Pre-order Fable II get "XBLA Pub Games" free - Amazon, GS, CC, BBy - Codes out 8/15

Jesus_S_Preston

CAGiversary!
Didn't see this posted here.

[quote name='Xbox360Achievements.org']Pre-Order Fable 2 to Get XBLA Title 'Fable 2 Pub Games' Free
Written Monday, July 07, 2008 by Dan Webb

As if we didn't need anymore motivation to pre-order Fable 2, now Microsoft and Lionhead Studios have teamed up to give us the chance to get our hands on a free XBLA title if we pre-order the title at participating stores.

The free XBLA will be called "Fable 2 Pub Games" and will allow gamers to gamble their in-game gold in a series of old skool pub games with a twist. The XBLA title will feature three main games modes and they will be:

• “Keystone,” which is a combination of Craps and Roulette
  • “Spinnerbox,” which is an updated take on slot machines
  • “Fortune’s Tower,” which is a press your luck style of game.
  • The download will also include a Shell, which is a tutorial of all three games.

No word on the availability of such an offer and who the "participating" stores will be, but the good news is, if you miss out, you can purchase a copy when it hits the XBLA in August for 800MSP. A little rich maybe from first impressions, but hey, it's Fable and you can gamble your in-game gold!

In other Fable 2 news, Microsoft Games Studios and Lionhead Studios have just announced details of a limited collector’s edition of “Fable II” available for pre-order at retailers worldwide, for a suggested price of $79.99 USD.

The limited collector’s edition includes:

• a bonus disc with a new behind-the-scenes making of video,
  • collectible Hobbe figure,
  • a LIVE trial card and additional in-game content (an Xbox LIVE account is required to access the limited collector’s edition bonus in-game content).

The “Fable II” standard addition is also available for pre-order at a suggested retail price of $59.99. “Keystone,” “Spinnerbox” and “Fortune’s Tower” will also be embedded as part of the full retail copy of “Fable II” (limited collector’s and standard editions).

There you have it, all the latest Fable 2 details. What more can you ask for... Except maybe a concrete release date? Let's hope E3 gives us that. [/quote]

Apparently GS is doing this (though it hasn't been "officially" confirmed), but it seems unclear whether it's online or in-store only.

I'll update this post when more information comes out (i.e. which stores are involved).

Last edited by a moderator:
Hopefully this pre-order bonus will be on a physical disc. Gamestop has proven they are too mentally challenged to distribute codes for downloading any type of pre-order goodies (BF:BC sniper codes anyone?). They simply cannot be relied upon to actually give you the code. The whole "We'll e-mail it to you" system they have is horribly broken. My guess is they will have some ridiculous caveat that results in everyone recieving the code for the game AFTER Fable 2 is released. Something tells me this is exactly how it will end up.

[quote name='KingBroly']I really hate stuff like this. Pre-order "bonuses" for in-game content.[/quote]

It's not in-game content, it's an XBLA game.

This got me excited. And, I was only marginally excited for Fable II before this. There's just too much good stuff this late summer/fall!

[quote name='rywateska']I wanna know where the gold's at.

I want the gold.[/QUOTE]

to me it look like a leprechaun to me.

[quote name='KingBroly']I really hate stuff like this. Pre-order "bonuses" for in-game content.[/QUOTE]

It's not like you can just cancel your pre-order anyway. Chances are if you are pre-ordering, you're buying the game anyway. You should be complaining at how they are charging for the games if you decide not to pre-order.

I want to be so excited for this, but after the first Fable and all the hype and let downs I'm going to stay clear until more reviews are out and the game is in stores. I don't care about XBLA games just yet for Fable, as the first one was such a huge let down :(

I saw this ad too but I don't know if it's available at GS, BBV, both, or when it's actually available. I'm hoping the B&M stores get a physical cd or something that I can take home with me. If it's an e-mail issue, then forget it.

EDIT: I just e-mailed GS customer service about the availability of the item in store or online only. Once I receive a response, I will post it :)

[quote name='nnthomas']It's not like you can just cancel your pre-order anyway. Chances are if you are pre-ordering, you're buying the game anyway. You should be complaining at how they are charging for the games if you decide not to pre-order.[/quote]

I've never had an issue with any retailer, eb/gs, gc, cc, tru, etc with cancelling preorders. I usually dont ask for money back just switch it to a current purchase or another game. Never had a problem though

I'm wondering if Amazon is on this gravy boat because I've had mine pre ordered since last November...they listed it at 45.99.....so they're price matched to that...

