Possible System Update - GameStop Starting to Scrutinize Multiple Trade-In's (?)

[quote name='Vader582']I'm not really sure why you care so much but I'll bite.
Have you ever been to a flea market??!?!
There are tons of sellers that comb Target and other store's clearance weekly.
There's no law against buying low and selling high, yet.
You're pulling all our legs right? If so, :applause:.[/QUOTE]
I don't care, someone mentioned that pawnshops do this and I responded. If I didn't respond would that mean I care too little?

No, I haven't been to a flea market in a long time, but I'm sure you're 100% correct. What does that prove though? A flea market isn't a retailer, or even a pawn shop for that matter. When you're appealing to flea markets, you are no longer in the realm of "well, this is exactly what a store would do", which is what the whole discussion was about.

Whatever. You're posting on an Internet message board on a Tuesday afternoon. Since you're a hard-working 9-to-5er, you're probably like the people I work with who are quick to call other people lazy, but then surf the Web while at work.
This would be a great point, but I'm off work all week! I do make an occasional post at work, but I'd like to think my posting history vindicates me of "lazy accusations"

[quote name='eastshore4']
This would be a great point, but I'm off work all week! I do make an occasional post at work, but I'd like to think my posting history vindicates me of "lazy accusations"[/QUOTE]
A week off? Get out there and flip some games!

I still regret missing Fairytale fights, Sudoku Ball Detective and Nerf. I always learn about these things a day after.. blah!

[quote name='eastshore4']Let's not mince words, we're all [highlight]twenty-somethings[/highlight] looking for easy money and picking at scraps...[/QUOTE]

Speak for yourself, man ;).

[quote name='MasterSun1']Why so many copies? No legitimate job? They have every right to ban resellers/hoarders.[/QUOTE]

These posts piss me off the most. Legitimate Job? Why is it better to go work your ass off when you could get it for not working your ass off? Even if you aren't working your ass off. Would you rather drive to a store listening to the radio or go to work for x amount of time to cover the same cost.

Stupid logic if you ask me.

[quote name='eastshore4']Let's not mince words, we're all twenty-somethings......[/QUOTE]

Speak for yourself. I was a twenty something about 10+ years ago. Unfortunately, I no longer am.:cry:
[quote name='eastshore4']Screwing average-joe customers is the clear point of contention for many on here, and although I'm a flipper in some respects I cannot disagree with this. Again, I don't deny its easy money, but I think it's silly to say it's a respectful enterprise... there's really no justification for it... it's lazy, it hardly requires any effort(particuarily when you're just flipping it to a B&M store who's doing all the legwork), and the only real prerequisites are an access to CAG and free weekday afternoons.[/QUOTE]

Let's see. Deal with aholes on CL or Ebay who will either haggle you down or claim they never received the item. You're out money either way, between the haggling, the false claims and the fees from Ebay/Paypal.

So yeah, I'll stick to using Gamestop's trade promos on games I get cheap, as opposed to wasting time, effort and breath dealing with douchebags from the above mentioned places.

Albeit, I've met some decent buyers from CL before, but a good majority of them lowball the shit out of you right out of the gate.

I'd have to be nuts to wanna deal with that noise on a daily/weekly basis just to avoid doing things the 'lazy way' by trading it all into GS.

[quote name='eastshore4']
I think my main point remains: flipping is great for easy money, but don't be silly and try to justify it since it is truly nothing more than a cash grab. You're not "a small-scale business", you're not "sticking up for the little guy who gets screwed on regular GS trades", this is just about you and easy money, let's not pretend it's anything more..[/QUOTE]

"Easy cash grab"?

Now, I don't bother running from Best Buy to gamestop, but do you realize how much WORK running an eBay business is?

Acquiring, listing, shipping, dealing with piles of worthless questions and ridiculously low offers. Shipping, constantly making sure I have sufficient labels and envelopes on hand, and, with eBay's new rules, making sure my feedback ratings are high enough to show up well in the search engine.

THEN having to spend hours keeping the books current so that my taxes are right at the end of the year.

And the whole time, losing the space in my house that inventory takes up and having a constant pile that's not listed yet as other new stuff comes in.

Moving some games to Gamestop from Best Buy may be a quick cash grab, but if you don't think merchandise flipping is a legitimate small business, then I don't know what's been keeping a roof over my head for the last year and a half.

Pretty sure this is only local. I'm sure there's been many people who flip to GS more and never get caught. It's all about discretion.

I don't get this whole argument. The act of flipping itself is either ethically justified or not, why does it matter how much effort is or is not involved?

