Portal 2 (PS3) to include PC version (on Steam) FREE -- $54.99 at Amazon

KhrevalBruuk

CAGiversary!
Feedback
5 (100%)
This is on both Kotaku and Joystiq: Valve announces that the PS3 version of Portal 2 will feature "full cross-platform compatibility: PS3 users can chat with Steam users, play multiplayer with them and even partake in cloud-based storage. The disparity between the PS3 and PC/Mac versions appears to be about non-existent now."

"If you play Portal 2 on PS3, you can play with people on a PC. Neat! And to make sure as many people as possible are doing just that, the PS3 version of the game will include the PC version.

"All players have to do once they get the game is link their PlayStation Network and Steam accounts. Once that's done, they'll have a Steam Play (so, PC and/or Mac) version of the game ready to download in their library list."

Amazon has Portal 2 :ps3: for $54.99 as I write this: http://www.amazon.com/Portal-2-Playstation-3/dp/B003O6E3C8?tag=cheapassgam08-20
To be fair, it appears that all retail purchases of the PS3 version quality -- not just simply those sold through Amazon. They just have the best pre-order price right now.

Valve's press release:
PORTAL 2 PLAYSTATION 3 STEAM FEATURES REVEALED

January 18, 2011 -- Valve, creators of best-selling game franchises (such as Half-Life and Counter-Strike) and leading technologies (such as Steam and Source), today announced the Steam features shipping with the PlayStation 3 (PS3) version of Portal 2.

Marking the debut of Steam functioning on any next generation console, the features shipping in the PS3 version of Portal 2 include cross platform play (PC/Mac vs. PS3) for multiplayer games, persistent cloud-based storage of PS3 saved games, and cross platform chat (PC/Mac and PS3).

In addition, those who purchase Portal 2 for the PlayStation 3 may unlock a Steam Play (PC & Mac) copy of Portal 2 at no additional cost by linking their PSN and Steam accounts.

"We made a promise to gamers at E3 that Portal 2 for the PlayStation 3 would be the best console version of the product," said Gabe Newell, co-founder and president of Valve. "Working together with Sony we have identified a set of features we believe are very compelling to gamers. We hope to expand upon the foundation being laid in Portal 2 with more Steam features and functionality in DLC and future content releases."

"We designed the Portal 2 PS3 experience to be very straightforward for gamers," said Josh Weier, project lead on Portal 2 at Valve. "PS3 gamers will be able to simply drop the Blu-Ray disc in the PS3, link to their Steam account from inside the game, and all their Steam friends (on PC and Mac) will be visible and accessible for chat and game invites."

These features are made possible thru the use of Steam, Valve's platform for the delivery and management of games and digital content.

Portal 2 is due for release on the PlayStation 3, PC, Mac and Xbox 360 this April.

For more information, please visit www.thinkingwithportals.com

Last edited by a moderator:
Holy... I was gonna get the PC version but now it would be pointless to not get the PS3 version.... I love Valve. Ever since I discovered Steam, I've grown to love Valve more than any other dev out there. They know how to treat their community.

[quote name='dallow']Much respect to LottaGames.

Masterful job.[/QUOTE]
i had my doubts of him being a troll a pages back

Thing is,
i only see this kind of idiocy in 4chan and it's considered trawlawn cause they are a bunch of immature bastards.

However, seeing this type of material here makes me unease
at this level, calling him a troll sounds nicer and better because he has gone beyond the idiot title to the point that i can call him mentally challenged.

Awesome move by Valve and Sony. Was just gonna get it on Steam but now I'll pick up the PS3 version with the PC voucher. If Valve were to put the original Portal on the PS3 copies and if Amazon does a gift card deal this will be spectacular.

[quote name='cRodz']i had my doubts of him being a troll a pages back

Thing is,
i only see this kind of idiocy in 4chan and it's considered trawlawn cause they are a bunch of immature bastards.

