Post-Target LOTR screw up: Target cancels orders

Game_Dude_3

CAGiversary!
I just got an e-mail from Target saying that they cancelled my LOTR BR trilogy order for 7.99 because they were 'out of stock'. They cite their store ad that says they only had limited qualities, although I don't understand how that applies to the web site.

I'm getting some feedback from others reporting the same. What bugs me is that the web site will say when an item is out of stock, and I purchased the set before it was out. I strongly believe this is BS and was wondering if any one else got an e-mail and how we can go about still getting this deal.

[quote name='DarkRider23']You know who I'm laughing at the most? All the idiots that presold these on eBay and now have to go ahead and cancel 10+ orders. I'm laughing so fucking hard at them. They are going to get so many negatives.[/QUOTE]

That is actually pretty funny and I'm not being sarcastic.

FYI to anyone not following target.coms orders, they apparently do this all the time. I think it should jsut be known that target.com is pretty worthless. Not that you cant get stuff from them, but any good deals they cancel with out any problem or apologizes. fuck them.

What's funny, sad, and frustrating is that I got told at 6 PM tonight that I should have no problems getting this when I called to confirm I wanted to keep my order in place after that e-mail. Then a few hours later I get the cancellation e-mail. Somehow I don't trust being told that they will "honor" the $7.99 price when it comes back in stock... somehow something just doesn't seem right.

When I called them, a little lol and wtf, is that the CSR went on to talk about X-blade which got canceled last year, she thought I was talking about that for some reason. I was really confused when she said something about this order being a year old. That one I understood why its being canceled cause they remedied it quickly, but for LoTR when stores were honoring the prices and emails of shipping it at later date I am irritated.

At this rate I think Target would be smarter on never stocking up on LoTR Trilogy (lol, that would be pretty funny).

[quote name='Demolition Man']What's funny, sad, and frustrating is that I got told at 6 PM tonight that I should have no problems getting this when I called to confirm I wanted to keep my order in place after that e-mail. Then a few hours later I get the cancellation e-mail. Somehow I don't trust being told that they will "honor" the $7.99 price when it comes back in stock... somehow something just doesn't seem right.[/QUOTE]

Thats why I asked some sort of confirmation email and/or number(?). She was not able to do that on policy apparently; well this isn't my first time CSR lying to me.

[quote name='DarkRider23']You know who I'm laughing at the most? All the idiots that presold these on eBay and now have to go ahead and cancel 10+ orders. I'm laughing so fucking hard at them. They are going to get so many negatives.[/QUOTE]

They deserve it. Not because they hoarded copies, but because they're selling products they don't actually have.

[quote name='dejeckt']Thats why I asked some sort of confirmation email and/or number(?). She was not able to do that on policy apparently; well this isn't my first time CSR lying to me.[/QUOTE]

I was told to use the order number from my now canceled order. He claims to have put a "note" in there that the price is to be honored.

I find this funny btw.... I did an order with Amazon.com for Community Season 1 and Parks & Rec Season 1 within a few minutes of the LOTR Target.com order. The Amazon order shipped on Friday and looks to be arriving to me tomorrow (Monday). Too bad Amazon didn't price match the Target deal on LOTR which would of been a real winner.

:applause:

You'd have to be pretty stupid to believe these would go through. Did anyone not see the thread at SD with thousands viewing, and many ordered 10 and 20 of them? As soon as I ordered I knew it would be canceled. I only made the order for the slight chance they'd offer some sort of consolation credit.

[quote name='ssjmichael']You'd have to be pretty stupid to believe these would go through. Did anyone not see the thread at SD with thousands viewing, and many ordered 10 and 20 of them? As soon as I ordered I knew it would be canceled. I only made the order for the slight chance they'd offer some sort of consolation credit.[/QUOTE]
Can't really be considered stupid when they send you an email that your order is still going to be fulfilled but it will take time. Then 1-2 days later they say oops sorry but no.

I'm also surprised that Target didn't just come out and say it was a pricing error. I mean they're selling the individual movies side by side with the entire trilogy for 7.99, hmmmm

People getting so pissed at Target on here crack me the fuck up.

[quote name='ssjmichael']You'd have to be pretty stupid to believe these would go through. Did anyone not see the thread at SD with thousands viewing, and many ordered 10 and 20 of them? As soon as I ordered I knew it would be canceled. I only made the order for the slight chance they'd offer some sort of consolation credit.[/QUOTE]

At first I thought it would get canceled, but a friend was able to pick it up for $7.99. Then I get an email that it will be shipped on a later date, and I at this point I thought they were pretty much set on price honoring the Trilogy.