I just got back from a gamestop to preorder this game. They had no clue what I was talking about and said it might be online only. Nothing online says about it being online only or a code you get. So I emailed them and will let you know what I get from them. Could be that they have no clue as of now. Same thing happend with SCIV and the Yoda face plate for the 360 at gamecrazy. At the time I preordered they didnt have any idea about it and no sku for it. However about a week or 2 later they now have it in the system and know what I was talking about. So in about 2 weeks you walk in and preorder chances are the gamestop will or should know what your talking about.

My GS knew about it but wasn't sure when he was going to get the code. He did assure me that they are going to get them its just a matter of when they will.

With that said I wonder if the XBLA games will have achievements. The Ach-whore in me wants an easy 200 pts.

[quote name='joshnorm']My GS knew about it but wasn't sure when he was going to get the code. He did assure me that they are going to get them its just a matter of when they will.

With that said I wonder if the XBLA games will have achievements. The Ach-whore in me wants an easy 200 pts.[/quote]

I have no doubt that the XBLA released set will have Achievements.

I'm probably going to pre-order the standard version of Fable 2 no matter what. As short as the first one was I still immensely enjoyed the game. I have a feeling with Fable 2 our expectations will be met at the very least.

So will we be able to play these games right off the bat or is it a, wait until the actual game comes out sort of thing?

I also read that these mini-side-xbox live games were going to let you earn money for the actual game. So if they do happen to let these games be playable before Fable 2 releases... we're going to have quite a few very rich Fable players. >.

[quote name='SerenityKry']I'm probably going to pre-order the standard version of Fable 2 no matter what. As short as the first one was I still immensely enjoyed the game. I have a feeling with Fable 2 our expectations will be met at the very least.

So will we be able to play these games right off the bat or is it a, wait until the actual game comes out sort of thing?

I also read that these mini-side-xbox live games were going to let you earn money for the actual game. So if they do happen to let these games be playable before Fable 2 releases... we're going to have quite a few very rich Fable players. >.

Ok so here's what I got from GS.com CS:

"Dear Customer,

Thank you for contacting GameStop.com.

As of right now this is online only, it subject to change however.
If you have any other questions, please feel free to respond to this
email.

Best Regards,
Travis
Customer Service Agent

Original Message Follows:
-------------------------

To whom it may concern,
If I pre-order Fable II for the Xbox 360 at a physical store, will I be
able to receive the pre-order promotional item "Xbox LIVE Arcade Fable
II Pub Games," or is that item only available online only? Thank you for
your time."

Take that for what it's worth but I might just pre-order this online so I can get the promo.

The min games from what it says on the 360 come out some time next month.

EDIT:

Dear Customer,

We have not received much information on this as of yet from the
manufacturer but as for right now you will receive the bonus offer in
store.
email.

Best Regards,
Travis
Customer Service Agent

I just preordered Fable 2 LE instore and saw that online you are
offering the Xbox LIVE Arcade Fable II Pub Games. However it does not
say online only and the store had no clue. So will I get this when I
pick up the game or is it online only?

Just checked my email and this is what they sent me.

[quote name='sendme']The min games from what it says on the 360 come out some time next month.

EDIT:

Dear Customer,

We have not received much information on this as of yet from the
manufacturer but as for right now you will receive the bonus offer in
store.
email.

Best Regards,
Travis
Customer Service Agent

I just preordered Fable 2 LE instore and saw that online you are
offering the Xbox LIVE Arcade Fable II Pub Games. However it does not
say online only and the store had no clue. So will I get this when I
pick up the game or is it online only?

Just checked my email and this is what they sent me.[/quote]

Wow Travis is POS eh? He tells me it's online only but tells you it's B&M as well? So what is it then? lol.

[quote name='chubbyninja1319']This got me excited. And, I was only marginally excited for Fable II before this. There's just too much good stuff this late summer/fall![/QUOTE]

i'm getting the LE one

Yeah, the preorder code wont be given to anybody until the actual XBLA game comes out which is next month. I gave a call to the local gamestop and the manager said he WILL be getting codes...I called gamecrazy and they didnt know what I was talking about.

