Pre Order - Mass Effect, Bioshock (X360) 39.99 GTA IV 42.99 (X360) @ Liongames.com

Status
Not open for further replies.
I think we'll start seeing reviews of this site next week when people start recieving Crackdown (I remember seeing some posts saying they pre-ordered from this guy).

If those posts go well then I think I'll bite on pre-ordering those other 360 games.

[quote name='Derrick Barra']I think we'll start seeing reviews of this site next week when people start recieving Crackdown (I remember seeing some posts saying they pre-ordered from this guy).

If those posts go well then I think I'll bite on pre-ordering those other 360 games.[/quote]

Yea, this will probably be the general rule for all of us who are wary of ordering from this site.

same here. if the reviews are positive, and the Halo 3 legendary edition are still available, along with Mass Effect, i will not only be ordering, but i'll be telling my friends about it also. and I, and i'm sure many of you also, have a lot of friends that play games, so he is right in that, if he is legit, and keeps deals like this up, he will have a lot of customers become very loyal!
Please be for real!

well yesterday I bought a couple used games from his site, I got a prompt responce email, and checking his site the inventory levels went down (where it used to say 2 copies available now said 1), I will post with updates as it gets shipped/when it arrives. I understand that buying a couple used games and preorders are altogether different, but if they come promptly, and in good condition I'll trust him.

I just really can't get over the fact that you have to put a fee down up front. I've NEVER ordered from an online site that required such a thing.

Of course I do realize that it's typical at any physical game store... but this is an online store with no reputation yet with just a 'hope' that it'll all work out. With such good prices... why not just trust we'd all be in without an upfront fee? Those are cheaper prices than anywhere else and I can't imagine too many people canceling orders.

This will either go down as 'Deal of the Year' or 'Scam of the Year'.... wonder if we should get Cheapy D & Wombat on the case for an upcoming show.

I have the site bookmarked... I will wait and see what happens with the Crackdown orders and go from there. As other people have said, if I can buy games from a small business owner with great customer service and great prices, I will hop onboard and tell all of my friends. Tony seems like a nice guy who wants to get his business off the ground.

*Readies credit card for 2 pre-orders pending positive feedback via Crackdown*

I would agree w/ capt. murphys above statement, pending crackdown 2 orders for me to decide. Could someone w/ more paypal knowledge e-mail paypal and see if we will be covered for fraud protection through them for a pre-order and also for a full pre-payment? Lion games seems like a business idea I would have liked to start if I had the time or money. Smart spending the advertising budget on savings to the consumer.

i still am having too hard of a time believing this one. like others are saying, once someone trusted gives feedback, i am sure a lot of CAG'ers and their friends will be doing a lot of ordering from there. i personally dont have any money to risk something right now ($10 is too much of a risk when i can find some games for that price), so i too will wait for some feedback. i hope it is legit and he can get his business going good.

Well I've pre-ordered Bioshock as a gesture of good faith and to help him start up. He's got the paypal express checkout thing up now. The added Paypal protection convinced me.

Need to change the banner art to something a bit more professional though.

The other problem though, is games not shipping on time. What about a money back guarantee if the orders are somehow late by the game's ship date so we can at least get our money back and go down to the store?

[quote name='tanis']I just really can't get over the fact that you have to put a fee down up front. I've NEVER ordered from an online site that required such a thing.

Of course I do realize that it's typical at any physical game store... but this is an online store with no reputation yet with just a 'hope' that it'll all work out. With such good prices... why not just trust we'd all be in without an upfront fee? Those are cheaper prices than anywhere else and I can't imagine too many people canceling orders.

This will either go down as 'Deal of the Year' or 'Scam of the Year'.... wonder if we should get Cheapy D & Wombat on the case for an upcoming show.[/quote]

I've put down money for preorders online before. Realistically with no fee everyone would click on it as a "Why not?" thing. There's no commitment from the customer and the retailer can't tell who will actually complete the sale after he's paid for the stock. The alternative is to take credit card info but promising not to charge. I think people would be more wary of that.

Now with the games we are talking about... I'm not sure how this retailer would be stuck with any stock. If he's willing to sell them at $40 a pop... they'd be gone, even on eBay, within a few days even if the whole lot decided to cancel. I'm also guessing that even with $10 down... that you could still cancel out and get your $10 back... so how is he protected from that?

