Possible Game Crazy March Deal!

halomasterchief

CAG Veteran
Hey I work at game crazy and there is rumor that all MVP members will get 30 % of all used games in march. It is not a done deal. But if it does happen MVP members will be getting a better deal than the people that work at Game Crazy. Oh the MVP membership isn't free though it is 20 bucks for a year. But if you buy your games at Game Crazy you probably already have the membership.

Sounds like a ploy to sell some memberships....................

Although, for $20, I may be persuaded to get one if they don't have outrageous prices like Gamestop.

Watch out for these bullsh*t "club" cards. Especially this one. Do the math on these before you buy them. If you only get a 10% discount and you are paying $20 for the card, that means you have to spend a total of $200 dollars BEFORE you start to benefit from the discount. (Remember 10% of $200 is $$20 which is what you are paying UP FRONT!) The money you are saving on the initial $200 is money YOU ALREADY PAID THEM!

Do the math CAGers.

Now if they actually are going to do the 30% off promotion, then it might be worth your while. But still, do the math first.

$20 and no magazine subscription?

Pay half that at EB and get a heads up on any big sales they have in GMR

[quote name='daphatty']Watch out for these bullsh*t "club" cards. Especially this one. Do the math on these before you buy them. If you only get a 10% discount and you are paying $20 for the card, that means you have to spend a total of $200 dollars BEFORE you start to benefit from the discount. (Remember 10% of $200 is $$20 which is what you are paying UP FRONT!) The money you are saving on the initial $200 is money YOU ALREADY PAID THEM!

Do the math CAGers.

Now if they actually are going to do the 30% off promotion, then it might be worth your while. But still, do the math first.[/quote]

I have a MVP card there from last year and I couldn't agree more. Be careful and think out what the savings are versus the benefits. You also get +10% on trade ins as well as free entry in tournaments and some other misc promotions, so that can be taken into account as well. I got mine last year because they were offering $35 credit on a whole set of games for MVP members, and basically it was worth it for that alone for me.

Hey, if you're in Knoxville, TN, you know how much Game Crazy sucks with that jackass Aussie manager. Feel sorry for those guys who work there.

The $20/year thing is just too steep, epseically when you look at EB, and they at least send you a free magazine, too. That and the Game Crazy manager keeps trying to choke it down your throat.

At gamecrazy the employees get $5 for every mvp sold, but they have to sell 30 a month per store to get that bonus money. I used to work there so I know it sucks ass to try to sell that many cards (that is one of the reasons I quit.) yeah there is no reason to pay that much money up front, if you think about it. They buy used games for a fraction of what they sell them for then they charge you $20 to get a 10% discount on games they have marked up almost 1000 percent more than they bought them for. Example a ps disc they buy for maybe $1 and they sell for $11 that is a $10 mark up and you save $1 of that. So if you buy a lot of USED games and have no other way to get them then this is kinda a good deal.

The only reasons these cards exist because they are much like mail in rebates, the comapnies hope you forget about and they end up reeking nothing but free money.

It is a bit expensive.. But They give more trade in credit for games.. So with 30% plus the extra % they give for trade in... Of course the math will kick in first.. But some of thier prices arent too bad..

I can also confirm this 30% off all used games for the MVP event for March. Just so the guy knows that quit, it's now $4 for each mvp or warranty sold and $1 for every pre-order, you have to have 30 mvp's and/or warranty's to get commission and 30 pre-orders to get commission every month. MVP's are a good deal if you trade in a lot of crap and buy used games especially newer used games that sell for 10 dollars less than new one's so it saves you 14.00 plus tax of course but still. If you figure you buy 5 used games at 35.99 over the course of the year. You have made your money back on the card. Most cardholders trade in a bunch of old junk they don't want anymore or they buy a lot of used games or trade in a ps2 for an xbox, type of thing.

Even though it probably sounded like it I wasn't just trying to get MVP sales. Our store has no problems selling MVP's we are one of the top stores in the country.

But the truth is if you buy 2 $39.99 games in march you will already have saved 24 dollars. I was really just trying to let you guys know it is a really good deal.

[quote name='halomasterchief']Even though it probably sounded like it I wasn't just trying to get MVP sales. Our store has no problems selling MVP's we are one of the top stores in the country.

But the truth is if you buy 2 $39.99 games in march you will already have saved 24 dollars. I was really just trying to let you guys know it is a really good deal.[/quote]

Care to share the math with us on this? How do you save $24 on an $80 purchase? Using the MVP card that costs us an additional $20? Please shed some light here.

[quote name='daphatty'][quote name='halomasterchief']Even though it probably sounded like it I wasn't just trying to get MVP sales. Our store has no problems selling MVP's we are one of the top stores in the country.

