Poll: When game releases are stacked into a small window...

StupidGamer

CAG Veteran
Around the holidays or March you typically get a huge number of big releases all coming out within a few short weeks of each other. When this happens do you typically,

A. Buy them all new and just start piling up your backlog?
B. Buy the 2-3 that most interest you and pick up the others cheaper/used later on?
C. Wait for price drops/used copies before buying any of them?
D. Other?

I'm under the impression that if developers spread out their releases more evenly through the year that gamers would be more likely to pick games up at full price or wouldn't buy as many used games. When I get 3-4 games for Christmas, I hold off buying other games while I finish what I have, but by the time I go to check out the other games I missed, Gamestop or Amazon usually has used copies for $10-$20 less, and so I buy that. If games were less stacked up on each other, I'd probably just buy them as they came out unless I wasn't all that sure about the game's quality.

Am I alone on this idea?

B except I always just pick up the one title that interests me the most and wait on all the others. The only exception is Nintendo first party because those rarely drop.

I pick up most of my games off of Goozex, and try to only request games when I have time to play them. At most, I'd buy the 1 game I really wanted to play right away, and then wait for deals (or goozex) on the rest when I had time to play them.

It's silly to buy them all at launch prices if you can't get around to playing them right away. If you're a buy at launch guy, but the ones you want to play right now, and wait to buy the others as maybe there will be some deals between launch and the time you finish the other ones and are ready to buy a new one.

Building a back log is just stupid IMO.

[quote name='cochesecochese']B except I always just pick up the one title that interests me the most and wait on all the others. The only exception is Nintendo first party because those rarely drop.[/QUOTE]
I do the same thing, I narrow it down to one game to buy at full price by taking into consideration how long the game is, how soon I think it will drop, and which game I would put in to play if I had all of them available to me at that moment. Then, I just buy the other games I have interest in when they are cheaper.

There are exceptions though, like when there is a good deal on a game before it's even out. Amazon and their game credit promos have been baiting me into buying more than one game within a small period of time.

(op, you should have just made an actual poll)

But, I am going with B.
I am picking up FF13, GOW3 and Dante's Inferno in the next 2-3 months and going to put a hold on Bioshock2, Yakuza 3 and whatever else that comes out in the first quarter.

B.

For example, this past holiday season I picked up MW2 and Forza 3 at launch, because I HAD to play those. The other games I wanted I'm waiting for good price drops on, stuff like Borderlands and Demon's Souls. I do want to play them, but I can't be paying $60 or more for every game.

C, defintely. I play a lot but don't rush so I ended up with a backlog. Since I never NEED to buy a game at launch it's best to wait for a price drop or a really good used sale. Usually whenever it reaches $35 or so to take advantage of sales. Problem is the B2G1's or discounts cause me to buy several at once so the backlog grows and shrinks all the time. I'd rather not wait just in case a game becomes hard to find. The only exceptions are when there is a really nice bonus with a new game.

It's weird that I didn't just post a poll, I know. The reason is that I wanted people to actually respond rather than just clicking a bubble and ducking out.

C. I don't care when a developer releases a game, I'll get around to buying it and playing it when I can fit it into the stack of other games I have. Resist the urge to salivate over the new and shiny in previews, don't buy according to the developers release schedule, buy and play the tons of other cheap but still great games that aren't being pushed on you by marketing anymore since they are 3+ months old. This just seems to go along with being A CAG.

bread's done
Back