[quote name='mitnosi']Can't really be considered stupid when they send you an email that your order is still going to be fulfilled but it will take time. Then 1-2 days later they say oops sorry but no.[/QUOTE]

That's pretty much all automated shit. It's no indication that the order was going to go through. Do people here not realize it was a mistake? Do people actually think it made any kind of sense to sell the trilogy for 7.99 next to the individual movies for the same price? The sense of entitlement in this thread is pitiful.

[quote name='mitnosi']Can't really be considered stupid when they send you an email that your order is still going to be fulfilled but it will take time. Then 1-2 days later they say oops sorry but no.[/QUOTE]

Not to mention this was advertised in not just a national ad but the Black Friday ad which you know is the biggest ad of the year for retail stores. I mean I can fully understand let alone fully agree with those orders of 10+ or whatever getting canceled since honestly most retail stores have a limit on how many copies of a release a customer can purchase. But when Target goes from confirming a ton of orders to asking if people still want in to outright cancellation is complete and utter bullshit on their part.

This is the Iron Man 2 Wal-Mart debacle all over again.... only this time at least Target hasn't put the product back on their site at full price after telling everyone its canceled at the lower price.

[quote name='ssjmichael']That's pretty much all automated shit. It's no indication that the order was going to go through. Do people here not realize it was a mistake? Do people actually people it made any kind of sense to sell the trilogy for 7.99 next to the individual movies for the same price? The sense of entitlement in this thread is pitiful.[/QUOTE]
It was in their ad, and price in store. If it was a pricing error then they decided to honor it. Don't come in here to cause trouble man.

Not a surprise. I ordered 4 (3 for friends) and got the email to confirm I still wanted it then the cancellation. It's obvious Target realized they'd lose a ton on this so they just canceled everything. Next time, don't be stupid in telling your stores to stick with a $90 price error.

Eh, not that big a deal. I got both cuts on DVD when they were pretty pricey. DVDs still look good.

[quote name='mitnosi']It was in their ad, and price in store. If it was a pricing error then they decided to honor it. Don't come in here to cause trouble man.[/QUOTE]

How am I causing trouble? Because I'm not moaning like a little bitch about how much Target sucks? Yeah okay whatever. It was clearly a printed mistake, and who knows why it showed up online for that price. It's possible that whoever idiot created the printed ad also programmed in the UPC for the trilogy to sell for that price when they put up their BF deals online. It was a mistake, I accept that companies do have them. I have zero probs with Target cancelling these orders.

[quote name='ssjmichael']How am I causing trouble? Because I'm not moaning like a little bitch about how much Target sucks? Yeah okay whatever. It was clearly a printed mistake, and who knows why it showed up online for that price. It's possible that whoever idiot created the printed ad also programmed in the UPC for the trilogy to sell for that price when they put up their BF deals online. It was a mistake, I accept that companies do have them. I have zero probs with Target cancelling these orders.[/QUOTE]
Saying people are stupid if they expected a company to stand by their offer seems like your causing trouble.

[quote name='ssjmichael']How am I causing trouble? Because I'm not moaning like a little bitch about how much Target sucks? Yeah okay whatever. It was clearly a printed mistake, and who knows why it showed up online for that price. It's possible that whoever idiot created the printed ad also programmed in the UPC for the trilogy to sell for that price when they put up their BF deals online. It was a mistake, I accept that companies do have them. I have zero probs with Target cancelling these orders.[/QUOTE]

Except Target honored the $7.99 price in store. In fact an internal memo was leaked online stating the price would be honored.

[quote name='Demolition Man']Except Target honored the $7.99 price in store. In fact an internal memo was leaked online stating the price would be honored.[/QUOTE]

How was it honored? Was it on a case by case basis, or did they print the 7.99 price on the Boxset? Did the boxset scan for 7.99?

Do you believe this was a pricing mistake yes or no?

[quote name='ssjmichael']How was it honored? Was it on a case by case basis, or did they print the 7.99 price on the Boxset? Did the boxset scan for 7.99?[/QUOTE]

It scanned and sold for $7.99 in store on Black Friday as advertised.

The boxset scanned for $7.99. No manual override or hassle required.

I am REALLY relieved that I picked up a set and got my price adjustment. But I AM a bit annoyed that I can order something "in stock" at Target, that stays "in stock" for quite a while after my order, and still have it magically never be made or available ever again.