But the truth is if you buy 2 $39.99 games in march you will already have saved 24 dollars. I was really just trying to let you guys know it is a really good deal.[/quote]

Care to share the math with us on this? How do you save $24 on an $80 purchase? Using the MVP card that costs us an additional $20? Please shed some light here.[/quote]

...ok, you save $4 then, and then have an entire year to save some money on games. Dont forget thier one of the few remaining places to carry snes and genesis now

" 2 $39.99 games in march you will already have saved 24 dollars. "

79.98 X 0.3 = 22.19

Common do the math here ppl.

Although he was overestimating, he was closer to it then the rest.

Here's the link to a thread that I started on Game Crazy, as well as the responses to it.

http://cheapassgamer.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=7334&highlight=

And don't forget you get 2 free rentals with the MVP card, which is around a $12 value. When I joined the other day, I saved $3 on 2 used games, and got $5 extra on 4 games I traded in. Only $3 more and I'll break even, and that won't be hard to do. I think it's a pretty good deal.

Your cheap ass deal did not go unnoticed my friend. Thank you for letting me know about this. I like the GameCrazy near me and like buying from them. Saving 30% on all used video games sounds like a really great deal to me.

GameCrazy also has real good deals on used video games as well. Thank you halomasterchief for bringing up this great deal.

[quote name='Wshakspear']79.98 X .3 = 23.99
try that again[/quote]

OIC, that's assuming the 30% sale is real. Ok. So you save roughly $24. WRONG! You save $4 because the damn card you bought cost an additional $20! Let's see, I have to spend $80 to save $24 but it cost me $20 in order to get the savings. :roll: And that's with the one time 30% sale. Usually, it's only a 10% savings. Save your money people. It's not worth it.

Hey daphatty, if you have nothing to actually contribute to this thread, maybe it's best you just get the hell out of here? All halomasterchief is doing is providing information about a possible upcoming sale at GameCrazy, which isn't farfetched in my opinion. Stop getting on his case please, thank you.

This is just my own personal experience. I got a Gamecrazy MVP card last summer. Used it maybe twice, possibly three times. Never had a use for it again. The GCs around me have very little selection and the games are usually in bad shape. I didn't get my money's worth, but then again it's one of those YMMV things (I do buy a lot of games, though and have more than gotten my investment on GameStop and GMR cards - not to mention you get a subscription with those two).

[quote name='UlysisAM']Hey daphatty, if you have nothing to actually contribute to this thread, maybe it's best you just get the hell out of here? All halomasterchief is doing is providing information about a possible upcoming sale at GameCrazy, which isn't farfetched in my opinion. Stop getting on his case please, thank you.[/quote]

I am not attacking halomasterchief. I am attacking the myth that discount cards (that you have to pay for) are really a good deal. They are not. Read my posts. Do the math. The logic is there. Get off halomasterchief's nuts. :p J/K

[quote name='daphatty'][quote name='UlysisAM']Hey daphatty, if you have nothing to actually contribute to this thread, maybe it's best you just get the hell out of here? All halomasterchief is doing is providing information about a possible upcoming sale at GameCrazy, which isn't farfetched in my opinion. Stop getting on his case please, thank you.[/quote]

I am not attacking halomasterchief. I am attacking the myth that discount cards (that you have to pay for) are really a good deal. They are not. Read my posts. Do the math. The logic is there. Get off halomasterchief's nuts. :p J/K[/quote]

Sometimes, they can be a good deal, it just depends on one's buying habits. The same is true of warehouse clubs like Sam's or Costco. I agree that one should definitely do the math before signing up. They are rarely as good a deal as the salespeople try to make them seem, but sometimes one can save some money with them.

[quote name='UlysisAM']I'm not on anyone's nuts. Maybe you need to be a little less negative, ever think that is the problem?[/quote]

You need to lighten up buddy. Go get laid or something cause you are WAY too tense.

[quote name='UlysisAM']Yes, I need to lighten up, considering you're the one trolling this thread, spreading your negativity here.[/quote]

Hahahaha! Takes one to know one pal!

Isn't it ironic how hypocritical you've become. First you critisized me for attacking someone (which I wasn't doing), then you attacked me directly because you disagree with my logic (or was it the fact that I poked some lighthearted fun in your direction.) Come on guy. Let it go.

EB used to have a decent discount card program, but they got rid of it in favor of the one they have now... you used to be able to get 10% off everything, new and used stuff but now it's just used games and accessories :(

Sorry, but even a 30% off sale for one month on used games would not prompt me to pay for a membership to Gamecrazy. For one, the one near me has crap for used games, and they are all beat to hell usually, and priced $5.00 less than a brand new version and two, the people that work in the one near me are assholes. They just stand around talking to each other, complaining about how much their paycheck sucked and how they hate the customers. One time their district manager was in the store working, and he ignored customers better than all the low level guys. They may also be one of the few stores to carry genesis and snes and N64 games still, but the prices they want for them are outrageous. Most come without boxes or instructions and just the cart with their price tags all over it, and run about the same price or higher than I can get them on ebay with all the original packaging. Rip off.

