Portal 2 (PS3/360) $34.99 (PC) $29.99 - Amazon (still-ongoing from 04/30/11 DOTD)

[quote name='confoosious']there is no coupon. he's one of those people who like to report prices post their own personal coupons / gift cards and confuses the hell out of others.[/QUOTE]

Oh Ok, it would be nice if they stated it as such

[quote name='mattand']Is this common with price matching at big box store? Moral of the story: ALWAYS check Amazon first.[/QUOTE]
LOL, you went thru alot of effort

Unless you have credit at a specific place, far distance to a store or sales tax is too high you could use my strategy & get consistantly better deals than even amazon. Look at several recent hot amazon threads for recently released games like Crysis 2, MK & Portal 2. I got all these on release week w/$20 in credit & the same places amazon matched I will match to get the $20-$35 back but I still have the credit.
Crysis 2 $40 + $20 credit or Crysis 2 $40
Portal 2 $35 + $20 credit or Portal 2 $35
MK $30 + $20 credit or MK $40

LA Noire is the next game maybe Brink too they both have $10 credits now I just hope there's a $10 giftcard added. Even if the gc isn't included the end result will wind up being $40 + $10 credit & every 4 game you'll get another $10 credit.

[quote name='CrimsonPaw']Grabbed a PS3 version, this game was NOT on my new release radar, but at that price and the rave reviews I couldn't pass it up.[/QUOTE]yeah same here still waiting on Crysis 2 to come in and I just got MK

[quote name='ral1121']So what delivery date did you guys get if you have a Prime Account?[/QUOTE]

May 4th

In for 1 on the :ps3:. Planning on getting the trophies, redeeming the PC/MAC Steam version (hopefully PSN will be back up by then!), and then trading it in for $28 Amazon credit.

A Steam copy for $7 after some work is cheap enough for me! :D

[quote name='ragingst0rm6']In for 1 on the :ps3:. Planning on getting the trophies, redeeming the PC/MAC Steam version (hopefully PSN will be back up by then!), and then trading it in for $28 Amazon credit.

A Steam copy for $7 after some work is cheap enough for me! :D[/QUOTE]

Is that really how it works out???

is it really a free copy of the PC version on the PS3?

[quote name='Enuf']LOL, you went thru alot of effort

Unless you have credit at a specific place, far distance to a store or sales tax is too high you could use my strategy & get consistantly better deals than even amazon. Look at several recent hot amazon threads for recently released games like Crysis 2, MK & Portal 2. I got all these on release week w/$20 in credit & the same places amazon matched I will match to get the $20-$35 back but I still have the credit.

LA Noire is the next game maybe Brink too they both have $10 credits now I just hope there's a $10 giftcard added. Even if the gc isn't included the end result will wind up being $40 + $10 credit & every 4 game you'll get another $10 credit.[/QUOTE]

hmm in other words,
you purchase from Amazon (as a preorder)
Portal 2 at $55 with $20 credit
Get a post-purchase pricematch to $35

Portal 2 $35 + $20 credit?

[quote name='ragingst0rm6']In for 1 on the :ps3:. Planning on getting the trophies, redeeming the PC/MAC Steam version (hopefully PSN will be back up by then!), and then trading it in for $28 Amazon credit.

A Steam copy for $7 after some work is cheap enough for me! :D[/QUOTE]

[quote name='ral1121']Is that really how it works out???

is it really a free copy of the PC version on the PS3?[/QUOTE]

I'm 99.9% sure this will work. If I recall correctly, all :ps3: copies of Portal 2 include a download voucher for the PC/MAC version (if someone already bought a :ps3: copy from Amazon, please confirm). You'll need to link your PSN account to your Steam account, input the code, and you should be good to go!

[quote name='confoosious']there is no coupon. he's one of those people who like to report prices post their own personal coupons / gift cards and confuses the hell out of others.[/QUOTE]

Yeah, I'm not one of those people. But you ARE one of those people that just assumes things without knowing what's going on.

So....yeah...you FAIL.

$10...plus tax....with COUPON.

1z1zsjb.jpg

[quote name='confoosious']yeah, it's really stupid but what can you do.[/QUOTE]

yeah, it is really stupid when people don't know what they're talking about, isn't it.

pwned

[quote name='confoosious']damn, why didn't you mention this before. that's a hell of a deal.

edit: wait, is that coupon real?[/QUOTE]

Its obviously a totally FAKE coupon, you can see where someone photoshopped the portal 2 cover art onto the coupon. The Black line above the cover art goes up, as if they just copy pasted a cover art picture onto the coupon.

So to you dude who posted that coupon, GTFO.

[quote name='SCDallas']Yeah that coupon looks..... weird. I doubt any retailer would accept that. I could also be VERY wrong though.........[/QUOTE]

it is surprising that nobody else has mentioned such a hot coupon. only google mention of it is on some foreign travel site. (where someone said walmart told them it was fake.)

I don't mind being wrong but that coupon looks shady.

[quote name='ragingst0rm6']I'm 99.9% sure this will work. If I recall correctly, all :ps3: copies of Portal 2 include a download voucher for the PC/MAC version (if someone already bought a :ps3: copy from Amazon, please confirm). You'll need to link your PSN account to your Steam account, input the code, and you should be good to go![/QUOTE]
This is how it will work when PSN goes back up. I wish I would've locked in the 32.00 trade in value a few days ago.