It pisses me off when companies lie. This is a lie. More LOTR bluray sets are out there. Target can and will get more. So just say "We ran out of our alloted stock for this sale" or whatever. Fine. Don't lie to me and say "Gee, we looked all over, but there are no more copies of this ever made."

[quote name='ssjmichael']How was it honored? Was it on a case by case basis, or did they print the 7.99 price on the Boxset? Did the boxset scan for 7.99?

Do you believe this was a pricing mistake yes or no?[/QUOTE]

It was a printing error, however the price was honored in stores, so it should be honored online as well. Had it been a pricing error, why did we all receive e-mails telling us that our orders went through but were delayed until after 2010? Face it ... Target handled this poorly ... and now they're going to pay for it ... because there are a ton of angry people who aren't going to let this issue die without a fight. Just saying

[quote name='dejeckt']Kinda wish I just got the $10 gift card rather than some CSR word its been 'posted' to my account. ...when does the extended LoTR BluRay come out ^^[/QUOTE]

Funny thing is I asked the guy repeatedly! to see if he could give me the sale price once it was back in stock. No budging just going on and on about the seller's stock supply
and it being a "promotional price."

[quote name='Demolition Man']It scanned and sold for $7.99 in store on Black Friday as advertised.[/QUOTE]
Yeah not a price mistake. More like an FU to online orders...

[quote name='ssjmichael']How was it honored? Was it on a case by case basis, or did they print the 7.99 price on the Boxset? Did the boxset scan for 7.99?

Do you believe this was a pricing mistake yes or no?[/QUOTE]It scanned in-store at that price, plus there were shelf tags (at least at my local Target) showing the $7.99 price (saving $67) for the trilogy set with the Target SKU # for it.

I picked up my copy at a Target B&M on Wednesday evening and went in yesterday to get it price adjusted. I had one manager deny the price adjustment, giving me statements of "the system won't allow for a price adjustment that low" and "I see nothing about this memo you're talking about it", so I ended up returning it. As I was looking through the DVD section looking for some $12.99 DVDs, I found the shelf tag showing the $7.99 price for the trilogy set with the "save $67" on it. I went back to CS, spoke with a different manager who found the item in the back-to-floor cart, and did the transaction for the item, which scanned at $7.99.

I think this was a price mistake, though it was well past the point of no return with all of the press they had over it. That's probably why they honored it, though I can't see why the had the website go live with the price and allow the orders, only to cancel them after the fact.

I know it did scan at $7.99 in-store, as I saw it myself. I also heard the "Target.com and Target are two different entities" line from the first manager that denied the price adjustment, so they have that mentality in-store at least.

it's not a surprising price either, it's just a nice deal on a fairly mediocre blu-ray transfer that lacked the extended cuts. no one was buying this at $80, it makes sense to clear out a probably ungodly amount of stocked copies in time for the better version to come out.

[quote name='panzerfaust']it wasn't a price mistake bud, you should calm down[/QUOTE]

Really? You really believe that? You're telling me Target's thought process was "We're going to put the individual sets up for 7.99, but on top of that let's just make the whole fucking trilogy 7.99 as well". And you believe this?

If so, then can you please explain why the printed ad said next to the picture "Normal Price up to $24.99". Let that sink in and come back to me about whether Target originally intended for the entire set to be 7.99

Also: There's a reason Amazon matched Target's 7.99 price for the movies, but not the trilogy

[quote name='panzerfaust']it's not a surprising price either, it's just a nice deal on a fairly mediocre blu-ray transfer that lacked the extended cuts. no one was buying this at $80, it makes sense to clear out a probably ungodly amount of stocked copies in time for the better version to come out.[/QUOTE]
They are going for 60+ on eBay so they are selling

Do you believe this was a pricing mistake yes or no?[/QUOTE]

They sent a mass email saying that it was to be honored. Then, when they posted it online (and others knew about it), they wait until now to cancel everyone's order.

Honestly I probably would have bought them all for 7.99 individually or tried to get one at a store. I just sent them a mean email, I'm sure it won't do any good. I'm miffed, nevertheless about it though.

I seriously think that shipment delay email was an attempt to get enough people to cancel their orders, and I think someone at Target went through this process:

S***, we fudged up. Well I guess we could honor it....
*day or so later*
*looking at some magical sales data* S*** We incurred way too much loss on LoTR lets see if we can get people to cancel their orders by delay...
*day or so later*
F***, everyone still wants it...abort abort

^no idea where I was going with this, but all in all kinda regret not telling my friend not to get me one from store (this is me trying to courteous to another who might want the Trilogy).

