Power Gig: Rise of the SixString band bundle $40 at BigLots

ZombieToast

CAGiversary!
Feedback
10 (100%)
I searched around and didn't find this, so hopefully I'm not posting a duplicate. Anyway, I just checked the new BigLots ad and noticed that the Power Gig: Rise of the SixString band bundle will be on sale for $40 from April 10 to April 14 (while supplies last). This includes the game, guitar, microphone, drums, and sticks! Not bad for something that was originally $200.

If you'd like to see the ad, it's right here:
hxxp://www.biglots.com/weekly-Ad/4244
(Sorry, I can't post links yet.)

If the URL doesn't work, just go to their site and click on Weekly Ad. Although the ad only shows the Xbox 360 logo, it might be available for PS3 as well. They're never clear on these things.

This game didn't get the most positive reviews, but for only $40, I'll be there first thing on Sunday. It's worth it just for the guitar.

Ooh, last page shows Rockstar Espresso for 50Cents. Never tried it/knew it existed, but I'll be checking it out.

b755415_5.jpg

Only good use for the Power Gig games are as doorstops. They've dropped perhaps the fastest I've ever seen ANY rhythm/music game drop. I think they're down to like $9 NEW on Gamestop's website.

$9 for game only at GS, yes. $25 (or $40 w/ silly air-drums) for the game plus a working electric guitar? Not bad, even for a POS guitar.

Supposedly the Power Gig guitar has real strings on it too, though I've never seen one besides in the bundle(s).

And even if you can't stand the game/bundle, you could always trade it into CEX if you're in NYC or one of the other places with one of their stores and MAKE money cuz the TIV is $48 for the guitar/game bundle.;)

Yeah - before RB3 was coming out, these guys basically called out RB talking about having a "real" guitar... Then it came out and it was a little piece of shit plastic guitar... and Harmonix announced a Squier for pro mode... Poor Power Gig was destined to bite the big one.

It's too bad this game didn't fare better because I actually was pretty interested in it until it came out. Oh well, now's my chance, eh?

[quote name='CXK']Does this guitar happen to work with RB3 Pro mode?[/QUOTE]
No, unfortunately. It's not a MIDI guitar, so it will only work with the regular mode. That is, unless some kind of patch was released, but I don't think so.

[quote name='crazedracerguy']Yeah - before RB3 was coming out, these guys basically called out RB talking about having a "real" guitar... Then it came out and it was a little piece of shit plastic guitar... and Harmonix announced a Squier for pro mode... Poor Power Gig was destined to bite the big one.[/QUOTE]

Not to mention the fact it's just like playing guitar hero all over again. Theres no real redeeming qualities to this game sadly...Rock Band's pro mode not only blows this shit out of the water, but it blew itself out of the water even the instant it was released.

On a side note, was I the only one who noticed they never released any gameplay footage in either the trailers or footage period? I just remember the ads showing people playing, but you never saw anything. Kinda makes me think they knew it was destined for disaster from the get go

funny though, it is a "real" guitar in the sense that it has strings, but the body is still plastic lol. I just got my fender squire and as soon as i get a chance to try it I'll be happy

What I think is funny is that they made such a big deal about having a way more realistic guitar and then they give us freakin' air drums.

What's also funny is that they probably spent more on those 10k or so guitar hero guitars they threw into that active volcano than the game actually did in sales.

Was looking for this to add to my (irrational & unnecessary) weird peripheral collection.

(Jax, FL area) No bundles of either kind in Mandarin Big Lots, and 2 PS3/1 360 guitar bundle left at Orange Park.

I didn't see ANY of these bundles at the Big Lots I went to the other night, so either they sold out already or the stock does fluctuate between stores in the chain and maybe they got very few or none at all.

I picked up one here in Orlando yesterday. They didn't have them on the floor and I had to ask and they grabbed one from the back. They said they had to keep them off the floor for loss prevention as that particular store had 9 Guitar Hero bundles stolen back in the day and a bunch of other stuff.

So, I guess if you don't see it out on the floor, ask a sales rep and they might be hiding them in the back.

[quote name='Shagrath']I picked up one here in Orlando yesterday. They didn't have them on the floor and I had to ask and they grabbed one from the back. They said they had to keep them off the floor for loss prevention as that particular store had 9 Guitar Hero bundles stolen back in the day and a bunch of other stuff.

