Pre-order: Wal-mart $199 Kinect Bundle (Kinect + Game + $30 gift card)

[quote name='SteveDaWonder']Very interesting....[/QUOTE]

Considering that Microsoft has yet to announce pricing....yep!

$200.00?

At $150-200, this will hit clearance fast, right next to all the guitar's at Walmart.

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='SteveDaWonder']Someone ought to update the title and opening post to include what's in the bundle and the price.[/QUOTE]

fixed!

[quote name='Mr Dude65']Didn't Microsoft already confirm that the price for kinect was $149.99?[/QUOTE]

I can confirm that I won't be paying anywhere near that for one!

[quote name='Mr Dude65']Didn't Microsoft already confirm that the price for kinect was $149.99?[/QUOTE]

There was nothing official -- some leaks and screen shot from Gamestop in June.

They posted it on their retail store at $149.99, but still deny it is an official price, to the best of my knowledge.

But didn't they put it up on the OFFICIAL microsoft store for that price? I'd say that's pretty much confirmed.

EDIT: Oh, okay.

Holy crap, this thing is going to cost 200 bucks? Wow I didnt know I could be less interested in the kinect. Hopefully it MS will make this cynic wrong and make it worth that much, but I doubt it.

EDIT:
Sorry, $150. Still FAIL.

[quote name='Mr Dude65']But didn't they put it up on the OFFICIAL microsoft store for that price? I'd say that's pretty much confirmed.

EDIT: Oh, okay.[/QUOTE]
I agree. $150 am confirmed (but still not really).

Hmm, didn't really plan on getting Kinnect, but ASSUMING Wal-Mart brings this down to what is the assumed $150 price for connect, this turns into a heck of a deal, making the actual Kinnect itself about $60. If this does indeed end up being $200, forget it all together.

Nope. The only thing they have said is that nothing is official yet.

I really think this thing is going to be the Virtual Boy of this generation. Retailers will be dumping this thing next spring. I'll say $50 by next April/May.

[quote name='Despacio']Hmm, didn't really plan on getting Kinnect, but ASSUMING Wal-Mart brings this down to what is the assumed $150 price for connect, this turns into a heck of a deal, making the actual Kinnect itself about $60. If this does indeed end up being $200, forget it all together.[/QUOTE]

What are you talking about? It's not intended to be a free game and a certificate for whatever the MSRP of just the Kinect ends up being. They are listing the Kinect alone for $150 on their site. As such, the Kinect is already presumed to be $150 in the bundle. Basically, you get the Kinect unit, the game and a $30 e-certificate for $200. In theory, that's $10 off the game and a bonus $30 cert which may or may not be that great of a deal depending on how often you buy games from Walmart. Unfortunately, California tax kills the deal for the most part.

I had assumed (hoped) that kinect would have their wiisports ripoff as a pack in. I've just lost all faith in the kinect. No grandma is going to pick up a 360 for ~$200 and a kinect for ~$200, when she could just get a wii.

Why does $150 really not seem that bad to me? I mean I agree it should be with a game, but the price isn't awful. All the games aside from Dance Central and the exercise-related games being $60 is surprising. Those should possibly be $50 or less, comparable to wii pricing.

When compared to Move, Kinect seems the more straight forward purchase. It's like Sony and MS switched sides on this one, where Sony had everything built in to their system, and a 360 resulted in many having to make additional purchases down the line. Owning and enjoying both systems thats the impression I got anyway.

Sony's Move pricing seems misleading to me. Does their bundle even let you play all the games on the disc in said bundle? If not, tack on another $30 (or use a dual shock 3 in one hand which doesnt seem comfortable) or $50. That brings it up to the price of Kinect, I'm still at enough equipment for one player, but I only hear people complaining about Kinect pricing in general.

Both options seem on the higher side to me in terms of pricing, but not terrible. Considering standard controllers this generation still cost $50/controller, $150 seems in line to me. Two players = $100. Tack on $50 considering its new technology and either solution is probably more complex in terms of hardware.

[quote name='mikeja72']Why does $150 really not seem that bad to me? I mean I agree it should be with a game, but the price isn't awful. All the games aside from Dance Central and the exercise-related games being $60 is surprising. Those should possibly be $50 or less, comparable to wii pricing.

