Power Gig: Rise of the Six String (game only) $8.99 new at Gamestop b & m

The trade in value for this just plummeted at BB. Now I'm feeling like I definitely wasted my money. Oh well, might as well 'chievie whore it (if I can endure it).

I haven't gotten to the Clapton songs yet, but I hope they are good.

[quote name='Velo214']trade in for 6 if you don't like it[/QUOTE]

I'm probably just going to exercise my 7 day return policy on it. Glad I bought it used. Wish I did the same thing for Truth or Lies.

I ordered this and the first Dead Space new form the $15 glitch for $13 total. I'd have been happy to pay that for Dead Space, anyway, so I figure Power Gig was free :)

Picked this game up used thanks to a gift card I had (along with DJ Hero 2). I knew the complaints coming in, so I expected it to be awful. I was at least glad I could see right away why so many people hated this game.

1. The calibration is terrible. And the method they give you for calibrating is pathetic, expecting human eyes to match up sight and sound in 5ms increments.

2. To make matters worse, the game deals with "gradations of right", a la DDR. You can play a note "perfect" or play a note "good". Ironically, if you want a good score (as in even more than one seal...aka star), playing "good" notes won't help you. For a game like this, that's a terrible idea. You should either hit the note or miss it. With this kind of system, your calibration is the difference in "perfect" and "good". And thanks to my first point, that doesn't make things easy or very fun.

Thankfully, you CAN program your calibration manually. So, as a last ditch effort to make this game playable, I decided to look up my RB3 calibration numbers and just plug them into the game. Amazingly, this worked better than anything and allowed me to play on "Master" level and get 5 seals and the 200 note streak achievement on my first song.

I still doubt this will make Power Gig a great game, but for anyone who tried it once and got frustrated by missed notes or an abundance of "good" notes, try plugging in your RB calibration numbers and see what you think.

N8rockerasu, you do know that activision just cancelled and killed all of their music games (dj hero, guitar hero). They are no more. And DLC support ends at the end of the month.

Just FYI in case you wanna get you DJ Hero money back.

I bought this for $10 around Christmas and my son and I beat it with RB/GH guitars.

Why did we beat the game? We were trying to unlock the few good songs the game had but this game has a story progression mode, worse than RB1 had, that unlocked songs.

By the time we did unlock the good songs, we were so sick of the game that we didn't even enjoy them.

Just a note.. The game does NOT support bass at all, nor the ability to play as two of the same instruments.

It is almost identical to Rock Revolution, so if you hated that game, you will hate this one.

It does make you appreciate your Rock Band 2 & 3 more after playing it though.

[quote name='EYEL1NER']However, John Mayer's 'No Such Thing' and the song 'Swim' are pretty fun to play. Just wish they were in a competent game instead.[/QUOTE]

"Swim" is actually DLC for Rock Band 3

[quote name='n8rockerasu']
I still doubt this will make Power Gig a great game, but for anyone who tried it once and got frustrated by missed notes or an abundance of "good" notes, try plugging in your RB calibration numbers and see what you think.[/QUOTE]

I'm sure it does make the game a lot more tolerable, but the fact that the developers didn't do this right in 2010 when GH did it right years ago, that's just unacceptable.

Oh well, it's sad that music games are going away so fast.

I got this game for free with the "buy two, get $15" glitch from gamestop, and I still feel cheated.
Singing is the only thing I enjoy. I've tried calibrating it a dozen times (including my RB 3 numbers) and the damn thing still won't work right. The graphics are so bad and it takes ages of playing the same songs over and over to unlock anything.
I don't mind the singing, and I like how you get "good" or "perfect" on pitch with songs, that's a good idea. Doing it with guitar and drums, however, sucks.
There are maybe...six songs on here that aren't on RB as DLC or on disc that I wish I had on it. Other than that, it really makes me realize how much better RB3 is compared to most other music games (especially since Guitar Hero is officially dead and buried).
I'm going to try to goozex it, then if that doesn't work I'll sell it here or on amazon or something. I honestly don't even want this thing in my house. It's that bad.

I paid $2.50 for rock revolution just so I could see how bad it was and own a horrible piece of gaming history. I wanna do the same with this game but I will wait till it gets lower in price thanks to your many mini-reviews

[quote name='jond76']N8rockerasu, you do know that activision just cancelled and killed all of their music games (dj hero, guitar hero). They are no more. And DLC support ends at the end of the month.

Just FYI in case you wanna get you DJ Hero money back.[/QUOTE]

Yes, I do know that. That doesn't stop DJ Hero 2 from being an amazing game with plenty of songs on the disc to justify a $19.99 price. I don't regret that purchase one bit.

As for Power Gig, I played some more last night and it is annoying that they tell you to choose 3 songs for a gig, but then you need to basically play through all 5 songs before you can move on to the next venue anyway. Might as well just make it like old school Guitar Hero and force you to just go through a list. I appreciate the effort of the "story", I guess, but it is pretty weak. Still, I can't expect Uncharted when I only paid $8. That's like people who rent Jennifer's Body and get pissed because it's not The Shawshank Redemption. Keep your expectations realistic.

Also, IMO, Power Gig is better than Rock Revolution.

[quote name='n8rockerasu']Yes, I do know that. That doesn't stop DJ Hero 2 from being an amazing game with plenty of songs on the disc to justify a $19.99 price. I don't regret that purchase one bit.

As for Power Gig, I played some more last night and it is annoying that they tell you to choose 3 songs for a gig, but then you need to basically play through all 5 songs before you can move on to the next venue anyway. Might as well just make it like old school Guitar Hero and force you to just go through a list. I appreciate the effort of the "story", I guess, but it is pretty weak. Still, I can't expect Uncharted when I only paid $8. That's like people who rent Jennifer's Body and get pissed because it's not The Shawshank Redemption. Keep your expectations realistic.

Also, IMO, Power Gig is better than Rock Revolution.[/QUOTE]

If the game is bad, the game is bad, regardless of how much you paid for it.

You might not feel as much remorse since the game was only $8, but it still doesn't compensate for the game's horrible quality.

[quote name='VyseArcad1a']If the game is bad, the game is bad, regardless of how much you paid for it.

You might not feel as much remorse since the game was only $8, but it still doesn't compensate for the game's horrible quality.[/QUOTE]

It doesn't, but some of my favorite artists are in this game and not in RB. That's what convinced me to bite the bullet. I'll suffer through some bad gameplay (though not "unplayable") to play Eric Clapton, Dave Matthews, John Mayer, etc. That makes it worth $8 to me. Once you get it calibrated right, it's really not that terrible. It's just "not Rock Band". If you can't get past that, you won't have any fun with it.

bread's done
Back