Portal 2 (Xbox/PS3) $55 + $20 Amazon Credit

Grrrrr. I have this thing pre-ordered at Gamestop for full price and no credit. I really hope the PS3 version comes back in-stock soon.

[quote name='mang9432']ugh i can't decide what to get this game for. want to play it on pc, but most of my friends will be playing on xbox... ps3 version is so appealing with the free steam version.[/QUOTE]

That's where I'm at too. I pre-ordered the 360 version because I know valve will have sales down the road for the PC. They have good deals for their games.

[quote name='ItzTitoYo']No fuckin credit for the PC version? C'mon Amazon... wtf... I was so tempted.[/QUOTE]

Just order the PS3 version when it comes back in stock, you get a free copy via Steam. Redeem the free copy via Steam, and then sell/trade in the PS3 disc.

[quote name='DieGo2SHAE']Nice. I can return the Walmart order in store for a refund (apparently I can't cancel it since the gift card has already been mailed to me), receive the $20 credit from Amazon on this order, and keep the $20 Walmart giftcard as well. Woo! :D[/QUOTE]

I hate to break the news to you, but while you will get to keep the walmart giftcard, that's because you've already paid for it. Check your credit card. When you return the game to walmart you'll get the price of the game minus $20.

More reason to never preorder from walmart.

[quote name='DieGo2SHAE']Nice. I can return the Walmart order in store for a refund (apparently I can't cancel it since the gift card has already been mailed to me), receive the $20 credit from Amazon on this order, and keep the $20 Walmart giftcard as well. Woo! :D[/QUOTE]

sorry to burst your bubble, but walmart will only give you $35 back for the game (since the total was 55-20 gift card).

[quote name='captaintek3304']Just order the PS3 version when it comes back in stock, you get a free copy via Steam. Redeem the free copy via Steam, and then sell/trade in the PS3 disc.[/QUOTE]

Good idea! I'll have to wait for it now. Didn't want to go through all that hassle, but oh well.

Nice deal. I think I'll bite on this - I haven't bought a game at release in forever... I think Gears of War 2 was the last one but I'm definitely not waiting on this one.

[quote name='crunchewy']I hate to break the news to you, but while you will get to keep the walmart giftcard, that's because you've already paid for it. Check your credit card. When you return the game to walmart you'll get the price of the game minus $20.

More reason to never preorder from walmart.[/QUOTE]

Either that or they will want the gift card back. When I returned Halo Reach to Wal-Mart they took back the $20 promo gift card and gave me a full refund.

[quote name='captaintek3304']Just order the PS3 version when it comes back in stock, you get a free copy via Steam. Redeem the free copy via Steam, and then sell/trade in the PS3 disc.[/QUOTE]

If it's that easy, this is the last time they'll ever do that.

I kinda want to bite on this, but I am still kinda pissed at the differences between the xbox/ps3 versions. I hate when game companies do this, and when I'm stuck with the shorter end of the stick (since I have xbox in this situation), I have a hard time buying the game. Not so pissed about the cross functional playing ability (as this could really prove to be problematic)...but I am pissed about not receiving a full steam version of the game as well. I know the solution is to just get a ps3 :).....I'm thinking about it, especially for socom 4 as Socom was all I played back on the days of the ps2.

[quote name='kart007k']Wait so does PS3 version does come with PC copy?[/QUOTE]
Basically. A Steam digital download code I think it is. I dont pay much attention to PC though so I'm not 100% on that.

[quote name='jdb230']I kinda want to bite on this, but I am still kinda pissed at the differences between the xbox/ps3 versions. I hate when game companies do this, and when I'm stuck with the shorter end of the stick (since I have xbox in this situation), I have a hard time buying the game. Not so pissed about the cross functional playing ability (as this could really prove to be problematic)...but I am pissed about not receiving a full steam version of the game as well. I know the solution is to just get a ps3 :).....I'm thinking about it, especially for socom 4 as Socom was all I played back on the days of the ps2.[/QUOTE]
PS3 owners have to deal with inferior versions probably even more so than Xbox owners. I'd definitely get a PS3 if you dont have one though. You can get the Killzone 3 bundle at Kmart with a $50 Kmart credit right now, or wait until there's a price drop on the PS3. Either way I'd get one for games like Infamous and Uncharted coming this year.

[quote name='sdcranford']Crap, I wanted this for PS3. Hopefully it comes back "in stock" before it goes back to full price.
Reserved a 360 copy just incase.[/QUOTE]
lol next time I'll take the time to say "unavailable" instead I guess.

[quote name='Killbomb']Either that or they will want the gift card back. When I returned Halo Reach to Wal-Mart they took back the $20 promo gift card and gave me a full refund.[/QUOTE]

Ah. That may be. When I ran into this I'd already spent the gift card. Maybe they see that you haven't used it and then can instead invalidate it. Either way you aren't getting free money.

[quote name='crunchewy']If it's that easy, this is the last time they'll ever do that.[/QUOTE]

Oh don't worry, it won't be that easy :) I'm fairly certain Valve and Sony are neither one too keen on handing out 60 dollar games, there's gonna be a bit more in the way of account protection shit.

