Poster for sale @ $9.99 - Game Informer 30 Chracters who defined a decade.

How about people that SHOULDN'T be on there? The kid from Bully, the dude from Lost Odyssey.. I would've loved if the would've found a way to incorporate the spy from TF2.. maybe have him dressed up as a red medic, but he would have the blue spy mask and he was about to stab someone.

This poster is one artists take on the characters in each game. If you want a better representation then google each of them and make a background collage that looks more "realistic". As of now it seems like everyone who's complained has taken plenty of classes on the topic and works as a curator. Secondly, if you really are taking offense that someone here or there is missing, open a window, and realize that caring that much about a fictional character isn't normal. If it is that big a deal to you then definitely bookmark, bet, and campaign all over the next GameFAQ character vote. I'm sure your digital crush would appreciate it. A lot. Hahaha!

Based on the merits of what it is, I think it's really interesting and will pick one up with PUR points if/when offered. I am all about conversation pieces and this one has plenty hidden within it!

Note:
This link gives you the best viewing: http://kotaku.com/5732667/own-a-panoramic-piece-of-game-informer-history

[quote name='Scorch']How about people that SHOULDN'T be on there? The kid from Bully, the dude from Lost Odyssey.. I would've loved if the would've found a way to incorporate the spy from TF2.. maybe have him dressed up as a red medic, but he would have the blue spy mask and he was about to stab someone.[/QUOTE]

characters I think shouldn't be on there are Jade, glados, Raz, Tim, Loghain, bully kid, Elena, Kos-Mos, Bonnie, Wander.

Now that doesn't mean I didn't like those games, they just didn't define anything or are secondary characters that shouldn't be on there.

[quote name='TheToE']This poster defines in one image what gaming has succumbed to.[/QUOTE]

whats that? meaningless sequels for a quick cash-in? :lol:

I wish they would do this for the Bioshock Infinite covers. Especially since every copy of the book had a big white address box covering a large portion of the advertisements on the back.

They dropped the ball on this poster.
I don't even know/recognize some of these characters right away.
This should be for characters who are INFLUENTIAL.

Hidden Gem games don't count because if they were so influential they wouldn't be hidden gems huh? It's not like katamari for example spawned a bunch of lets roll shit into a ball games! (i like katamari by the way)

I mean this should be for characters that all people recognize off the bat.
Example: i don't own a xbox but i know who Master cheif is, i'm sure people who don't own a playstation know who Kratos is !

[quote name='panzerfaust']lol wow, western bias much?[/QUOTE]

I think even Japanese devs will concede that western games have dominated the past decade.

[quote name='Rosterking']Damn, this sucks...
Reply with which charcters you wish are deserving and I will use my photshopping skills...[/QUOTE]

Aweso
$1 for pic... :p
this is an outrage!

They should not have multiple characters from a franchise. The Mass Western audience does not give a fuck about Lost Odyssey. Notables that where missed this pass decade:

Dante - Devil May Cry Series
Pikmin - Pikmin series
Big Daddy -Bioshock series
Raiden - Metal Gear Solid Series
Amaterau - Okami
Carmine - Gears of War series
Sora - Kingdom Hearts series
Daxter - Jak and Daxter series
Captain Quark - Ratchet and Clank series

Any of those are better than double dipping in same franchises or Lost Odyssey. Lost Odyssey was okay, but nothing awesome character wise. These are just off the top pf my head of new characters last decade. My ass can produce a better list than what Game Informer did.

[quote name='GUNNM']Even though DMC is the reason why GOW type games have come around dante is not on the poster. got it[/QUOTE]

And Ninja Gaiden perfected it ;)

[quote name='rapsodist']I think even Japanese devs will concede that western games have dominated the past decade.[/QUOTE]

Except for Wii which was the most influential/best selling gaming system this gen.

Not a fan of the art either.

just my opinion, but the artwork is pretty bad. looks very messy and sloppy. not worth it. couldn't game informer have gotten a different artist?

[quote name='VaultDweller']i agree, also it looks kinda crappy, my sister can draw better than that lol[/QUOTE]

totally agree. poster looks very amateur. smudged the crap out of it.

Funny all the people who mention Dante. In that article Dante is actually in there as a character in the lousy character section. I dusagreed with most of the article. It was pretty shitty.