[quote name='Persona7']Yeah, the preorder code wont be given to anybody until the actual XBLA game comes out which is next month. I gave a call to the local gamestop and the manager said he WILL be getting codes...I called gamecrazy and they didnt know what I was talking about.[/quote]

Sounds like another GS exclusive. If you pre-ordered somewhere else, I would contact the merchant and see what, if anything, they are offering.

Guys, I'm going to let you in on a little secret.

Your average GameStop grunt isn't going to know anything about these preorder specials this soon. Seriously, the press release just went out today. Chances are, stores will get an e-mail in the next few days about it, but regardless, the games don't go up on XBLA until August, so, by using my brain, I can deduce that the codes won't work until August. Which means you've got a month.

Hmmm... I guess I'll use some of the GS credit I've built up for this. I don't know squat about Fable, but... Now who do I provide my precious preorder too ;). I so often refuse their requests for preorders - I'll have to pick a helpful employee to drop it on.

[quote name='flatliner718']I'm wondering if Amazon is on this gravy boat because I've had mine pre ordered since last November...they listed it at 45.99.....so they're price matched to that...[/quote]

I'm in the same boat. If Amazon doesn't give out the XBLA game, then I have to decide. If I buy the XBLA game for $10, then I pretty much lose the deal on Fable 2. You get the XBLA game with Fable 2, but then I can't play it when it comes out.

Im hoping Amazon has the deal too. Ive got hundreds of dollars in my gift certificates section that I keep getting for free that I wouldnt mind using.

so if you preorder, you get the games for free.

and if you buy the game, you get the games for free(a little later)

yeah,.. i'll wait.

Okay, I'm confused. If you pre-order, you get the pub games for free. Or, you can pay 800 points and dl them.

According to this, the games are already on the game disc?

“Keystone,” “Spinnerbox” and “Fortune’s Tower” will also be embedded as part of the full retail copy of “Fable II” (limited collector’s and standard editions).

If that's true, then what's the incentive to pre-order?

[quote name='shieryda']Okay, I'm confused. If you pre-order, you get the pub games for free. Or, you can pay 800 points and dl them.

“Keystone,” “Spinnerbox” and “Fortune’s Tower” will also be embedded as part of the full retail copy of “Fable II” (limited collector’s and standard editions).

If that's true, then what's the incentive to pre-order?[/QUOTE]To play the games early and have a nice stash of gold when FABLE 2 drops.

[quote name='Persona7']To play the games early and have a nice stash of gold when FABLE 2 drops.[/quote]

I see. So people who pre-order are entitlted to get the pub games free and early (via a code or some other method)? I guess that's cool, since the actual game won't be out until like October.

Can we put the $5 down for the pre-order, get the code for the pub games, and then cancel the order for the game?:)

[quote name='shieryda']I see. So people who pre-order are entitlted to get the pub games free and early (via a code or some other method)? I guess that's cool, since the actual game won't be out until like October.

Can we put the $5 down for the pre-order, get the code for the pub games, and then cancel the order for the game?:)[/quote]

Actually, yes you can. Don't be a dick about it though by canceling as soon as you get your hands on the code in the store. I would make sure the code works and then cancel it, or move it to another game. I've done it a few times and have a bit of pre-order swag still hanging around in my room. :)

[quote name='Pck21']Actually, yes you can. Don't be a dick about it though by canceling as soon as you get your hands on the code in the store. I would make sure the code works and then cancel it, or move it to another game. I've done it a few times and have a bit of pre-order swag still hanging around in my room. :)[/quote]

Yes, I would most likely just ask to move the $5 to another game a couple weeks after the first pre-order. Keeps them GS employees happy.:)

[quote name='shieryda']Okay, I'm confused. If you pre-order, you get the pub games for free. Or, you can pay 800 points and dl them.

If that's true, then what's the incentive to pre-order?[/quote]

The “Fable II” standard addition is also available for pre-order at a suggested retail price of $59.99. “Keystone,” “Spinnerbox” and “Fortune’s Tower” will also be embedded as part of the full retail copy of “Fable II” (limited collector’s and standard editions).

