Power Supply and Sparks

heffaji

CAGiversary!
Feedback
1 (100%)
Ok, I'm afraid that I may have destroyed my computer, so let me detail what happened and hopefully someone knows what the cause and result is. I had finished putting together a new computer and had plugged it in for the first time. However, when I flipped the switch on the power supply from off to on, sparks started flying out of the power supply. They stopped after a moment and I quickly pulled the plug. Just to be clear, I didn't turn the computer on. I was turning on the power supply. Anyway, here below are the parts that comprise my computer. Thanks in advance

Power Supply-SeaSonic S12-500 ATX12V 500W

Processor-AMD Athlon 64 X2 4200+

Graphics Card-eVGA 256-P2-N527-AX Geforce 7800GTX 256MB

Motherboard-ASUS A8N-SLI Premium Socket 939 NVIDIA nForce4 SLI ATX AMD Motherboard

Optical Drive-NEC Black IDE/ATAPI DVD Burner Model ND-3550A

Hard Drive-(2)Seagate Barracuda 7200.8 ST3250823AS 250GB 7200 RPM Serial ATA150

Case-Thermaltake XASER, Armor Series VA8000BWS Black Aluminum/Steel ATX Full Tower

Memory-OCZ 2GB (2 x 1GB) 184-Pin DDR SDRAM DDR 400 (PC 3200)

Check the plugs connected to your mobo to make sure that the PSU didn't send a surge to it. Check for discoloration on the plug.

Next, check the cables that run from your case to your motherboard and contain the power switch, reset switch, etc, to make sure that they aren't criss-crossed, or something.

lastly, remove all PSU plugs from the devices, including the mobo and try turning it back on and see if sparks shoot out again. It may just be a defective unit, or have been damaged in transit.

Your PC looks suspiciously like mine... =P

I have no idea what would make your PSU blow up like that... But I'd say its safe to say ship it back DOA and get a different model. Thermaltake is good. I'm liking my Rosewill.

Try testing the PC with another PSU if you can. If not, buy a new PSU and ship the old one back for a refund.

[quote name='capitalist_mao']
lastly, remove all PSU plugs from the devices, including the mobo and try turning it back on and see if sparks shoot out again. It may just be a defective unit, or have been damaged in transit.[/QUOTE]

Most power supplies won't power on unless they are connected to at least a motherboard.

[quote name='RedvsBlue']Most power supplies won't power on unless they are connected to at least a motherboard.[/QUOTE]
According to the OP, the PSU shot sparks when he turned the PSU on, AKA, flipping the switch on the back of the device. NOT from turning on the computer.

[quote name='capitalist_mao']According to the OP, the PSU shot sparks when he turned the PSU on, AKA, flipping the switch on the back of the device. NOT from turning on the computer.[/QUOTE]

Yes, I realize that but PSU are built such that they will not turn on if they are not connected to a motherboard. IF you don't believe me, try it yourself. Take a PSU, don't hook it up to anything except the electrical outlet and flip the switch on it. NOTHING WILL HAPPEN. The PSU fan will not turn on and the PSU itself will not power on. Hence the reason they make this little gadget, http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16817163011 (power supply tester) which the OP should consider investing it.

I never said anything about the whole computer turning on. You really should not have started your time on CAG in the VS. forum because its made you so god damn argumentative about things.

I merely suggested to test this PSU unplugged from everything. If he disconnects it from everything but the socket in the wall, and turns on the PSU, and everything is hunky dory, it could be a motherboard issue. If it's still shooting sparks when he merely plugs it in with nothing connected, it's definitely all the PSU's fault.

Ladies, calm down.

Yeeesh. You're both right!!!

In the end, if a piece of consumer electronics is emitting a shower of sparks, it should be RMA'ed ASAP.

silly people. :)

bread's done
Back