Power Supply / Graphics Card Question

Lieutenant Dan

CAGiversary!
Feedback
10 (100%)
Would this graphics card be too much for my power supply?

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?ATT=14143049&CMP=AFC-SlickDeals&Item=N82E16814143049#spec
http://reviews.cnet.com/Dell_Dimension_4700_for_Home/4507-3118_7-31292625.html

The card recommends 350 watts but my power supply is only good for 305. Do I really need 350, or is there some sort of technicality that discounts that (like it doesn't really use the whole 350 recommended watts or something).

Also, are there any other things I should watch out for as far as compatibility goes?

Any help from a PC gaming vet would be appreciated!

I have a 7600GT in my Dell (E510) with the same 305W power supply and it runs just fine but I was still considering an upgrade.

When one of Dell's repairmen came last week (my motherboard died and took out parts of Windows during the process, not everything, but just enough to have to re-install) I asked him if he would recommend a new power supply for my PC.

He recommended upgrading from the 305W Dell standard (which is allegedly good for 350W according to Dell's forums) to a 430-500W power supply.

Here's my specs:

Intel P4 3.4 HT
7600GT
2 hard-drives - both at 7,800 (or is it 7,200?) RPM
2 gig ram

I'm also going to add a sound card and another USB add-on card real soon so I did decide to look into another power supply.

Luckily NewEgg had a decent deal on an OCZ 530W power supply. It should be getting here tomorrow.

Hm... I dunno for sure but I don't think there'll be a huge impact just because you have 45 less watts. You should be fine.

Your fine. Dell has very good power supplies in their computers and always "underestimate" their PSU watts. Think about it this way, a lot of their customers are newbs who aren't very PC friendly. You know all the chaos that would ensue if someone installed a new graphics card and it melted the power supply because it couldn't handle it? They'd lose millions having to send techies to all those homes to replace them.

They don't underestimate their PSU, it's that gpu companies put up a high number just so if it doesn't work, people can't complain to them about it.

How hard is it to install a graphics card yourself? Is there anywhere I can get it installed for a decent price (sub $50)? I have never even opened a computer before.

When I wanted to upgrade my Radeon 9800 PRO on my Dell Dimension 8300, I had the same question. The X800 GTO recommended a 350 Watts PSU too. I have used the new card for 6 months without a problem. But it really depends on what you have in your PC. The graphics card does not use 350 Watts - it's much less than that - but with everything else in the PC - that's the number the graphic card manufacturer estimates is needed (with probably a very large margin of safety) But it depends on the number of other components drawing power at the same time. I went to a couple of power calculator sites to estimate my power needs. What settled it for me was that the calculator said that the 800 GTO only required 2 watts more that the 9800 PRO that was in my PC already.

http://www.journeysystems.com/power_supply_calculator.php
EDIT - OK so that calculator does list the 7600 - let me look for another one.

Here's another one:
http://extreme.outervision.com/psucalculator.jsp

Well, after some research I'm pretty sure I'll be safe with the 7600gt. Thanks for those links cheapfrag.

Also, I've found that the geek squad will install my graphics card for $39, sounds decent I guess... although I would kind of like the experience gained by doing it myself... I don't know - any advice? I'd need a website to walk me through it microstep by microstep.

I also wanted to upgrade my RAM, and from what I understand that's pretty simple.

You could probably ask a friend to do it. Very basic stuff. Easy as removing the monitor plug, opening the case, removing old video card, putting in new video card, closing case, plugging monitor back in.

You have a Dell, I dunno I think they might use those green plastic lever things inside. Anyways, you might have to push down on one of these when you take out your old video card. *Unless, of course, you're using integrated video, in which case you just plug the new card in there and you're done (after installing the new video drivers and disabling the integrated video via the Computer BIOS Setup)*

I know there's a popular building guide link floating around that links to a tutorial from Corsair Memory... but I can't find it

As for upgrading RAM, it's very similar to the video card, just take out the old, and put in the new. And if you're just adding more RAM, just stick the new ones in the empty slots. *Make sure your RAM is compatible and whatnot*

[quote name='Oktoberfest']You could probably ask a friend to do it. Very basic stuff. Easy as removing the monitor plug, opening the case, removing old video card, putting in new video card, closing case, plugging monitor back in.

You have a Dell, I dunno I think they might use those green plastic lever things inside. Anyways, you might have to push down on one of these when you take out your old video card. *Unless, of course, you're using integrated video, in which case you just plug the new card in there and you're done (after installing the new video drivers and disabling the integrated video via the Computer BIOS Setup)*

I know there's a popular building guide link floating around that links to a tutorial from Corsair Memory... but I can't find it

As for upgrading RAM, it's very similar to the video card, just take out the old, and put in the new. And if you're just adding more RAM, just stick the new ones in the empty slots. *Make sure your RAM is compatible and whatnot*[/quote]
I'm currently using integrated video. It's a shame - I know. Installing this stuff sounds pretty easy, but I've never done any of this bios and drivers stuff. I guess I should just stop being a pussy and do it myself.

It's very simple, if your computer has the slot for it, all you do is stick it in, and power it up. Get the drivers and you should be good to go. No messing with bios or anything. Don't pay BB, get a friend and have him show you how if you want to know, and give him a few bucks for his trouble if you really want to give your money away. It's like a five minute job.

If you've ever opened a door before (yes, even the automatic ones), you can install a graphics card.

Seriously, it's not that hard. Each computer looks very different on the inside and outside but there are basics which all computers follow. Just Google up a guide and see for yourself. It's really not that hard.

Here's a quick run down: uninstall your old graphics drivers, shut down your computer and let it cool for 15 minutes (not necessary but just in case), unplug your monitor, take the case to a carpet free room (like in a room with wood/tile floors) if it's not in one already, open the case but do not touch any of the components inside, touch your power supply on the side or some metal part of your case with your finger to ground yourself, get a screw driver and unscrew the expansion slot cover for your PCIe slot, put in your graphics card and screw it in (with the screw you just removed), close your case, plug in your monitor, fire up your computer, and install new drivers from the included CD.

It sounds like a lot but you can do it in 30 minutes. I installed my first graphcis card in 15 minutes. I remember because the installation booklet said 1 hour and I thought since it was my first time, I better prepare for two hours. And that was before I even knew what a PS was...:p

Oh, and memory is even easier to install. When you have the case open,

[quote name='Lieutenant Dan']I'm currently using integrated video. It's a shame - I know. Installing this stuff sounds pretty easy, but I've never done any of this bios and drivers stuff. I guess I should just stop being a pussy and do it myself.[/QUOTE]

Most fifth graders could probably install a video card if they had instructions. It's not hard at all.

As for the bios and drivers, they should be on a CD with the card. It's as easy as putting it into the CD drive and letting the computer do the rest of the work for you.

The toughest thing about installing more RAM is figuring out what kind you need. The actual installation is extremely easy! If you have Dual Channel, then you should/need to install in identical pairs to keep the Dual Channel working. If not dual channel, then ignore that. Also, if you are keeping your old RAM and running dual channel, I *think* it's best to match the timings of the original RAM (not entirely sure if its necessary for best performance, but that's what I did.) I ran Mem Test to figure out the timings of the existing RAM and bought RAM with the same timings from New Egg.

Other variables for RAM - DDR or DDR2? frequency: 400, 533, 667 MHz?

Once you figure out what you want, installing is a piece of cake.

bread's done
Back