Ok I'm just lumping this together to point out something I think some of you are missing (and where I've arrived at, at least, from this):

There is an XBLA game which [also] will have a hook to Fable 2. This XBLA game costs 800 points OR get a code to use it WITH A PRE-ORDER.
This XBLA game can be used w/o Fable 2, you never would have to purchase Fable 2 - it's a standalone XBLA game.

Fable 2 itself will have these games as well, in the game. Now it may let you unlock these games for direct access from the CD, but I'm more thinking this might mean you'll have to have visited the venue(s) where the games area, and travel to the place(s) in game when you want to play them. No code, no XBLA game with your post pre-order purchase.

Big deal? Well that's up to you. Depending on how they 'embed' the game, there might be a distinct advantage to just popping up the game in XBLA, e.g. maybe there's a bit of travel/battle/pain involved in getting access to your favorite game. Where I doubt they'll sell a ton of these XBLA games separately/after release, who knows?

Just embedded doesn't shout code/token to me.
Doesn't even sound like its necessarily [made] easy to get to.
Maybe it becomes a trivial add later on, and generally I agree, there's likely [much] less point to the XBLA game upon release/Fable2 play.

But it doesn't appear you get exactly the same thing from how its worded.
So still mostly an early advantage - but also, more direct accessibility.

[I'm not really in a rush to fly thru Fable 2 either way, the wife and I are gonna enjoy this, not such a big deal to me. But I'll probably pre-order.]

[quote name='CKaz']The “Fable II” standard addition is also available for pre-order at a suggested retail price of $59.99. “Keystone,” “Spinnerbox” and “Fortune’s Tower” will also be embedded as part of the full retail copy of “Fable II” (limited collector’s and standard editions).

Ok I'm just lumping this together to point out something I think some of you are missing (and where I've arrived at, at least, from this):

There is an XBLA game which [also] will have a hook to Fable 2. This XBLA game costs 800 points OR get a code to use it WITH A PRE-ORDER.
This XBLA game can be used w/o Fable 2, you never would have to purchase Fable 2 - it's a standalone XBLA game.

Fable 2 itself will have these games as well, in the game. Now it may let you unlock these games for direct access from the CD, but I'm more thinking this might mean you'll have to have visited the venue(s) where the games area, and travel to the place(s) in game when you want to play them. No code, no XBLA game with your post pre-order purchase.

Big deal? Well that's up to you. Depending on how they 'embed' the game, there might be a distinct advantage to just popping up the game in XBLA, e.g. maybe there's a bit of travel/battle/pain involved in getting access to your favorite game. Where I doubt they'll sell a ton of these XBLA games separately/after release, who knows?

Just embedded doesn't shout code/token to me.
Doesn't even sound like its necessarily [made] easy to get to.
Maybe it becomes a trivial add later on, and generally I agree, there's likely [much] less point to the XBLA game upon release/Fable2 play.

But it doesn't appear you get exactly the same thing from how its worded.
So still mostly an early advantage - but also, more direct accessibility.

[I'm not really in a rush to fly thru Fable 2 either way, the wife and I are gonna enjoy this, not such a big deal to me. But I'll probably pre-order.][/quote]
I'm pretty sure it's going to be... Pre-order and get the games early on XBox Live, buy the game and have the games available for download on the disc or buy them for 800 points without pre-ordering or buying the game period.

I think I might just go for the pre-order and get the code for the games early. :D I need to build up a stash of booty! Er... Gold.

Has anyone received an email or paper with the code from the store? I preordered online last night from Gamestop, and it said that I would be emailed the code. I'm curious how early we will actually have these games.

Nice to see some confirmation to this. Now, we just need GS to confirm it, and it'll cover my pre-order.

And it is confirmed:
Non-LE: http://www.gamestop.com/Catalog/ProductDetails.aspx?Product_ID=70785
LE: http://www.gamestop.com/Catalog/ProductDetails.aspx?Product_ID=70792

Looks like August 11 is when they're saying the cards will be available in-store. My guess is that they'll be emailed out to online orders at the same time or thereabouts. Games are supposed to go online on August 13th, according to the GS.com website.

Can you preorder from Amazon, get the code emailed to you and then cancel the preorder? Or would this fall under too shady business practices.

looks like i will be preordering this one and it comes after

1. I finish my mba and get a real chance to play games again
2. in my birthday month

hopefully the game lives up to ALL the hype

bread's done
Back