When compared to Move, Kinect seems the more straight forward purchase. It's like Sony and MS switched sides on this one, where Sony had everything built in to their system, and a 360 resulted in many having to make additional purchases down the line. Owning and enjoying both systems thats the impression I got anyway.

Sony's Move pricing seems misleading to me. Does their bundle even let you play all the games on the disc in said bundle? If not, tack on another $30 (or use a dual shock 3 in one hand which doesnt seem comfortable) or $50. That brings it up to the price of Kinect, I'm still at enough equipment for one player, but I only hear people complaining about Kinect pricing in general.

Both options seem on the higher side to me in terms of pricing, but not terrible. Considering standard controllers this generation still cost $50/controller, $150 seems in line to me. Two players = $100. Tack on $50 considering its new technology and either solution is probably more complex in terms of hardware.[/QUOTE]

I agree. I'm not that concerned with the price, however I am concerned how well it will work. I'm near a Microsoft Store and it wasn't as accurate as they claim. I needed to be in perfect placement, and even then my character was jumping when I wasn't. Im wondering if it is because Im on the taller side. (6'4'') I'm hoping they fix that before it's released. I actually was looking forward to this until I tried it. Their marketing is doing the exact opposite!

You are right, 2 people can play together, so it just like buying two controllers.

[quote name='SoulPatch']I agree. I'm not that concerned with the price, however I am concerned how well it will work. I'm near a Microsoft Store and it wasn't as accurate as they claim. I needed to be in perfect placement, and even then my character was jumping when I wasn't. Im wondering if it is because Im on the taller side. (6'4'') I'm hoping they fix that before it's released. I actually was looking forward to this until I tried it. Their marketing is doing the exact opposite!

You are right, 2 people can play together, so it just like buying two controllers.[/QUOTE]

I really want to try it out but from NJ my only option I think is maybe a store in NY. I thought I recall them actually giving out 10 or so display units to Macys?

That's interesting to hear. People at GiantBomb seemed to think it worked okay for them, and I think one of them is on the taller side. Maybe it varies from game to game? Hopefully we'll hear more as the APIs get updated. I think Harmonix said something like they were getting API changes in up to two weeks before e3 and still were getting updates. Hopefully it all works out smoothly in terms of technology by the time its available.

Note the following:

Product Alert: Official pricing and release date have not been announced by the publisher. These are estimates only and subject to change.

I do not disagree the the price is a bit high, but it is July and it is expected in November -- I figure the real price will not be known till October but if it is a hot item, if you don't get it now don't expect to see it under the tree come December.

[quote name='Todd33']$200 for a low res camera (the IR is even lower than the RGB) and a bad launch game? Does MS want this to fail?[/QUOTE]

Eh walmart's bundle has nothing to do with MS. The piece of hardware is rumored to be $150. Whatever game you choose to buy after that, good, bad, or otherwise will likely bring you just shy of $210. If there is a game you will enjoy, then you just bought a game with a pricey peripheral.

I paid $170 or so for a game at launch that could be boiled down and described negatively as 2 pieces of large plastic and a microphone (see Rock Band). Everything could be boiled down to very simple terms that make it seem like nothing. I enjoyed Rock Band and if I think i will enjoy this, I'll pick it up.

This doesnt seem much different in terms of price and what it's offering. And it won't even take up a corner in my living room. :)

[quote name='mikeja72']Why does $150 really not seem that bad to me? I mean I agree it should be with a game, but the price isn't awful. All the games aside from Dance Central and the exercise-related games being $60 is surprising. Those should possibly be $50 or less, comparable to wii pricing.

Both options seem on the higher side to me in terms of pricing, but not terrible. Considering standard controllers this generation still cost $50/controller, $150 seems in line to me. Two players = $100. Tack on $50 considering its new technology and either solution is probably more complex in terms of hardware.[/QUOTE]
I think you're thinking of it in the wrong terms.
It's not Sony vs. Microsoft here.
It's anytime a peripheral is almost the price of the complete console, you're boarding on bat-shit insanity (ala Steel Battalion, which I love and cherish).
To each his own but I think Kinect is not priced correctly to pick up the casual audience MS claims to desire.

It's almost tempting to buy this piece of sh*t and just stick it in the closet without ever opening it. I have a feeling it will be a highly valuable collector's item in 10 years after Microsoft completely drops this thing after its initial production run that fails as miserably as the N-Gage.

