Portal 2 (PS3/360) $34.99 (PC) $29.99 - Amazon (still-ongoing from 04/30/11 DOTD)

[quote name='Ianscloset']Hey Guys,

I know this thread deals with the Amazon listing for PORTAL 2 but I thought I should mention a deal I stumbled across yesterday... for which I only paid $13.16 for an Xbox 360 copy of PORTAL 2.

Right now, K-Mart has PORTAL 2 for $34.99 (like Amazon)... but then there is a $25 Off manufacturer's Coupon floating about, which I found in this thread...

http://board.spawn.com/forums/showthread.php?t=582170

My K-Mart was OOS, but I went over to Wal-Mart, PM'd their price and then used the coupon... $10.00 + tax at the end of it all. Good luck![/QUOTE]

Will Wal-Mart or Gamestop price match from an internet listing or do I need a physical copy of the K-Mart ad?

[quote name='Ianscloset']Hey Guys,

I know this thread deals with the Amazon listing for PORTAL 2 but I thought I should mention a deal I stumbled across yesterday... for which I only paid $13.16 for an Xbox 360 copy of PORTAL 2.

Right now, K-Mart has PORTAL 2 for $34.99 (like Amazon)... but then there is a $25 Off manufacturer's Coupon floating about, which I found in this thread...

http://board.spawn.com/forums/showthread.php?t=582170

My K-Mart was OOS, but I went over to Wal-Mart, PM'd their price and then used the coupon... $10.00 + tax at the end of it all. Good luck![/QUOTE]

Any idea where this coupon is from? It looks almost too good to be true. I'm going to check my K-Marts after work. If this pans out, I owe you a beer.

[quote name='kellte2']I got a retroactive price match, so thanks for everyone posting. It was in the form of additional credit, but they threw another $25 in addition to the $20 that I received for the preorder. $45 in credit for a $55 game is not bad.[/QUOTE]

[quote name='Glomerate']That's awesome for you guys but they didn't do it for me for some reason. I wasn't rude or anything, but after 3 messages of them saying no I told I wasn't pre-ordering anymore.[/QUOTE]

Yeah, no luck for me either. I just contacted them via email. But since my original $20 preorder credit didn't apply and I had to pester them for it they had applied a $20 generic promo credit to this order already. So when the CS rep looked into my order again yesterday they saw I was already issued a $20 credit and said that was for the $55 to $35 price drop (even though it was the preorder credit). So for all you lucky bastards who had the $20 promo credit auto-apply from your preorder (for some reason mine didn't auto apply), they wouldn't see this and I guess they issued you, in effect, a second preorder bonus.

I wouldn't mind this price drop at all since it is effectively what the preorder price + promo was EXCEPT for the fact that they are giving so many others who preordered an additional $20 (and in some cases more) credit. That kind of pisses me off because it is not universal.

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='io']Yeha. no luck for me either. I just contacted them via email. But since my original $20 preorder credit didn't apply and I had to pester them for it they had applied a $20 generic promo credit to this order already. So when the CS rep looked into my order again yesterday they saw I was already issued a $20 credit and said that was for the $55 to $35 price drop (even though it was the preorder credit). So for all you lucky bastards who had the $20 promo credit auto-apply from your preorder (for some reason mine didn't auto apply), they wouldn't see this and I guess they issued you, in effect, a second preorder bonus.

I wouldn't mind this price drop at all since it is effectively what the preorder price + promo was EXCEPT for the fact that they are giving so many others who preordered an additional $20 (and in some cases more) credit. That kind of pisses me off because it is not universal.[/QUOTE]

Indeed. I did chat support which was as good as a black hole. I called afterward, but the chat is logged immediately, so the phone csr read through my entire log. I did get a compromise of $10 credit though.

[quote name='io']Yeha. no luck for me either. I just contacted them via email. But since my original $20 preorder credit didn't apply and I had to pester them for it they had applied a $20 generic promo credit to this order already. So when the CS rep looked into my order again yesterday they saw I was already issued a $20 credit and said that was for the $55 to $35 price drop (even though it was the preorder credit). So for all you lucky bastards who had the $20 promo credit auto-apply from your preorder (for some reason mine didn't auto apply), they wouldn't see this and I guess they issued you, in effect, a second preorder bonus.