[quote name='chronojin']Pretty sure this is only local. I'm sure there's been many people who flip to GS more and never get caught. It's all about discretion.[/QUOTE]

No there is a system update. OP done it before and only got caught now because of the new system

[quote name='token2k6']She said if I explained to her what happened, she could try to take me off the list. So, I came clean on how Best Buy likes to sell 'free' games. I told her this wasn't my first rodeo, and told her I traded in 24 copies of Fairy Tale Fights, and another 18 copies of SBD and this was only up to 3 months ago.[/QUOTE]

Way to dime out under a little pressure...she tricked you just like a cop. I would have told her to fuck off. YOU DIDN'T DO ANYTHING ILLEGAL, so why worry?

Wait awhile for things to cool down, don't use your EDGE card, get a friend to trade for you or just go to a GS a little farther away. I really don't think you would have been forever banned from trading to GameStop as a whole for 8 copies of a game; it would take a LOT more than that, and trade-in's are their lifeblood.

At the very least you didn't have to give her a complete rundown of the whole BB thing! A simple "I got these somewhere else cheap, and have reciepts to prove it" would have stated your innocence truthfully and in a less revealing manner.

Did you give up CAG too? :bomb:

[quote name='sgaldis']
Did you give up CAG too? :bomb:[/QUOTE]

Given that there's a CAG16 online code and they sponsor contests... Im not too sure that "giving up" CAG is really an issue, it's not exactly a secret.

Wasn't so much the flipping by the OP that erked me, it was saying how GameStop flagging him was the company's loss.

Completely disagree with that statement. It's your loss as you won't have one less place to trade in those crap games that'll just sit on the racks never being sold, which is a gain for GameStop. They also don't have to give out credit for those crap games that they'll never sell.

And for darkslime, I have absolutely nothing to say to you because I don't like you and neither does the majority of GameTZ, end of story.

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='sgaldis']Way to dime out under a little pressure...she tricked you just like a cop. I would have told her to fuck off. YOU DIDN'T DO ANYTHING ILLEGAL, so why worry?

Wait awhile for things to cool down, don't use your EDGE card, get a friend to trade for you or just go to a GS a little farther away. I really don't think you would have been forever banned from trading to GameStop as a whole for 8 copies of a game; it would take a LOT more than that, and trade-in's are their lifeblood.

At the very least you didn't have to give her a complete rundown of the whole BB thing! A simple "I got these somewhere else cheap, and have reciepts to prove it" would have stated your innocence truthfully and in a less revealing manner.

Did you give up CAG too? :bomb:[/QUOTE]

haha, no, that shouldn't have been my reaction. I haven't seen this person in about 2 years, she called me out of concern. She knew I wasn't a criminal..haha, when I was working for her, living off $50 a week, I would not eat lunch just so I could by a cool $6 game that was traded in or what not. So obviously I wouldn't steal or do anything wrong.

And yeah, I gave up CAG to her, I often do to GS employees (like how I know when guides are pennied) b/c my thinking is by the time they get off shift, they will have forgotten and not bother to look it up. But honestly, I'm sure everyone there knows about CAG, like one post said, due to CAG16, but I imagine CAG has a presence at gaming events all around the world, I'm sure GS is there too. Plus, isn't there a theory of the more people who know, on the inside, they can help us out? At least that's what I'd like to think..anyways, I always like turning people onto this site b/c it helps everyone save money. If they don't check up on it, oh well.

edit: and MasterSun1, I don't think I meant it about being 'their loss' as strongly as that. I was just generalizing.. Of course I will try to trade into GameStop again. If I can't, I'm not going to feel bad about, I'll just go on with my life..

Even though I'm sure GameStop has a few employees monitoring slickdeals, fatwallet, and CAG, they must not be doing a very good job if they're giving out trade-in values of $20+ for games worth less than that.

I mean, somebody buying a used ME2 for $40-$45 and then trading it in for $56, that'll happen.

But NERF Strikewhateverajig that sells for $19.99 new getting more than for it's trade-in value? Somebody or somebodies are dropping the ball at corporate.

Your biggest mistake showing them a copy of a receipt from another store that's an instant flagging if its the same game. My sister in law is a Gs manager and told me never ever do that or they'll flag me on the spot.

[quote name='MasterSun1']Even though I'm sure GameStop has a few employees monitoring slickdeals, fatwallet, and CAG, they must not be doing a very good job if they're giving out trade-in values of $20+ for games worth less than that.

I mean, somebody buying a used ME2 for $40-$45 and then trading it in for $56, that'll happen.

But NERF Strikewhateverajig that sells for $19.99 new getting more than for it's trade-in value? Somebody or somebodies are dropping the ball at corporate.[/QUOTE]

Well, thats the price of the bundle at some stores, yes... Gamestop still has it at 39.99 new for the bundle. That being said, they only gave 8 for the game (tagged price of 27.99) and 6something for the nerf gun (tagged as a generic perfect shot) which they sell for like 17.99.