However, seeing this type of material here makes me unease
at this level, calling him a troll sounds nicer and better because he has gone beyond the idiot title to the point that i can call him mentally challenged.[/QUOTE]

That's the best you can do? I think we've confirmed the only 'mentally challenged' people are those who use this flawed, nonworking software without caring about the damage to their PC's. This isn't the first time the majority is wrong, but they think they're right just because they're in a crowd. So whatever, your trolling makes me laugh.

[quote name='triforcer']yes that would be a problem but ps3 games don't use keys, so there's nothing stopping another PSN account from playing the ps3 copy. i plan on keeping both, originally was going to get the pc version, but its nice to have a physical copy.[/QUOTE]

If they really wanted to, they could force the PS3 version to use a key. Kinda like how Mass Effect has includes a Cerberus Network card in new copies that needs to be redeemed to unlock content. Only instead of being for a few small missions, it would be for the entire game. That way, it would act like a true Steam game...you can play it on any platform Steam has access to, but if you want to sell it, tough luck.

[quote name='triforcer']yes that would be a problem but ps3 games don't use keys, so there's nothing stopping another PSN account from playing the ps3 copy. i plan on keeping both, originally was going to get the pc version, but its nice to have a physical copy.[/QUOTE]

No, but this is Steamworks for the PS3 we are talking about and the whole reason why the PC version is being offered as a bonus and why Gabe is so happy with the PS3 open architecture. Their "online pass" Steam code could exclusively link to that PSN ID so that only one copy of Portal 2 is online at a time.

[quote name='Salamando3000']If they really wanted to, they could force the PS3 version to use a key. Kinda like how Mass Effect has includes a Cerberus Network card in new copies that needs to be redeemed to unlock content. Only instead of being for a few small missions, it would be for the entire game. That way, it would act like a true Steam game...you can play it on any platform Steam has access to, but if you want to sell it, tough luck.[/QUOTE]

i can see them doing that for the co-op portion, but not the whole game. i hate both ideas, but if it starts a steamplay-like trend of being able to play on multiplatforms from buying one copy, i can get behind that.

[quote name='technole']No, but this is Steamworks for the PS3 we are talking about and the whole reason why the PC version is being offered as a bonus and why Gabe is so happy with the PS3 open architecture. Their "online pass" Steam code could exclusively link to that PSN ID so that only one copy of Portal 2 is online at a time.[/QUOTE]
i get that, but that's only if valve makes the co-op portion or even the whole game associated with a key. if valve doesn't do that, then the game disc itself can't be locked to a psn account.

wow, valve really changed their tone about ps3. I'm kind of split on this, i JUST bought a brand new gaming PC and was planning on playing portal 2 on PC, but most of my friends play everything on 360, so co-op there would be more people on there. Probably will just end up with the steam version or get the ps3 version.

i like where this is going though.

why does valve favour the ps3 so much now? seemed like they were strictly xbox and at the e3 press confrence it seemed like they just slamed xbox and praised ps3? why the sudden change of opinion?

[quote name='jab1235']why does valve favour the ps3 so much now? seemed like they were strictly xbox and at the e3 press confrence it seemed like they just slamed xbox and praised ps3? why the sudden change of opinion?[/QUOTE]

sony let valve use steam on the ps3.

[quote name='triforcer']sony let valve use steam on the ps3.[/QUOTE]

Yeah, I feel like Valve is doing this in spite because of the difficulties they had with updates for TF2 for the 360, from Microsoft making them charge for updates, to the bureaucracy of such a closed and managed platform. It sounds like they made it their mission to show people the benefits of a more "open" platform.

The ps3 isn't necessarily open obviously but they definitely aren't as closed off as the 360.

[quote name='jollydwarf']They need to do a Kevin Butler commercial where at the end it says "It Only Does Gabe Newell Redemptions."[/QUOTE]

How awesome would it be if Gabe was in the Kevin Butler Portal 2 commercial!?!?!?! :bouncy::bouncy::bouncy:

Awesome. Wow, I was planning on purchasing the PC version, but this just changed my mind. $5 more to get another version of the game. Why not?
Props to Valve.