Yeah, biggest problem I have with it is that this should have been canceled on Friday or Saturday at the latest. Way to wait until your customers have no other options or recourse on picking up the trilogy ... as far as I'm concerned, Target at least owes me the 3 movies at $7.99 each, because that ship has sailed and now we are left with no options.

[quote name='mr_bungle']They sent a mass email saying that it was to be honored. Then, when they posted it online (and others knew about it), they wait until now to cancel everyone's order.

Honestly I probably would have bought them all for 7.99 individually or tried to get one at a store. I just sent them a mean email, I'm sure it won't do any good. I'm miffed, nevertheless about it though.[/QUOTE]

I think most here knew it was a YMMV thing when the ad first came out. Everyone was saying "oh they messed up Im going to try to get them to honor it, etc.." Then the memo leaks out and everyone is now expecting to get it in store for that price. Okay I'm fine with that, and I'm sure corporate was too since stores wouldn't have had tons on hand anyway

What I think shocked everyone was the fact that it showed up online for that price. That should have never happened. I really do believe that was some sort of error in itself. Maybe they thought they could eat the loss that they'd no doubt incur. But they underestimated people's greed.. What I'm dissapointed in is the lack of empathy people have here. Does everyone want Target to lose potential millions just to get a trilogy most of you bitched about anyway? Don't hate Target for this, hate on the hoarders who bought tons to resell. They killed off whatever crazy kind-hearted gesture that Target intended by honoring the deal (if having it online wasn't a mistake)

That's all I'll say about this. I was never trying to troll, but I apologize if I came off this way.

Yes, everyone who passed on deals at other outlets on this same product to order it from Target who said they were honoring their price, confirmed the order and gave a shipping date... yes, all of those people should be thrilled their orders were canceled and they can now pay full retail for a product they could have gotten for 1/3rd the price at other outlets and *gasp* actually had them shipped.

The people who ordered this missed out on other sales for this product. I'd say we have every right to be pissed.

[quote name='etcrane']Yeah, biggest problem I have with it is that this should have been canceled on Friday or Saturday at the latest. Way to wait until your customers have no other options or recourse on picking up the trilogy ... as far as I'm concerned, Target at least owes me the 3 movies at $7.99 each, because that ship has sailed and now we are left with no options.[/QUOTE]

Exactly.

I can't speak for everyone but I think there would be more empathy for Target had none of us been told one minute "oh yes we'll honor it" then the next having our orders canceled. I said it earlier and I'll say it again I have no issues with the hoarders orders getting canceled or at least the amount they get cut down to 3 or so at the most. But to piss off everyone who ordered just because a few people tried to take advantage of this by ordering 10, 20, 50, etc is wrong.

For everyone that's mad because they really really wanted all 3 movies for 7.99 each, you can get them right now at WBshop.com for $9.74 each. Yeah it's not the same price, but it's hardly retail either.

To get this price sign up at WB's insider website, and then go back to wbshop: http://insiderrewards.warnerbros.com

I will call Target tomorrow and see where I get with it. At this point I'd be content if they just sold me the individual Blu's for 7.99 each, which is the deal I missed out on to order this.

I should have been more like my brother. Order one online and go to the store and buy one just in case. You can always gift or sell the extra if they happen to honor this.

I'm fairly ticked about it, though. I would have purchased somewhere else if not for this sale. If they were going to cancel it they should have done so MUCH sooner so we could order from somewhere else.

I'm gonna stick to amazon only at this point.

[quote name='Demolition Man']I can't speak for everyone but I think there would be more empathy for Target had none of us been told one minute "oh yes we'll honor it" then the next having our orders canceled. I said it earlier and I'll say it again I have no issues with the hoarders orders getting canceled or at least the amount they get cut down to 3 or so at the most. But to piss off everyone who ordered just because a few people tried to take advantage of this by ordering 10, 20, 50, etc is wrong.[/QUOTE]

I do agree that Target should have handled the entire thing better. If it was indeed their intention to also honor the price online then there should have definitely been a limit of 1 or 2 in place, as well as put it up in limited quantities (which they did advertise the deal as).

[quote name='ssjmichael']For everyone that's mad because they really really wanted all 3 movies for 7.99 each, you can get them right now at WBshop.com for $9.74 each. Yeah it's not the same price, but it's hardly retail either.

