Portal 2 (PS3/360) $34.99 (PC) $29.99 - Amazon (still-ongoing from 04/30/11 DOTD)

[quote name='egonpax']Oh noes! I just thought about that! Argh. Most likely not. Apparently you have to link both steam accounts together...

THere might be a work around for this? Idk.[/QUOTE]

There isn't, according to Valve, however, PSN is slated to come back online on Tuesday (at least partially online). So, hopefully when it comes back online, the ability to do that will be available.

[quote name='SpartenOmega117']don't know if i should feel bad or not for buying it for $43 from bestbuy yesterday.[/QUOTE]

I don't think so. I bought it from GS yesterday and I expected Amazon to at least match GS's price but this game is awesome. I am the type of person that would order it from Amazon and return it to GS but this game deserves better... I played 4 or 5 hours straight yesterday and I loved every second of it.

[quote name='eliter1']I don't think so. I bought it from GS yesterday and I expected Amazon to at least match GS's price but this game is awesome. I am the type of person that would order it from Amazon and return it to GS but this game deserves better... I played 4 or 5 hours straight yesterday and I loved every second of it.[/QUOTE]

I feel the same way. It is an amazing game.

Should I keep waiting to buy this game? I have $35 in my amazon account already. How far do you guys think Portal 2 will drop? At this rate, I can see this game dropping down to less than $20 in 6 months or so. I'm in no hurry to get a copy.

[quote name='Gojimaster']Should I keep waiting to buy this game? I have $35 in my amazon account already. How far do you guys think Portal 2 will drop? At this rate, I can see this game dropping down to less than $20 in 6 months or so. I'm in no hurry to get a copy.[/QUOTE]

It was already, "essentially", $35 on release day. $5 off promo + $20 amazon credit. Amazon does this all the time, reducing it by most if not all of its release day promos, eventually.

Can't say whether or not it will drop more, fast, but I personally doubt that it would get better than $35 for at least a few months.

[quote name='Gojimaster']Should I keep waiting to buy this game? I have $35 in my amazon account already. How far do you guys think Portal 2 will drop? At this rate, I can see this game dropping down to less than $20 in 6 months or so. I'm in no hurry to get a copy.[/QUOTE]
I'm going to wait, tho this price is very tempting.

[quote name='SpartenOmega117']don't know if i should feel bad or not for buying it for $43 from bestbuy yesterday.[/QUOTE]

Why don't you order from Amazon and return the Amazon copy to BB if you opened it?

[quote name='Rhett']It was already, "essentially", $35 on release day. $5 off promo + $20 amazon credit. Amazon does this all the time, reducing it by most if not all of its release day promos, eventually.

Can't say whether or not it will drop more, fast, but I personally doubt that it would get better than $35 for at least a few months.[/QUOTE]

If you purchased week 1 could've gotten it for $60 or $45 plus $10 pre-order bonus + $10 gc & by pm'ing now end up $35 + $10 gc + $10 credit "$15" on day 1. LA Noire will probably be the same thing just need the gc offer.

SpartenOmega117
just pm kmart & get the $8 + tax back

I was hoping Amazon would match Kmart. Thanks for posting OP.

This saves me a trip out to Kmart, plus I've got some Amazon credit ... woot!

[quote name='Enuf']If you purchased week 1 could've gotten it for $60 or $45 plus $10 pre-order bonus + $10 gc & by pm'ing now end up $35 + $10 gc + $10 credit "$15" on day 1. LA Noire will probably be the same thing just need the gc offer.

SpartenOmega117
just pm kmart & get the $8 + tax back[/QUOTE]
there are no kmarts in the dallas, tx area unfortunately.the closest one is $154 miles. Should i try anyways?

[quote name='HeSaveDave']So, besides 2 player co-op there no other multiplayer? Thank kinda sucks.[/QUOTE]

It's not really a game that lends itself to traditional multiplayer. The big draw of the both of these games is the single player story.

