Preferred Browser?

Mr. Anderson

CAGiversary!
Feedback
21 (100%)
I used to use Avant, but hearing Scrubkings endless praise of Opera, I decided to give it a try. I like it, but I have to get used to it. I also don't like the mandatory ads. Urgh. What is your browser of choice?

If you have a firewall that blocks ads it will block the opera ads, but opera is worth every penny imo.

And I can't wait till Opera 7.5 hits. It is even faster and it has built in irc chat rooms among other features.

The best part about opera is that the devs actually listen to what their users want and then implement it into the browser.

started using opera after hearing it on here a few times. For most everything it works fine. there are a couple of plug in type problems but otherwise cool. It also helps my laptop is set at 1600x1200 so the outer edges arnt much of the screen

Opera by far!

Firefox is a fine enough browser but considering its only a browser I think that it is limited. Sure you can get all the mail client, news client, and such extras but I believe just the firefox is an 8 meg download while Opera is 3 megs and it has EVERYTHING. Speed and ease of use are NOT matched by any other browser. It only takes maybe a week to get used to it.

I could go on and on about Opera and it totally deserves to be. I bought my version not to get rid of the ads but to support what I feel is the best piece of software on my computer.

btw-Opera 7.5 beta just hit ...try it

http://www.opera.com

btw-Opera has had a popup blocker built in since last version

anyone using IE for browsing at least 30% slower than I am and they are also at risk for whatever latest viruses the script kiddies come out with...

Opera Skins rule too...it has skins to LOOK just like IE if...most people have no idea looking at my screen that I am on an alternate browser.

OPERA OPERA OPERA

OPERA OPERA OPERA

OPERA OPERA OPERA

OPERA OPERA OPERA
OPERA OPERA OPERA

OPERA OPERA OPERA
OPERA OPERA OPERA

OPERA OPERA OPERA
OPERA OPERA OPERA

OPERA OPERA OPERA
OPERA OPERA OPERA

OPERA OPERA OPERA
OPERA OPERA OPERA

OPERA OPERA OPERA
OPERA OPERA OPERA

OPERA OPERA OPERA
OPERA OPERA OPERA

OPERA OPERA OPERA
OPERA OPERA OPERA

OPERA OPERA OPERA
OPERA OPERA OPERA

OPERA OPERA OPERA

[quote name='"jeffreyjrose"']Safari all the way, the pop up blocker is champ! (Wait, did I just reveal that I am on a mac?)[/quote]

hell yeah! safari right here! I tried using opera...but when I get more than 10 or so windows tabbed it slows down...I get NO slowdown on Safari...It could be I upgraded to a dual 2 ghz G5!!!!

*edit* defender...how come my qoutes never work?

you dont need the google toolbar in opera since it not only has google search built into the bar but also ebay, amazon, all the web, find in page(very useful), domain names, lycos, mp3s, and some others

also your quotes dont work because you are doing it incorrectly...

I see your quote= is not closed

Code:
[QUOTE]test quote[/quote]

also I notice everyone says...

"I use IE and its just fine..."

well...I use Opera AND I LOVE IT!

how many people say they LOVE IE? You just dont know the difference unless you give it a shot...and installing it doesnt count...use it for a week and you will NEVER go back to IE as your primary browser again

everyone always says how nice a popup blocker is or the google toolbar but these innovations have been in opera for quite some time...Mouse gestures are in Opera now...why wait to get innovation when you can have it NOW

I dare anyone to name a browser feature that opera doesnt have already built in! Also Opera is a SMALL program in comparison to the other browsers.

OPERA OPERA OPERA! YoU MusT SwItCH

True. In my complacence, I used to be one of those "IE is fine for me" people too, probably all those years of Netscape vs. IE and seeing NS' product go to crap with the 4.x versions.

I switched to Mozilla a few months ago though, and haven't looked back - the tabbed browsing and privacy/cookie features are vastly superior to IE. What's the main difference between Mozilla and Firebird?