To get this price sign up at WB's insider website, and then go back to wbshop: http://insiderrewards.warnerbros.com[/QUOTE]

Thanks, but I think I gonna wait for it to hit below $24. After seeing the prices at $7.99 each on amazon I don't think I could buy it for $30ish.

I suspected my order would be cancelled after the delay email so I jumped on amazons deal just in case and of course tonight I get the same BS cancellation email as the rest of you.

Im glad I at least got in on the amazon deal, I had a feeling target would dick me over on this

[quote name='avwjase']I will call Target tomorrow and see where I get with it. At this point I'd be content if they just sold me the individual Blu's for 7.99 each, which is the deal I missed out on to order this.

I should have been more like my brother. Order one online and go to the store and buy one just in case. You can always gift or sell the extra if they happen to honor this.

I'm fairly ticked about it, though. I would have purchased somewhere else if not for this sale. If they were going to cancel it they should have done so MUCH sooner so we could order from somewhere else.

I'm gonna stick to amazon only at this point.[/QUOTE]

How did you miss out on that $7.99 each price when Amazon had them for that before this ever went up on Target's website? Amazon had them for that price since Monday, this only went live what, Friday?

I had my 3 in hand from Amazon well before any of us had any idea this would be offered online by Target.

[quote name='lawdood']How did you miss out on that $7.99 each price when Amazon had them for that before this ever went up on Target's website? Amazon had them for that price since Monday, this only went live what, Friday?

I had my 3 in hand from Amazon well before any of us had any idea this would be offered online.[/QUOTE]

And my target ad from SUNDAY (http://www.black-friday.net/target-ad-scan.html#) said $7.99 for all three. Just because the online became live later and saved me a trip to Target doesn't mean that they didn't advertise the price much sooner than that and I skipped the Amazon sale because of that.

It's clear some of you guys just wish to be trollish a-holes, though. Obviously it's the consumers fault because he was lied to. Hey, I'll speak with my wallet and just not shop at Target anymore. Works for me.

[quote name='ssjmichael']I think most here knew it was a YMMV thing when the ad first came out. Everyone was saying "oh they messed up Im going to try to get them to honor it, etc.." Then the memo leaks out and everyone is now expecting to get it in store for that price. Okay I'm fine with that, and I'm sure corporate was too since stores wouldn't have had tons on hand anyway

What I think shocked everyone was the fact that it showed up online for that price. That should have never happened. I really do believe that was some sort of error in itself. Maybe they thought they could eat the loss that they'd no doubt incur. But they underestimated people's greed.. What I'm dissapointed in is the lack of empathy people have here. Does everyone want Target to lose potential millions just to get a trilogy most of you bitched about anyway? Don't hate Target for this, hate on the hoarders who bought tons to resell. They killed off whatever crazy kind-hearted gesture that Target intended by honoring the deal (if having it online wasn't a mistake)

That's all I'll say about this. I was never trying to troll, but I apologize if I came off this way.[/QUOTE]

First off Target wouldn't lose millions over a trilogy. I'm pretty sure they don't have to pay much more than 7.99 for the whole set. Retailers who buy in big quantities like that don't pay much more than pennies. I knew a guy at GS once who was training a worker emphasizing the importance of software sales (this was before they were so pro-trade in) saying that he might pay $17 for a new copy of a game and then they sell it for $60, but a system that costs 299 might cost them $295, so they aren't getting much profit.

Same with Target. And like I stated, while I am aggravated that they didn't honor it, I can understand why they WOULD, but the fact remains that they sent us all an email saying it'd be in January, and if they had've just told us in the first place that it wasn't coming, I could have gotten the trilogy shipped for $24 on amazon with Prime.

I don't recall Family Video screwing over their customers like this a few weeks back when they had the error for $24 on the trilogy. They sent everyone a set who ordered, it just took a few weeks.

When you own a business, customer satisfaction is what keeps you going. I'm not saying Target will go under over a lotr trilogy, but I can see some major flack over this. Between people who ordered them as gifts, people like myself who just wanted to know right away so they could have gotten it somewhere else, and most importantly the lotr fanboys who will be all over this. Just look at the 3,000 reviews that they came out of the woodwork to vote on at amazon, giving it 1 star for not releasing EE right away. That doesn't bother me, they at least included special features. And Peter Jackson apologized and said he will get them out to his fans, that's one thing. With Star Wars, Lucas doesn't even care enough to get the preferred picture. But, I digress.

bread's done
Back