I wouldn't mind this price drop at all since it is effectively what the preorder price + promo was EXCEPT for the fact that they are giving so many others who preordered an additional $20 (and in some cases more) credit. That kind of pisses me off because it is not universal.[/QUOTE]

Yeah, agreed. Seems really lame that they're taking exceptions for this for certain people but not us.

[quote name='outphase']Indeed. I did chat support which was as good as a black hole. I called afterward, but the chat is logged immediately, so the phone csr read through my entire log. I did get a compromise of $10 credit though.[/QUOTE]

i chatted with a rep too. I even told them that my friend was able to get a 20 dollars back from the preorder this morning. He/she wouldnt let me get a refund/credit

It's not - I deleted the post with the super-long video (5 minutes, WTF!?) going on about the coupon. I didn't watch it, actually, but it seems this coupon is a very sophisticated fake. You can find it elsewhere if you want to look into that yourself - but it is not allowed on CAG. Just be thankful I got here before Shrike ;).

[quote name='outphase']That $25 off coupon doesn't seem legit for some reason.[/QUOTE]

That's what I thought too, but then I just said what the hell it's worth a shot. The cashier actually went to the back of the store, but he came back and checked me out fine.

[quote name='io']It's not - I deleted the post with the super-long video (5 minutes, WTF!?) going on about the coupon. I didn't watch it, actually, but it seems this coupon is a very sophisticated fake. You can find it elsewhere if you want to look into that yourself - but it is not allowed on CAG. Just be thankful I got here before Shrike ;).[/QUOTE]Some people need to stop using my name in vain. ;)

Time for some OP updates, methinks.

[quote name='RugerRellP89']That's what I thought too, but then I just said what the hell it's worth a shot. The cashier actually went to the back of the store, but he came back and checked me out fine.[/QUOTE]Good job in defrauding KMart by accident. Gold star for you. :applause:

[quote name='shrike4242']Some people need to stop using my name in vain. ;)

Time for some OP updates, methinks.

Good job in defrauding KMart by accident. Gold star for you. :applause:[/QUOTE]

Well if it is fake then maybe it was just the cashier that I got. I wonder why he went to the back of the store then?

Really glad this DOTD ran over! My trade-in credit popped in my account this morning so I snagged a copy, thanks OP.

I wasn't able to get amazon to price adjust from the $55 i bought it for. Man, their customer service is pretty hit and miss.

[quote name='ironman206']I wasn't able to get amazon to price adjust from the $55 i bought it for. Man, their customer service is pretty hit and miss.[/QUOTE]

Did you get the $15 promo credit with your order?

As I said, very hit or miss with Amazon CS. Here's their response to my follow-up (where I said the original $20 I got credited was for the preorder bonus and not for the price drop):

Thanks for contacting us about the recent price change on the item. I recognize you have a choice of retailers and appreciate that you prefer to order from us. Unfortunately, we do not have a post-order price guarantee.

I've reviewed your order and see that the price change is significant from the time the item shipped.

Under the circumstances, I'll make a one time exception for you and issue a refund for the price difference in the amount of $20.00 to your gift card balance. You'll see the refund in your account balance in 2-3 business days.

It is true enough that they do not have a post-price guarantee and in fact they have been strict about this in the past (when they first got rid of their price adjustment policy). But since so many other people got the $20 (or more) with no problem, I figured I'd punt it back to them again - paid off I guess. I'd really rather it not be so YMMV though - had they just blanket denied them across the board I'd have been fine with that.

It also remains to be seen if I actually get the $20 credit refund. I've been told that before and it never happened until I contacted them yet again...

[quote name='ironman206']I wasn't able to get amazon to price adjust from the $55 i bought it for. Man, their customer service is pretty hit and miss.[/QUOTE]

Well, besides the actual rep, there are other factors that are considered: The primary one being is how many concessions (partial refunds, "one-time" exceptions, promo added by CS) are recorded to the account. I'm guessing they also see the order volume and figure out your value as a customer. From there a decision will be made. Granted, this doesn't happen too often, but I'm pretty damn sure they keep track of everything that happens on the account.

For most people this isn't an issue, but the habitual "complainers" do get eventually spotted.