[quote name='fathamburger']I've put down money for preorders online before. Realistically with no fee everyone would click on it as a "Why not?" thing. There's no commitment from the customer and the retailer can't tell who will actually complete the sale after he's paid for the stock. The alternative is to take credit card info but promising not to charge. I think people would be more wary of that.[/QUOTE]

In my mind, the fact that the three "testimonials" are almost identical in structure, punctuation, and ending with an exclamation point is something to be concerned about. It means that there is no real feedback at all for this site:

"02/05/2007
I was skeptical at first because of the low prices, but customer service was extremely responsive and willing to bend over backwards to see to my satisfaction. I had absolutely zero problems, and will gladly do business with Lion Games again. It's great to see there's still such a thing as an honest good deal!
- Adam (Redding, CT)

02/05/2007
I was skeptical at first about just mailing away my games, but LionGame's fast and friendly customer service put me at ease. After being disappointed and frustrated by my local game stores I will now solely do my gaming business here!
- Chris (Narrangansett, RI)

02/02/2007
Here is one for your feedbacks page. Excellent customer service, easy exchange and very fast shipping. Great communication. This will now be my only source for all of my XBox 360 games. Thank you again!!
- Dave (Flagstaff, AZ)"

[quote name='Arkay Firestar']In my mind, the fact that the three "testimonials" are almost identical in structure, punctuation, and ending with an exclamation point is something to be concerned about. It means that there is no real feedback at all for this site:

"02/05/2007
I was skeptical at first because of the low prices, but customer service was extremely responsive and willing to bend over backwards to see to my satisfaction. I had absolutely zero problems, and will gladly do business with Lion Games again. It's great to see there's still such a thing as an honest good deal!
- Adam (Redding, CT)

02/05/2007
I was skeptical at first about just mailing away my games, but LionGame's fast and friendly customer service put me at ease. After being disappointed and frustrated by my local game stores I will now solely do my gaming business here!
- Chris (Narrangansett, RI)

02/02/2007
Here is one for your feedbacks page. Excellent customer service, easy exchange and very fast shipping. Great communication. This will now be my only source for all of my XBox 360 games. Thank you again!!
- Dave (Flagstaff, AZ)"
[/quote]

Very good point! Who would ever say that some place would be their sole source.

Hello Cag's.

It seems there are some concerns about me shipping product on time. I process orders as fast any anyone. If I get an order on Monday, it goes in the mail by Tuesday. If I get an order on Friday it goes in the mail on Saturday. As far as preorders are concerned they will be mailed no later then street date. I am getting my Crackdown's on tuesday and they will all go out on tuesday. I gave my distributor some hell because I didn't get my Crackdowns a bit earlier. He is adressing the issue to put me on an early ship. I had to sign a paper friday and promise not to break street date. Your product will get shipped to you on time.

When I was driving to my bowling tournament today I was thinking about this thread. I probably spent about 5 hours here yesterday trying to address every concern. The truth of the matter is, I updated my FAQ section on my website. I explained why I would be willing to do this deal. I posted my thoughts on why I wanted to get into this business. I pretty much explained everything from A-Z. If there are people out right now that are still not convinced about this deal being real,and about me being sincere, then there is probably nothing I can do to win that person over.
I kinda laughed to myself today because I thought about the movie Envy. I thought about Jack Black's, and Ben Stiller's character. If Ben Stiller was looking at this deal there wouldn't be a single thing I could say to Ben to convince him to trust me. In contrast I think Jack black would have had enough information to pull the trigger and also tell all his friends about this deal. Does that make Jack a better person or Ben a better person. Nope, not at all, they are both good people. Just they have different trust levels and different risk adversion levels. I think the same thing probably holds true to the Cag's.

Here is a link to the few pricegrabber reviews I have gotton. I have no control over these. I think most people will see the common theme in the reviews.
http://www.pricegrabber.com/user_acct_rating.php/userid=2122510

Also I suggest some of you head over to http://www.gamerswithjobs.com/ Take a few minutes and read the threads called "I want crackdown now" and the Mass Effect and Bioshock thread. Both of these are in the games and Platform section. I started a thread called Gamers with Jobs is a unique forum, in the everything else section and I think it is 5 pages down. I started that thread after my Halo 3 deal came out because I was being frustrated about some of the rude comments on a few forums just because I was new. I thanked them because they gave me the benefit of the doubt from day one. I think if you read these three threads, you should be able to tell without a doubt that those people trust me and don't think I am a scammer. I must say that I am also very impressed with the amount of positive comments on this thread so far. I am very grateful to all of you that treated me with respect. If anyone has questions feel free to email me anytime. I am also very open to suggestions. I enjoy reading Cag's and interacting with the people here. So I am not going anywhere.

