Post next-gen theories from months/years ago, that are now ridiculous

[quote name='RedvsBlue']The fact that Nintendo and Sony would have millions of their consoles out in 2007...[/quote]Considering Nintendo has sold over a million already, that doesn't seem far fetched at all :) And Sony will get them out sometime next year, I'm sure.

I think quotes from Sony are the best. The DS is insignificant, motion-sensitivty is stupid, the next gen starts when we say so. Actually, pals, it happened when the 360 hit the shelves, but whatever.

[quote name='daroga']Considering Nintendo has sold over a million already, that doesn't seem far fetched at all :) And Sony will get them out sometime next year, I'm sure.

I think quotes from Sony are the best. The DS is insignificant, motion-sensitivty is stupid, the next gen starts when we say so. Actually, pals, it happened when the 360 hit the shelves, but whatever.[/QUOTE]

Yeah, they've sold a million worldwide, they originally said they'd have 2 million in North America alone by the end of the year. I really don't see how they can do it at this point.

[quote name='RedvsBlue']Yeah, they've sold a million worldwide, they originally said they'd have 2 million in North America alone by the end of the year. I really don't see how they can do it at this point.[/QUOTE]

http://www.vgcharts.org/ngwars.php?topic=1

2 million worldwide it seems, which isn't bad. And I think they said while they can't meet 2 million in NA before the end of the year, they will hit 2 million by January.

You guys are splitting hairs here, I'm not criticizing Nintendo so this defensive front really isn't necessary. My point was that one of Nintendo's big claims was that they would have plenty of consoles to meet demand this year, now we see that they weren't.

[quote name='RedvsBlue']You guys are splitting hairs here, I'm not criticizing Nintendo so this defensive front really isn't necessary. My point was that one of Nintendo's big claims was that they would have plenty of consoles to meet demand this year, now we see that they weren't.[/QUOTE]

I'll agree, but also disagree. I really don't think anyone, including Nintendo, knew that the Wii would be in such high demand. I mean, they already sold (shipped?) out 2 million units....That's X (not sure) amount times more than MS or Sony could do during their respective launches.

If you ask me, Nintendo has really done all it can to try to meet the demand, I mean, remember the reports back at the end of summer when Wiis were ALREADY being produced?? It was obvious they were trying their best to really plan ahead and really really try to have enough Wiis for everyone. I mean, Europe, Australia, Japan, and the US, Nintendo has supplied more Wiis in each region than Sony could provide in one. They also didn't try to shoot for a global launch, instead staggered them to alleviate some of the production pressure.

The boomerang controller wasn't a theory. It was real. It just received such a poor response on being revealed, that they changed their minds. Also, the no used Ps3 games wasn't a theory either. It was something Sony seriously considered and, thank god, rejected. That would have assured their loss in this gen, which, honestly, is shaping up that way outside of Japan anyway. But hell, that would have killed them even in Japan.

[quote name='mietha']The boomerang controller wasn't a theory. It was real. It just received such a poor response on being revealed, that they changed their minds. Also, the no used Ps3 games wasn't a theory either. It was something Sony seriously considered and, thank god, rejected. That would have assured their loss in this gen, which, honestly, is shaping up that way outside of Japan anyway. But hell, that would have killed them even in Japan.[/QUOTE]

Not only did they seriously consider the no used games but they've patented the technology.

I think everyone's "People are so retarded for buying Wii's on Ebay because you will be able to just walk in to a store and buy one" claim was ridiculous (I'm specifically thinking of a Zoglog post on Kotaku's boards, but there were plenty more like it).

I also have to include Nintendo's "Online gaming isn't popular" quote from awhile back as well. Dumb, dumb, dumb. Now I hope they're learning.

[quote name='RedvsBlue']Yeah, they've sold a million worldwide, they originally said they'd have 2 million in North America alone by the end of the year. I really don't see how they can do it at this point.[/quote]Ah, ok, I see where you were coming from, and I agree.

I have to wonder how close they'll be on Jan 1 to hitting that 4 Million Wiis shipped mark that they touted pre-launch. It seems like now that it's launched pretty much everywhere, that the machine is in place and fairly well oiled. But I agree, 4 million by the end of the year at this point seems unlikely. But 6 million by March 31? More than doable.

I'll be interested to see how sales go for each company once there are three systems, readily available all the time.

One thing that I never would have imagined a few months ago was the amount of press both the PS3 and Wii have gotten, the Wii especially. For a few weeks, you couldn't turn on the news or read a paper without hitting something about video games. I felt like I was in some bizzaro world where my hobby was respected. ;)

bread's done
Back