Pre Vice Presdential Debate and Debate Thoughts.

[quote name='helava']http://www.thepilot.com/opinion/100604PilotEditorial2.html

That's the "hometown newspaper" that Cheney mentioned. 20 miles from his hometown, and a weekly - not any of the major daily papers. But regardless, they haven't "taken to" calling him anything. There's one reference there, and that's even followed by a caveat, that of the other Democratic Senators who were running for office, Edwards actually had the best attendance, and hadn't missed a vote where his presence would have changed the outcome.

Go Cheney!

seppo[/quote]

Go Edwards for showing up for only 60% of his Senate vote in 2003, and probably less in 2004. What you said is right, I sure wish we I could show up at my job 60% of the time. And don't give me this it doesn't matter because it wasn't close crap. He's voted into senate to represent his constituents, thusly he should be there to express their voice, instead he's off trying to be president or someplace else. Same goes for the other people with bad records IMO, Edwards said a long resume doesn't equal good attendance. He's right, but well best attendence out of a group with really crappy attendance isn't something to hold up so high.

Yeah senators shouldn't be allowed to run for president, since it involves campaigning. :roll:

The president has spent TONS of time running all over the country campaigning instead of doing his job, but that's what happens in an election year (plus the primary for non-incumbents). It sucks, but what are you going to do?

No, Edwards said a long resume doesn't equal good judgement. And I think that's absolutely the case. Bush/Cheney have shown that they have extraordinarily poor judgement, and they're not the kind of people I want running my country.

seppo

Check out factcheck.org's debunking of the debate.

Also, I saw Tim Russert say this morning that Edwards and Cheney met on Meet the Press in April 01, and he saw them shake hands and talk.

You also have to keep in mind that almost none of the real business of Congress (both Senate and House) takes place on the voting floor. In fact, voting is almost an irrelevant formality, since everyone already knows how the vote is going to pan out long before its even held (with only some VERY rare exceptions involving volitile, close-vote bills.)

The real business of the Senate happens behind closed doors, with lots of politicing of the old-boys network, meetings with lobbyists, evaluations by the senator's advisors (especially their campaign advisors), give-and-take between senators (I'll vote for your bill if you vote for mine), and lots of other not-quite-upright political manuvering that every Senator will deny until he's blue in the face that he's involved in, despite the fact that he does it day in and day out.

Actually, its not really surprising that Cheney doesn't know Edwards; until you've been there for at least 2 or 3 terms, you're pretty much considered irrelevent. Newcomer Congressmen get put in unimportant 'day-care' committees and are expected to not speak unless spoken to. Its not a pretty system, but its the way things work...

People, people, people. You're forgetting one thing: Cheney lies!

In last night's debate, Cheney said Edwards has "one of the worst attendance records in the United States Senate."

In truth, Edwards has an 84.8% voting record in the Senate. In each of his first four years, he had a perfect or near perfect record:

1999 Cast 371 out of 274 votes for a 99.2% voting record
2000 Cast 298 out of 298 votes for a 100% voting record
2001 Cast 377 out of 380 votes for a 99.2% voting record
2002 Cast 253 out of 253 votes for a 100% voting record
2003 Cast 281 out of 459 votes for a 61.2% voting record
2004 Cast 84 out of 198 votes for a 42.4% voting record

OVERALL Edwards has cast 1664 out of 1962 votes for a 84.8% voting record.

http://www.senate.gov/pagelayout/legislative/a_three_sections_with_teasers/votes.htm

bread's done
Back