Possible 46% Off Video Games at Target (Rain Check Substitution) YMMV

Mysteriouskk

CAGiversary!
I haven't confirmed this yet, so that's why I state possible in the title.

I just noticed in target's weekly ad that they are selling Max Payne 2 - The Fall of Max Payne for Playstation 2 and Xbox for $26.88. Online price shows $49.99, so it's possible that a raincheck substitution might net 46% off any other game (should work with GameCube games, too).

There have been a couple of threads on target's RC substitution policy and games, here's target=new href="http://www.fatwallet.com/redirect/bounce.php?http://fatwallet.com/forums/messageview.php?catid=24&threadid=261216">one if you're new to this type of deal.

Sorry, I haven't been able to confirm this yet, but thought I'd give a heads up to everyone.

Can anyone check or go to target and see if this deal is on, cuz /i really want to get two games for 46% off thanks

[quote name='guessed']

If you are at a Circuit City, and can prove that another store was willing to look out the window for you, they will not only look out the window, but Customer Service also will squirt you with a Super Soaker (TM) until roughly 10% of your surface area is wet. Best Buy has the same policy, but only if it was actually raining the day before.

If you are at a Target, they will look out the window. If a window is unavailable, they may or may not let you look out the front door, as it has a different product category. YMMV.

I have become part of the problem. Does anybody have any drugs that I can blame this on? :roll:

P.S. Don't Do Drugs.[/quote]

Best post I've seen.

I believe Target has a raincheck on R. Kelly CDs.

It's called the 'Don't piss on my leg and tell me it's rain-check'

*cymbal crash*

Sorry, no drugs to blame this on either.

I wanted to get Halo which is currently $26.99. But being the cheapassgamer I am, I'm wondering if I can use a raincheck to make it cheaper. I'm still confused how this stuff works. It might be the drugs.

I got a raincheck for it yesterday and tried to purchase the new Bond game for gamecube today but no luck... apparently it has to be a PS2 game to qualify? I think that's little shifty considering the substution examples they provide (tv for a tv, a doll for a doll, a shirt for a shirt) I mean it's a video game for a video game ... but then again the whole deal is a big break for consumers so it's hard to complain. Anyone have any luck with cross platform subs?

I used the 47% off raincheck to purchase (PS2):
Final Fantasy X-2 $37.88 (on sale this week) - 47% = $20.07
Rachet & Clank GC $39.99 - 47% = $21.19
EyeToy $44.99 - 47% = $23.84
I was going to buy three copies of Max Payne 2 as gifts for three diffrent
relatives, but they can have these instead. Not a bad deal. :D

damn they gave u the 47 off something that was already on sale, and an eyetoy which isn't even really software? what state are u in cause I need to move there lol

Well, no luck on MVP Baseball. The clerk said I can only use the raincheck on another item if they are out of stock on that one (Max Payne 2, they had a ton). So I'm not liking my odds of getting this one to work.

> The clerk said I can only use the raincheck on another item if they are out > of stock on that one

You can argue your way past that one, there is nothing on the rain check that says that.

To the contrary, it says "Here are some options for you to consider.", implying that you can pick either one. It would certainly make sense for them to add the "must be out of original item to substitute" language, but it's not there.

One warning is that at one Target near me, some cashiers are starting to cut off the "choose a substitute" area. Has this happened to anyone else?

I got Ninja Gaiden for $30 today...

You know, I'm really starting to like Target. Their sales/rain-check policy makes that store heaven for the well-informed gamer looking to save a buck.

Or, in this case...twenty bucks.

Does the raincheck and the substituted item have to be the same price? Or can one be bigger than the other?

I just picked up James Bond: EON for 22 some odd bucks at target this evening, for the gamecube no less. 47 percent discount plus a five dollar off coupon with the welcome addition of a 25 dollar gift card that I got for opening a new bank account a few weeks back and bam... I end up strolling out with a 50 dollar game and no money out of my pocket... god bless target's night shift.

[quote name='Requiem']Does the raincheck and the substituted item have to be the same price? Or can one be bigger than the other?[/quote]
bigger or smaller

I tried to use a rain check on Mario Kart Super Circuit (GBA game-$29.99) and the cashier said I could only get it for $26.88 (or whatever MP 2 is on sale for). The cashier just wouldn't give me the 47% off.

So if the cashier was correct, that means I could get a rain check for 5% off of a $99.99 TV and substitute that for a $1,000 TV and get the TV for $95? I don't think so.

