Post your Hollywood Video DVD Hauls!

Cmosfm

CAGiversary!
Feedback
8 (100%)
As you know, Hollywood Video is closing the doors of a large percentage of their stores and DVDs are now 7.50 for non current releases. If you know what you are looking for you can make out like a bandit and come home with a TON of out of print DVDs and Criterion Collection movies. So you can either expand your collection or profit like mad. Here's my haul:

A Muppet Family Christmas
Destroy All Monsters
Walking Tall Trilogy
Walking Tall (Second copy of the first movie)
The Three Caballeros
King Crimson: Deja VROOOM
Grave Of The Fireflies Special Edition
Barfly
Plunkett & Macleane
Halloween 6: The Curse Of Michael Myers
GI JOE The Movie
Xiu Xiu: The Sent Down Girl
Kindred: The Embraced
The Langoliers
The Skateboard Kid 2
Emmet Otter's Jug Band Christmas
Quatermass & The Pit

Criterion Collection Movies:
Time Bandits
Samurai
Samurai II
Samurai III
Hiroshima Mon Amour
Kwaidan
Insomnia
Brief Encounter
Big Deal On Madonna Street
Black Orpheus
The Horse's Mouth
Solaris
Yojimbo
Grand Illusion
Ballad Of A Soldier
Andrei Rublev
The Shop On Main Street
High And Low
Autumn Sonata
Oliver Twist
The Lady Vanishes
Diabolique
Sanjuro
Wages Of Fear
Carnival Of Souls

I may go back and see if I can find anything else worthwhile. What did everyone else get?

That seems like failure to my store closing over a year ago when older DVDs were 5 for $7.98 plus tax.

[quote name='IkilledLassic']Anybody have a list of store closures? I'm in NY, if that helps.[/quote]

Basically compare the store listings on the store locator & the store listings in the phone book. If they are listed in the phone book, but not on the store locator, they're closing. No one has the exact list of all the stores closing.

Well all of the stores in my local area show up on the store locator. I guess we're a good area for the chain! No deals here!:cry:

[quote name='tangytangerine']Basically compare the store listings on the store locator & the store listings in the phone book. If they are listed in the phone book, but not on the store locator, they're closing. No one has the exact list of all the stores closing.[/quote]

Actually went to a store that didn't show up on the store locator and it was alive and kicking.

$7.50 for 'non current' DVDs, no matter HOW 'rare' is still NOT a cheap ass deal to me. I laughed at the horrid selection at the only local store that I know is closing. Now, had they had some prime Fatal Frame III or Baldurs Gate Dark Alliance II for PS2 in stock, I would've jumped for $15.99. But, I'll wait till they're @ 75% off and go back, maybe they'll have some decent junk left by then.

[quote name='IAmTheCheapestGamer']$7.50 for 'non current' DVDs, no matter HOW 'rare' is still NOT a cheap ass deal to me. I laughed at the horrid selection at the only local store that I know is closing. Now, had they had some prime Fatal Frame III or Baldurs Gate Dark Alliance II for PS2 in stock, I would've jumped for $15.99. But, I'll wait till they're @ 75% off and go back, maybe they'll have some decent junk left by then.[/QUOTE]

Oh, games, I bought...

Dark Alliance (x3)
Marvel Vs. Capcom 2
Futurama (x2)
Jurassic Park: Operation Genesis (x2)
Ico (7.00)

and also I acquired every single one of their video game cases. When they get games in to rent, they take one case and put it out for display and the case/manuals for the rest of the games go in the back. So that means I have about 400-500 mint condition cases, inserts and manuals for an absolute ton of games.

Oh, and not a good deal on the DVDs? Here's the going ebay prices for just a handful of those:

Muppet Family Christmas - 70.00-100.00
The Three Caballeros - 40.00-50.00
Barfly - 60.00-80.00
Plunkett & Macleane - 50.00-60.00
Kindred: The Embraced - 50.00
Quatermass & The Pit - 50.00
Skateboard Kid 2 - None on ebay, 100.00+ on Amazon.

Everything else goes for at least 20.00-30.00

Also picked up Sailor Moon R Season 2, 8 disk set today for 32.00. That fetches 200.00.

Picked up about 15 more movies as well today that go from 20.00-50.00 each.

Sometimes you have to look at the big picture instead of "old dvds for 7.50 man that sucks that's no cheap ass deal".

[quote name='Cmosfm']Oh, games, I bought...

Dark Alliance (x3)
Marvel Vs. Capcom 2
Futurama (x2)
Jurassic Park: Operation Genesis (x2)
Ico (7.00)

and also I acquired every single one of their video game cases. When they get games in to rent, they take one case and put it out for display and the case/manuals for the rest of the games go in the back. So that means I have about 400-500 mint condition cases, inserts and manuals for an absolute ton of games.

