Post any really good obscure movies here

I think a lot of people are confusing "obscure" with "old."

Hedwig and the Angry Inch - A rock opera in the vein of "Rocky Horror Picture Show," but with better music, better humor, and less cheese. Definately one of my all time favorites.

Purdita Durango (Dance with the Devil) - A hyper-active film that crams gratuitous sex, violence, drugs, and much wierder stuff into a bizzare tale. Sometimes funny, sometimes just plain weird, it's definately not a date movie. But it's a great movie to watch with like-minded friends and beer (a la Kill Bill).

The Hudsucker Proxy - A Coen brothers' flick that not too many people seem to know about. It's a completely whimsical tale. Without ever getting "kiddy" or cheesy, it manages to be a very enjoyable film with a quirky sense of humor that anyone can enjoy.

My roommates and I were watching HBO the other night and found a movie that was surprisingly really good.

It's called Box of Moonlight.

It stars John Turturro and Sam Rockwell, and it's about an electrical engineer(Turturro) and an eccentric(Rockwell) who bond while Turturro's having his midlife crisis. Rockwell's character teaches Turturro ways to relax and to just have fun. I would suggest it.

B00005AA9G.01.LZZZZZZZ.jpg

[quote name='alucard8319']Metropolis (1927)[/QUOTE]
That is considered one of the most famous silent movies. I don't know how obscure it is though, but nonetheless is a good movie.

Session 9
Dog Soldiers

I'll try to think of more that no one else has named later.

Dark City - one of the most imaginative sci-fi flicks in recent memory. Criminally overlooked.

The Final Countdown - I think only aviation buffs would know about this movie. Much better F-14 movie than Top Gun.

Glengarry Glen Ross - ALWAYS BE CLOSING!

Looking for Richard - Al Pacino's documentary about putting together a film adaptation of Richard III with an American cast (which never happened in the end).

Naked Lunch - a blend of many of books written by William S. Burroughs

Requiem for a Dream - should be mandatory viewing for all high school students.

Suspiria - part of the Three Mothers trilogy Dario Argento never finished

Videodrome - incredibly prophetic vision from director David Cronenberg. This movie begs to be remade with CG effects and a better ending.

Wow, Haven't seen this thread in while, but I have thought of another movie that I think is kind of obscure.

I don't think that this is too obscure to the movie loving crowd, but not too many people know about it since it is an older film, making it obscure in my mind, is Dr. Strangelove or: How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Love the Bomb.

I would also like to add From Hell. Got some play when it was out, but quickly was forgotten.

I'm also going to add Ichi the Killer. Wow, just wow is all I can say about that movie.

Another movie, that the name is escaping me at the moment, is an 80s Italian horror movie called "At The Gates of Hell" I believe. I bought it when I saw it at a convention with a few of my friends and then researched it, and just like Battle Royale was banned from ever playing America, so was this movie. Truly shocking and gruesome. Real horror.

Equilibrium
Dark City
The Day The Earth Stood Still
Clockwork Orange
Memento
Follow
Leon (uncut international release version)
Oldboy
Nightwatch
Waterboys
Avalon (Japanese-Polish Matrix movie)
Sex is Zero
Please Teach Me English
The Blade
FullTime Killer
Fudoh

I don't think anyone has mentioned Jacob's Ladder yet. Some of the themes from the Silent Hill series were inspired by this movie.

I'll make a more comprehensive list for when I skim over my DVD collection but for now:

Ravenous- Cheap as hell at Best Buy!! Great movie, great soundtrack. Somewhat serious/humorous take on cannibalism. Set in the 1840's during Westward Expansion. I highly suggest you look into it.

Narc- GOD DAMNIT SEE THIS MOVIE. Absolutely amazing. Patric and Liotta do a great job. From the beginning scene you will be amazed.

Shipping News- You guys mention K-PAX but you don't mention this!!! Amazing film with Kevin Spacey.

Shower- Great movie about the modernization of China while still being composed of a rather traditionalistic society. Humorous. Just a happy film.

Waking Ned Devine- Great movie. Cheap at Best Buy.

I Heart Huckabees- Wahlberg does a great great job in this. Great movie that has a high replay value.

The Limey- Hit or miss whether or not you will enjoy it. I know I did.

Virtuosity- A great movie with Russell Crowe and Denzel Washington. Kinda cheesy, but its really entertaining.

Matchstick Men- Debatable abour whether or not its obscure or not. Not debatable is the fact that this is a great movie. Nicolas Cage does a great job playing neurotics.

Truth or Consequences New Mexico-For you Kiefer fans he wrote this, so you should watch it. Great film.

Door to Door- One of William H. Macey's best movies. Ironically, it was a made for TV movie, but its out on DVD.

Revolution-OLD OLD movie with Al Pacino about the American Revolution. Blows away the craptastic Patriot.

Big Kahuna-Kevin Spacey, Danny Devito!! No one watched it..

Stir of Echoes-Kevin Bacon??? Obscure?? Well now it is. Great movie that I had nearly forgotten about.

The Last Castle- With Robert Redford. I thought this was done pretty well. Its like 5.99 at Best Buy.

Street Fighter: The Animated Movie-Absolutely amazing.

Princess Mononoke
Nausicaa of the Valley of the Wind- Obviously in Japan they sell like crazy, but over here Princess Mononoke and Nausicaa don't get the attention they deserve. Spirited Away did somewhat.

Kung Pow- Mainstream American doesn't know about it. You know what I'm talking about. Need to like stupid stupid stupid stupid humor to love this, but if you do you are in for a treat.

Stalingrad- Subtitled film about...well you can guess from the title.

Dirty Work-Norm McDonald...Revenge for Hire business...Somewhat popular when it came out, but since then it has faded into obscurity. Hilarious.

Ghost in the Darkness-Haven't seen this in awhile. But all I remember is a great movie with crazy ass lions and Val Kilmer.

The Game- Michael Douglas and Sean Penn. Never really did great at the box office, and...well lets just say its surprising.

The Believer- About a Jew who decides to become a Neo-Nazi. Deeper than it sounds.

The Gathering Storm- Great movie about Winston Churchill and his role in leading up to WWII. Great acting all around. I highly suggest it.

Dark City

The Fast Runner- 3 hour long movie about an Inuit tride. Rather slow moving but if you appreciate movies like this you are in for a treat.

Wasabi- A movie with Reno (or the man in the professional) that never takes itself too seriously and is actually pretty funny at points.

American Splendor- Paul Giamatti is the man!!!

[quote name='svsaith']Seven Samurai[/QUOTE]
Not really obscure, more so mainstream

My Picks: Cowboy Bebop:Knockin On Heavens Door
And Then There Were None
Serpent And The Rainbow

bread's done
Back