Possible hint at 3DS game prices

laaj

CAGiversary!
Found this on Kotaku: http://kotaku.com/5696016/3ds-games-wont-send-developers-broke-but

According to Harvest Moon publisher Marvelous Entertainment, Nintendo 3DS games cost — depending on the title — between ¥70,000,000 (US$838,976) at minimum and ¥100,005,000 ($1,198,598) at max.... ¥40,000,000 ($479,415) for high-end Nintendo DS development costs.

We all know Harvest Moon doesn't have that big of a budget but it is about double of that of a high-end DS game. With potential major 3DS titles costing whole lot more. I think it is a done deal that 3DS games will cost more than DS games.

http://www.ripten.com/2010/07/26/michael-pachter-3ds-games-will-cost-more-sam-n/

“From a software perspective, we believe Nintendo will be able to increase DS software prices, from a blended average of around $25 today to over $29 next year.”

I say probably no more than what a PSP game is costing, somewhere between $35 to $40. Which makes me think, damn, how much will a PSP2 game cost?

Didn't Nintendo already say that 3DS games were going to be more expensive? I wasn't caught off-guard by that either: the 3D development costs are high, so I'm not surprised costs of the games would go up.

They're likely going to be $40, since a lot of DS games are either $30 or $35.

[quote name='Altanis']They're likely going to be $40, since a lot of DS games are either $30 or $35.[/QUOTE]
In that case, 3DS games with the Square Enix Tax will probably be $45 or $50 ;)

[quote name='blueshinra']In that case, 3DS games with the Square Enix Tax will probably be $45 or $50 ;)[/QUOTE]

Don't forget about the Nintendo tax on all the Mario and etc games.

Dev costs have been going up at least 2-3x per hardware cycle since the advent of the industry, so that by itself doesnt indicate that retail prices are going to go up. What it is indicative of is that the industry continues to run from math. The gaming population as well as unit sales/revenue have been increasing all this time, but by a much smaller and steadier amount. Everyone is necessarily going to be in a more precarious situation with 3DS over how they were with DS.

bread's done
Back