Predict 3DS Price

I've seen a ton of people discussing this recently. I personally think around $220. I'm hoping that Gamestop does a trade in program where you can trade in the DSi for a nice amount off the 3DS.

I'm personally hoping it will cost under $200 when it comes out. Though that would most likely involve the other models having a price cut which I'm not sure if Nintendo is willing to do since it'll cut into their printing money.

$200 minimum, $230 max. $250 seems a bit high and a lot of people would be turned off by that price judging by what I've heard.

This is a tough one because we don't have comparison products for 3d screen price & we don't know the full specs. I'm going to say minimum $180, maximum $230, and middle $200. It depends on those variables & whether they want to profit off the hardware at launch or not long after or if they want to take a small loss to combat Apple's increasing marketshare.

[quote name='J7.']This is a tough one because we don't have comparison products for 3d screen price & we don't know the full specs. I'm going to say minimum $180, maximum $230, and middle $200. It depends on those variables & whether they want to profit off the hardware at launch or not long after or if they want to take a small loss to combat Apple's increasing marketshare.[/QUOTE]

I'm pretty sure Nintendo has always made sure they profit on their hardware right out the door. They've been making money off the Wii since day 1 and even the Gamecube was profitable for them. I pray for a $200 price tag tops but look at what they're charging for the DSi XL :whistle2:|

$199.99 is the price it will be. Any higher and Nintendo will price themselves out of the casual market they have a stranglehold on.

I say 200-210. Most likely 199, depending on how we see DSi and DSi XL prices do. Moreover, I'm still anticipating a release date. We'll probably get one by TGS, hopefully.

[quote name='thelonepig']Funny, I was going to say $199 but the $190 - $200 band isn't part of the survey.[/QUOTE]

Yeah, I think each category is supposed to end in a "9" instead of a "0". OP got a little too excited to hit "post".

It's going to be $200 or $250, but I think $200. It's going to cost more than the DSi (apparently quite a bit more, too). But we don't whether or not if that's from the current DSi price or the price dropped DSi price in Japan. They haven't signaled they'll drop the price of the DSi here, but they sort of have to given both Europe and Japan have done it.

I can't imagine them charging more than $200 for a handheld. Considering the original DS launched at $130, it gave them a real competitive price against the then-$250 (and overpriced) PSP. The Dsi/DSi XL pricing does have me worried, though.

[quote name='johnnypark']I can't imagine them charging more than $200 for a handheld. Considering the original DS launched at $130, it gave them a real competitive price against the then-$250 (and overpriced) PSP. The Dsi/DSi XL pricing does have me worried, though.[/QUOTE]

Not quite. The original DS launched at $150, and came down to $130 after they stopped packing in Prime Hunters First Hunt, which was about 6-7 months into the system's life-cycle.

Another point on why I think it'll be $200. They said they're gunning for Apple now, so if they price it competitively with the iPhone/iPod, it'd have to be $200.

Virtual Boy came out at $179.99, So I'm saying $179.99.

Edit: OP's numbers in the poll are terrible. Why did you do 140-150, then skip to 160, etc? You're not representing the range from 151-160, etc.

They're getting too greedy. $190 for DSXL? Nintendo wants console prices for a hand held. They'll justify it as, but it's 3d, without the glasses. $250 is a bargain. I give them one more console before they start charging $800 for their systems.

Then have to put up with them blaming us for not buying their products anymore.

I'm putting my money on $199.99. I just don't think they'd go higher than that and I don't think the additions over the DSi are so extravagant that they won't profit with that price. I'd also be pretty willing to pay that much for it.

$200 is way too expensive for handheld. $150 was already really expensive for handheld. Lite launched at $130 in the Americas. I mean, I guess $200 is what they're going to decide on but it can fuck itself at that price.

I'd be very surprised if it was more than 199.99.

Nintendo's demographic skews younger and casual than Sony or MSs, go higher and they'll price themselves out of the market they have a strangle hold on.

$200 is probably pushing it when it comes to the young kids market as that's a pretty pricey gift for parents to buy--at least out of the upper middle class and above.

I went for $200 - $210. If it's anymore than that, I may wait to pick one up. Probably if a store has some kind of bundle, that's when I'll jump. I bought my original DS a few months after launch because Toys R Us had something like $10 off and one launch game of your choice.

hopefully it's not above the $199. Thinking the most I would want to pay is $170 which is a lot higher then how much my ds and psp cost me(got them used).
If they manage $150 or less would be best. It would be hard not to buy at that point.

$199, and there will probably be a $30 price cut on all current DS models around launch in order to stagger the pricing effectively. But damn, having four handhelds on the shelves is counterproductive.

