Pre-order Red Faction: Armageddon from OnLive get Game System + RF:G free pay S&H+tax

louiedog

CAGiversary!
Feedback
56 (100%)
Purchase a Full PlayPass for "Red Faction: Armageddon" until June 6, 2011 (11:59PM PDT) and receive an email with directions to claim a free Full PlayPass to "Red Faction: Guerrilla" and an OnLive Game System shortly after purchase. Shipping, handling and tax for the OnLive Game System not included.

link

more details

When they did this for Homefront someone reported $9.99 for 2-day shipping and no tax, so that probably varies by state.

[quote name='dgwillia006']Jeez, OnLive must not be doing too well[/QUOTE]

The console is little more than a streaming video player that also sends back controller commands. Controllers are not that expensive to make, they often have very large markups. I bet the hardware they're including costs them $30 or less. RF:G was given away as an incentive for another game over a year ago and has been discounted to $5 on Steam and OnLive before. They're not breaking the bank on this when you consider the discounts games like Portal 2 have gotten recently, and I'm sure it's selling fine.

That said, no, they probably aren't doing great. A lot of people don't seem interested in the idea of OnLive and many of those who do see the selection, requirements, and implementation and don't feel like buying into it yet. We'll see. I think it's definitely interesting to watch from the sidelines.

[quote name='dgwillia006']Jeez, OnLive must not be doing too well[/QUOTE]

Friend of mine won the hardware and a free month not long ago and I tried it at his house. It pretty much sucked.

But then again we just tried some demos and watched other people play since he didnt want to actually buy anything.

We tried a batman demo and it was ok I guess but the visual quality wasnt as good as our ps3 versions we owned and a couple times we were playing and it was like the game jumped ahead in time like 3 seconds or so. The controller sucked, the interface wasnt that good and sometimes things loaded pretty quick and others noticeably long.

We played with it for like a hour and he boxed it up to gave to me to put in my gaming collection.

But then again neither of us like digital games at all, hell we dont even like steam just because you dont actually own anything and dont know if it will be around in 10 years if we want to play our games again, if it is around in 10 years steam might be updated for newer OS's but the games wont be or digital games for 360 may not be supported on future systems, what if digital service dies and you have nothing, you can trade or sell or let your friends borrow your games and all that shit. He and I like actually having a game because its ours and in 25 years if I want to play it then we get out the system and the game and play just like we do with nes and genesis games. Digital stuff is just paying for a rental with a open ended and undetermined amount of time you get to keep it.

I'm a big believer in what OnLive is doing, but I still think there needs to be another leap in affordable internet speeds before this becomes feasible for the average person.

I've been playing Homefront on it with a 20 mbps internet connection and the graphics still look worse than the console/pc equivalent + there is still noticeable lag.

And yeah, their console is dirt cheap. $30 sounds about right. The thing is a glorified media streamer. I would almost bet the controller costs more than the console itself.

I guess I am in the minority but I really like the system. I got mine with my Homefront pre-order and I thought the online in it was quite good and didn't notice any lag. It may be that I have a fast connection but it works and looks great on my end.

Count me in as a fan. They do crazy awesome promotions. The $10 a month subscription for over 50 games is pretty sweet. And my down load speeds are 9 mbps down and 1mbps up and I have had no serious trouble with it. Once and a while there may be a hiccup, but that hardly bothers me.

Not to mention I can play a game on the MicroConsole in the family room, then on the 8 year old desktop in the basement, and then on my work laptop during lunch (on wireless too!). And soon on any Android tablet....

I may bite on this. I did the Homefront/Metro 2033/MicroConsole promo so I'm not sure I want another MC and Red Faction isn't something I'm big into...

We'll see. I LOVED the 75% off deals they do though. Borderlands GOTY for $7.50 and Assassins Creed Brotherhood for $11.50.

NICE!

I'm curious, if I buy RF: A, and get the microconsole. Do I still get a free playpass that comes with the console?

Last edited by a moderator:
Hm. Well, I've never gotten OnLive to work on my DSL connection. I tried the beta and it basically told me my connection was too slow to use their service. From the other comments in here, it seems like if you have anything less than a top-speed cable connection it's not that great.

Dark Rider,
No free pass with the Micro Console. If this works like the Homefront promo, what you'll do is install and open the Onlive PC client, buy Red Faction:Armageddon, then they'll send you a playpass code for Red Faction Guerrilla, then you go into the client and purchase it by entering in the code at the purchase screen.

Then, once RF:A is released, they send you a code for a MicroConsole.

Red Faction Guerrilla is one of the 5 games with Achievements right now, and I expect RF:A will be released with them.

Anyone who can get 5mbps down and around 1 mbps up at speedtest.net should install the client and check it out. You can play any game for free for a half hour. Then you just have to restart. So why not try it out? Check out Unreal Tourney 3 multiplayer some night. Pay nothing. Just play in 30 min. clips.

I swear all they need is one more major developer to move their way and the thing is going to blow up. If they get EA to support the service again, it'll be huge. I'd love to play the first Crysis!

I got the microconsole from the Homefront promo back in March and love it. Very little trouble with lag and the graphic look great. I actually love the controller too. The best part of it is the sales though. I've picked up Brotherhood for 12.50, NBA 2K11 for 9.99, and haven't paid more than 5 bucks for anything else. I'm probably going to do this deal and just sell the extra console on ebay for 50 bucks getting both Red Faction games for free.

bread's done
Back