I think the co-op story is just about as compelling. I love needing to work with someone, and the writing is still phenomenal in it. Plus, there are many ways to play it. My first time through we were serious and trying to enjoy the dialog and figure out the puzzles. My next time through, I just want to mess around and screw with each other. Throw in some DLC co-op stuff, and it at least has some multiplayer replayability.

[quote name='HeSaveDave']So, besides 2 player co-op there no other multiplayer? Thank kinda sucks.[/QUOTE]

Generally for most games, multiplayer kinda sucks.

[quote name='mywhitenoise']Generally for most games, multiplayer kinda sucks.[/QUOTE]

And say what you want to about CoD, Halo, Gears, etc. They generally do it right. They don't appeal to everyone (and apparently no one on message boards), but there's a reason they are so popular. I'm not a huge PC fan, I do play some, but you can tell the MP is better on PC.

As far as co-op though, you can't beat XBL/PSN or couch versus a PC, in my opinion at least.

Does the steam code in the PS3 version ever expire? The Battlefield 1943 code in the BF:BC 2 Ultimate had an expiration date. I just want to know if I can wait til BF.

Do Amazon DOTDs ever run long, or will this be back to $59.99 at 12 a.m. PST? Expecting trade credit to appear in my account tomorrow.

[quote name='Naruto Uzumaki']Can someone use "Helping Hand" and mail me a Kmart ad?

I have a Wal-Mart Gift card I need to use and they're really picky on their "price match guarantee".
Please PM me if you can, thanks.[/QUOTE]

Yeah, printing the ad from Kmart's website isn't going to get you anywhere as I tried that. Luckily, I found a flyer somewhere.

And if there are no Kmarts in your area (which I am assuming is true since you don't have any flyers available in your newspaper), I'm sorry, but your Walmart will not honor the ad because Kmart isn't in their market. And the competitor has to be in their market in order for them to honor their "ad match guarantee".

[quote name='hle078']whats the deal with portal 2? does the game suck? i feel like every retailer has it for less than $40 these days and it just came out! this is why i never buy games on release[/QUOTE]

It has a short single player campaign about ~10 hours, but hey, at least it is longer than Call of Duty 10's campaign and is a better game overall.

[quote name='gbpackers94']So should I get the PS3 or 360 version?[/QUOTE]

Ps3.

Valve more or less said it was the better version. Plus ps3 and pc players can play together and when you buy the ps3 version you can tie it to your steam account and get the pc version of it for free.

I was holding off for a slightly cheaper price to get the ps3 version and today amazon hit that price so I ordered one when they restocked it.

[quote name='mr_bungle']And say what you want to about CoD, Halo, Gears, etc. They generally do it right. They don't appeal to everyone (and apparently no one on message boards), but there's a reason they are so popular.[/QUOTE]

Its all just opinion. Me personally, those games are mediocre at best. The online for them all is the same aside from some gameplay modes. They arent even good single player games as they appeal to the lowest common denominator by trying to appeal purposely to the largest gaming audience which is younger males. And they all obviously do it well because they are all basically a young boys idea of what mature and cool is. Im not saying they are for me and I do like popular games, just not ones that are popular strictly because its what is cool to be playing.

And everyone on messages boards are lying. Everytime one comes out you get a lot saying they hate it, dont want it blah blah blah but the games still sell better than a triple cunted hooker at a naval base when the fleet is in. So obviously more than the few on boards are buying it. They want people to think they are cool so they buy the call of duty and play it online because its what everyone does, then they get on forums and post about what shit it is because its also the cool thing to do.

Seeing how there is absolutely no benefit to owning the Xbox 360 version (bar the temporary exclusivity to online gameplay), go with the PS3 version.

I bought the PS3 version specifically for the PC version since I do not have a PS3, but a friend of mine does.

Well, I'll probably get flamed for it, but the safe bet is the 360 version. I don't believe that there is an expected date for when PSN will be back up, and since the single-player is kind of short, I'd go 360. Co-op is awesome, and the best of the new additions. Missing out on it would kind of suck.

However, you do get a PC copy with the PS3 version, so take that into account.