[quote name='basilofbkrst']How awesome would it be if Gabe was in the Kevin Butler Portal 2 commercial!?!?!?! :bouncy::bouncy::bouncy:[/QUOTE]

How awesome would it be to be able to play Steam games on the PS3.

[quote name='jab1235']why does valve favour the ps3 so much now? seemed like they were strictly xbox and at the e3 press confrence it seemed like they just slamed xbox and praised ps3? why the sudden change of opinion?[/QUOTE]

They aren't trying to give the PS3 special treatment. Gabe said they would do this on both consoles if they could, but Microsoft won't allow it.

In a sense, it's actually Microsoft giving Sony the special treatment, by not taking advantage of it for themselves as well. Oh, the irony.

Sorry to resurrect an old thread and I know this was discussed but wonder if there is any new info. I'm assuming that the free copy of portal 2 on pc will be a one time use thing.

However, has anyone heard if the disc will be usable without this code? I read that the game requires steam for multiplayer this may be required. I like the possibility of buying the ps3 copy so I can play on PC and lending the ps3 one out to a friend or even selling it.

[quote name='Wolfnix90']what if you rent the game for $5 on the ps3, link it to your steam account. then return the game? would that work. lol im cheap =p[/QUOTE]

i'm pretty sure it's just going to be a key code and not on the actual game disc.

[quote name='AionTelos']Buy ps3 game, get steam code. Sale ps3 game :D[/QUOTE]

Have to admit I considered this, but without knowing exactly how this is going to work I think I'd rather just get in on a preorder 2-pack on Steam.

[quote name='triforcer']i'm pretty sure it's just going to be a key code and not on the actual game disc.[/QUOTE]

if it was on the game disc it would require pc users to have a bluray drive or it woudl have to be on a dvd. i thought i read somewhere in the annoucement of this that it was a code. what possible way could there be to require the disc to be in the ps3 to play your steam copy.

[quote name='paz9x']if it was on the game disc it would require pc users to have a bluray drive or it woudl have to be on a dvd. i thought i read somewhere in the annoucement of this that it was a code. what possible way could there be to require the disc to be in the ps3 to play your steam copy.[/QUOTE]

You know how with just about every current EA release (and a growing number of other games) the game includes a code to "unlock" content for use in the game. Things like Armor, certain modes, whatever they can think of to incentivize people to buy new over pre-ordered.

They could do something similar here. Included with your PS3 copy of Portal is one code used to unlock Portal 2 on both your PC and on your PS3. Without the code, your copy of Portal 2 is worth much less.

I'm not saying that's what they will do, just saying there are ways they could prevent people from buying Portal 2 - redeeming the PC version - selling Portal 2.

[quote name='LottaGames']

Then you're not using it right. Steam installs without permission, I had to DL HL2 when I bought the retail disc to avoid such a wait, it refused to start the game when my internet went out for a day or two, refused to let me play because I didn't want the update and when it DID update it broke the game (my ammo counter moved to the middle of the screen and the backgrounds were all rainbow colored), and it ran in the background when I didn't want it to. Do you see anything positive in that list? How am I losing out on all that 'fun'? I should mention too that I'm a game collector and prefer physical media, so that's not a match either.

People only use the term troll when they're proven wrong without a better comeback. Save it. I asked a Q and don't need your nonsense.[/QUOTE]

Steam only installs games when I tell it, you know there are settings to control when Steam will download games, and if it runs in the background. And this nifty setting called offline mode so you can play even with no internet by simply clicking on a button.

Even if Steam updated Half Life 2 and it caused it a problem it would have been Valve's update, not Steam itself that caused the problem.

I will also say download speeds for me are great, especially with the new features they offer to pre-download 99% of a game and to get the remaining 1% when it launches. I have a LARGE steam library from their sales where i paid a fraction of the price I'd have paid for retail versions. Since Lottagames keeps posting wrong information let me clear up a few things he's posted that are just totally wrong.