Tony

[quote name='withe011']Very good point! Who would ever say that some place would be their sole source.[/quote]

I would say a customer who was pretty impressed with Liongames, and not so impressed with the other places he bought games would say this.

Should I simply sit back and watch this little play unfold? The roles are set, the script is in action, and events are set in motion, as predicted...

Or perhaps I should reveal my hand? But, normally, it is not proper for the audience to intervene in the events...
laughing-man.gif

Until next time... Have fun! ;)
[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u-9dC3PVA10[/media]

[quote name='liongames']I would say a customer who was pretty impressed with Liongames, and not so impressed with the other places he bought games would say this.[/quote]
I would say NOBODY.
Just watch, he's gonna buy from Best Buy, and you'll be so sad you won't even know what hit you. You'd only wish that you never made up these fake personas and took them so seriously.

i went ahead and preordered bioshock and grand theft auto VI and paid the deposit using paypal checkout...if u have had halo 3 with the $10 deposit, i wouldve preordered that too :lol:​

tony from Lion games -
The price grabber reviews are starting to get on the right track, but I wouldn't consider them fully credible as of this moment. You have only 3 reviews, 1 from a new member (Jan 07) to price grabber who has only reviewed the purchase from your site, another from a member since '04 who has reviewed 2 other transactions as well (this guy seems most credible), and another new member (december '06) who also has only reviewed your site.

In summation, it is possible there is only 1 of 3 credible review of your site. In your favor, you don't have any negative or neutral revies, very nice. So I would need to see a few more reviews before purchasing from users who have reviewed other transactions than solely your site. As well, the report of our users about the crackdown deal will be helpful.

Other references?

[quote name='liongames']Zoglog. This is a very fair question. I will try to share my train of thought with you and the board. I read the above article. It was well written and so much of it was true. I agree with #1 and 2. I also agree that price protection is very limited. I disagree with the part that the game prices drop quickly. I think they stay up there for quite a long time. Therefore I feel the used market can be quite large. Dvd empire didn't sell used games and I think this fact hurt them. I agree 100% with #4 and 5. Except I get my games on or before street date. I disagree that games are better suited for brick and mortar. They both have trade offs. When you have an online business you have to pay to ship the games. Online retailers transactions are mostly done with credit cards, so we have to pay processing fees most of the time. A brick and mortar store may have some cash transactions as well as personal checks. In these cases there are no processing fees. An online business has no rent expense, no gas bill, and no electric bill to speak of. We do pay for webhosting, but that is a pretty reasonable cost.

Here are some interesting facts. Blockbuster Video is the largest video chain in the USA. They have over 9000 stores, which are for the most part big, bright, and beautiful. Wall street values Blockbuster and their 9000 stores at 1.3 billion dollars. Now Eb/Gamestop on the other hand only has about 4500 stores, that are for the most part, pretty small and dark. Here is the kicker. Wall street values them at a tad over 4 billion dollars. That is over three times the size of Blockbuster. Eb sales were 1.5 billion on 04, 1.8 in 05. and over 3 billion in 06. So I think the video game market appears to be pretty healthy. The next thing to keep in mind is Blockbuster's stock went public in 1998 at $15 bucks a share. Right now they have a good run. and they are at 6 bucks a share. Who know who hurt them right? Netflix, an online retailer. The reason why. is people like convience. I feel that I can offer my customers that same convience while shopping for games. I can also beat my competitors pricing, and honestly I am very very big on customer service. The other reason I like the game business is because it is a difficult business to enter and do it right. Everyone and his brother has a hand in the video business. Macdonalds sells dvd's What is up with that? The other reason for my confidence is my track record. Blockbuster lost 1 billion in 04, 1.2 billion in 05, and almost 600 million in 06. I made money in my video stores in all those years. I did make less the past 3 years then I used to, but I still turned a profit while the big boys were losing their shirts. In short I never been afraid to stand up to the big guys, as long as I dont have to face them in a spelling contest.:) :lol: :lol:[/QUOTE]

Thanks for responding ;) Personally it seems pretty much even divided out there on the legit/wait and see/scam camp for people's opinions of Lion games but i'm more skewed towards the positive and I don't see why people need to give this guy such a hard time. Really the guy is unproven, but nothing's been shown to say whether he's a bad merchant or a good one, so just going out and calling this guy a scammer is a bit unwarranted.

