay's somewhat recent policy of small-claims (up to $200, less processing fee of $35-$50) on MO/check purchases was eliminated I think, because they found most buyers paid with Paypal.

Sellers usually prefer Paypal for expedited transactions. Some sellers secretly prefer money orders (occasionally checks) to migitate the risk of a fradulent buyer who might try a faux dispute.

It's the nature of the beast, you can do Money Orders if you want but you limit your exposure by a very large pecentage.

Personally, I would NEVER take Paypal for a large purchase that's prone to fradulent returns or reversals (such as electronics, i.e. disc-swapping, system part swapping). It's also a pain if the winning bidder is a luddite in the case of returns for a perfectly-fine electronic.

One guy tried to send me a money order one time and it ended up getting lost in the mail. So he had to register a paypal account to pay me.

I would never pay for an auction with a money order or check. The only time I will not use Paypal is if the seller offers Google Checkout or some other secure credit card payment service (and then they have to have excellent feedback for me to use it)

FYI I only accept Non-paypal payment and its quite strange because everyone tells me that I have to take paypal, but when I compare my item listings to those of others, I get the same amount of money or more for my stuff, even though I don't take paypal. I do have good feedback though, 291 positives so perhaps that helps things out.

Seriously though, I don't think I could sell on ebay if i took paypal, I sell a lot of outlandish toy and kid-related items, items that people would feel very stupid for purchasing after the fact, and this can lead to chargebacks. I simply cannot afford to deal with a chargeback, I have been using money order/check for 2 years and thats the way its going to stay. I have heard all the horror stories about paypal and done the research, paypal always rules in favor of the buyer when it comes to disputes even if you can prove you sent the item. The buyer can claim its not in described condition or that it doesn't work even if it does or its in better than described condition just to get their money back.

I sell a lot of products to soccer moms who are picky about items so this also covers me if they complain and whine even though I describe items probably more accurately than other sellers, when they start complaining and whining is what could lead to a chargeback as well. I could definitely see a lot of people charging me back when they realized they were stupid for spending 70$+ for that pokemon backpack for their kid and similar instances or once they figure out that the system will let them charge it back just so their kid can get the item they want, then I am in the hole.

i know my 2 cents probably doesnt matter, but i wouldnt mind buying from someone who doesnt accept paypal. i just make sure to look at their account history, sales, when they created the account and i also like to send them a bunch of emails and so we can communicate about what is going on, if there is good convo then things may seem good. but i also save the emails sent back and forth just to cover my but. but hey, if you have something i want, i will buy it.

If there are multiple items listed and one accepts paypal and one accepts only money orders/check I buy the one where I can pay with paypal. If it's rare stuff I'll pay however though.

I'll still pay either way since I've even sent money orders to Japan and got my items in less than a week.

Paypal is just more convenient.

you find the best deals when the seller accepts only checks/MOs

IMO MOs are a waste of time and money. you're charged like .03 per dollar, you have to supply your own envelope and stamp, and you use up gas money [ if you have to drive there ].

and you shouldn't use checks because your bank account # is on it, and there's techinques to remove the ink from the check [ unless it's felt-tip ].

if you want the most you can get from an auction, have Paypal be one of the options.

Many people hate the hassle of a money order so most, like me, just stick with Paypal and avoid the auctions that don't take it.

[quote name='Cornfedwb']I'm not going through the time or trouble of a money order. If the seller doesn't do paypal, I don't bother bidding.[/quote]

same here. Paypal simplifies life.

i dont bid much on ebay, but if the seller has good feedbacks, then sure, i figure the no paypal would scare many off,so i get it for less.

bread's done
Back