Pre order Monster Hunter Best Buy, get a $10 giftcard?

Debating whether to go with this deal or stick with my amazon one where I got it for $29.99 and a free pin.
Depends if you got GCU and Best Buy gift cards, it's like paying $22 + tax after the $10 gift card, if you paid with a gift card. It's still a good deal with just GCU, at about $32 + tax.

Last edited by a moderator:
$22 for mh4? Highly tempting
No, it is $32 for mh4 + a $10 gift card. You shouldn't factor in the future $10 price reduction on a purchase into the current purchase, or else you are basically assigning the gift card twice its stated value.

1. "I basically got this for $22 because it was $32 and included a $10 gift card"

2. "I had $10 gift card to use, so I basically got this $15 item for $5"

Both can not be true. You can only believe #1 if you believe #2 is not true (which #2 is true). Gift card promotions are popular because most people illogically believe both are true, at the time of each purchase. It makes people feel like they are getting a "great deal", two separate times, despite only receiving the promotion a single time.

No, it is $32 for mh4 + a $10 gift card. You shouldn't factor in the future $10 price reduction on a purchase into the current purchase, or else you are basically assigning the gift card twice its stated value.

1. "I basically got this for $22 because it was $32 and included a $10 gift card"

Both can not be true. You can only believe #1 if you believe #2 is not true (which #2 is true). Gift card promotions are popular because most people illogically believe both are true, at the time of each purchase. It makes people feel like they are getting a "great deal", two separate times, despite only receiving the promotion a single time.
Right but if you change it:

2. "I paid for this $10 gift card to use, so I basically got this $15 item for $5 more"

When you pre-order a game a game in store for $5 you still paid the $5

Depends if you got GCU and Best Buy gift cards, it's like paying $22 + tax after the $10 gift card, if you paid with a gift card. It's still a good deal with just GCU, at about $32 + tax.
I have gcu,I figured I would keep both orders and sell the other to a friend and keep the bonuses.

Best way to avoid doing that is consider GIft cards as limited cash. Give it cash value but limited on where it can be spent. I do the same with RZ certs. Except they have the bonus perks of not having to pay tax on them.

I am also wondering if it is possible to change the pre-order from home shipping to in store pickup without cancelling the order.  Not really in a rush to get it, but would prefer not having to wait around for the delivery guy.

I called best buy customer service. Got my mh orders switched to instore pickup. Didn't wanna go through the hassle of cancelling when my gift cards already shipped.

Picked one up, the decent price with the Gamers club discount becomes a sweet deal given the $10 gift card for a later purchase. To pay for it I also happened to have $5 rewards lying around and an unused gc so this was exactly the kind of thing I was looking to use these on.

I keep getting an error during checkout when reviewing my shipping options. Anyone else having the same problems?

Forget it, just got fixed. Anyways it says that they are gonna send the Gift Card on the 29th of this month. Isn't that weird? Like I can get my $10 card, then cancel my pre order, and the $10 will still be mine right? Or does BB charge before shipping?

I keep getting an error during checkout when reviewing my shipping options. Anyone else having the same problems?

Forget it, just got fixed. Anyways it says that they are gonna send the Gift Card on the 29th of this month. Isn't that weird? Like I can get my $10 card, then cancel my pre order, and the $10 will still be mine right? Or does BB charge before shipping?
if you cancel, ten dollars will be deducted from your refund, I believe

Wow...totals to just $22 and probably won't hit that price until the game's been out for at least a year.

Also, I noticed that the game will arrive Feb 23 yet the Gift Card will get here Jan 28th...why? Does this mean I can hypothetically use the card and then cancel my pre-order? Seems odd.

I never ended ul delving into MH3U like wanted to but I might as well continue on with this

...but you're the one assuming that he is doing both. Personally, I do #1 and not #2. Using a GC is basically cash, so #2 makes no sense; by that same notion I might as well say "I used a $20 bill and a $10 bill to buy MH4 so basically I got it for free!" No one is doing that.

BB is essentially handing us a $10 bill during this trade, therefore you deduct it on this trade.

Successfully ordered for in-store pickup earlier. This is my first time pre-ordering online though...How long does BB usually hold the purchase amount for authorization?

I had ordered with shipping yesterday, but when I saw that in-store pick up was an option I just called their customer service line.  The dude I spoke with was able to switch it over to store pick up in 5 minutes. 

No one answered so guess i'll ask again: Do monster hunter gaims retain their value, or do they go down in price fairly fast? Im not a big fan and had planned to get this when it was around $20 or so. But with this deal its almost that price already. I was just wondering if i will be able to get it for about $20 in about a year or so, or if i should jump on this now

No one answered so guess i'll ask again: Do monster hunter gaims retain their value, or do they go down in price fairly fast? Im not a big fan and had planned to get this when it was around $20 or so. But with this deal its almost that price already. I was just wondering if i will be able to get it for about $20 in about a year or so, or if i should jump on this now
You'll probably be able to find it for $20 somewhere.

