Possible Bad News for the PS3?

[quote name='mykevermin']Just so you know, I'm not picking on you personally; it just happens that you're saying a great deal of idiotic things. No Final Fantasy will be a launch title for the PS3; FFXII is well in development for Japan and the United States. It will release in March and "Fall" of 2006, respectively. FFXIII isn't even on the radar yet, and if begun today, wouldn't be ready until mid-2007 in a best case scenario (and that best case scenario includes Japan only, and doesn't take into account translation and localization woes).

You might as well claim Halo 3 is going to be a PS3 launch title, because it's just as bloody likely.[/QUOTE]

man you really like being a pest don't you? if you don't like my opinions, then don't reply to it. guess thats why your always home on a friday night :p

If the PS3 comes out at around $500 it would sell extremely well simply due to the fact that Blu-Ray players are so expensive that tech-savy people might just pick up a PS3 instead of buying one of these Blu-Ray players. This could greatly increase it's market value not just with gamers but also with the general public that might not have any intrest in gaming but reather it's infatuated with having the latest and the best technology has to offer.

[quote name='ITDEFX']man you really like being a pest don't you? if you don't like my opinions, then don't reply to it. guess thats why your always home on a friday night :p[/QUOTE]
When I have opinions, I like them to have some grounding in fact. I don't like to discuss Metal Gear Eleventeen for the Playstation Seven because I don't know a good goddamned thing about it to be honest. Simply put, having an opinion and making shit up are very different things; I happen to prefer speculating on what might actually happen than, say, discussing the Pittsburgh Pirates winning the Super Bowl. Dig?

As far as my being home on Friday night, sure thing there mackerel. I'm a dork because I'm home on a Friday night, and you're there to call me on it. ;)

[quote name='I AM WILLIAM H. MACY']Honestly, if PS3 is $500 and comes out in summer at the same time as the $200 Revolution and a likely maybe $50 price drop for the 360, the PS3 will fail. No one will pay that, mark my words.[/QUOTE]

I remember hearing those same things about Xbox 360.

"No one will pay $400, and $60 for games, MS is crazy, worst idea ever!"

They seem to have done alright for themselves.

Theres a difference between having early success with new technology, and having the staying power to remain successful over a products lifetime.

[quote name='Roufuss']I remember hearing those same things about Xbox 360.

"No one will pay $400, and $60 for games, MS is crazy, worst idea ever!"

They seem to have done alright for themselves.[/QUOTE]
Yeah, but other than the richers (like myself), people aren't really willing to pay $500 or $600 for a system.

If I didn't know the prices of either the 360 or the PS3, I'd probably still tell you the maximum I'd pay would be about $350 (I went to $400 on the 360 cuz of the extras, and that was still pushing it).

[quote name='I AM WILLIAM H. MACY']Yeah, but other than the richers (like myself), people aren't really willing to pay $500 or $600 for a system.

If I didn't know the prices of either the 360 or the PS3, I'd probably still tell you the maximum I'd pay would be about $350 (I went to $400 on the 360 cuz of the extras, and that was still pushing it).[/QUOTE]

Mr. Macy, being a celeb I'm surprised you haven't been able to work out a way to get one free from Sony.

God damn you William H. Macy. Not only are you rich, but you get to bang Felicity Huffman. I be she's a real demon in the sack, too.

It seems everyone I run into is either not buying a 360 because they're waiting on the PS3, or they plan to buy both. Given the amounts 360's have been going for after-market, I don't think it's a stretch at all to think the PS3 would sell very well at a $500 price point.

I also don't think it's going to happen. Everything Sony's revealed so far shows that they aren't willing to cut MS any slack this time around, and I think that will extend to the price point they set. I think the system will launch @ $400, to match the 360's premium price.

And no, we won't see a FF at launch - I agree that that is silly. But from what we've been shown so far it wouldn't be too far-fetched to see MGS4 or Devil May Cry 4 at or near launch. I read a rumor on another board that Level 5 is going to release Dark Cloud 3 this summer in Japan, and supposedly Rogue Galaxy is there last current-gen project. Tho I'm not putting a LOT of weight in the rumor (it was supposedly in a new German PS2 mag), it would make for a nice launch title.

[quote name='ITDEFX']10 bucks say all those FF fanboys will buy it IF the next FF is a launch title. Sony and Square know this. Best for us to wait for price drops and for them to work out the kinks of the first generation batches of both the PS3 and Blue Ray drives. Remember we are cheapassgamers here..im not gonna pay full price for anything :p[/QUOTE]

If Final Fantasy is a launch title, I'll buy 2 Playstation 3 Systems on launch just so I have a backup.

You can look at it like this the sony ps2 came out at it's set price (what ever it was), during the first year of production they lost $125-150 per unit (this is due to the recouping of costs associated with it) now several years, price drops, and a redesign later they are making a profit by selling it at $149.99. We all seem to be spoiled w/ prices and saving money, but we forget that first gen of any technology is very expensive (i.e. first atari's were in the range of 299-399 and that was back in the early 80's, vcr's took 10 years to drop below $100 it tool dvd players less than 4) and no matter how you speculate there is no such thing as a cheap blu-ray dvd player, not on a first gen. and look a first gen set top box (or for the non tech savy a standard style dvd player) is going to go for near the $900 and up mark. the rest of the technology is stuff that pretty much already exsists (like video scalers, and hd upconverters). but in a ps3 almost all of it is stuff that is not out or on the market, so it going for $400-500 is a heck of a deal. This is when I learned my lesson about new technology....1997.....philips cd recorder,.....$500......only one cd tray and you had to have a seperate cd changer to hook up too it......oh did i mention the cost of disks were near $4 a disk if you could find them,,,,,sold it for $100 and only made 5 cd's, now I wait for it to level off......but I sure can't wait to get one :)

bread's done
Back