Posting the pricegrabber reviews indeed is a positive step. The reason why he doesn't have too many reviews is because his inventory on pricegrabber is currently limited to 8 games
http://www.pricegrabber.com/SFstore.php/userid=2122510.
But if you'll look at his listings on the games he does answer questions which is generally a good sign.

Personally the main thing that prevents me from preordering really is knowing whether or not the game is going to be any good. I typically like to get a review for the game. Now for Halo 3 it's just way too far off for me to preorder it heh.

Anyway back on subject.

You're right that the used games market is damn profitable. The only problem is I really haven't seen any success for any retailer selling anything used online. The problem is if people sell you the games they would have to take the effort to ship the game to you and get paid less than what they would if they sold it on craigslist or ebay. But then again I could be wrong, the closed thing I can think of is gamefly, but they basically sell off thier used rentals.

As for the getting games on the street date, I sure hope you can because that's a big reason why people don't buy games online quite as much. Also the price online for most retailers only varies by a few dollars which prevents people from really even bothering. It seems many times that if people want games, they will pick it up so they can get it ASAP. But I may just be thinking of hardcore gamers, but I think that's what your site is going to have to appeal to initially.

I think your offers for the preorders are a great idea. And maybe you can find a great balance in pricing for a full downpayment preorder on games in the future. For a game I was certain I was going to buy, i'd definetly preorder it if I could save 15 bucks off the bat and not pay tax (woohoo internets). The Kicker is that i'd have to get it asap =/.

And you're right that online companies have less overhead costs than B&M, but if you plan to expand i'd hope you'd have an office at least and a warehouse in the future o_O.... Either way I wish you luck :)

Anyway, I might jump in on the mass effect soon ;), how long are you running this promo?

Well heres the first update on my order of a couple used games. I got an email saying that unfortunately he was out of a used copy of one of them, so he is sending me a new one. And he also upgraded my shipping from first class to priority mail. He even provided a tracking number. So far I am plesently suprised. The games should be here tuesday/wednesday (not sure how president's day affect shipping). I will post again once I have my games in hand.
As far as shipping, it appears he'll be using usps first class, which is fine with me, saving 10$ on a brand new game is worth waiting a day or two. I used to preorder everything from fry's to save a couple bucks and with them you got the game a day or two after street. I still haven't preordered, but once I get my games, I'll be in for Halo 3, mass effect, and bioshock.

can i ask if anyone ever ordered games and traded from Swapyourgames.com?

cause i did and i was skeptical at first specially after they never replied to my emails, but i went and ordered a game as well as traded some in. now me, im pretty skeptical, ive been screwed over plenty of times out of Big amounts of $ well in to teh thousands within the past year, but i took a chance and everything played out well.

now i plan on using that site again. ILL PROB ORDER OF LIONGAMES.com, ill give it a chance. So Give this site a chance before posting judgement.

if u dont feel comf. ordering from here wait and see how others peoples purchases turn out. you might just be surpirsed. youll prob learn that you guys ended up fools for being skeptical

Zolog, I didn't say you would get the games on street date. I want to be clear that the games will ship no later then street date. Crackdown for instance will ship on tuesday. I would think customers will get their games from wednesday to next monday for people who live far from me. I use first class mail and they are usually quick but I can guarantee the speed of the post office.

Yes shipping the games to me isn't as easy as walking into a store and trading games. It is just as easy then doing ebay or craiglist. That is why I want people use to pre-ordering games. You can make the trades on the invoice you buy. My use game prices are very good also so if you can buy and sell a game with me and have it cost you alot less then other places then using the mail isn't a bad option. Also running into brick and Mortar stores always isn't that easy. Parking and traffic and crowds could be irritating at times. I think my website offers convience from home and a trip to the post office.

[quote name='NWgamer666']tony from Lion games -
The price grabber reviews are starting to get on the right track, but I wouldn't consider them fully credible as of this moment. You have only 3 reviews, 1 from a new member (Jan 07) to price grabber who has only reviewed the purchase from your site, another from a member since '04 who has reviewed 2 other transactions as well (this guy seems most credible), and another new member (december '06) who also has only reviewed your site.

In summation, it is possible there is only 1 of 3 credible review of your site. In your favor, you don't have any negative or neutral revies, very nice. So I would need to see a few more reviews before purchasing from users who have reviewed other transactions than solely your site. As well, the report of our users about the crackdown deal will be helpful.

Other references?[/quote]

NWGAmer666, Read the gamer with jobs threads I pointed out. There is some good info in there. I think you can tell by the way people talk about me they trust me. I even got mentioned on one of their podcast.