Well, I am sure there is nothing they can do about activate the game on a ps3 for pc and then trade it away to someoen who only play single player like for example game trading site. Not everyone like to play online like Yahtzee. They can aslo sell online pass as well to those who buy the game second hand and want online. Unless they require the psn to be on while playing portal 2, which is unlikely.

Any news about the Gamestop "Custom Bots" preorder DLC? Naturally, I'm planning on pre-ordering PS3 version from Amazon as soon as it comes back, but I wonder if the GS DLC will ever be for sale.

[quote name='javeryh']Nice deal. I think I'll bite on this - I haven't bought a game at release in forever... I think Gears of War 2 was the last one but I'm definitely not waiting on this one.[/QUOTE]

"That is the fortitude and urgency we like to see in our test subjects. After all, we will most certainly not be waiting on you."--GLaDOS.

These recent deals have been awesome, in for 360. If you run through this game and just want to sell it back you'll probably end up ahead. I wound up plus $3 on Killzone 3.

I pre-ordered from amazon before this offer(back when it was $5 credit). With the pre-order price guarantee I'll get bumped up to the $20 right? Or should I re-order it once the PS3 version is back up for order?

[quote name='Ultragamer']I pre-ordered from amazon before this offer(back when it was $5 credit). With the pre-order price guarantee I'll get bumped up to the $20 right? Or should I re-order it once the PS3 version is back up for order?[/QUOTE]

It says right on the main page of the game:

Get a $20 Amazon.com Credit
Pre-order Portal 2 for PlayStation 3 or Xbox 360 and receive $5 off the original price of $59.99 as well as $20 in promotional credit toward the purchase of items shipped and sold by Amazon.com (certain exclusions apply, including Kindle books, MP3s, and video rentals and downloads). The promotional credit will be added directly to your Amazon.com account within two days after your order ships. Offer valid when shipped and sold by Amazon.com. This offer will be extended to all existing pre-orders. Promotions valid on all existing orders. Amazon reserves the right to change or terminate this promotion at any time. Limit one per customer.

[quote name='EdgeCrusher36']It says right on the main page of the game:[/QUOTE]

All I see on the PS3 page was this:

Order "Portal 2" for PS3 and receive a $20 promotional credit toward the purchase of items shipped and sold by Amazon.com (certain exclusions apply, including Kindle books, MP3s, and video rentals and downloads). The promotional credit will be added directly to your Amazon.com account within two days after your order ships. Offer valid when shipped and sold by Amazon.com. Limit one per household. Amazon reserves the right to change or terminate this promotion at any time. Here's how (restrictions apply)

On my page is says nothing about earlier pre-orders. I only see the box that shows that offer for the 360.

Does anyone else feel the same way I do? I find it hard to justify buying Portal 2 as a full retail game when I know in the back of my mind that it was originally a small game in Orange Box (albeit a very fun and challenging game), and then became an XBLA game due to its popularity. I'm sure they added a ton more levels, different gameplay, etc., to justify the $60 MSRP, but still....

EDIT: I'm not hating on the game. I loved and enjoyed it in Orange Box. I just have a hard time justifying to myself that I should pay so much.

[quote name='Ultragamer']All I see on the PS3 page was this:

On my page is says nothing about earlier pre-orders. I only see the box that shows that offer for the 360.[/QUOTE]

Keep the order as is. You will definitely get the $20 promotion with your current order. There is also a chance that you will get the original $5 + $20 credit (similar to what happened with Pokemon White/Black).

[quote name='Ionotropic']Waiting for PS3 to be restocked...[/QUOTE]

[quote name='TravistyOJ']
Waiting for PS3 restock.[/QUOTE]

Or, do a chat and get the order placed. It seems just the website is not showing up as the CSR can easily create or add to an existing order. I just did so.

[quote name='CaseX']Does anyone else feel the same way I do? I find it hard to justify buying Portal 2 as a full retail game when I know in the back of my mind that it was originally a small game in Orange Box (albeit a very fun and challenging game), and then became an XBLA game due to its popularity. I'm sure they added a ton more levels, different gameplay, etc., to justify the $60 MSRP, but still....

EDIT: I'm not hating on the game. I loved and enjoyed it in Orange Box. I just have a hard time justifying to myself that I should pay so much.[/QUOTE]

Oddly, I feel the same exact way. Even with the $5 off and $20 cert, it still feels like I am paying $35 for something that I don't feel passionately enough about to spend more than $20. I'm sure it will be a good game, but it's not one I need at launch.

now the waiting game, cmon amazon, just get more preorders so we can buy them, i really dont want to give any money to walmart!

If places like Wal-mart and K-Mart didn't have the huge sales tax killing the price so much, I wouldn't be so reluctant to buy some of these gift-card deals from them isntead. Unfortunately, it's always a cheaper bottom-line deal at Amazon, so I stick with them. I wouldn't mind having some alternatives from ordering from Amazon all the time for new-release games.

bread's done
Back