Pre-order Prototype 2 at Wal-mart, get Prototype 1 download code free(In-store only?)

timberwolfbobby

CAGiversary!
Saw this advertised in the video game section of my local Wal-mart, but didn't see any reference to it on their website. Haven't found a lot of great deals on this game recently (other than the brief newegg one), so I thought it would be worth pointing out.

E: Just want to point out that the advertisement in store actually said purchase, not preorder. So it should be available in any copy if you go and purchase Tuesday, though it did say supplies limited.

E2: Make sure you turn CAPS lock ON when entering the code that comes in the box on the prototype redemption website. Even though the letters come up as capital regardless, if you enter them in as lowercase it will be an invalid code. Hopefully that saves people some trouble!

Last edited by a moderator:
Yes there is a special if you purchase the game in the store you will receive a DLC code for the original prototype, you will also receive RADNET edition.

[quote name='Gosha']Do you get the first game as soon as you preorder the second?[/QUOTE]

pretty sure it would be inside the game package. I've never seen a walmart bonus being any other way.

[quote name='garrett007']What systems would this preorder be available for? Sorry for noob question not that familiar with prototype[/QUOTE]

I assume PC, but would be sweet if this was Xbox...
Would love to replay the first game to remember why I hate the protagonist so much. It will make killing him in the 2nd one that much sweeter.

[quote name='Demonkadar']From the signs that I put up in store its a PS3/XB360 exclusive.[/QUOTE]

Holy shit. That's awesome. Is this a pre-order or just "limited run" edition that takes them years to run out of lol...

[quote name='Demonkadar']From the signs that I put up in store its a PS3/XB360 exclusive.[/QUOTE]

Really?! Still not sure if I want to preorder now as I have a huge backlog which I'm struggling to get through

It reads Free Copy ($20 Value) of Prototype with purchase of Prototype 2! While supplies last. Redeem and download the free copy via code on Playstation Network and Xbox LIVE Marketplace
Limited RADNET Edition Content Over 55 pieces of extra content.
117yakn.jpg

[quote name='Demonkadar']Yes as shown in the picture I just uploaded it is walmart exclusive. (uploaded picture after you posted)[/QUOTE]

reminds me of when they had that Batman AA and Batman AC package, though this time it's a download code instead of a physical copy. Perhaps that's better because people had difficulty PM'ing the bundle that had a seperate SKU, etc

[quote name='ChaosLaw']reminds me of when they had that Batman AA and Batman AC package, though this time it's a download code instead of a physical copy. Perhaps that's better because people had difficulty PM'ing the bundle that had a seperate SKU, etc[/QUOTE]

It will probably still have a different UPC code/SKU, however a DLC code is much less hassle for walmart than a double pack like that Batman AC package....less shelf space taken, half as many cartons of games to sent to stores, ect) and a DLC is much cheaper for Activison to fulfill (no case or printing expense, ect) and doesn't completely destroy the retail market for the first game by flooding ebay/Gamestop with tons of copies of the game.

always thought prototype was a crappy infamous copy, but getting that free and the "special edition" may go to walmart on tuesday since I am off

I may have to jump on this.

I've been looking for a cheap copy of Prototype, and thus far the best I've been able to find is an $11 used copy at goHastings.

I wish this was Amazon instead, since I have credit there.

Oh well, I'll have to do with renting it and missing out on the extra content. :( Maybe they'll do an online pass sort of thing.

Definetely going to wait on this one. If it is anything like Wal-Marts past promotions, I should be able to get this game in 5 months including the pack-in. I just did this a few weeks ago with Assassin's Creed Revelations on a price match from Bestbuy.

I totally dug the Batman bundle. They made way too goddamn many though my Wal-Mart is still packed with them. I pre-ordered for a $10 credit and the collector's edition controller which is totally bad ass.

After watching some trailers, this game has some potential. Crazy fun gameplay and might have a great story. I'm really thinking of buying this now.

Alright, I decided I want to preorder this. I have never preordered a game from walmart before, so as I'm shopping today I go to the game section to preorder and I am told you can't preorder in store. The guy told me I have to preorder online for store pickup or shipped to my home. I then go to walmart.com and there is no store pickup option and the shipping is estimated for 5/3. I'm not waiting that long. is my best bet to just go to walmart on tuesday without a preorder and buy it? Or is the prototype code a preorder exclusive?

So I was back in my local Wal mart today, and noticed the in-store advertisement said Purchase, not pre-order. So I think you could just stroll in on Tuesday, and all the copies will have the dlc inside (it says supplies limited, but I'm sure that just covers it to not be an indefinite type deal).

Yeah I'm pretty sure the Batman AC deal was similar. They said it was a pre-order bonus, but it was available to anyone who purchased there as long as you got the right packaging. You should be good to go in on Tuesday.

Will Walmart honor the Toys R Us coupon in this Sundays sale ad for $10 off any game $39.99 and up?I would love to get this Tuesday for $49.99.

[quote name='Fedexdriver12']Will Walmart honor the Toys R Us coupon in this Sundays sale ad for $10 off any game $39.99 and up?I would love to get this Tuesday for $49.99.[/QUOTE]

Probably not since it does not list a specific item, does not hurt to try though.

[quote name='Fedexdriver12']Will Walmart honor the Toys R Us coupon in this Sundays sale ad for $10 off any game $39.99 and up?I would love to get this Tuesday for $49.99.[/QUOTE]

It'd be a lot easier to price match Fry's at $49.99 though. That's what I'm going to do.

[quote name='VyseArcad1a']It'd be a lot easier to price match Fry's at $49.99 though. That's what I'm going to do.[/QUOTE]

For Frye's is there a physical flyer? Or will Wal-Mart PM through an online ad/circular?

[quote name='def PD']For Frye's is there a physical flyer? Or will Wal-Mart PM through an online ad/circular?[/QUOTE]

You can print it off their website. Now depending on where you are, it may not be local, so its YMMV if they may price match it. We have Fry's here in Houston so it's normally not a problem for me to PM something.

[quote name='wintermute9001']I picked up a copy, thanks OP! Only problem...my code for the download of the original game is invalid. Has anyone had any success getting the first game?[/QUOTE]

I was just coming in to clarify this. I had the same problem, then figured out what the issue was. Whereas XBLA redemption codes are not case sensitive, the code you enter on the Prototype redemption website IS. Confused me, because when I entered everything all lowercase, it still shows up as uppercase on the screen. I turned CAPS LOCK on, entered it again, and it worked.

Hope that solves your problem!

[quote name='timberwolfbobby']I was just coming in to clarify this. I had the same problem, then figured out what the issue was. Whereas XBLA redemption codes are not case sensitive, the code you enter on the Prototype redemption website IS. Confused me, because when I entered everything all lowercase, it still shows up as uppercase on the screen. I turned CAPS LOCK on, entered it again, and it worked.

Hope that solves your problem![/QUOTE]

That worked. What poor design to have a case sensitive code but a website that only displays upper case. Thanks for the help!

Picked up 3 copies. One for my self and the other for friends. $49.96 each with a printout of the Frys ad.

The code on the website troubled me too and I actually called in and was told how the website automatically made all letters look capitalized even if they weren't.

Man, I would love to get in on this, as I didn't play the first game and the second one looks totally awesome. Aside from the Fry's deal, does anyone know of any other deals I could try to price match with? There are no Fry's locations anywhere near me.

Thanks!

-B

bread's done
Back