I actually saw your crackdown deal a few weeks back through a link from amazon. Haha, sorry, I had to click it and it probably cost you a few cents or dollars. Anyways, you do need a slight redesign. Maybe even take the logo out as it doesn't seem like a really gamer oriented logo.

I did have an idea though. If you're going into the used games market, you should include a return postaged envelope with your game sales (ala gamefly) or at least provide an option at checkout to include one. That way, people will be more inclined to just pop their old game in and send it in the mail. I think most people are just lazy to get an envelope and print/pay for postage.

I hope your site does well and that you stick around. I'm not in any of the deals yet, but I might jump in soon. As for your business, you HAVE to get it onto google to seem more credible (your video store isn't listed either). Advertising usually isn't enough, but the word of mouth you spread with the low preorder prices will help you out.

Some people on this forum need to calm down. If you think it's a scam state your reasons why, but stop with the hostile vibe. Like all unverified websites, someone will try it and if it works out, the whole flood will join. It's the same as always. Don't try to discourage EVERYONE from even giving it a try with baseless threats or it could be your and liongames loss.

LionGames -

You don't have to keep trying to quell everyone's worries about whether or not you are legit. Let your business practices do the talking for you. Keep delivering on your used game sales, be sure you do a good job with the Crackdown bunch, and positive publicity will start flowing in. I think many of us here are waiting on the results of the Crackdown release; I certainly am. If that goes well, then I think you will begin to see preorders flood in.

At some point, the attempts to convince us begin to seem false and counter-productive. Just do good business, and things will pick up. You know we'll all be watching. ;)

Also, I must agree with several of the posters about a site redesign, primarily the lion picture on the front page. There are some CAGs here who are awesome at graphical/web design that could help you out in exchange for a game or two, I would imagine. The image you present will have a huge effect on your profits, so make it look professional.

Good luck bro, I hope to send you some business very soon.

(Oh, and correct grammar/punctuation/spelling will go a long way for you. I know it's a weak point for you personally, but making use of a good spell-checker should do the trick. Remember, as far as this site goes, you are now the figurehead for Lion Games, so we will associate your words/posts with your business.)

[quote name='Arkay Firestar']Does he say anywhere whether the games are US versions?[/quote]
you have to be kidding right ? Are you just trying to sound skeptical? Why would it be any other version? He is in the US, it takes more effort just to get import versions to screw people over. Come on you are being just plain stupid.

I know this is super skeptical/conspiracy theory-ish but I find it too coincidental that someone named tightclaws [Lion's have claws right ?] is the main defender of the site called liongames . Both names use all lower-case letters too .

I don't want to be a dick for noticing this , but it kind of jumped out at me .

I mean if they were the same person the mods could do an IP check , and end my suspicions .

I don't want to hurt your business in any way , but I also don't want any CAGs being duped either .

I'm sure you understand .

[quote name='Richlough']I know this is super skeptical/conspiracy theory-ish but I find it too coincidental that someone named tightclaws [Lion's have claws right ?] is the main defender of the site called liongames . Both names use all lower-case letters too .

I mean if they were the same person the mods could do an IP check , and end my suspicions .

I don't want to hurt your business in any way , but I also don't want any CAGs being duped either .

I'm sure you understand .[/quote]

Hi Rich. Your observation isn't a bad one at all, but if you dug just a bit deeper you would see that Tightclaws join date was June 2006. My site didn't open till December. I would also go back and read a few of tightclaw's post. Hopefully it will be pretty obvious to you that we are not the same person. I understand it is important to watch each others back around here. I have no problem with your post.

I hate to contribute to the conspiracy theory but......

Before I do business with a company I like to do a little research on them.

As best I can tell you operate a company known as AGE of Video (II) which is located at the address

120 Willow Street, in downtown Winsted, Connecticut, 06098

No BBB info at all for this company or phone number which is odd. Unless of course you just put a store there. You mention this is the HQ, which would give the impression there are more stores.

Now there are a couple Age of Videos in Connecticut.

This one in paticular caught my eye.

Age of Video 2
45 South Main Street
Farmington, CT 06032
Telephone: (860) 675-4601

The BBB reports on members and non-members. If a company is a member of the BBB, it is stated in this report

BBB Definition:

report - A summary of activity reflected in a company's BBB file. Includes basic business background, BBB membership information, and Bureau complaint activity over the previous three years. Also reports may include any known government actions, advertising issues or other information that results from activity conducted by the BBB.