[quote name='Yo Mama']> The clerk said I can only use the raincheck on another item if they are out > of stock on that one

You can argue your way past that one, there is nothing on the rain check that says that.

To the contrary, it says "Here are some options for you to consider.", implying that you can pick either one. It would certainly make sense for them to add the "must be out of original item to substitute" language, but it's not there.[/quote]

I just wasn't in the mood to go at it with someone, especially since not only was the game in stock but it was still on sale. The raincheck is good until late April so I've got plenty of time to try again. Maybe someday an old lady will be working the electronics desk and won't bother to check (a youngish-looking guy told me that I had to use it on the same item).

Update: well, I just can't win. A different clerk told me about the "only for same item if in stock" thing. So then I noticed that the PS2 Max Payne 2 actually was out of stock. I asked if I could get a raincheck for that, and then substitute because it's out of stock. She goes to look something up or whatever and comes back and says she can give me a raincheck but it should be on the truck Saturday. So then I ask wait can't I just substitute it because it's not here? And she says "not today".

So whatever. I give up.

[quote name='ElwoodCuse']Update: well, I just can't win. A different clerk told me about the "only for same item if in stock" thing. So then I noticed that the PS2 Max Payne 2 actually was out of stock. I asked if I could get a raincheck for that, and then substitute because it's out of stock. She goes to look something up or whatever and comes back and says she can give me a raincheck but it should be on the truck Saturday. So then I ask wait can't I just substitute it because it's not here? And she says "not today".

So whatever. I give up.[/quote]

Did you ask her what her highest level of education was? or if she can even read?

You should have asked for a manager, complained and made a scene until you got it.

Don't hesitate to bring a clerk's education level into question if he or she is giving you a hard time. Remember: they're not just "doing their job" if they're denying you a service that is guaranteed by the wording of their corporate employer's policy.

PS: And, when in doubt, talk to a manager. They tend to be more well educated, and therefor more open to reason. I've found that stupid people are harder to convince of things, not easier, because they're too stupid to know they're wrong and are very thick-headed as a result.

That's true, to an extent.

It's when you run into stupid-yet-opinionated clerks that you run into trouble, because they're incapable of being reasoned with and think they know what's right from the get-go.

at my target they got hella MP2 and SC2 so i couldnt get a raincheck but i got one for FFX-2 which is only 25% and then the lady said i could only have one, after i went to customer service and i asked for a raincheck for THUG which was out of stock and then the bitch wrote raincheck for THUG only on it, this deal wasnt as easy to get as the madden raincheck, i wouldve liked ninja gaiden for 26.xx though

Well, I went back to try to use my SC2 raincheck on MVP baseball, but SC2 was in stock, so I bought it, kept the rain check, and will wait until they run out, or try another Target.

NOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!
I went to my local Target and they only had one last copy of Max Payne 2. I was gonna buy it because I really do want this game and I also really want a raincheck but I'll just check back tomorrow.

"I went to my local Target and they only had one last copy of Max Payne 2. I was gonna buy it because I really do want this game and I also really want a raincheck but I'll just check back tomorrow."

...did it ever occur to you that if you bought the game, they'd be out of stock? So the next day when you went back, you could get the rain-check AND have the game you intended to buy anyway?

Well, I officially give up. A manager type said something about "high 47% discount blah blah blah can't just get any game half off" whatever I don't care. I know, I know, the squeeky wheel, but for a difference of 14 damn dollars it's not worth it. So I just went to the KB 20% sale.

And as I walked out to my car from KB, I take my keys out of my pocket, and the Target rainchecks accidentally come out as well and blow away. And all I can think is DAMN is that creepy.

Also, I'd like to think that I scored some cheap ass karma points by not just buying one of the $26.88 games and doing the Wal-Mart swap.

When does this sale end? Am I too late to pick up rain checks? I'll be going tomorrow after school anyway but If I could find out before that would save me the trip.

My Target is always sold out of good games on sale so I shouldn't have a problem.

Elwood, have that person fired. They CANNOT argue it. They are in the same category. Hell, my Target STILL doesn't have Max Payne 2 in stock and it's still advertised.

[quote name='dpatel']When does this sale end? Am I too late to pick up rain checks? I'll be going tomorrow after school anyway but If I could find out before that would save me the trip.

My Target is always sold out of good games on sale so I shouldn't have a problem.[/quote]

Actually, you're not too late this time. Max Payne 2 is still on sale for $26.88, down from $49.99, so if your Target doesn't have any more copies of MP2, you're in luck. Just ask a cashier or other employee if you can get a raincheck for it, and try to request a quantity of more than one.