Oh, and not a good deal on the DVDs? Here's the going ebay prices for just a handful of those:

Muppet Family Christmas - 70.00-100.00
The Three Caballeros - 40.00-50.00
Barfly - 60.00-80.00
Plunkett & Macleane - 50.00-60.00
Kindred: The Embraced - 50.00
Quatermass & The Pit - 50.00
Skateboard Kid 2 - None on ebay, 100.00+ on Amazon.

Everything else goes for at least 20.00-30.00

Also picked up Sailor Moon R Season 2, 8 disk set today for 32.00. That fetches 200.00.

Picked up about 15 more movies as well today that go from 20.00-50.00 each.

Sometimes you have to look at the big picture instead of "old dvds for 7.50 man that sucks that's no cheap ass deal".[/quote]

But see, you haven't read my quote under my name on CAG, have you? When I buy stuff at store closings and other clearances...I buy it for myself to keep most times. I don't believe in snatching up multiple games for the sake of whoring them out on Ebay.

As for me, I paid $6 for my Dark Alliance, $10 for a SEALED copy of ICO from the Sears clearance and the rest of what you bought has no interest to me. So, yeah, for me those would be worthless purchases @ $7.50 a pop.

Now, once they go to 75% off, I MIGHT consider them, but I could buy 2-3 DVDs at a local shop for about $7.50. But, to each their own though...

[quote name='IAmTheCheapestGamer']But see, you haven't read my quote under my name on CAG, have you? When I buy stuff at store closings and other clearances...I buy it for myself to keep most times. I don't believe in snatching up multiple games for the sake of whoring them out on Ebay.

As for me, I paid $6 for my Dark Alliance, $10 for a SEALED copy of ICO from the Sears clearance and the rest of what you bought has no interest to me. So, yeah, for me those would be worthless purchases @ $7.50 a pop.

Now, once they go to 75% off, I MIGHT consider them, but I could buy 2-3 DVDs at a local shop for about $7.50. But, to each their own though...[/QUOTE]

Well if you don't like what I bought then stay the hell out of my thread, seriously, I didn't ask you to come in and debate what you consider a "cheap ass deal" and I really don't care to hear anymore of your "I'm no ebay whore" BS.

[quote name='tangytangerine']Basically compare the store listings on the store locator & the store listings in the phone book. If they are listed in the phone book, but not on the store locator, they're closing. No one has the exact list of all the stores closing.[/quote]

Holy crap, the one in my old town isn't listed. Road trip!!

[quote name='IAmTheCheapestGamer']But see, you haven't read my quote under my name on CAG, have you? When I buy stuff at store closings and other clearances...I buy it for myself to keep most times. I don't believe in snatching up multiple games for the sake of whoring them out on Ebay.

Now, once they go to 75% off, I MIGHT consider them, but I could buy 2-3 DVDs at a local shop for about $7.50. But, to each their own though...[/quote]

this is straight nonsense

[quote name='Jedi1979']what gems did you find in the lot of cases...i wish mine had the MVC2 and futurama cases[/QUOTE]

Only gems would be Futurama so far, I've just went through what I had in my backseat, I still have a trunk full of them. For the most part they are newer games.

I stopped by a HV today and must say I wasn't impressed. All the old favorites were 6.99 while new releases were like 11.49. Not much of a deal on used DVDs, especially when they are trying to empty their stock. Video games were all 14.99, and there were no next gen titles(guessing all got sent to other stores inventory). Can anybody tell me if they will be offering better deals as time goes on. And also, what are some of the so called steals that could be had here?

Picture164.jpg

Aqua Teen Hunger Force Volume 3 (2-Disc Set) - $6.99
Sailor Moon R The Movie - $6.99
Shadow of the Colossus - $14.99

Would've gotten some Futurama, South Park and Simpsons DVDs if they weren't selling the fucking discs seperately. All previously viewed DVDs were $6.99 at the one I went to.

[quote name='Jlong1002']I stopped by a HV today and must say I wasn't impressed. All the old favorites were 6.99 while new releases were like 11.49. Not much of a deal on used DVDs, especially when they are trying to empty their stock. Video games were all 14.99, and there were no next gen titles(guessing all got sent to other stores inventory). Can anybody tell me if they will be offering better deals as time goes on. And also, what are some of the so called steals that could be had here?[/QUOTE]

Yes they are, I bought a ton on Tuesday night at 25% off, Wednesday morning they were 30% off.

The thing is, most stores are still going to be open for about 2 more MONTHS, so they will very gradually drop the prices, until they are 90% off and all you can find are drooled on copies of "The Wiggles" episodes and 12 copies of Gigli.

And yeah, it's really REALLY annoying that they are selling the season sets PER DISK. So any idiot can come in and buy, say, disk 3 of Season 8 of The Simpsons. It's really ridiculous. They should sell them "per season" only and at maybe 3-4.00 a disk.