Steam is Virus free.
Steam has settings to control if you want games automatically download or steam to start automatically
At the time of this post there are over 2 million users logged in and using Steam right now. The peak for the week is 3.5 million logged on at once
Steam does not search for games and cannot update non steam games (pulled this information out of your ass) all it can do is launch game from steam so you don't need to clutter desktop with icons if you link a game.
Steam has an offline mode which is clicking a link in menu for if you have no internet
All files and games can be backed up locally

[quote name='Brian9824']
Steam is Virus free.
Steam has settings to control if you want games automatically download or steam to start automatically
At the time of this post there are over 2 million users logged in and using Steam right now. The peak for the week is 3.5 million logged on at once
Steam does not search for games and cannot update non steam games (pulled this information out of your ass) all it can do is launch game from steam so you don't need to clutter desktop with icons if you link a game.
Steam has an offline mode which is clicking a link in menu for if you have no internet
All files and games can be backed up locally[/QUOTE]
Confirmed.

[quote name='Brian9824']
...[/QUOTE]

Yes, Lottagames should give Steam another chance. But remember that back in the HL2 days, offline mode had to be enabled while you were already online, making unexpected outages a pain.

Yes, thankfully, now Steam detects no connection and offers to start in offline mode.

Yeah and looks like you are gonna need a code to play online co-op. What is the preorder DLC they are talking about? Is that the online pass?

[quote name='IRHari']https://support.steampowered.com/kb_article.php?ref=5477-WPJM-9388#features

Doesn't seem to be the same concept I thought it was.

I originally thought the PS3 copy of Portal 2 would contain a voucher to download a PC version of Portal 2 and you'd be able to play together with the PS3 dude, all using one bought copy of Portal 2 on the PS3.

Sounds like you can play and continue your PS3 file on the PC. Not as cool as I thought.[/QUOTE]

Still includes a voucher but second hand the person wont be able to play online.

I don't see why anyone would think you'd be able to play the PS3 and PC version from the same Steam account at the same time. After all, it doesn't work that way between two PCs.

Just noticed this today:
Game saves and progress from a PlayStation®3 are incompatible with other platforms (i.e. Windows or Mac). Steam Cloud data from a PlayStation®3 can only be used with another PlayStation®3 logged in to the same PSN ID.

Guess I can't continue my PS3 progress on my computer and vice versa.

[quote name='syclick']I don't see why anyone would think you'd be able to play the PS3 and PC version from the same Steam account at the same time. After all, it doesn't work that way between two PCs.[/QUOTE]

Of course the workaround is pretty obvious. :p

I think you might ONLY be able to use that voucher code on a Steam account that has been sync'd with a PSN account. It's Gabe Newell, not Numa man.

Has anyone gotten this in their quick picks since they offered the $20 credit? The game has been in my top 3 recommended for a while now and it seems like it's being ignored.

I guess the point is not everyone like muilt-player. For example, i only play 1 hr of Nfs: HP2 and as:b online before i stop and never touch online portion again.

I can always buy the ps3 version, redeem the code, and then trade the ps3 version away on goozex, where people are less anal about the online thingy.

[quote name='Xellos2099']I guess the point is not everyone like muilt-player. For example, i only play 1 hr of Nfs: HP2 and as:b online before i stop and never touch online portion again.

I can always buy the ps3 version, redeem the code, and then trade the ps3 version away on goozex, where people are less anal about the online thingy.[/QUOTE]

can i get on this deal if i dont have psn? or do i have to join the psn steam & pc steam together?

[quote name='KPunk']can i get on this deal if i dont have psn? or do i have to join the psn steam & pc steam together?[/QUOTE]
I'm pretty sure you can still play single player on PS3, you just can't go online.

If you want to play it on PC, then yes you need a PSN account, just make one for free and use a friend's PS3 to link your PSN account and steam account.

bread's done
Back