They did not give more than the retail 19.99 + tax for the gun, even with the 30% coupon + edge... though it came close... but they also did not drop the price to 19.99 either... otherwise the game would have never had that high of a TIV.

[quote name='blissskr']Your biggest mistake showing them a copy of a receipt from another store that's an instant flagging if its the same game. My sister in law is a Gs manager and told me never ever do that or they'll flag me on the spot.[/QUOTE]

tell me about it! I was only doing that b/c the game didn't scan, and everyone was convinced it was part one. thats when I'd whip out my printscreen of their own web page, which confused them even more! :lol:

at the time(s) it seemed like the only leverage I had on getting them to take the gun too. The stores that let me trade the gun, which denied at first, let me after seeing the receipt of a prior trade-in..

[quote name='MasterSun1']
And for darkslime, I have absolutely nothing to say to you because I don't like you and neither does the majority of GameTZ, end of story.[/QUOTE]In other words:

I HAVE NOTHING TO SAY TO YOU BECAUSE YOU KNOW WHAT YOU'RE TALKING ABOUT AND I DON'T SO INSTEAD I WILL JUST THINK UP A QUICK INSULT TO JUSTIFY NOT SAYING ANYTHING TO YOU

And frankly, I don't care who on GameTZ likes me.

this thread is hilarious because the guy confessed to everything in a manner of minutes due to a call from a prior gamestop employer

I would like to congratulate the original poster on living in a $100k household and also like to give the advice of never get into criminal activities because any a real detective would eat your asshole alive

also I would like to know how bestbuy gives away free games

the final thing I'd like to say is for the guy who resells games to provide for his kids: the money you are getting from reselling clearance items isn't worth the time you could be spending actually raising the kids instead

[quote name='kyleboller']this thread is hilarious because the guy confessed to everything in a manner of minutes due to a call from a prior gamestop employer

I would like to congratulate the original poster on living in a $100k household and also like to give the advice of never get into criminal activities because any a real detective would eat your asshole alive

also I would like to know how bestbuy gives away free games

the final thing I'd like to say is for the guy who resells games to provide for his kids: the money you are getting from reselling clearance items isn't worth the time you could be spending actually raising the kids instead[/QUOTE]

OMFG! Did you even READ the post .. he was talking to someone he already knows well enough to let her know whats goes on and she was really cool about it.

For that, you on your own on find on "I would like to know how bestbuy gives away free games" .. maybe the searching and READING on this forum will do you some good .. but I'm not getting my hopes up for a sorry case like yours

And that fucked up comment about reselling to provide, let me tell you this, sure you can be doing nothing and spending full time with your family and give nothing but love .. but being at home doing absolutely, providing nothing, all that is happening is that parent fast tracking an alcoholic loser, and that not love man .. maybe I'm just going by assumption how you grew up, pretty sure one of them beating by the whiskey bottles knocked a few screw loose in your head

A real parent would be WORKING or RESELLING products to provide like housing, clothing, clean safe environment, food, maybe a few toys here and there .. now that a real parent .. now you go get a chemical castration before you create more losers like yourself

NUFF SAID!

I was told that the DM for my local GS has no issue with me trading multiples, so long as I have a receipt as proof.

Now I just need to dig up my Sudoku Ball Detective receipt(which I think I kept)and take God Of War III in with 5 copies of that to pad to get to the 6 for the 40% promo.

[quote name='batman1939']:applause:[/QUOTE]

wow seriously wtf? are you that desperate for store credit? what the hell did you buy with all that store credit anyways? I'd suspend or ban you too if you were pulling that shit off. it is going to cost them more perhaps to try and get rid of this stuff than what it cost you in gas and time to get it..lol

[quote name='intoxicated662']wow seriously wtf? are you that desperate for store credit? what the hell did you buy with all that store credit anyways? I'd suspend or ban you too if you were pulling that shit off. it is going to cost them more perhaps to try and get rid of this stuff than what it cost you in gas and time to get it..lol[/QUOTE]

That was the whole point of me flipping this cheap/free shit to GS for a while, in that I knew most of the crap I was dumping they would never be able to get rid of in a billion years. But since I've become more of a regular flipper/trader and talked at length to the employees at my closest 2-3 stores, I only trade one copy off on each unless I get lazy(the three Nerfs in one store).

I used to dump the Tom Clancy Triple Pack for Xbox on GS a couple years ago when they had the 'trade 3, get an extra $10' promo going on and trade them all in disc only since it was 3 seperate discs in one package.

I was getting them from Kmart for like $4 on clearance then, so I was getting $15-16 each bundle and those copies of those games have sat at the local stores forever, even now that the Xbox games are 50-75% off.

But the whole point of flipping is to treat it like the stock market: buy low(or 'free') and sell for as high as you can. If you're not doing that, then you're not really a flipper.

bread's done
Back