Post-Target LOTR screw up: Target cancels orders

Game_Dude_3

CAGiversary!
I just got an e-mail from Target saying that they cancelled my LOTR BR trilogy order for 7.99 because they were 'out of stock'. They cite their store ad that says they only had limited qualities, although I don't understand how that applies to the web site.

I'm getting some feedback from others reporting the same. What bugs me is that the web site will say when an item is out of stock, and I purchased the set before it was out. I strongly believe this is BS and was wondering if any one else got an e-mail and how we can go about still getting this deal.

[quote name='Steggy']You really would have waited in line for a single boxset?[/QUOTE]

I did, got there 20 minutes before open was way in the back of the line and had no problem picking up the set since it was a priority for just about no one there when there were Westinghouse t.vs and 3 dollar sandwich makers to be had. Years of dealing with misprices has taught me to always ignore those company emails sent out promising to ship because half the time that goes nowhere and is a stall tactic but instead to get off your ass go to the store and at least attempt once to get the item right then and there.

[quote name='whoknows']Pretty much. I mean it comes down to this. Say one of you had it and put it up on your trade list for $7 unintentionally. Someone PM's you and is like "I'll take it". What would you do? No way would any of you sell it. You'd say "sorry, made a mistake" and be done with it. Same thing happened with Target, except since it's a big company everyone wants to take advantage and hoping that with enough bitching they'll cave.[/QUOTE]

With all due respect, that's an extremely poor analogy.

In Target's case, they were informed well in advance of the mistake. They chose to honor it in store, and it's reasonable to assume that they also chose to honor it online.

Had Target wanted to, they could have very easily removed the item from the website (which they've done, after noting people's accounts to receive the item at the promotional price when it comes back in stock). They could have made sure that the price change never occurred, or they could have limited the quantities sold at that price. As you can tell from the 15 pages in this thread, they choose to do nothing.

At best, it shows Target's inability to accept responsibility in dealing with a mistake in a timely manner.

Last edited by a moderator:
Just thought I'd mention that Target has put the box set back on the site again with it being "store only" which still has the same "information system down" error.

I just called and they informed me it will never be available on the website. They claimed it's been discontinued. Anybody they told they'd price-match were lied to.

[quote name='Game_Dude_3']You forgot the part where I'd say, "Yeah sure, your order is complete, I'll send it your way".

Then a week later, "Hey man, I'm a bit held up, I'll send it in a month"

And then a day later, "Hey man, I never had it."[/QUOTE]

I dunno... were you getting emails from a human? No. If it was a human, then I would be with you on this point.

[quote name='iNCREDiPiNOY']my target has 2 copies in stock. How do i get them to honor my canceled order? ref case #?[/QUOTE]
I'm pretty sure they won't honor it even when you ask for a manager, given the huge price difference.

I'm just saying if I get a clueless guest CSR. But I'm not familiar with reference case # if Target.com CSR honored the price mistake and bring that e-mail to Target B&M. So how does this work as a customer?

[quote name='LoganDX']I just called and they informed me it will never be available on the website. They claimed it's been discontinued. Anybody they told they'd price-match were lied to.[/QUOTE]

[quote name='iNCREDiPiNOY']my target has 2 copies in stock. How do i get them to honor my canceled order? ref case #?[/QUOTE]

[quote name='eau']I'm pretty sure they won't honor it even when you ask for a manager, given the huge price difference.[/QUOTE]

I was able to get 2 copies in store at the promotional price this past weekend. As always with things like this, it's YMMV, but here's what I did:

When my order was originally canceled, I called Target.com Customer Service and asked to have it noted that they would honor the price when it came back in stock. When it disappeared from the website, I called back and told them that it was now off the website, and that I wanted to have it noted that I could receive the product at the promotional price in store. The woman I spoke with didn't seem to have much a problem with this, although I've heard cases of people being denied.

I then called my local Target to see if they had any in stock. Seeing as they did, I asked them to hold the 2 copies they had, and asked to speak to a manager. I explained the situation, and asked if there would be a problem with this, and what documents I would need. He was really cool about it, and didn't have a problem as long as he could verify that Target.com had authorized a price match in store.

I ended up having a problem getting a hold of a CSR from Target.com when I was at the store (seriously, there must be ONE person who takes calls on Saturday), and when I did get somebody, she didn't seem to understand what I was talking about. She kept having to "check on the situation", but the manager eventually just gave them to me at the promotional price since he believed me about the note being on the account.