I just locked in at the $28 trade in value -- I snagged a copy of the PS3 version and will just keep the PC code and send back the console version to Amazon -- PC version for $7 is a deal!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Enuf
LOL, you went thru alot of effort

LA Noire is the next game maybe Brink too they both have $10 credits now I just hope there's a $10 giftcard added. Even if the gc isn't included the end result will wind up being $40 + $10 credit & every 4 game you'll get another $10 credit.

hmm in other words,

Portal 2 $35 + $20 credit?

test

[quote name='wilflare']hmm in other words,

Portal 2 $35 + $20 credit?[/QUOTE]

I understood everthing till that last bit about post-purchase pricematch. Can someone clarify what he did? thx ;)

[quote name='wox']I understood everthing till that last bit about post-purchase pricematch. Can someone clarify what he did? thx ;)[/QUOTE]

yeap. hoping for clarification too.
Amazon does not have a post-purchase pricematch policy

[quote name='Enuf']LOL, you went thru alot of effort[/QUOTE]

Nah, it wasn't that bad. We were out and about shopping for other things, and both stores were on our itinerary. I got irritated enough with the woman at Target, I got off my game and forgot about checking Amazon.

I appreciate everyone's feedback. This is the first time I've ever tried to PM, and more than likely it's the last. I'll just stick with online deals.

I'd pre-ordered two copies, a PS3 for me and a 360 for a friend on launch. Got $20 credits that came with each. Today when I saw the price drop, I thought I'd give it a go and see if they'd retroactively adjust the price for me to today's price. I know it's against their written policy, but I buy enough at Amazon that I figured it might be worth a quick call.

Four minutes later, this is in my email:
35857d0.png

Rounds out to two copies of Portal 2 for $30 total:)
Thanks amazon. This is why I stick with them, they take care of you. Before anyone flames me for double-dipping or what have you, I'd initially been going for a refund of the price difference, but my Amazon Credit Card is temporarily cancelled thanks to the PSN debacle. This was their offer.

I wish I'd had personal access to get back and report this to you guys sooner.

I purchased from Bestbuy the $20 credit = $10 giftcard + $10 pre-order credit, RZ silver members have a 45 day return/exchange/price match window. By the time I add in the RZ points, gamers points & the 25% bonus points this outweighed the no tax benefit of amazon + I get the game on the spot.

[quote name='WormFOODx']I sent an email to Amazon and they price corrected my launch day pre-order to the $35. Still have the $20 credit too![/QUOTE]

did they give you credits or a refund?

Well, hey, if everyone else is writing in I decided I might as well too ;).

FWIW, the DotD pricing seems to be sticking here on the following day as well. I guess they really are matching the week-long Kmart deal.

I got a retroactive price match, so thanks for everyone posting. It was in the form of additional credit, but they threw another $25 in addition to the $20 that I received for the preorder. $45 in credit for a $55 game is not bad.

[quote name='WormFOODx']I sent an email to Amazon and they price corrected my launch day pre-order to the $35. Still have the $20 credit too![/QUOTE]

That's awesome for you guys but they didn't do it for me for some reason. I wasn't rude or anything, but after 3 messages of them saying no I told I wasn't pre-ordering anymore.

[quote name='ral1121']Is that really how it works out???

is it really a free copy of the PC version on the PS3?[/QUOTE]

How fucking hard is it for people to understand this? Christ.

[quote name='DeathDream']I don't pre-order/order on release because price drops so quickly after release. Everyone should know that by now.[/QUOTE]

For some reason, I thought Valve games would be immune...this was the only game I was going to pay full price for this year and this is what happens. Never again I say!

[quote name='Glomerate']For some reason, I thought Valve games would be immune...this was the only game I was going to pay full price for this year and this is what happens. Never again I say![/QUOTE]

A game that is about 8 hours in length is immune to price drops?

[quote name='Glomerate']That's awesome for you guys but they didn't do it for me for some reason. I wasn't rude or anything, but after 3 messages of them saying no I told I wasn't pre-ordering anymore.[/QUOTE]

You should have been at least a little rude. I verbally owned my amazon rep.

[quote name='Nintendonly']A game that is about 8 hours in length is immune to price drops?[/QUOTE]

Within the first 2 weeks, yeah.

[quote name='wilflare']did they give you credits or a refund?[/QUOTE]

I was given a refund to my credit card. Either way would have been nice, they chose the credit card.

Then if you were like me it went a little more like this...
Portal 2 PS3 at $55 with a $20 credit
Got a post-purchase pricematch to $35
Traded in game to Gamestop for $26 and kept the PC activated copy
Total - Portal 2 for PC for $9 plus $20 credit

Hey Guys,

I know this thread deals with the Amazon listing for PORTAL 2 but I thought I should mention a deal I stumbled across yesterday... for which I only paid $13.16 for an Xbox 360 copy of PORTAL 2.

Right now, K-Mart has PORTAL 2 for $34.99 (like Amazon)... but then there is a $25 Off manufacturer's Coupon floating about, which I found in this thread...

http://board.spawn.com/forums/showthread.php?t=582170

My K-Mart was OOS, but I went over to Wal-Mart, PM'd their price and then used the coupon... $10.00 + tax at the end of it all. Good luck!

[quote name='Ianscloset']Hey Guys,

I know this thread deals with the Amazon listing for PORTAL 2 but I thought I should mention a deal I stumbled across yesterday... for which I only paid $13.16 for an Xbox 360 copy of PORTAL 2.

Right now, K-Mart has PORTAL 2 for $34.99 (like Amazon)... but then there is a $25 Off manufacturer's Coupon floating about, which I found in this thread...

My K-Mart was OOS, but I went over to Wal-Mart, PM'd their price and then used the coupon... $10.00 + tax at the end of it all. Good luck![/QUOTE]

Oh wow. That is an awesome coupon..I ordered from AZ but I may have to run to Kmart.

[quote name='Ianscloset']Hey Guys,

My K-Mart was OOS, but I went over to Wal-Mart, PM'd their price and then used the coupon... $10.00 + tax at the end of it all. Good luck![/QUOTE]

noob question but can you use it at Gamestop?

bread's done
Back