Possible BB "Computer Glitch". GGC compatible with games less than $20

Status
Not open for further replies.

captaincold

CAGiversary!
Feedback
18 (100%)
I didn't post this earlier because i thought it was a mistake by the cashier but reading the "BB.com 1cent" guides post someone posted something similar.

I took a Xbox Music Mixer/Microphone set which is $19.99 & Espn College Hoops 2k4 ps2 $4.99 to the register.

I handed the dude the $5 off GGC and when he rang it up the total came out to a total of $15 + Tax. It took $5 off BOTH games!!! On the reciept it has Espn at 0.00

Since i'm going out tonight i will stop by BB & try something similar.
I'll take 2 games up to the register, one that's 19.99 & one that's less than $19.99 and report back later tonight.

It's all in how the clerk rings them up. There is no lockout in the system, IIRC. Technically, if you could find an ignorant clerk, you could get games under $19.99 to ring up with the discount. YMMV, depending on the cashier...

CONFIRMED

Ok just got back from a different BB than the previous one & i can confirm this.

Bought another copy of Feel the Magic which is on sale this week for $25 & also picked up Advance Wars 2 which is 9.99

I made sure to pay attention to what happened when she rung me up.

She scanned all the items including the card then pressed a total(?) button. At that point a screen pops up saying that the coupon is for $19.99 games or higher. She presses ok then the final total comes up which was $25 + Tax.

I've NEVER had this happen before so i'm assuming it's a new occurence involving the new ggc's.

Well, I checked the barcode for the GGC for 2004 and 2005 and indeed the numbers are different. But even if the glitch is caused by the 2005 GGC, there isn't much to benefit for games under $19.99 (unlike the TRU green tag sale). And like you said, you'd have to buy a game that qualifies for the deal to work, otherwise it'll raise a red flag to the cashier.

Well, I guess it's not all to waste, maybe this info can be used somehow in the future(?)

I mentioned this a while ago, actually. I've used the new $19.99 GGC coupon on the new PStwo stand ($14.99) and Ribbit King ($9.99) on two seperate occasions. A popup box did show the cashier that it was only valid on items $19.99 and up, but they seemed to overlook it. Oh, and to get one coupon to be applied to more than one item on a purchase, it must be scanned twice. That's how things played out when I got the PStwo stand and some other game that actually qualified for the coupon, which then gave me the idea to try it out on Ribbit King the following week. Just find a cashier that doesn't know what they're doing, and you're golden.

Shame my Best Buy never has any GGCs around. Though since Best Buy doesn't have much in the way of deals anyway, and they're pure evil, I generally avoid 'em.

This happened to me, also. I bought RE4 and the guide, and the GGC took $5 off both of them. The guide was $16.99 before the discount.

it has worked me for on accessories. i bought a dance pad and sony ps2 controller when it was on sale (17.99). the coupon took $5 off each making the controller 12.99 and the pad 14.99.

I had this happen with me yesterday, I thought the cashier messed up, got Banjo Pilot for 14.99 (19.99) and Crash on the GC for free (4.99) and all my penny guides for zero also, that is so cool, have to try it again :)

I'm going to BB on my lunchbreak today to see if this will work. Cashiers at my local BB seem like they really don't pay attention to anything.

Let's try not to keep this not too bumped up, so we can avoid the FW crowd.

EDIT: Good Deal, have to pass because of BS $150 tabs this month.

last week i bought zelda minish cap and advance wars and used the GGC. it didnt happen to me though. maybe because i pricematched it from CC?

This has been going on for a while apparently. The same thing happened to me on Nov. 24, as I documented in this post:

http://www.cheapassgamer.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=580012&highlight=yager#580012

At the time, I thought I just got lucky with a lax cashier; I didn't recognize it as a pattern or a glitch. This topic proves otherwise.

Here's the key: don't abuse it and don't argue with the cashier if you don't get $5 off your cheaper item(s). And whatever you do, do not get a manager involved. That's a sure way to get this killed.

It's still YMMV. You could get a cashier that notices it and corrects it, you get a cashier that notices it but doesn't bother to correct it (like mine), or you could get a cashier that doesn't notice it at all. Just be smart about it and we'll all get the most mileage out of this "deal."

-DM

exactly what d monic said, dont get the manager involved, or if you see one try not to do it infront of them, cuz the coupon it self says 19.99 or more, so, you realyl cant argue for it...

I was able to get in on this "deal" today. We started off on the wrong foot the cashier looks at my $5 off a game $19.99 more and says it's expired it says 12/31 on it. I look at it and say yes it's 12/31/05.

She then scans the coupon and my two games. One is $19.99 the other is $4.99. She then looks at the screen and says it should not have taken this off of both games. I just wait around for her to do whatever and she says the total is $15.89.

I still got the deal but the cashier used one of those return type sheets for a receipt. So, I'm guessing this won't last long, since they keep a copy for themselves and staple the coupon to it.