^^ Which is why I don't like having to do this. They've had to give me several make-up credits for their trade-in program (when the third-party trade-in partner destroyed my games or rejected them for no apparent reason). Plus my original $20 preorder credit had to be applied as an "exception" since it didn't work as it was supposed to. I'm sure my file is full of notations - on the other hand, I do buy a lot (much more than video games). I'm a cheapass complainer on the video game stuff but not so much on the other items and they are much bigger purchases usually.

[quote name='io']^^ Which is why I don't like having to do this. They've had to give me several make-up credits for their trade-in program (when the third-party trade-in partner destroyed my games or rejected them for no apparent reason). Plus my original $20 preorder credit had to be applied as an "exception" since it didn't work as it was supposed to. I'm sure my file is full of notations - on the other hand, I do buy a lot (much more than video games). I'm a cheapass complainer on the video game stuff but not so much on the other items and they are much bigger purchases usually.[/QUOTE]

Exactly. I am saving my concessions for when I really need them such as with trades and when orders go wrong. But since Amazon gave me 20 bucks and 5 bucks off the price, I kept my mouth shut :whistle2:#

oh bummer, it's $58 for the 360 version, can't price adjust i guess

i was late

edit- oh thats weird lol, unless you click it, it turns to $35 haha

trying now

[quote name='theking20']oh bummer, it's $58 for the 360 version, can't price adjust i guess

i was late[/QUOTE]

You should be able to still. Click on the "new" link and amazon should be in there. It's just backordered.

Lol. They really shouldn't give you an extra $20. You got the $20 preorder credit. Now they're dropping the price. The preorder credit compensates for the drop. So now you're basically trying to get the game off them for $15 when you got it on release day. It's pretty obvious that if they thought people who preordered would have asked if they could get a $20 price adjustment credit, then they likely would have been much more strict about it. But half the blame goes to Amazon CS

Don't get me wrong though, I've had my fair share of my one time exceptions lol. But this is just a very significant amount of abuse :p If I knew I could have got the game for $15, you bet I would have got one from Amazon to flip and kept my BBY copy (which I did keep BTW)

meh, i got rejected twice because its $54 from "media&more" on the main page to buy Portal 2, i tried to tell them to go check the new tab but they struggle, will try once again haha

Most of you are probably one large Amazon customer service management system upgrade away from getting blacklisted.

[quote name='Stele']Most of you are probably one large Amazon customer service management system upgrade away from getting blacklisted.[/QUOTE]

Did Amazon ever bother explaining itself from the last mass banning? Crazy times lol.

that thread is hilarious.

Seems amazon doesn't care whether it's packaging or Ups or whatever. You return too many items and they ditch you. I can't blame them really.

And people with multiple accounts exploiting limits? F em.

Well, when you have hundred of millions of accounts, you rely on your IT systems to identify problem customers. If they have to throw out a few babies with the bathwater, I don't think it really impacts their bottom line at all.

that thread is pretty old though, I am not sure they still ban people in mass like that. still, I try not to hit up amazon too much for adjustments when its pretty minor for fear of the ban hammer

[quote name='caltab']that thread is pretty old though, I am not sure they still ban people in mass like that. still, I try not to hit up amazon too much for adjustments when its pretty minor for fear of the ban hammer[/QUOTE]

I'm the same way. I mean, if they sent me something damaged, I'll return it. But I know lots of CAGs like to call up and harass CSRS for a $2 adjustment. That $2 won't be worth it when you can't order from amazon anyone for life.

Thank you, I honestly believed for a deal like this on a brand-new game, that it would be on the front page. Thank you for understanding though.

welcome-back-chalkboard-sign400.gif

[quote name='ral1121']Great game, although i dont get stuck at all maybe once or twice,

not as much as i did in the first Portal.[/QUOTE]

Soooo... you did get stuck? ;)

ive gotten stuck twice but only in co-op-but im playing with my 9 year old nephew.

so im the brains of the outfit--but im not gonna lie ive gotten stuck the most for about 35 minutes and that was yesterday--was getting impatient-like wtf-this was in chapter 4

and i was like fuck this-this is b.s was about to call it quits-kid was bored and i was getting pissed-----and then i thought wait i got it--and yup it all worked out.

seems like when im about to quit is when i figure things out on both occasions.

got it for the ps3 so i have to play with my nephew as hes the only one interested in playing the game with me and the psn is down.

bread's done
Back