I sometimes wonder if Microsoft has no clue what they are going to price Kinect at because they have no clue how well the final consumer product is going to perform from a technical perspective.

[quote name='cdrw123']So basically u save 10$ cash and get a 30 e-gift card than payin retail. I think i'll wait for a better deal[/QUOTE]

Don't forget tax. So much for that $10 saved eh?

It's a little weird that Gamefly does not allow me to add any Kinect games to my queue.

I'm interested in the Kinect, but Microsoft needs grab excitement with:
1) Lowering the price to $100 (two 640x480 cameras and microphones -- couldn't be more than $11 for wholesale parts)
2) Include Kinect Adventures for free

I guess they want to rip off the early adopter crowd while they can and then do the above next year to be more competitive and appeal to the casual crowd.

In 2012, they'll lower the price to $50 and include Kinect Adventures and Kinectimals for free.

[quote name='Vader582']It's not Sony vs. Microsoft here.[/QUOTE]

I agree. I have to concur with Cheapy and the podcast crew that Move and Kinect exist solely as a block to Nintendo gaining market share.

If Dad can rationalize saving $$ by buying a peripheral that costs less than the Wii, and then pick up some waggle games, he can please his wife by avoiding the extra console so mom can still buy that new sofa. And this helps Sony and MS retain market share and subsequently move more software since budgets won't be split amongst multiple consoles.

That's a lot of money! I thought it would be like $100 or at most $150, but $199? Insane! I'll wait till what people say about this. But the deal is pretty descent if you want it on release day/week.

[quote name='Serpentor']That's a lot of money! I thought it would be like $100 or at most $150, but $199? Insane! I'll wait till what people say about this. But the deal is pretty descent if you want it on release day/week.[/QUOTE]

$199 is for the BUNDLE!!!

[quote name='rp71284']Don't forget tax. So much for that $10 saved eh?[/QUOTE]

That's a retarded thing to say. You are still saving $10 with or without tax.

On another note, Kinect will flop. Being a retail employee, I have seen plenty of Tony Hawk Rides and Microsoft Zunes that never leave store shelves.

I want Kinect (due mainly to the Dance game) but $199 is tough to swallow esp in this economy.
I'll wait for some official confirmation before jumping in. I have a feeling we'll see both Kinect and Move drop in price 3-6 months after release. Move is also pretty pricey when you consider all the extras (and the fact some Move game demos they've shown required 2 of the $50 peripheral).

[quote name='Nintendonly']That's a retarded thing to say. You are still saving $10 with or without tax.

On another note, Kinect will flop. Being a retail employee, I have seen plenty of Tony Hawk Rides and Microsoft Zunes that never leave store shelves.[/QUOTE]

If you don't live in Kansas, Kentucky, New York, North Dakota, or Washington state, you could order through Amazon.com and NOT pay tax. Thus, going with Walmart versus Amazon.com would be a wash at best, or detrimental if you live in a high sales tax state such as California (look up the concept of opportunity cost). If you live in Alaska, Delaware, Montana, New Hampshire, or Oregon and don't have to pay sales tax, then Walmart's offer COULD be considered to be a deal. Regardless, rp71284 did NOT say anything remotely retarded.

In 2012, they'll lower the price to $50 and include Kinect Adventures and Kinectimals for free.

In 2012 you'll be able to pick up a Kinect for $20 and games for $4 each if you can find them on the clearance shelf at any retailer dumb enough to order more than about 5 of these things.

I agree. I have to concur with Cheapy and the podcast crew that Move and Kinect exist solely as a block to Nintendo gaining market share.

If Dad can rationalize saving $$ by buying a peripheral that costs less than the Wii, and then pick up some waggle games, he can please his wife by avoiding the extra console so mom can still buy that new sofa. And this helps Sony and MS retain market share and subsequently move more software since budgets won't be split amongst multiple consoles.

I'd say they're about 80 million Wii's late to be attempting to block Nintendo's market share. And if you don't already own a 360 or PS3 you're sure as hell not saving $$ with the Move or Kinect. Even if you do, you'd save, what, $50 by buying Kinect instead of Wii? Real cost-saver there..

bread's done
Back