Possible issue with the HDtv I bought on Black Friday already

As many of you know, I said I would 'never buy an HDtv cuz HD is a scam, blah blah blah'. Well, I did cave in and finally buy a true HDtv on Black Friday since I had a ton of credit at BB from trading games in there.

I've only really been using this tv for gaming as of now and I've noticed this issue at least 2-4 times since I've had the tv.

What happens is when I'm shutting down the PS3 I'll get a line of pixels that turn whitish grey on the right hand side of the tv about an inch or two from the top of the screen. The line of pixels is probably around 3-4" or so long and VERY noticeable. It only really happens for a second or two at most.

I've also had this same issue pop up on the left hand side of the screen 1-2x during the PS3's shutdown procedure at different times than this issue.

The model number of the tv I bought is TC-L32C3 and the brand is a Panasonic. I bought it since I've had pretty good luck with this brand of tv, since I still own a 20" SDtv by them that I have in my bedroom for watching the lil bit of tv I still do watch.

So should I take this HDtv back to BB or is this a common occurence on HDtv's when shutting down a game console such as a PS3/360?

TL;DR version: Bought an HDtv, it's displaying a line of pixels on one side or the other of the screen when my PS3 goes to shut down. It only happens for maybe a second or two.

Could this tv be screwed up and should I take it back to BB before their return period is done?

that's normal for certain TVs to do this, it depends on the brand, and Bestbuy will not exchange the TV because of this the geeks will need to check it out and find that its normal .the reason I no its normal is because I'm a comcast tech and we get customers complaining over stuff like this all the time with cable boxes as long as its not doing it constantly while using the TV you are good....certain brands see em to have this problem..

also don't buy cheap HDMI cables try and stay in the middle price wise seems that cheap HDMI cables cause problems also..

[quote name='mont345']also don't buy cheap HDMI cables try and stay in the middle price wise seems that cheap HDMI cables cause problems also..[/QUOTE]
...I dont believe this is true at all. I've never had a problem with any HDMI cable and I don't think I've ever paid over $4 or so for one. Obviously that could just be me but I think the consensus is an HDMI cable is an HDMI cable (assuming the same version)

I guess maybe if he happened to have a defective or somewhat broken one it could happen? Maybe try a different $1 HDMI cable but other than that I doubt a cheap cable is his problem.

An HDMI cable is an HDMI cable if it gets a clean connection. Obvious with any manufactured item there is a chance of faulty equipment and the cheap cables have a higher chance. I use cheap cables too, but I wouldn't necessarily rule it out. I did have a problem with a faulty DVI cable one time that caused weird screen defects.

Having said that, if changing cables doesn't completely eliminate your symptoms I'd return the TV immediately. I have 3 Panasonic TVs (Plasma, yours has to be LCD at that size), and have never had an issue with a line of pixels malfunctioning. And I've played my PS3 on all of them at some point.

I think that's just "noise" from the game system shut down process. Many TVs do that because there's no specific way to process that noise signal... SDTV and HDTV. If you don't see it while you're gaming or watching, I wouldn't worry about it.

I don't think this is a problem at all, I have the same TV you do (its pretty ironic we bought the same TV) and there is a horizontal line when the game system turns off but I have never seen it as an issue. It goes away in a second. I attribute it to the same as my computer monitor buzzing a bit when I turn it off, and I have never had an issue with my monitor. Though I have never had a line on the left side, again though, I wouldn't worry about it. You get a year warranty on the TV through Panasonic too.

[quote name='mont345']also don't buy cheap HDMI cables try and stay in the middle price wise seems that cheap HDMI cables cause problems also..[/QUOTE]

This is all the proof I need that you work for Comcast.

When I get turn my PS3 off I get a whole screen of what looks like digital colored snow. I just ignore it as it goes away shortly after. Although that maybe related to my receiver.

[quote name='Zaku77']I'm sorry, I couldn't get past HD is a scam. That made my morning.[/QUOTE]

HAHA, yep! I think that statement the OP made instantly summed the situation up in my mind. He obviously has no clue what he is doing.

If I were you, I wouldnt worry about it. Nothing to see here...move along...

I have a 42" LG Plasma, but my last TV was a 32" Panasonic Viera (LCD, like yours is I am assuming). it is just random noise from your game system when it is shutting down or starting up. The biggest clue is the fact that it only happens when you start up or shut down the system. That should definitely be a clue... When you start up/shut down, power surges through the system and creates a little "noise." The TV interprets this noise as a white line of pixels on the left or right side of your TV. The simplest explanation is usually the most correct.

Easiest way to check is to take your PS3 to a buddy's house who has a flatscreen and try it there and see that it does the same thing. I honestly wouldnt worry about it though...and if you are worried, then you are probably thinking about it too much (or dont have enough to do with your time).

I know how it is when you get a new toy...dont get fingerprints on it...dont scratch it...etc. You are worrying about nothing IMHO.

HDTV's are so worth it, I can't imagine going back to my CRT for DVD's and TV at least. Even though I still have my CRT so I can play my old game systems, it works fine for that purpose. VHS also looks good on it. The best thing about it is there is no glare since the screen has a matte finish, that alone is worth the price of the TV for me at least.

I'm actually using a Sony brand HDMI cable from one of the HDMI/USB to mini USB packs that were $39.99 but that many stores clearanced to $4 a while ago. So hopefully that's not the issue, since besides those, I only have the ones I paid $1 each for from eBay or $1.49 from Blockbuster and those are some off brand like the eBay ones I think.
[quote name='SaraAB']I don't think this is a problem at all, I have the same TV you do (its pretty ironic we bought the same TV) and there is a horizontal line when the game system turns off but I have never seen it as an issue. It goes away in a second. I attribute it to the same as my computer monitor buzzing a bit when I turn it off, and I have never had an issue with my monitor. Though I have never had a line on the left side, again though, I wouldn't worry about it. You get a year warranty on the TV through Panasonic too.[/QUOTE]
Only problem with the year's warranty is I've read in multiple places that Panasonic would require me to physically take the tv to a repair center of theirs if something were to happen.

I've checked for the state of PA and it does list two of them, but with no physical address listed for them, so knowing my luck it'd be in Philly or something which is a 2 hour drive from here.:whistle2:#

You could squaretrade warranty the TV if you are that worried about it. I personally won't be purchasing a warranty for my TV, I am not sure about squaretrade, they seem to get rave reviews but I have heard of problems with them. The only good news if you had a problem you could post bad reviews about squaretrade on a website like epinions and you would probably get service.

[quote name='IAmTheCheapestGamer']
Only problem with the year's warranty is I've read in multiple places that Panasonic would require me to physically take the tv to a repair center of theirs if something were to happen.

I've checked for the state of PA and it does list two of them, but with no physical address listed for them, so knowing my luck it'd be in Philly or something which is a 2 hour drive from here.:whistle2:#[/QUOTE]

I believe this has to do with the size of your TV. 37 inch and below require you to take them somewhere, where as anything bigger they send someone out. Something to keep in mind with these things I suppose.

this is legit, also make sure to only use first party controllers, using third party controllers will delete your saves and will cause the disc in the system to spin so fast that it shatters and shoots pieces of the disc into the room.

As others have said, it's normal. Mine sometimes does it and I've had mine for four years or so now.

bread's done
Back