I have to refrain from talking specifically about the price point. What I can confirm is that, in terms of the production costs, it will cost more than the costs for the Nintendo DS today. Having said that, we believe we will produce enough value worthy of the production cost. We do not think we have to sell the products below cost.

The real question now though is whether or not he’s referring to the DSi XL, or just the regular Nintendo DS line? I’d recommended bracing yourself for a higher price point (maybe even up to $250 USD), and then hopefully we’ll be pleasantly surprised.

I got that from here, http://nintendo3dsblog.com/
The title of the article is Iwata discusses the price point of the 3DS

I'd have to argue that the games won't cost 50 bucks. Nintendo tries to keep things affordable, since they know it will garner more sales for them. I think that's also why Nintendo is having excellent sales, since they are keeping their games below the new "norm" of games being 60 bucks. I'd say more like 30-40 bucks a game.

I am thinking $229... but yeah, unless it is over $250, it is day 1 for me. Over that, I have to really think about it and will question Nintendo's sanity...

I say about $200. Considering we don't know when the 3DS will hit the market, maybe Nintendo is waiting until the cost of making one is cheaper, since the 3D screen is fairly new technology, and Sharp and Hitachi haven't released their products yet.

[quote name='FriskyTanuki']$190-200, which isn't on the poll.

They'll drop the DS Lite completely and drop the DSi models about 30-$40 each to make room for it.[/QUOTE]

Well they've done that in Japan and Europe, but not here yet. The DSiXL included. I'm guessing a price drop will come a little closer to holiday.

[quote name='KingBroly']Well they've done that in Japan and Europe, but not here yet. The DSiXL included. I'm guessing a price drop will come a little closer to holiday.[/QUOTE]

If not then, then right before the 3DS launch. I could see dropping the prices at Christmas a smart move: unload a lot of systems before the 3DS comes and kills the old systems' sales anyway.

I'm going to go with $220-$230. 3-D technology isn't cheap, and the more recent DS systems are right below $200. It's probably going to be more expensive than the Wii. Which would be pretty funny, having a portable cost more than a console.

[quote name='coalman987']I'm pretty sure Nintendo has always made sure they profit on their hardware right out the door. They've been making money off the Wii since day 1 and even the Gamecube was profitable for them. I pray for a $200 price tag tops but look at what they're charging for the DSi XL :whistle2:|[/QUOTE]

Not really, Nintendo were the ones who pioneered selling their console at a loss. Recently though they don't do that. But i think they might be willing to take a small loss just at the start of the 3DS's life or much smaller profit margin off it in order to buffer Apple's game success.

[quote name='mtxbass1']Virtual Boy came out at $179.99, So I'm saying $179.99.

Edit: OP's numbers in the poll are terrible. Why did you do 140-150, then skip to 160, etc? You're not representing the range from 151-160, etc.[/QUOTE]

Dude the prices are fine. You think they're going to price the 3DS at $150.99, $151.99, $152.99, $153.99, $154.99, $155.99, $156.99, $157.99, or $158.99? Seriously?

It's going to cost $xx9.99, which my price ranges capture.
$139.99=$140
$149.99=$150
$159.99=$160

Does it make sense to make ranges of $140-160, $160-180? People would argue even more about that. Which one do I pick they both have the price!? You see?

[quote name='MorPhiend']Yeah, I think each category is supposed to end in a "9" instead of a "0". OP got a little too excited to hit "post".[/QUOTE]

I actually changed the poll prices after setting them all up and didn't rush it. I have it at $140-$150, $160-$170 etc because it's not going to end in $xx5 and $160 is the same as $159.99.

[quote name='FriskyTanuki']$190-200, which isn't on the poll.

They'll drop the DS Lite completely and drop the DSi models about 30-$40 each to make room for it.[/QUOTE]

I figured it would be best to pick 1 price for the poll and not multiple prices, you can state those in the comments. And also thought it would be better to have less than 12-14 choices so we would actually have significant numbers of votes in each category.

I cannot edit the poll now. Next time I will post 12-14 choices and layer over each other so people will ask me which range they're supposed to pick if both have the same price or I will take the time to type it out as $149.99-$158.99, $159.99-$168.99, $149.99-$159.98, $159.99-$169.98, etc so everyone is happy.

I think Nintendo will use the "this is new technology" excuse and ask for $250, and no, they wont cut the others down.

Affordability has always been Nintendo's key selling points but I think they'll price it at $199.99. I can't imagine the 3DS screen being cheap, especially since it's fairly new technology.

bread's done
Back