MonHun 3 had some good sales where you could get it around $20 but is still $25-30 at the few places that have it new still. The Wii U version was the one that dropped and was regularly below $20 but it naturally didn't fare as well in sales. I think if you're able to get it $10 off on day one (or more with GCU) that it's a worthwhile value and you won't regret the price for a while.

Suppose I'll have to call and see if I can get this (and GCU) applied to my $30 preorder from September.

Anyone actually had success with this?

Wow...totals to just $22 and probably won't hit that price until the game's been out for at least a year.

Also, I noticed that the game will arrive Feb 23 yet the Gift Card will get here Jan 28th...why? Does this mean I can hypothetically use the card and then cancel my pre-order? Seems odd.

I never ended ul delving into MH3U like wanted to but I might as well continue on with this
Whenever you cancel an order that includes a "free" gift card, you get charged for the gift card so it zero's out. So yeah you could cancel the GC but then the order would go from $32 (MH) to $0 (cancel) to $10 (gift card), and you'd have a $10 gc so the net effect is zero but you just paid $10 for a $10 gc.

I did it recently when I decided to give my brother my copy of Shadow Warriors and cancel the one I made for him, and thats what happened to me.

the whole gift card thing is kinda funny as hell tbh, for a $10 gc best buy is spending at least $3-4 to get it out to people, I don't really understand why they don't use reward zone points or just e-gift cards.

Thanks Op. Cancelled my pre-order from Amazon. Strangely, I was able to do in store pickup. The rest of my pre-orders for that day (zelda 3ds and mm limited edition) are for shipping only.

the whole gift card thing is kinda funny as hell tbh, for a $10 gc best buy is spending at least $3-4 to get it out to people, I don't really understand why they don't use reward zone points or just e-gift cards.
They must have some sort of deal of cards because things like that, eShop cards, XBL cards, etc. all seem to go UPS ground every time and tell you they'll arrive in two business days. Being so small and light and with the amount they probably ship out they likely have it worked out with UPS where each is only a few cents to ship.

Retailers do get a discount on shipping costs, but there is no way any shipper will give a discounted price of a few cents to send a GC. I work at a major commerce site and it's definitely a discounted cost but nowhere below a $1 to ship a small package/envelope.

I don't think so man. Monster Hunter 3 Ultimate took about six months to hit $30-$40 on 3DS/Wii U respecitvely. Its hit $20 a few times on on both this year but that's 1.5 years after release, almost two. So I'd get it sooner.

Yeah, that's silly. It would make sense to send the card with the game as expenses wouldn't increase. No idea. Kinda curious to see an explanation.

Thanks for this, OP. Considering you can use a GC (and GCU discont), this is a steal. Between the BB credit I had and a few dollars left on a Visa GC, I got a new game and a $10 GC for free.

When does the gift card usually ship out? Mine has not shipped out yet and when I did the online chat the lady said that it will ship when the game ships..but I have read posts from people whose gift card already shipped so thought that was strange

When does the gift card usually ship out? Mine has not shipped out yet and when I did the online chat the lady said that it will ship when the game ships..but I have read posts from people whose gift card already shipped so thought that was strange
Usually ships right away. It's also the weekend.

[quote name="lakerfanalways" post="12421671" timestamp="1421612376"]LOL it just shipped..I guess when you ask you shall receive :)[/quote]
Yep. Mine shipped today too.

I may end up just caving and going for this. I've never played a game in the series before, and I wasn't lucky enough to get an e-mail with the codes for the demo. I even threw my name on a list on reddit, but no luck. I'll wait 'til later tonight then make my decision.

I may end up just caving and going for this. I've never played a game in the series before, and I wasn't lucky enough to get an e-mail with the codes for the demo. I even threw my name on a list on reddit, but no luck. I'll wait 'til later tonight then make my decision.
Buy a used copyat gamestop and try it out. It's essentially the same thing with a few features added such as jumping and new classes but if you don't like monster hunter 3 then you won't like 4. ThThen return the used copy regardless

They just shipped me the GC. Do they normally do this for preorders? I'd think you'd get the GC after getting the item.

Edit: Nvm, already answered!

I normally wouldn't have bit, but I enjoyed what I played of MonHun Tri back on the Wii. 32 after GCU plus GC isn't too bad at all at release - I had some RZ certs I needed to use sooner rather than later plus some ShopKick GCs.

Buy a used copyat gamestop and try it out. It's essentially the same thing with a few features added such as jumping and new classes but if you don't like monster hunter 3 then you won't like 4. ThThen return the used copy regardless
I never thought of that. That's an awesome idea. I was able to get a demo code thanks to a fellow CAG though, and from what I've played so far, I'm sold. Pulled the trigger on this one :D

bread's done
Back