If you're going to try a price match in store, you'll probably need a note on your account to allow it (perhaps you won't, but it can't hurt to have it). Also bring the email confirmation for your order, the delay email, and the cancellation email. When dealing with Target.com, your order number (on your order confirmation email) is what you'll need. From what I understand, that would be what most would consider a reference number. All the notes on your account should be able to be accessed once you give the Target.com CSR your order number and verify your information.

I hope that this helps.

[quote name='WormFOODx']I dunno... were you getting emails from a human? No. If it was a human, then I would be with you on this point.[/QUOTE]

Well, that completely derails the comparison the other guy was trying to make then.

How about we drop the metaphors and move on?

[quote name='joshythegreat18']I was able to get 2 copies in store at the promotional price this past weekend. As always with things like this, it's YMMV, but here's what I did:

When my order was originally canceled, I called Target.com Customer Service and asked to have it noted that they would honor the price when it came back in stock. When it disappeared from the website, I called back and told them that it was now off the website, and that I wanted to have it noted that I could receive the product at the promotional price in store. The woman I spoke with didn't seem to have much a problem with this, although I've heard cases of people being denied.

I then called my local Target to see if they had any in stock. Seeing as they did, I asked them to hold the 2 copies they had, and asked to speak to a manager. I explained the situation, and asked if there would be a problem with this, and what documents I would need. He was really cool about it, and didn't have a problem as long as he could verify that Target.com had authorized a price match in store.

I ended up having a problem getting a hold of a CSR from Target.com when I was at the store (seriously, there must be ONE person who takes calls on Saturday), and when I did get somebody, she didn't seem to understand what I was talking about. She kept having to "check on the situation", but the manager eventually just gave them to me at the promotional price since he believed me about the note being on the account.

If you're going to try a price match in store, you'll probably need a note on your account to allow it (perhaps you won't, but it can't hurt to have it). Also bring the email confirmation for your order, the delay email, and the cancellation email. When dealing with Target.com, your order number (on your order confirmation email) is what you'll need. From what I understand, that would be what most would consider a reference number. All the notes on your account should be able to be accessed once you give the Target.com CSR your order number and verify your information.

I hope that this helps.[/QUOTE]
Does Target Guest Customer Service have access to Target.com?

Has anybody that got the rainchecks at Target tried them out to see if they work? I still have two rainchecks for the set that i got before my friend ended up finding a set for me at the store.

[quote name='iNCREDiPiNOY']Does Target Guest Customer Service have access to Target.com?[/QUOTE]

They can call them, yes. When I went, they asked me to call them myself so that I could explain the situation and ask them to speak to the manager. I would bring the number with you just in case they don't know it off-hand/ don't want to look it up.

[quote name='DarkPhantom13']Has anybody that got the rainchecks at Target tried them out to see if they work? I still have two rainchecks for the set that i got before my friend ended up finding a set for me at the store.[/QUOTE]

There are multiple accounts over on SD about rainchecks being honored. I've yet to see somebody say that a raincheck was denied.

[quote name='DarkPhantom13']Has anybody that got the rainchecks at Target tried them out to see if they work? I still have two rainchecks for the set that i got before my friend ended up finding a set for me at the store.[/QUOTE]
I just used a rain check today. LOTR Trilogy and Inception for just under $28. I had a $15 gc so that sweetened the deal even more.

Anyone want to give me the lowdown of this after removing all the crap of people complaining about this thread and the endless back and forth bickering?

I signed the petition because it took 5 seconds. Hell, I might have posted in this thread earlier, I know I was talking on Black Friday about scoring this deal. Sure Target pissed on my dreams but it's not a life-ender. I am interested to see if there's anything I can get out of this screw-job.

I used a raincheck today and picked up 2 trilogies...They are trickling back into stores.

[quote name='slowdive21']I used a raincheck today and picked up 2 trilogies...They are trickling back into stores.[/QUOTE]

lucky bastard too bad I couldn't get a copy of the raincheck.

Good to see Target was so honest about why they cancelled, since stock just obviously COMPLETELY dried up...

Ugh.

Glad I got my copy and did the price adjustment, annoyed that Target.com is so incompetent.

[quote name='DarkPhantom13']I have two rainchecks but can't find a target that actually has stock for the damn trilogy![/QUOTE]

You're in Santa Ana? West LA has a few stores that have them.

bread's done
Back