Principal: Mr. Karen Would Not Say
Customer Contact: Mr. Karen Would Not Say - (860) 675-4601
File Open Date: January 2005
BBB Membership: This company is not a member.

Customer Experience

Based on BBB files, this company has an unsatisfactory record

BBB Definition:

unsatisfactory record - A company has an "unsatisfactory business performance record" with the Bureau is based on the experiences reflected in BBB files. This file condition results when the company has failed to resolve or respond to complaints, repeatedly failed to respond or resolve issues in a timely manner, failed to resolve the underlying issues for a pattern

BBB Definition:

pattern - More than 2 complaints involving the same allegations usually within 12 months that are significant in relation to the company's size and volume of business.

of complaints, failed to honor their commitment to mediate or arbitrate disputes or honor mediated agreements or arbitrated decisions, failed to substantiate, modify or discontinue false advertising claims that are challenged by the BBB, or failed to discontinue unauthorized use of the BBB name and logo, a Federally protected trademark.

with the Bureau due to failure to respond to a complaint.

When considering complaint information, please take into account the company's size and volume of transactions, and understand that the nature of complaints and a firm's responses to them are often more important than the number of complaints.

The Bureau processed a total of 1 complaint about this company in the last 36 months, our standard reporting period. Of the total of 1 complaint closed in 36 months, 0 were closed in the last year.
Billing or Collection Issues

BBB Definition:

Billing or Collection Issues - Claim alleging billing errors, unauthorized charges, or questionable collection practices.

No Response

BBB Definition:

No Response - The company failed to respond to the complaint.

1 - Company failed to respond to the BBB to resolve or address the complaint issues.

Not being a member of the BBB is a knock for me to begin with from someone who states they have been in the rental business for over 20 years.

Hi Loaded.

I will think about the the envelope idea. The problem is the envelope I am using right now cost $.26 each each. So if I sent out 1000 envelopes that never came back I would be throwing money away.

I agree with you about being on google. I have done a fair share of advertising with them over the past month. One of the things on my to do list is to work on my meta tags.

I am listening to the comments about the site design and my lion logo. I won't be changing it any day soon. The truth of the matter is I really like my Logo. My wife drew it on paper, and her sister in law defined it a bit more, and then we sent it off to the graphic guy for the website. He came back with a few suggestions including a more majestic lion. The thing is when I look at my website I like the way it looks. The lion looks friendly to me. His eyes are bloodshot from playing too many video games. I have looked at my site next to a few other video games sites, and I think mine catches the eye. The website has a few limitations that I have to work around, but it also does some pretty neat things. My shopping cart can go into negative values. My trades values are easy to find and are all there. I just don't list 4 to 6 games. I think the look of the website portrays the hometown business look instead of a big professional website. That is who we are though. Having said that I am listening and will think hard about all the suggestions here.

liongames: i liked the site, the prices, and your discussion input. i have put in two orders - bioshock, gta4, and mass effect in full as well as crackdown and marvel in another. silly me should have combined when i was thinking about it to save on shipping. nevertheless, good luck! now what about lost planet... hmmmm.

i also like the website just fine the way it is really :)

update: liongames has credited my account the difference i would have saved on shipping should i have been thinking straight, without me directly asking (though i cant say it wasnt hinted at =). great customer service; i'm hooked.

[quote name='liongames']Hi Rich. Your observation isn't a bad one at all, but if you dug just a bit deeper you would see that Tightclaws join date was June 2006. My site didn't open till December. I would also go back and read a few of tightclaw's post. Hopefully it will be pretty obvious to you that we are not the same person. I understand it is important to watch each others back around here. I have no problem with your post.[/QUOTE]

I know the join date is different , but you said you have been in business for 20 years .
[quote name='liongames']The fact that I opened my website in December means a heck of a lot less then the fact That my video stores have been opened for 20 years. I have plenty of retail experience and I think that should count for something.[/QUOTE]

OK , how about sponsoring an episode of the CAGcast .
You can contact Wombat if you are interested . I'm sure he'll be more than happy to accept your offer and this is alot cheaper than the $5000 you had mentioned earlier .
This should put any doubt to rest .

[quote name='Richlough']I know this is super skeptical/conspiracy theory-ish but I find it too coincidental that someone named tightclaws [Lion's have claws right ?] is the main defender of the site called liongames . Both names use all lower-case letters too .