[quote name='Mr Dude65']I don't believe that there is an expected date for when PSN will be back up[/QUOTE]

Just because it is down now doesn't mean it will be down indefinitely. That's a very short-sighted way of looking at things.

Also, Sony is giving all PSN users a free month of PSN Plus as compensation.

[quote name='Nintendonly']Just because it is down now doesn't mean it will be down indefinitely. That's a very short-sighted way of looking at things.

Also, Sony is giving all PSN users a free month of PSN Plus as compensation.[/QUOTE]

That's not what I meant. Sorry for the confusion. I just meant that it could be another month before PSN is working, and 30 days is quite a long time to miss out on online play for something. I mean, think of most games that don't follow the FPS formula for online. Most acquire a small following, but they won't have the same amount of traffic and buzz two months after launch as they did two weeks after. That's all I'm saying. Not like "Well, they haven't said anything, so it must be down forever. Consider yourself lucky if you get it back." Give your fellow gamers some credit. Not all of us on this site are idiots, you know;)

[quote name='Mr Dude65']Well, I'll probably get flamed for it, but the safe bet is the 360 version. I don't believe that there is an expected date for when PSN will be back up, and since the single-player is kind of short, I'd go 360. Co-op is awesome, and the best of the new additions. Missing out on it would kind of suck.

However, you do get a PC copy with the PS3 version, so take that into account.[/QUOTE]

Sony has stated that much of PSN will be up and running this week, though some portions may not be up until later in the month. I believe one of the portions that is supposed to be back up Tuesday or Wednesday is online play, so grabbing the PS3 version now and having it shipped isn't going to delay any co-op play (as long as Sony isn't wrong of course).

[quote name='GaveUpTomorrow']Sony has stated that much of PSN will be up and running this week, though some portions may not be up until later in the month. I believe one of the portions that is supposed to be back up Tuesday or Wednesday is online play, so grabbing the PS3 version now and having it shipped isn't going to delay any co-op play (as long as Sony isn't wrong of course).[/QUOTE]

Well okay then! If that is the case, go with the PS3 version! Thanks for posting this, as I had no idea when it was going to be back up.

[quote name='gargus']Ps3.

Valve more or less said it was the better version. Plus ps3 and pc players can play together and when you buy the ps3 version you can tie it to your steam account and get the pc version of it for free.[/QUOTE]

so-since i bought the ps3 version, can I link it to my brother's steam account, he can get the free copy and we can play together?

Don't be like me. The local Kmart didn't have Portal 2 PS3 in stock. In the store, I thought to myself, "Self; check Amazon when you get home. Maybe they'll price match."

Did I remember to do that? Of course not. Completely forgot and dutifully ordered it through Kmart's website.

Total cost for my forgetfulllness: $4.50, and what little Cheap Ass Gamer cred I had.

Oh, well. I'll just think to myself that the PS3 portion was 34.99 and the Steam version was $4.50.

A side note to my Kmart story above is that while in the store, I grabbed a circular for this week. It lists Portal 2 for Xbox 360 at $34.99, with matching appropriate box cover. In small type underneath, it reads "Playstation 3 also available." We were on our way to Target, so I figured I'd try the price matching game.

Short story: the manager at Target wouldn't price match for PS3 since the circular didn't specifically say "PS3 version for $34.99." In a ruling that would make Hermes Conrad proud, they technically had know of knowing what the actual Kmart PS3 price was.

In retrospect, I had a couple of options available, including buying the Xbox version and then immediately returning it for a PS3 version. At the end of the day, it wasn't worth my time to work around Target's rules over the dollar or so I'd be saving.

I'm pissed off the semantic bullshit of it all. I get that she was following orders, but so much for the customer always being right. Is this common with price matching at big box store?

Moral of the story: ALWAYS check Amazon first.

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='JaylisJayP']Just got this for $10 plus tax at Kmart with the coupon. Deal of the year.[/QUOTE]

What coupon?

[quote name='Gojimaster']What coupon?[/QUOTE]

there is no coupon. he's one of those people who like to report prices post their own personal coupons / gift cards and confuses the hell out of others.

bread's done
Back