So, I guess if you don't see it out on the floor, ask a sales rep and they might be hiding them in the back.[/QUOTE]
How the HELL does someone walk out with a GH bundle, especially when the registers are typically right next to the front door of the store?

Then again, a couple guys here walked out with 2-4 LCD HDtv's on those pickup carts from Best Buy around here, even with the 'omg lemme check your receipt' guy standing right by the front door.:lol:

So I don't blame them for having them in the back, but it's a pretty big item and the only registers to be rung out at are up front, so if an employee is right there how do they even get by with them?

I found 4 of the $25 guitar bundles for 360 today, at the Grand River/Orchard Lake store in metro Detroit. They were not there on Thursday night when I first checked, so I'm guessing they were being held in the back waiting for the ad to start, or else had just come in on the truck and had not yet made it to the floor. I did not see any of the $40 full band version, or any PS3 copies, but the 360 guitar version was my first choice anyway.

[quote name='DJP519']$9 for game only at GS, yes. $25 (or $40 w/ silly air-drums) for the game plus a working electric guitar? Not bad, even for a POS guitar.[/QUOTE]

RB3 is down to $20 now.

Don't confuse this with a regular guitar, there are so many things wrong with this that make it not what you want if you are going to get it for the fact that it works plugged into an amp. Not the least of which is that it is not only plastic, but not even a full size guitar, it is quite a bit smaller.

Just saying.

[quote name='IAmTheCheapestGamer']How the HELL does someone walk out with a GH bundle, especially when the registers are typically right next to the front door of the store?

Then again, a couple guys here walked out with 2-4 LCD HDtv's on those pickup carts from Best Buy around here, even with the 'omg lemme check your receipt' guy standing right by the front door.:lol:

So I don't blame them for having them in the back, but it's a pretty big item and the only registers to be rung out at are up front, so if an employee is right there how do they even get by with them?[/QUOTE]

It's illegal to physically restrain anyone, even a crook. If you accidentally broke his arm stopping him, you could be sued for physical damages...

[quote name='funkflexmctough']It's illegal to physically restrain anyone, even a crook. If you accidentally broke his arm stopping him, you could be sued for physical damages...[/QUOTE]
I seem to remember the one court case where some guy got hit with a bat while breaking into someone's house. He sued the homeowner and WON.:roll:

EDIT: While not the case I was thinking of, this one is equally on the level of WTF.

http://www.wisn.com/r/9950016/detail.html

I was extremely tempted to pick this up, but everyone's extreme hate for it, made me think even the guitar wasn't even worth it. Seems like picking up a squier guitar for rock band 3 would be a lot better in the end.

@IAmTheCheapestGamer I remember that on the news awhile back, if not that one an extremely similar case. Isn't the law silly sometimes? We need some hardknock justice on the streets lol.

[quote name='GeoHolyhart']I was extremely tempted to pick this up, but everyone's extreme hate for it, made me think even the guitar wasn't even worth it. Seems like picking up a squier guitar for rock band 3 would be a lot better in the end.

@IAmTheCheapestGamer I remember that on the news awhile back, if not that one an extremely similar case. Isn't the law silly sometimes? We need some hardknock justice on the streets lol.[/QUOTE]

It will be, it is way more expensive, but if you are going to spend the money on a real musical instrument, you might as well get the best IMO.

My squier is sitting here taunting me, saying "PLAY ME, PLAY ME" but sadly i can't :(

[quote name='M3wThr33']RB3 is down to $20 now.[/QUOTE]

Yes, but, a) I already have it, and b) what does that have to do with my post that you quoted? I'm not sure, but if you're implying that I should play pro-mode in RB3 instead, let me know when the pro guitar is available for 90% off, okay?

For what it's worth, I took my "sixstring" out of the box and played around with it a little. Haven't yet booted up the game, that's the next step. But the guitar itself does have a pretty lousy tone, and it seems virtually impossible to get the low E string into tune. My tuner tells me that it's in tune, but my ear tells me that it just doesn't match the other strings. Whatever. Also, the overall size and length of this guitar is roughly equivalent to the size of a GH:WT or GH5 guitar, and as such, all the frets are narrower than a standard guitar. I'm not a very skilled guitar player, but I do know a handful of simple licks, but the narrow frets are causing me to miss notes that I know. I'm sure I could get used to it, but yeah. Just confirming the earlier comments that the guitar is pretty much a POS. Still, for $25, it's hard to complain much.