I'm sure you understand .[/quote]

For all the people afraid to risk $50 or so, easy enough just don't. Some people get off on this hype really though. I don't have anything to do with Lion games. I would say to some of these people grow up. The tightclaws name comes from a reference to a nickname Bear, which comes from Bear fan I live in Chicago. I used Paypal so I'm not worried about ID THEFT. I figure its worth risking $50 bucks to see if I can find a good gamestore as most the places I used to buy discount games at have gotten steadily worse. Like Fry's used to offer much better deals but now they hardly ever do, and if they do shipping kills it. I just want a good supplier of games at decent prices. Either make the jump with me or stop crying foul until you have a reason. Stop acting like scared 14 year olds.

[quote name='bdoughty']I hate to contribute to the conspiracy theory but......

Before I do business with a company I like to do a little research on them.

As best I can tell you operate a company known as AGE of Video (II) which is located at the address

120 Willow Street, in downtown Winsted, Connecticut, 06098

No BBB info at all for this company or phone number which is odd. Unless of course you just put a store there. You mention this is the HQ, which would give the impression there are more stores.

Now there are a couple Age of Videos in Connecticut.

This one in paticular caught my eye.

Age of Video 2
45 South Main Street
Farmington, CT 06032
Telephone: (860) 675-4601

The BBB reports on members and non-members. If a company is a member of the BBB, it is stated in this report

BBB Definition:

report - A summary of activity reflected in a company's BBB file. Includes basic business background, BBB membership information, and Bureau complaint activity over the previous three years. Also reports may include any known government actions, advertising issues or other information that results from activity conducted by the BBB.

Principal: Mr. Karen Would Not Say
Customer Contact: Mr. Karen Would Not Say - (860) 675-4601
File Open Date: January 2005
BBB Membership: This company is not a member.

Customer Experience

Based on BBB files, this company has an unsatisfactory record

BBB Definition:

unsatisfactory record - A company has an "unsatisfactory business performance record" with the Bureau is based on the experiences reflected in BBB files. This file condition results when the company has failed to resolve or respond to complaints, repeatedly failed to respond or resolve issues in a timely manner, failed to resolve the underlying issues for a pattern

BBB Definition:

pattern - More than 2 complaints involving the same allegations usually within 12 months that are significant in relation to the company's size and volume of business.

of complaints, failed to honor their commitment to mediate or arbitrate disputes or honor mediated agreements or arbitrated decisions, failed to substantiate, modify or discontinue false advertising claims that are challenged by the BBB, or failed to discontinue unauthorized use of the BBB name and logo, a Federally protected trademark.

with the Bureau due to failure to respond to a complaint.

When considering complaint information, please take into account the company's size and volume of transactions, and understand that the nature of complaints and a firm's responses to them are often more important than the number of complaints.

The Bureau processed a total of 1 complaint about this company in the last 36 months, our standard reporting period. Of the total of 1 complaint closed in 36 months, 0 were closed in the last year.
Billing or Collection Issues

BBB Definition:

Billing or Collection Issues - Claim alleging billing errors, unauthorized charges, or questionable collection practices.

No Response

BBB Definition:

No Response - The company failed to respond to the complaint.

1 - Company failed to respond to the BBB to resolve or address the complaint issues.

Not being a member of the BBB is a knock for me to begin with from someone who states they have been in the rental business for over 20 years.[/quote]

I am not a member of the BBB. I don't think I should have to pay dues to some organization so that then they can tell people I am good. That store is also mine and that letter to the bbb is real and I didn't respond. By any chance is there a copy of the complaint available for the world to see. I sure hope so. I don't remember the exact circumstances but I remember thinking how could the bbb be so stupid even to accept this letter. If I remember correctly a customer rented a movie and returned the movie 30 days late. She claimed my employee didn't tell her when it was due. This is very possible. It happens. This was way before the days of movie passes and movies were due back in 2 days or 5 days. So the fact the bbb would waste a persons time making me respond to a customer who was complaining that we wanted a late charge for a tape 30 days late, is a great reason not to join. If the customer called the store after a day or two of course I wouldn't have tried to collect a late fee. The fact of the matter the lady didn't pay the fee. I am pretty sure this was the issue and I am 100% positve I didn't respond on purpose. I would assume the customer would have enough common sense to know just because I wasn't told the due date I dont get to keep the tape for as long as I want. The other thing to realize is how many transactions have come through my stores in 20 years. I would imagine a few million or more. Yes I did get one written complaint. I am not going to lie to you. I have other verbal complaints some about employees, and I am sure people complained about some other issues. I try to handle them as best I could. The one listed above was just plain stupidity and to be honest I still wouldn't respond to that one today.