[quote name='halomasterchief']Ok I guess this will be the last time I post a cheap ass deal I guess.[/quote]

I'm glad you posted this deal. I'm definately going to take advantage of it.

i don't know why everyone hates game crazy, i agree that 20 is a little steep. but my game crazy has lots of specials that give mvp members 20 % off on games and sometimes 30 % depends on month, also as far as selling your games back to the game stores my game crazy kicks eb's and gamestop's ass, by like 5-10 dollars extra a game and thats before the extra 10% extra you get for being a member. Maybe I am just lucky and have a good store near me but i usually buy most of my games from them for the simple fact that all of the used games sell for about 10 dollars less then eb games. for example deus ex:IW when it was first released about a week later they had used copies for 35.99. same game at ebgames and gs was 44.99.

i guess this is an argument that is really going to be based on the local stores in your area. all of them try to screw you, thats a fact that most of us have learned to deal with. i prefer game crazy, but i understand that not all stores throughout the country operate the same.

Well It all depends on what you are buying also. As everyone should know by now, if you are indeed a true CAG then you don't buy all your games from 1 store. So there is no reason to complain about which store is better. Game Crazy has times when it's better for such and such a game for trade value or for sale value. EB and Gamestop the same. I will say that greatest hits games normally are 14.99 or 12.99 at Game Crazy while 17.99 at EB and Gamestop. However, Gamestop and EB are normally the quicker one's for price drops. SO hand in hand, it all depends on what your buying, when your buying it, and whether or not you are a true CAG or not. True CAG's shop around, enough said.

But yes discount cards can work out to good deals, its not like you have to use it only in one month, its for a whole year. There is no game crazy near me, and I personally dont think I would buy enough games to make it worthwhile, but 30% off is damn good.

well my cos got his discount card with his xbox, that came w/ JSRF/Sega GT 2000, and Shenmue 2 all for 165.

My GC always has some crazy deal like 20% extra in trade (they already give good cred for games), 30% of,f buy 2 get one free, and a monthly torney :) now 20 is steep, but their are other ways of getting it and right now that deal will have me saving a ton of money thanks halomasterchief!!

Only prob with my GC is that all the people tat work there are assholes :(

Not sure why people are so down on Game Crazy. Their selection isn't as good as some of the other store and some of their prices are too high, but other are pretty good. Here are some examples of deals I've found
Suikoden 12.99
Grandia 12.99
Chrono Cross 9.99
Zelda Master Quest 7.99
Prices for these games at EBgames and Gamestop are roughly twice as much.
Also on newer used titles alot of the games are about 10% less then the other store before using dicount cards.
I wasn't going to get the card either but I was planning on trading some games in anyway so I got the card. Traded in 40 dollars worth of game so the 10% on the trade and 10% on the game was $8 I figure I'll save $12 more by the end of the year. Plus he gave my three of the four Final Fantasy Crystal Chronicle buttons they didn't have the fourth one and a hand full of 20% off coupons. Also pickup a free Super Monkey Ball Plush doll from one of the other store just asked the manager if I could buy one and he gave me one for free which was pretty cool.
Overall I've been very happy Game Crazy but I can say the same thing for most Gamestops and EBgames I've shopped at. Im general I say if you're not happy with a stores prices wait till it's cheaper or go somewhere else an get it for less.

Can we get an update on this? I was in a Game Crazy tonight (first time), and they said they didn't know anything about it, but they were actually quite nice about it, and said that just because they hadn't been informed about it didn't mean it wasn't going to happen. They didn't pressure me at all, and they allowed me to put 2 games on hold. I really want the games (Gitaroo-Man and Golden Sun: The Lost Age, both complete, $19.99 each), but I'd like to get the 30% off if possible (yes, I realize that will mean I actually have to pay more because I'd have to buy the membership first).

Please update and let us know when the 30% off is supposed to happen (perhaps it is only in a limited number of markets?). Thanks.

[quote name='guessed']Can we get an update on this? I was in a Game Crazy tonight (first time), and they said they didn't know anything about it, but they were actually quite nice about it, and said that just because they hadn't been informed about it didn't mean it wasn't going to happen. They didn't pressure me at all, and they allowed me to put 2 games on hold. I really want the games (Gitaroo-Man and Golden Sun: The Lost Age, both complete, $19.99 each), but I'd like to get the 30% off if possible (yes, I realize that will mean I actually have to pay more because I'd have to buy the membership first).

Please update and let us know when the 30% off is supposed to happen (perhaps it is only in a limited number of markets?). Thanks.[/quote]

Someone posted about this. I believe the deal is 30% off of used sports titles the last week of March. I'll look for the link and post it here.

