Possible 20% off PS3 at BB (likely YMMV)

snakeneck

CAGiversary!
Feedback
2 (100%)
As a Reward Zone member I recieved in the mail some of the usual coupons, ie 10% off games but there's also a coupon that reads "20% OFF all Blu-ray Disc and HD-DVD high-definition players."
The exclusion list on the back reads "Excludes Pioneer Elite; Xbox 360 HD DVD players; all HD-DVD and Blu-ray computer drives; special order, clearance,demo and open-box items."
No specific mention of the PS3 which is a Blu-ray player. Might be worth a try to convince an employee to accept this. What do you guys think?

I say it's worth a try...the worst they can say is NO. You could even angle them by saying "I called the best buy customer service line and they said since it's not specifically excluded like the XBOX drive, it will be fine"

I received the same coupon in the mail. I wondered the same thing when I noticed that it mentioned the 360 HD-DVD drive as an exclusion, but it did not mention the PS3.

I wonder if you went to the TV section asking about the best Blu_ray player... If the sales clerk knows anything they will point you to a PS3. Then you pull out the coupon...

Who knows. It might work.

Could be most certainly worth a try. Their angle will more than likely be that the PS3 is not primarily a Blu-ray player, but like others have said, that's the worst they can do...is say, "No." If you anyone is able to pull it off, they'll be walking out with a great deal.

hey guys sorry to be the bearer of bad news, but i work at best buy in MI and the ps3 is considered a video gaming station...not a blu-ray player. all stores have been instructed not to accept that reward zone member coupon for the ps3. also, signs have been posted by the ps3s. sorry=(

[quote name='chart423']hey guys sorry to be the bearer of bad news, but i work at best buy in MI and the ps3 is considered a video gaming station...not a blu-ray player. all stores have been instructed not to accept that reward zone member coupon for the ps3. also, signs have been posted by the ps3s. sorry=([/quote]

This is why it's a YMMV deal. It might still work. All you need is the right combination of luck and ingnorant employee.

[quote name='happyorangeman']Hey I walked out with a Guitar Hero Sex Pistols face plate for a penny so anything is possible at BB...[/quote]

Don't alot of items get pennied out at alot of stores? You are talking about something 14.99 vs 499.99.

[quote name='happyorangeman']Hey I walked out with a Guitar Hero Sex Pistols face plate for a penny so anything is possible at BB...[/quote]

Faceplates are pennied at BB?

LOL.
NEWS TO ME.

It's worth a shot, I tried with the last one on the PS3 but the coupon specifically says no game consoles. It was funny, since it was slow I tried arguing about how Sony markets the PS3 as a Blu-ray player and such I should get the discount but was turned down by the clerk about how it's a game console

ah well

[quote name='cuco33']It's worth a shot, I tried with the last one on the PS3 but the coupon specifically says no game consoles. It was funny, since it was slow I tried arguing about how Sony markets the PS3 as a Blu-ray player and such I should get the discount but was turned down by the clerk about how it's a game console

ah well[/quote]

Yes, possibly try buying some blu-ray movies with it and since it does qualify for the five free movie deal, I would consider it a blu-ray player since the coupon just says player, and the PS3 does do that.

[quote name='Xrazor']I've been dying to ask, what does YMMV mean? PM Please[/quote]

your mileage may vary...

meaning it all depends on your stores on whether or not the deal will go through.

If they don't honor it that is false advertising. 20% off all Blu-ray players. Does a PS3 play Blu-ray?...yup!

This happens all the time at Best Buy. I don't know why that just don't specifically exclude the PS3 like they do with the Xbox drive.

[quote name='Furashu']your mileage may vary...

meaning it all depends on your stores on whether or not the deal will go through.[/quote]Furashu, your avatar looks familiar...Do you post on K-F?

[quote name='skube']If they don't honor it that is false advertising. 20% off all Blu-ray players. Does a PS3 play Blu-ray?...yup!

This happens all the time at Best Buy. I don't know why that just don't specifically exclude the PS3 like they do with the Xbox drive.[/quote]
Even Sony touted the PS3 as the cheapest Blu-ray player on the market when it came out! And with the next Blu-ray spec coming up, any players that cannot receive firmware updates are going to be useless. If any employees give you a hard time, be sure to point that out ;)

I hope this works for people, but 20% off a PS3 is SIGNIFICANTLY below store cost. I'd be surprised if BB was willing to lose that much money on this promotion.

I brought my $10 off $70 coupon to Bestbuy and tried buying a game and a PC headset. I was extremely ticked off when they didn't consider the PC headset a game accessory, but apparently a PS3 or Xbox 360 headset is a game accessory.

As a PC Gamer, I find this highly annoying. I wanted to hurt people.

It could happen... That's how I got my PS3 :) good old 20% off any item in K-Mart :D

edit-- It comes down to $319 before tax for anyone wondering (a 40 GB version)

I wonder if this coupon not excluding the PS3 has anything to do with the rumours of a price drop on the 40GB to $299 on 1/29? Maybe BB has a deal with Sony or something and have already had their costs lowered...

That rumour was killed off a while ago, at least I think it was... Either way just wait 5 days then go buy it :D.

The rumour is actually heating up more with the 80GB model dropping off Best Buy's site, etc.

All Sony ever said was they don't have plans to currently drop the price-- check back to what Sony was saying on July 5th, 2007 about the lack of a price drop (That Speedy had already reported) and you'll notice remarkable similarities. (http://www.gamedaily.com/articles/features/report-ps3-499-on-july-12/70636/?biz=1 )

I'm not saying it's happening, just that the coupon may be legit for a PS3, as a big price drop may be coming, and nothing that has come out since that rumour has really dispelled it.

[quote name='jgressley']I received the same coupon in the mail. I wondered the same thing when I noticed that it mentioned the 360 HD-DVD drive as an exclusion, but it did not mention the PS3.

I wonder if you went to the TV section asking about the best Blu_ray player... If the sales clerk knows anything they will point you to a PS3. Then you pull out the coupon...

Who knows. It might work.[/quote]
I actually went to Best Buy today to try it but I left the coupon on my dresser at home so I couldn't try it but I did notice, in this BB, on one of the Blu Ray endcap displays they were running the blu Ray preview disk on a PS3 and had boxes of PS3 around it. I intend to go back because it will be hard for them to say that it's not a Blu Ray player when they are selling it in the T.V. section as a Blu Ray player. I plan to go back tomorrow and try. I don't think the BB near my house has this same set up so I will wait until I come back on this side of town tomorrow. I'll keep you all posted.

Has anyone else been trying this deal and getting results? I'm reluctant to go down and put up a fight if its not working for many people

I walked into Best Buy today hoping to try this out but my BB has already pulled the 80 gigs off the shelves. If Sony doesn't get another SKU out soon they can forget about getting my money. I'm not buying the piece of shit 40GB SKU.

bread's done
Back