[quote name='Cmosfm']Well if you don't like what I bought then stay the hell out of my thread, seriously, I didn't ask you to come in and debate what you consider a "cheap ass deal" and I really don't care to hear anymore of your "I'm no ebay whore" BS.[/quote]

All I'm gonna say before I shut up is hoarding hurts the chances for NORMAL people to get a deal on games and movies because of all the aholes who buy out half of a store, only to gouge the prices and resell to morons who keep the inflated prices up there.

[quote name='Jedi1979']this is straight nonsense[/quote]

Thanks for critiquing my post. If you don't like what I have to say, put me on your ignore list. That goes for any other slappies who feel they 'gotta respond to my 'nonsense'.

Oh and in case my posts here and on the Kmart thread aren't proof enough, I think all fuckin hoarders and price gougers should get banned from CAG and forced to go back to Slick Deals or Fat Wallet, where they'll fit right in.

Really nice find on the sailor moon boxset. That was at a hollywood video?! That and the massive collection of boxes and manuals are what gets me hot.

[quote name='IAmTheCheapestGamer']All I'm gonna say before I shut up is hoarding hurts the chances for NORMAL people to get a deal on games and movies because of all the aholes who buy out half of a store, only to gouge the prices and resell to morons who keep the inflated prices up there.

Thanks for critiquing my post. If you don't like what I have to say, put me on your ignore list. That goes for any other slappies who feel they 'gotta respond to my 'nonsense'.

Oh and in case my posts here and on the Kmart thread aren't proof enough, I think all fuckin hoarders and price gougers should get banned from CAG and forced to go back to Slick Deals or Fat Wallet, where they'll fit right in.[/quote]

like i said...nonsense...all you do is preach about hoarders and how you are so cheap...we get it, we all get it, now do everybody a favor and stop preaching about it...sometimes i feel like getting you a copy of Intelligent Cube just so you would shut the fuck up

let me ask you this...if you saw 4 copies of Marvel vs Capcom 2 for the PS2 in great shape for $15.99 each, would you buy 1 or all 4?

I wouldn't buy ANY, since I dislike ALL Capcom fighting games and I don't do Ebay, so why would I have any NEED for 4 copies or even 1 copy of MvC2?

Oh and where's my copy of Intelligent Qube?:lol:

LOL @ people who put down other's deals/snags but then when they think they got a good deal it's BONZO GONZO because of the Ebay prices. I agree with IATC. Selling doubles or selling something you don't want is one thing but hoarding stuff just to sell on EBay is ridiculous. Ironically that's the same guy who told me to get a job when I noticed that my Gamecube collection cost me nothing.

[quote name='IAmTheCheapestGamer']I wouldn't buy ANY, since I dislike ALL Capcom fighting games and I don't do Ebay, so why would I have any NEED for 4 copies or even 1 copy of MvC2?[/quote]

then you just threw away an easy $300

you do trade on CAG dont you? maybe trade them for games you want or hook CAGs up with the game at cost

[quote name='Jedi1979']then you just threw away an easy $300

you do trade on CAG dont you? maybe trade them for games you want or hook CAGs up with the game at cost[/quote]

You mean like I'm currently doing with copies of Rogue Galaxy and Disgaea 2 from the Kmart clearance. As long as the copies exist around me, I'm hooking people from CAG up who seem to genuinely be unable to find them and truly want them to play at or near my cost. If anything, I'm making MAYBE a buck on each.

That's how this site seemed to be when I joined, but lately, it's all about people buying the games and then tacking on an immediate $20 because 'that's what it goes for on Ebay'. :roll: You want Ebay prices, sell it ON Ebay then and don't gloat about hoarding 90 fuckin copies of a game, because then that just makes you a big asshole.:booty:

[quote name='IAmTheCheapestGamer']You mean like I'm currently doing with copies of Rogue Galaxy and Disgaea 2 from the Kmart clearance. As long as the copies exist around me, I'm hooking people from CAG up who seem to genuinely be unable to find them and truly want them at or near my cost. If anything, I'm making MAYBE a buck on each.

That's how this site seemed to be when I joined, but lately, it's all about people buying the games and then tacking on an immediate $20 because 'that's what it goes for on Ebay'. :roll: You want Ebay prices, sell it ON Ebay then and don't gloat about hoarding 90 fuckin copies of a game, because then that just makes you a big asshole.:booty:[/quote]

lol...its like i get an automated response from you ...i actually agree with you and i have actually done the same with hooking up Cags with games at cost...but i do pick and choose who i pass the deals on to since people who have never posted before suddenly appear...

i do get tired of the same response from the same person ALL the time...just relax, get your deals that are good for you and stop preaching all over the boards, it really isnt necessary

Well yes, I do trade on CAG, but again, I wouldn't even pick up the MvC2 game(s).