[quote name='DJP519']Yes, but, a) I already have it, and b) what does that have to do with my post that you quoted? I'm not sure, but if you're implying that I should play pro-mode in RB3 instead, let me know when the pro guitar is available for 90% off, okay?

For what it's worth, I took my "sixstring" out of the box and played around with it a little. Haven't yet booted up the game, that's the next step. But the guitar itself does have a pretty lousy tone, and it seems virtually impossible to get the low E string into tune. My tuner tells me that it's in tune, but my ear tells me that it just doesn't match the other strings. Whatever. Also, the overall size and length of this guitar is roughly equivalent to the size of a GH:WT or GH5 guitar, and as such, all the frets are narrower than a standard guitar. I'm not a very skilled guitar player, but I do know a handful of simple licks, but the narrow frets are causing me to miss notes that I know. I'm sure I could get used to it, but yeah. Just confirming the earlier comments that the guitar is pretty much a POS. Still, for $25, it's hard to complain much.[/QUOTE]

That was my point really. If you are really trying to learn, or currently learning then this guitar is not what you want. With it being smaller and the sound not being right you will pick up some pretty bad habits from this and I imagine digress quite a bit on playing the real thing. I am learning the real thing so I wanted something that takes itself more seriously as a real guitar.

And yes, I know the squier is expensive, but I worked like 13 hours of OT for it, so that works for me.

[quote name='DJP519']Yes, but, a) I already have it, and b) what does that have to do with my post that you quoted? I'm not sure, but if you're implying that I should play pro-mode in RB3 instead, let me know when the pro guitar is available for 90% off, okay?

For what it's worth, I took my "sixstring" out of the box and played around with it a little. Haven't yet booted up the game, that's the next step. But the guitar itself does have a pretty lousy tone, and it seems virtually impossible to get the low E string into tune. My tuner tells me that it's in tune, but my ear tells me that it just doesn't match the other strings. Whatever. Also, the overall size and length of this guitar is roughly equivalent to the size of a GH:WT or GH5 guitar, and as such, all the frets are narrower than a standard guitar. I'm not a very skilled guitar player, but I do know a handful of simple licks, but the narrow frets are causing me to miss notes that I know. I'm sure I could get used to it, but yeah. Just confirming the earlier comments that the guitar is pretty much a POS. Still, for $25, it's hard to complain much.[/QUOTE]

That was my point really. If you are really trying to learn, or currently learning then this guitar is not what you want. With it being smaller and the sound not being right you will pick up some pretty bad habits from this and I imagine digress quite a bit on playing the real thing. I am learning the real thing so I wanted something that takes itself more seriously as a real guitar.

And yes, I know the squier is expensive, but I worked like 13 hours of OT for it, so that works for me.

It's not illegal to physically restrain someone if they're a "crook". Ever heard of a citizen's arrest? Yeah, it's legal all over the country, and many parts of the world. The type of crime that allows a citizen's arrest depends on state laws, but generally all felonies and certain misdemeanors are included.

As far as the castle doctrines are concerned (injuries vs. break-ins etc.), it really depends on state or local laws. Most often it's a case-by-case basis and depends on how threatening the criminal is. If an unarmed robber breaks into your house, raids your refridgerator, takes your wallet, tries to run away, and you shoot him in the face, you're probably not walking away innocent.

They ended up only having two copies on the floor at my BigLots. There may have been more in the back (and perhaps more at the other stores), but I didn't want to take any chances, so I snagged one as soon as I walked in the door. Heh.

[quote name='IAmTheCheapestGamer']How the HELL does someone walk out with a GH bundle, especially when the registers are typically right next to the front door of the store?

So I don't blame them for having them in the back, but it's a pretty big item and the only registers to be rung out at are up front, so if an employee is right there how do they even get by with them?[/QUOTE]
I'm not sure if it's illegal to physically restrain thieves, but I know most stores have strict policies against it. At many stores, they can't even follow you. I know that at a lot of the stores in my area, they can only follow you as far as the front door. Once you leave the building, they have to stop. So, people very well could've just snagged the bundles and run.

[quote name='dmdragon']Don't confuse this with a regular guitar, there are so many things wrong with this that make it not what you want if you are going to get it for the fact that it works plugged into an amp. Not the least of which is that it is not only plastic, but not even a full size guitar, it is quite a bit smaller.