[quote name='tightclaws'] Either make the jump with me or stop crying foul until you have a reason. Stop acting like scared 14 year olds.[/QUOTE]

To purchase product from a little known source would be more of an action taken by a 14 year old. With age one learns from past mistakes and takes preventive steps before handing over their money to complete strangers. I was taught this many moons ago, it had something to do with fools and the parting of something they hold dear. ;)

Still waiting on a reply to BBB question above.

[quote name='liongames']I am not a member of the BBB. I don't think I should have to pay dues to some organization so that then they can tell people I am good. That store is also mine and that letter to the bbb is real and I didn't respond. By any chance is there a copy of the complaint available for the world to see. I sure hope so. I don't remember the exact circumstances but I remember thinking how could the bbb be so stupid even to accept this letter. If I remember correctly a customer rented a movie and returned the movie 30 days late. She claimed my employee didn't tell her when it was due. This is very possible. It happens. This was way before the days of movie passes and movies were due back in 2 days or 5 days. So the fact the bbb would waste a persons time making me respond to a customer who was complaining that we wanted a late charge for a tape 30 days late, is a great reason not to join. If the customer called the store after a day or two of course I wouldn't have tried to collect a late fee. The fact of the matter the lady didn't pay the fee. I am pretty sure this was the issue and I am 100% positve I didn't respond on purpose. I would assume the customer would have enough common sense to know just because I wasn't told the due date I dont get to keep the tape for as long as I want. The other thing to realize is how many transactions have come through my stores in 20 years. I would imagine a few million or more. Yes I did get one written complaint. I am not going to lie to you. I have other verbal complaints some about employees, and I am sure people complained about some other issues. I try to handle them as best I could. The one listed above was just plain stupidity and to be honest I still wouldn't respond to that one today.[/QUOTE]

I see you throwing around the term common sense. Don't you think as a business owner using some of they very thing you accuse your customer of lacking would hold true in this case?

The details are not available to the public. I would imagine a call to your local Connecticut branch would provide you the details.

As for the BBB in general it does have some merit, plus creditors do tend to look at these things before loaning companies money.

Just the fact that you consider something most business owners would consider an ethical business practice (replying to the BBB regarding a complaint) as STUPID lets me know all I need as a fellow business owner and consumer.

I can vouch for Lion Games being legit as myself and many others at GamersWithJobs.com have used him for Lost Planet. Tony's a stand up guy and is almost always available for talking.

[quote name='bdoughty']I see you throwing around the term common sense. Don't you think as a business owner using some of they very thing you accuse your customer of lacking would hold true in this case?

The details are not available to the public. I would imagine a call to your local Connecticut branch would provide you the details.

As for the BBB in general it does have some merit, plus creditors do tend to look at these things before loaning companies money.

Just the fact that you consider something most business owners would consider an ethical business practice (replying to the BBB regarding a complaint) as STUPID lets me know all I need as a fellow business owner and consumer.[/quote]

Your points are well taken. I just drew the line in the sand on this one. I really couldn't believe the bbb even accepted the complaint. I can't say I was a member before the complaint, but I did lose some respect for the bbb after the complaint. I just couldn't believe ths customer felt it was okay to keep the movie for as long as she wanted and then on top of that file a complaint about me. I have no problem if you wish to judge me because of my actions in dealing with this complaint.

[quote name='bdoughty']I see you throwing around the term common sense. Don't you think as a business owner using some of they very thing you accuse your customer of lacking would hold true in this case?

Just the fact that you consider something most business owners would consider an ethical business practice (replying to the BBB regarding a complaint) as STUPID lets me know all I need as a fellow business owner and consumer.[/QUOTE]

If something is sound in theory but faulty in execution, would you support it too? Your comment sounds like the reasoning many neo-conservatives have used to delude many conservatives into supporting them. As someone in the process of starting a business, I believe consumers should flex their money powers to purchase where they want - if you're not fine with supporting a belief, then don't fund it, short and simple. Businesses are there for the consumers, not the other way around. Similarly, businesses have every right to refuse catering to a customer - it's the business's choice, and if the consumer demands something unreasonable, they have every right in refusing to do business with that person. In fact, I respect any business willing to do so far more than those who will cater to idiots - those who cater to them encourages them to act ridiculous more often for more gains at a business's expense.

Status
Not open for further replies.
bread's done
Back