EDIT: Here's the link :
http://www.cheapassgamer.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=8815

[quote name='spookyhurst'][quote name='guessed']Can we get an update on this? I was in a Game Crazy tonight (first time), and they said they didn't know anything about it, but they were actually quite nice about it, and said that just because they hadn't been informed about it didn't mean it wasn't going to happen. They didn't pressure me at all, and they allowed me to put 2 games on hold. I really want the games (Gitaroo-Man and Golden Sun: The Lost Age, both complete, $19.99 each), but I'd like to get the 30% off if possible (yes, I realize that will mean I actually have to pay more because I'd have to buy the membership first).

Please update and let us know when the 30% off is supposed to happen (perhaps it is only in a limited number of markets?). Thanks.[/quote]

Someone posted about this. I believe the deal is 30% off of used sports titles the last week of March. I'll look for the link and post it here.

EDIT: Here's the link :
http://www.cheapassgamer.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=8815[/quote]

Thanks spooky. I had actually read that post a week ago, and I completely forgot about it, stupid brain. I guess I'm going to have to bite the bullet and buy the games at $20 a pop (I'm still upset about not finding Gitaroo-Man in the CC sale).

Look, here's the deal with Game Crazy and all other cards:

If you spend a lot of money on used games, all the cards are going to work to your advantage. I could be wrong, but I'm guessing that the point of the cards is to get you in their store. If you have an EB card, their logic is "why would they go to Gamestop when they can save 10% here?".

I know a guy who has bought more than $3,000 worth of games at Gamestop over the last year. He saved $290 and I laugh in Gamestop's face if they think they ripped him off becasue he would have spent that money there anyway.

The problem with Game Crazy:
1) They charge double the already-established $10 rate of Gamestop and EB's cards
2) You get no free magazine subscription
3) They preach their "bonus offers" like gospel - the ones that change every month. Granted, sometimes they have really good deals, but other times their deals are crap. This past month you get a free hat with pre-order if you have MVP? Look, we are all somewhere on the nerd scale here just being a part of this thread, but can anybody here honestly say they can imagine any situation other than Halloween when you would WANT to be seen in public wearing a Game Crazy hat? Even though they "promise" great deals in the future, it makes you feel like you're being taken.
4) They post their January deals in the middle of January "All month long, games are XYZ% off", February deals in the middle of February, and here we are on March 6 arguing about what the March deal is "going to be". They don't have their crap together and if they're going to sell you a bonus card under the auspices of having monthly deals, then the Feb deal needs to start when the Jan deal ends and so on. I do not feel that they keep up their half of the bargain.

Those are my problems with Game Crazy. You can't just buy a card and say "this is what I have". You have to play their little game all the time. And in the end they determine whether you have something of any value from month to month or whether they're going to use their card as a vehicle to get rid of their extra crap.

Even still, if you spend enough money on used games and if you are foolish enough to trade in your games at a game store, just do the math and be thankful for the fact that the numbers fall in your favor.

This past month you get a free hat with pre-order if you have MVP? Look, we are all somewhere on the nerd scale here just being a part of this thread, but can anybody here honestly say they can imagine any situation other than Halloween when you would WANT to be seen in public wearing a Game Crazy hat?

FREE HAT! FREE HAT!
Tweak: Oh jesus dude!

[quote name='chosen1s'] Even still, if you spend enough money on used games and if you are foolish enough to trade in your games at a game store, just do the math and be thankful for the fact that the numbers fall in your favor.[/quote]

*hangs head in shame*

Sometimes it works out good though, I bought Spyro (PS2) new for $10, beat it, and sold it to Game Crazy for $20. But yesterday, I only got $8 for Ape Escape 2. Regardless, I've recouped the cost of my MVP card in just a month, so for the next 11 months it's gravy.

Wow, so much hate for Game Crazy. Not only do they GIVE more store credit for used games, but there prices are almost always cheaper. Example: James Bond : Everything or Nothing. Trade-IN $28, to purchase used, $39.99. EB Trade-In $20 (Must be COMPLETE and MINT), to buy, $44.99.... Hmm...something wrong there?

So the MVP card...
$20 for 1 full year. You can pay in either cash or store credit. If I were to use the example above, the card would cost $5 (comparing to if you used 10% more for the trade-in, and 10% off the used game). Boy, that card DOES suck? But wait! You don't get the free magazine subscription!!!1!!!!111!!! OH NO!

BTW, the MVP special for March (atleast in my district) is 30% off used and 20% off new SELECT Sports games. I will confirm this tomorrow when I go into work (Im a store manager by the way, and am very good friends with all the local EBs and GameStops, so I know my prices are accurate from what they have told me over the phone and in person)

P.S. Yes, the Hats did suck. Whoever though of that idea needs to be shot.

bread's done
Back