And 'preaching'? You mean my constant tirades about people hoarding shit that others might've bought for the sake of actually getting a deal and not to just be a profiteer on?

But again, that's 'preaching', isn't it?

The only person on here who I find ridiculous in regards to hoarding is somebody named Paco. He claims to have ridiculous amounts of rare games. That's great and all but at some point I get tired with buying stuff just to resell. I like to buy stuff to enjoy it.

Found another closing HV. Not a whole lot worth nabbing. I'll wait and hope they drop the prices for controllers and what not even more. I'm eyeing their Atari 2600-styled 360 controller and regular 360 controllers and would love for them to drop to incredible prices.

I did come out with two games, though.

Street Fighter Alpha Anthology (PS2) - $14.99
Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time (GCN) - $12.00

I guess cause Zelda didn't have the Master Quest disc, the guy marked it down further for me.

I did see a few games that some others might be interested in. They had Conker: Live & Reloaded, Metal Gear Solid 2: Subsistence, LoZ: Wind Waker, Shenmue II, Sonic Adventure DX, Ratchet & Clank, Heavenly Sword (new), and a few others that'll come to me eventually.

Damned place was also selling DVD boxset discs seperately.

[quote name='Jedi1979']lol...its like i get an automated response from you ...i actually agree with you and i have actually done the same with hooking up Cags with games at cost...but i do pick and choose who i pass the deals on to since people who have never posted before suddenly appear...

i do get tired of the same response from the same person ALL the time...just relax, get your deals that are good for you and stop preaching all over the boards, it really isnt necessary[/QUOTE]

I agree with you 100% man.

I personally believe that IATCH gets so mad because he can't find the games he wants at what he wants to pay for them. If you go back and read his posts in the past it's all right there. He's also recommended people to sell on ebay, and he can justify that as well with his same old canned response. Oh, but if someone mentions that they bought a game to sell on ebay...right down their throat he goes.

Honestly, NOT ebaying every once in a while is stupid. Seriously, he treats it like it's some kind of crime against humanity...like ebay is morally wrong or something. So I buy a couple copies of MvC2 to sell on ebay, what's the big deal? Who cares!? Seriously...he needs to pull his head out of his ass and stop acting like some savior of the CAG forums.

When's the last time he sold a game on here for next to nothing that goes for good amount on ebay?

Exactly.

[quote name='Cmosfm']I agree with you 100% man.

I personally believe that IATCH gets so mad because he can't find the games he wants at what he wants to pay for them. If you go back and read his posts in the past it's all right there. He's also recommended people to sell on ebay, and he can justify that as well with his same old canned response. Oh, but if someone mentions that they bought a game to sell on ebay...right down their throat he goes.

Honestly, NOT ebaying every once in a while is stupid. Seriously, he treats it like it's some kind of crime against humanity...like ebay is morally wrong or something. So I buy a couple copies of MvC2 to sell on ebay, what's the big deal? Who cares!? Seriously...he needs to pull his head out of his ass and stop acting like some savior of the CAG forums.

When's the last time he sold a game on here for next to nothing that goes for good amount on ebay?

Exactly.[/quote]

Hmmmmm....let's see, I'm selling a copy of Rogue Galaxy that I got from Kmart for $10.60(w/tax) and I'm shipping it out to another CAG for $15. After packaging and postage, I'm making $1 or a lil more maybe. And this is while people on here are gouging and pricing stuff like Disgaea 2 and Rogue Galaxy at $30 a pop.

I'm also selling Rogue Galaxy and Disgaea 2 for $30 shipped, shipping via USPS Priority Mail Flat Rate envelope, since it comes out to about the same as sending both first class anyway. I also sold Vagrant Story, complete, for $25, after buying it for $10 and tax, but again, I shipped via Priority Mail, plus I added sig confirmation, so there went $7 of the $15 I was 'making'.

Only time I've made decent $$$ and you could get on me about is when people ordered 3-4 of my 4 guides for $11 shipped guide deals, since I got 95 or more percent of them for .01 or free. But, the money I made from those, went to ship out guides and games that I simply traded with others here.

I am definitely NOT here to make a ton of cash, though I do know what has some value(like the RPG guides in my TL, which have since all been marked TRADE ONLY) and that does not leave my hands easily anymore.

Either way, it's good seeing my 'martyrdom' being talked about, as usual. At least I try n give people deals on stuff I get cheap whenever possible, unlike the gougers and Ebayers.

And in all honesty, the only times I've told people to try Ebaying a game is when both FYE and Gamestop give shit value for it. At least on the open market of Ebay, they would have people from across the country and around the world looking at it and maybe someone would want it.

bread's done
Back