Just saying.[/QUOTE]
Yeah, I expected this to be smaller than a real guitar, but I was surprised once I actually saw it in person. It feels so tiny. It's about the size of my mariachi guitar, if not smaller. Perfect size for my wife. I think the frets are fine once you mess around with it for a little while, but they don't allow the strings to vibrate very well. It's still pretty decent for the price, though. You can't really get a great sound out of it, but it's a great starter guitar for kids.

[quote name='xskaxninjax']It's not illegal to physically restrain someone if they're a "crook". Ever heard of a citizen's arrest? Yeah, it's legal all over the country, and many parts of the world. The type of crime that allows a citizen's arrest depends on state laws, but generally all felonies and certain misdemeanors are included.

As far as the castle doctrines are concerned (injuries vs. break-ins etc.), it really depends on state or local laws. Most often it's a case-by-case basis and depends on how threatening the criminal is. If an unarmed robber breaks into your house, raids your refridgerator, takes your wallet, tries to run away, and you shoot him in the face, you're probably not walking away innocent.[/QUOTE]
Hey now. If he steals my lunchmeat outta the fridge and takes a chug outta my bottle of milk I'm giving chase and I'm gonna maim him at least.;)

I loves me some luncheon meat.:D
Not really, as too much ham gives me an attack of gout.:cry:

I'm just saying that you guys are talking up RB3 like it's a messiah and it's pretty much the worst selling RB ever, and the accessories are sitting on the shelf, too. Give it a month and those guitars will be down in price, too.

I got a review copy of this one, and I can say that both the guitar and the game are pretty crappy.

I just had a kid though, so once he's old enough, I'll let him jam on this little guitar with my starter amp. The small size and light weight should work well for him when he's a bit older, letting the two of us jam together :)

But yeah outside of that, I don't see much reason to grab this. You're not doing yourself any favors by dragging another damn music peripheral into the house. Don't even get me started on the stupid air drums...

Picked up the Guitar+game bundle (PS3) for $25 at the Polaris Big Lots in Columbus, OH - they had two more left. Not planning on playing the game at all, but for $25 the smaller-sized guitar will be great for my son to fiddle with while I'm using my Squire for Pro Guitar on Rock Band 3. He always wants to strum it when I'm playing, but you know, I'd rather not have my 2-year-old breaking my $300 guitar - he can strum the $25 one instead. Maybe in a few years he can learn to play it.

My Big Lots had a couple of copies of the guitar/game for 360 and ps3 at the registers up front, but down on the floor where you couldn't see them. I just happen to glance over and see them there and asked to get one. Man that guitar is crap. I'm just gonna trade the game out to goozex, cause its such a stinker. I'll keep the guitar though just as a conversation piece for the living room.

Sold...fuck Power Gig, I need some energy drinks...hah...keep an eye out for the huge 32 oz bottles of Monster for $1.50 as well

[quote name='Kerig']Ooh, last page shows Rockstar Espresso for 50Cents. Never tried it/knew it existed, but I'll be checking it out.

b755415_5.jpg
[/QUOTE]

Blah, I have to go take my copy back to the store because one of the guitar strings broke before I even got to play the damn game. Their site says you don't need all of the strings to play, but I don't care.

[quote name='ZombieToast']Blah, I have to go take my copy back to the store because one of the guitar strings broke before I even got to play the damn game. Their site says you don't need all of the strings to play, but I don't care.[/QUOTE]

Don't need all of the strings to play? That seems like a pretty big red flag there LOL

[quote name='Mr. Jack']I got a review copy of this one, and I can say that both the guitar and the game are pretty crappy.

I just had a kid though, so once he's old enough, I'll let him jam on this little guitar with my starter amp. The small size and light weight should work well for him when he's a bit older, letting the two of us jam together :)

But yeah outside of that, I don't see much reason to grab this. You're not doing yourself any favors by dragging another damn music peripheral into the house. Don't even get me started on the stupid air drums...[/QUOTE]

What exactly are the air drums?

I picture them putting "Air drums included" on the box and when you open the air drums box it is empty.

OMG, just read up on them, and what I said is basically true... Motion sensing sticks and you actually swing wildly in the air.... /facepalm

Does anyone have this? If so, is it work $25 as a game? I dont really care about the guitar working outside of the game. Too bad it doesnt work for RB3 pro, it would be an instant buy.

bread's done
Back