[quote name='CaptainJoel']Dreamcast isn't on it because the only thing the Dreamcast defined in the past 10 years is how to fail at making a console.[/QUOTE]

This guy is the ultimate comedian.

Im sure when they deisnged this the meeting for it went something "Well, just grab some people that todays kids will think is hip and swinging, slap them together and price it at 10 bucks. They wont care because it has master chef and that gorton freedam on or whoever the hell they are. Just make it happen we need money and our game magazines name on kids walls so they will come into gamestop and give us more money"

I wouldnt put that on my wall if paid me 10 dollars. Unless I could put it up, claim my 10 dollars and then immediatley remove it.

Even the article in that issue this was created for was self indulgent tripe.

[quote name='solisnk']I don't see Solid Snake...[/QUOTE]

Only includes characters introduced last decade. Snake was introduced in... 1988?

I don't really like the poster... like many of you, I just don't agree with all of the selections.

This is just art, I don't think they need licenses. Isn't there a copyright law where you can make your own interpretation of copyright materiel and it qualifies as it's own idea, or something? That's why people can make their own youtube versions of copyright music, and it won't get pulled down.
I dunno, you guys probably know more about that than me.

Either way, I don't really like when people try to make lists like this. It's really just editor's favorites.

Be honest, CAG, other than being awesome, what has Big Daddy really influenced? What game do you look at and go "oh, well this was clearly influenced by Bioshock?" And by the same token, be honest, Game Informer, when was the last time you said "this game is obviously a huge ripoff of Assassin's fucking Creed 2?" The reason these kinds of lists never work is because it's impossible to ever be objective with them. Some game you hate is always more influential than your favorite. Incidentally, their top-ten of 2010 lists in this month's issue are basically all "I played Mass Effect 2 and nothing else for the whole year," so that's the kind of people we're dealing with in the first place.

If we're talking truly, truly influential, Max Payne, because it introduced bullet time which became all but standard in modern gaming.

Last edited by a moderator:
It's okay, but too many side characters taking up spaces instead of more franchises being shown.

Elena Fisher is not needed, nor is that girl from Red Dead.
Prince of Persia doesn't belong since he was introduced (as a franchise character) back in the 1980s, so he's disqualified.

5 Characters from Rockstar games is a bit overkill, and no Raiden? Seriously? The fact that this character caused so much controversy means he deserves to be on the list (along with The Boss who is on it).

Just a few changes would have made this artwork great. :(

[quote name='Chocoburger']Prince of Persia doesn't belong since he was introduced (as a franchise character) back in the 1980s, so he's disqualified.[/QUOTE]

He's not even on the poster...

Terrible poster. Like someone said, nice idea, but terrible choices and art.

Two glaring omissions were Dante and Marcus Fenix - the kind of characters you'd instantly recognise even if you've never played their games before.

It looks like they forgot about the first half of the decade. No Tommy Vercetti? Side note: Doesn't it feel like Vice City came out more than 10 years ago?

Did they even finish Red Dead or Final Fantasy X? These are good characters but I wouldn't say they defined anything. Poster looks ok though, thanks for sharing.

[quote name='kazunori']Terrible poster. Like someone said, nice idea, but terrible choices and art.

Two glaring omissions were Dante and Marcus Fenix - the kind of characters you'd instantly recognise even if you've never played their games before.[/QUOTE]

I was thinking that too. Marcus Fenix. Although the character didn't really "influence" anything, it did perfect the cover/shoot system that kill.switch tried to do.

i liked the poster and tried using my GS coupons from online purchases before...stupid thing wont' work and the phone service won't help :/

its like having $12 in your atm! >.

[quote name='lionheart4life']It looks like they forgot about the first half of the decade. No Tommy Vercetti? [/QUOTE]

Vercetti is in there. Right side of the panorama.

this poster doesn't look half-bad. And it also has a horizontal layout going for it, which is just what I need to finish covering the huge gap above my door in my poster filled room.

Does it include free shipping, and can it be picked up in-store? Sorry if that was answered..I just didn't ant to read all the posts haha

[quote name='supermodestmouse']i liked the poster and tried using my GS coupons from online purchases before...stupid thing wont' work and the phone service won't help :/

its like having $12 in your atm! >.

bread's done
Back