[quote name='nickmad']what is GGC?[/quote]

nickmad, this is a special gift card that is sold for video games and when you buy them you get a coupon that states you get a certain percentage off of your game purchase.

sadly, i havent seen the green(5 bucks off ANY 19.99 game or accessory) best buy GGC on sale in over a month. I picked up about a dozen of them the last time i saw it and havent seen any since then.

lots of blue($5 off a 29.99 ps2 game or accessory) and occassionally see xbox 29.99 ones and there are TONS of the EA $5 off a $29.99 EA product, but those all suck imo. well they are a decent deal if you buy a game that gets marked down(say mercs for xbox goes to $35 next week, and i use an xbox GGC on it to bring the price to $30, that is damn good)

thanks OP!

I picked up Zoo Keeper for Nintendo DS and Zelda Minish Cap strategy Gudie today with this trick!

Zoo Keepter regular price $34.99 rang up as $29.99
Zelda Minish Cap Guide regular $14.99 rang up as $9.99!

The cool part is the register only needed to scan the coupon once!! not twice as someone mentioned earlier! and the guide was less than 19.99 and the coupon worked!

[quote name='Indiana']I was able to get in on this "deal" today. We started off on the wrong foot the cashier looks at my $5 off a game $19.99 more and says it's expired it says 12/31 on it. I look at it and say yes it's 12/31/05.

She then scans the coupon and my two games. One is $19.99 the other is $4.99. She then looks at the screen and says it should not have taken this off of both games. I just wait around for her to do whatever and she says the total is $15.89.

I still got the deal but the cashier used one of those return type sheets for a receipt. So, I'm guessing this won't last long, since they keep a copy for themselves and staple the coupon to it.[/quote]

I get the yellow receipt too sometimes when I use the GGC, but I don't think that means they'll end the deal soon. The coupons are still good until the end of 2005, so I think we're all good until at least then.

THIS IS FOR DEVIL CUSTOMERS ONLY!!!

Ok just did this for the 3rd time & for you "really" CAG's here's a list of some of the better items regularly Priced $9.99 or less.

NOTE: I've changed the prices to reflect what i payed with the $5 off GGC!!!

Gamecube 12 Disc Mini Holder $1.99 - This thing is super cute & small. A must for GC owners.

Metal Arms GC $5 - Also saw both Xbox & Ps2 versions for same price.

Crash Wrath of Cortex GC FREE!!

Ribbit King Ps2 $5

Didn't buy the following but they were also $9.99 before GGC.

Some 3rd Party Ps2 dvd remote
Rocky Ps2
Smugglers Run Ps2
Stuntman Ps2
Front Mission 4 Ps2 ($14.99)
Timesplitters 2 GC
Some 3rd Party GC memory Card
Advance Wars 2 Gba
Star Wars Clone Wars Strategy Guide ($2.99)
Celebrity Deathmatch Xbox & Ps2
Fishermans Bait Ps2

Also i'm assuming it would be possible to Return the $14.99 game you paid for,get your money back & keep the $4.99 game you got free.

[quote name='captaincold']THIS IS FOR DEVIL CUSTOMERS ONLY!!!

Ok just did this for the 3rd time & for you "really" CAG's here's a list of some of the better items regularly Priced $9.99 or less.

NOTE: I've changed the prices to reflect what i payed with the $5 off GGC!!!

Gamecube 12 Disc Mini Holder $1.99 - This thing is super cute & small. A must for GC owners.

Metal Arms GC $5 - Also saw both Xbox & Ps2 versions for same price.

Crash Wrath of Cortex GC FREE!!

Ribbit King Ps2 $5

Didn't buy the following but they were also $9.99 before GGC.

Some 3rd Party Ps2 dvd remote
Rocky Ps2
Smugglers Run Ps2
Stuntman Ps2
Front Mission 4 Ps2 ($14.99)
Timesplitters 2 GC
Some 3rd Party GC memory Card
Advance Wars 2 Gba
Star Wars Clone Wars Strategy Guide ($2.99)
Celebrity Deathmatch Xbox & Ps2
Fishermans Bait Ps2

Also i'm assuming it would be possible to Return the $14.99 game you paid for,get your money back & keep the $4.99 game you got free.[/quote]

Hmm.. some good trading fodder..

Now I just wish I could find a 2005 $19.99 card at my BB. I guess we're a devil store and they are cutting back. Mine only has the $29.99 cards. Anyone tried with these just for the hell of it?

Okay, so I've heard two different things. For the people who got this to work, did the cashier have to scan the coupon once, or twice?

[quote name='Trakan']Okay, so I've heard two different things. For the people who got this to work, did the cashier have to scan the coupon once, or twice?[/quote]

Once, with one coupon.