I went to my Target and they had loads of Max Payne 2, but I decided to try, so I went up to customer service and asked them for a raincheck - they gave it to me, no questions asked. I wandered over to the electronics department and had an employee get a game out of the glass case for me. I then brought it over to the large line of registers with large lines of people and everything went smoothly. They even gave me my raincheck back.

EDIT: I used it for GC Prince of Persia for $16.

I had to say something when I read this. At this point, it may well be off-topic, but whatever.

What do you guys think when big chains like Target, Fry's and Best Buy don't have enough game to satisfy demand? These are big corporations, who spend big money advertising these sales. They know exactly how large a demand for a product will be at a given price.

You know what? Don't blame people at the store level. These ads are usually made three months in advance, and no matter how much you try to keep your inventory updated with the distributor you don't always have all the stock you need when the ad hits. You think you're frustrated when you get there and there's nothing in stock? Try being the manager who has to deal with all of the pissy customers.

And as far as the "scam" goes...

If you really want MP2 but use your raincheck to settle for a different game, cool. All the people who are stocking up on rainchecks, think about this: you may be getting a cheap deal, but the person in charge who has to deal with the raincheck abuse in the end is getting one in the ass.

[quote name='AspiringWannabe']I had to say something when I read this. At this point, it may well be off-topic, but whatever.

What do you guys think when big chains like Target, Fry's and Best Buy don't have enough game to satisfy demand? These are big corporations, who spend big money advertising these sales. They know exactly how large a demand for a product will be at a given price.

You know what? Don't blame people at the store level. These ads are usually made three months in advance, and no matter how much you try to keep your inventory updated with the distributor you don't always have all the stock you need when the ad hits. You think you're frustrated when you get there and there's nothing in stock? Try being the manager who has to deal with all of the pissy customers.

If you really want MP2 but use your raincheck to settle for a different game, cool. All the people who are stocking up on rainchecks, think about this: you may be getting a cheap deal, but the person in charge who has to deal with the raincheck abuse in the end is getting one in the ass.[/quote]

its not a scam since we are doing nothing against their policy. It just immoral to stack up on rain checks for the purpose of buying games other than MP2. I do this and will keep doing this. It is not our fault that target as such a lenient policy on rain checks. If they don't want things like this happening. They should just change there policy. Until then, enjoy their mistakes and happy CAGing

Dpatel you pretty much hit it on the nail. I feel the same way, if Target does not want people 'abusing' their raincheck policy then they need to change it.

[quote name='dpatel'][quote name='AspiringWannabe']I had to say something when I read this. At this point, it may well be off-topic, but whatever.

If you really want MP2 but use your raincheck to settle for a different game, cool. All the people who are stocking up on rainchecks, think about this: you may be getting a cheap deal, but the person in charge who has to deal with the raincheck abuse in the end is getting one in the ass.[/quote]

its not a scam since we are doing nothing against their policy. It just immoral to stack up on rain checks for the purpose of buying games other than MP2. I do this and will keep doing this. It is not our fault that target as such a lenient policy on rain checks. If they don't want things like this happening. They should just change there policy. Until then, enjoy their mistakes and happy CAGing[/quote]
its not a mistake, its a service they're providing...they don't want to disappoint you as a customer so they're giving us an optional choice, but i think some people are just taking it too far.

its completely their choice to provide this service though. All the other major retail stores don't offer this service and do just fine. If I were them, I would eliminate the substitution part and just keep the rain check idea. I'll bet they will do that soon, so until then I will get as many games as I can with this.

[quote name='stapleking']I went to my Target and they had loads of Max Payne 2, but I decided to try, so I went up to customer service and asked them for a raincheck - they gave it to me, no questions asked. I wandered over to the electronics department and had an employee get a game out of the glass case for me. I then brought it over to the large line of registers with large lines of people and everything went smoothly. They even gave me my raincheck back.

EDIT: I used it for GC Prince of Persia for $16.[/quote]

I too went to target expecting them to be sold out (like they normally are). To my surprise they had about 8 copies of each version. Since I was already there, I tried to ask anyway. I was able to grab 4 rainchecks from them. Haven't used them yet since they don't expire until may.

so you guys just go up to the worker asking for a raincheck even though its in stock? Was the worker rather old or I mean don't you need the item # to get the rain check or their ad I guess?

you go to the customer service in the front of the store. If you're lucky they will just take your word for it and not double check their inventory.

bread's done
Back