[quote name='Trakan']Okay, so I've heard two different things. For the people who got this to work, did the cashier have to scan the coupon once, or twice?[/quote]

Only once... the software did the deed . The cashier did nothing wrong.

I've never bought two games at once, but back when Front Mission 4 got marked down to 14.99, I used the ggc and got 5$ off. I'm pretty sure the cashier had no clue, and just rang up the coupon. A smarter cashier would have probably told me I couldn't use it.

So, I'm pretty sure the "system" doesn't care what the price of the game is.

I haven't had that happen to me and I've bought double items like that lately. But I'll tell you one thing...............I'm going to try again.

im not usually one to be all, "thats not right" on any "deal" thats going on, but IMO, this isn't right

explanation: Best Buy hates us "devil customers" and they have stopped the GGC that is "$19.99 and up" at a lot of areas....because, well, they don't care for us "devil customers" abusing the card....that said, we were never abusing the card, their are no rules to buying a GiftCard for yourself as a gift to yourself...and then using right after the initial purchase of the GGC, but when you deliberately go in there to scam a cashier and best buy, thats wrong IMO...why? because I'd be happy enough to be able to use the $5 off on $19.99 games and ALWAYS be able to get $19.99 games for $14.99 at BB....some of you would rather get a FEW $9.99 or $14.99 games for $4.99 or $9.99...I say a few because when BB finds out whats going on, and they will (soon, if not already), they're just going to end the whole GGC or be very, very strick on it....

so for now, nothing has happened to effect me...but when it does, thanks guys :wink:

i love buying games at full price :roll: this is cheap ass gamer, afterall...or wait, is it cheapassgetawaywither?

Just to further confirm this, I went to BB to buy Suikoden IV, I also saw Advance Wars 2 for $10, and I purchased a GGC and put $5 credit on it. When I made my purchase, both games were marked $5 from the one coupon, so I'm gonna go back later and buy hunter the reckoning and a few other $10 with another GGC.

[quote name='The Successful Dropout']im not usually one to be all, "thats not right" on any "deal" thats going on, but IMO, this isn't right

explanation: Best Buy hates us "devil customers" and they have stopped the GGC that is "$19.99 and up" at a lot of areas....because, well, they don't care for us "devil customers" abusing the card....that said, we were never abusing the card, their are no rules to buying a GiftCard for yourself as a gift to yourself...and then using right after the initial purchase of the GGC, but when you deliberately go in there to scam a cashier and best buy, thats wrong IMO...why? because I'd be happy enough to be able to use the $5 off on $19.99 games and ALWAYS be able to get $19.99 games for $14.99 at BB....some of you would rather get a FEW $9.99 or $14.99 games for $4.99 or $9.99...I say a few because when BB finds out whats going on, and they will (soon, if not already), they're just going to end the whole GGC or be very, very strick on it....

so for now, nothing has happened to effect me...but when it does, thanks guys :wink:

i love buying games at full price :roll: this is cheap ass gamer, afterall...or wait, is it cheapassgetawaywither?[/quote]

I totally respect your opinion but there's some issues i have with Best Buy.

Me being the OP let me say that instead of saying "computer glitch" in the title i should have worded it "un-trained cashier error" which is what it really is. As a company your responsible for everything that goes on in your store. If the cashiers are "stupid", that's a problem with the training & it's not the customer's fault that they don't take 10 seconds to look at the GGC & look at the screen carefully when things are rung up.

Also this whole "put $1-$5 on a Giftcard just to get the $5 off GGC " went on ALL OF LAST YEAR and for them not to notice that considering they're a Billion Dollar Company is there own fault & they actually released the new GGC which shows that they don't care.

[quote name='captaincold'].

Me being the OP let me say that instead of saying "computer glitch" in the title i should have worded it "un-trained cashier error" which is what it really is. As a company your responsible for everything that goes on in your store. If the cashiers are "stupid", that's a problem with the training & it's not the customer's fault that they don't take 10 seconds to look at the GGC & look at the screen carefully when things are rung up.
[/quote]

But it is a computer glitch because the $5 off is applied to every item in the transaction. In the previous card it would only be applied to one item.

[quote name='BULL_Ship'][quote name='captaincold'].

[/quote]

But it is a computer glitch because the $5 off is applied to every item in the transaction. In the previous card it would only be applied to one item.[/quote]

Your right about last years ggc, it didn't have the same good fortunes when i've done this.

But a screen pops up that states that the GGC is only for $19.99 games or up. If the cashier takes 5 seconds to look at the screen & a game is now $0.00 & that doesn't raise a red flag well then that shows me that these people are grossly undertrained or just don't give a damn because they hate BB just like most people.

It's not like this is some third party promotional coupon or something that some BB employees might not know about. This is a BB coupon, and BB employees should be intimately familiar with it and any of its issues. Any error the cashiers allow to happen with this coupon are strictly their fault, not the customer's.

Status
Not open for further replies.
bread's done
Back