Here are some of Operas features

- Download resume
- notepad
- built in email client
- history list
- list of all links on current page
- changeable skins
- popup blocker
- a ton of built in search engines
- ability to hide images with a simple click or only show loaded images
- completely customizable toolbars, navigation bars, etc
- ability to be identified as opera, IE6, mozilla, etc
- great support community at the opera forums
- a ton of other stuff

Also the new version of Opera will have built in irc chat and some other new features

I tried out Opera, and while I loved for the 30 minutes I was browsing, it simply refused to start again once I had closed the browser window. Meh. I went to back to Avant after trying out a few others (Firefox, regular IE, etc.). Avant has always suited my needs and I'm used to the layout anyway. Ahhhh.

[quote name='SevereTireDamage']What's the main difference between Mozilla and Firebird?[/quote]

Firefox is kind of the experimental, concept version of Mozilla. With that in mind, you'd think it would be buggy and crash a lot, but it doesn't crash that often; it's pretty stable overall. I'm using it and I really love how you can customize it with keywords. For example, I have it set to allow a quicksearch on Froogle; I just type in "froogle [name of game]" in the address bar and it returns the results of a Froogle search on that game. Same goes for Google, eBay, Amazon, or any other site you wish to search. You can set it up to use a keyword for that site. I also have set so that when I visit CAG, I don't have to type the full address; I just type "cag" and press enter, and it fills in the rest for me. It features the tabbed browsing of Mozilla, which is great, especially for loading links in the background while you continue to read the page you're reading. And like Mozilla, it has a bunch of add-ins you can download, as well as a built-in download manager. I still keep IE around for the 5% of sites that don't work with Firefox, but otherwise, I never go back to it.

Edit: accidentally clicked on the button to insert bold tags, but forgot to delete the trailing [/b] tag.

opera had some cool things built in too. like you can right click-hold and move the mouse left and it goes back a page. Up and down you slose the window, and many other very easy to use motions.
When you highlight a typed in web address and right click, it actually gives you the option of just going there. Its really a whole lot of simple, but very helpful, things rolled into one.

I use Mozilla.

Though I have Opera, IE, and a few other browsers installed. Sad fact is that certain sites are created to work only work with IE so I have to keep it around for those.

another AWESOME feature of opera!

When and IF the browser crashes...when you restart the browser you can choose to reopen where you were. So lets say your browser dies and you had 8 windows open...its a pain in the ass to open up where you were and get back to what you were doing...NOT IN OPERA. You can easily in seconds restart the browser at EXACTLY the same place it crashed. And it rarely crashes but sometimes you have too many programs open or some bad javascript causes some problems.

This is a true time saver for me.

Thats weird mr anderson that you had a problem...what version? Was it BETA or release? Try the latest 7.23 which is incredibly stable. What's your system specs?

[quote name='SevereTireDamage']True. In my complacence, I used to be one of those "IE is fine for me" people too, probably all those years of Netscape vs. IE and seeing NS' product go to crap with the 4.x versions.

I switched to Mozilla a few months ago though, and haven't looked back - the tabbed browsing and privacy/cookie features are vastly superior to IE. What's the main difference between Mozilla and Firebird?[/quote]

Opera allows you to choose TAB browsing or not.

I hate browsers. Specifically, I hate having to code for the different little quirks each of them have. Netscape should burn for what it did to web developers with it's horrendous 4.x series. Microsoft needs to be more standards-compliant, and stop dicking around and adding functionality that does not work for other browsers (though I must say that the ability to add width-and-height attributes to an anchor tag is quite nice). Opera needs to be bought out so that I don't have to pay for their browser. I won't even get into the opensource community, since developing for them would be an exercise in frustration.

And screw you Apple for coming out with yet ANOTHER browser. I will not code for you.

All that said, I usually like to work with Opera, because it is very strict and promotes clean code. By the same token, forcing me to use JavaScript workarounds to get a full cell to change color on hover pisses me off.

Winner: IE (promotes laziness)
Runner-up: Opera (promotes clean code and W3C compliance)
Dung-heap: Netscape/Apple (tie)

I mainly use safari, but i also have IE as back for pagess that wont load right. I love tabbed browsing and the pop up blocker.
--Shadd

Wow, defender, quite the Opera fanboy, lol. Just wanted to say, Avant has most of those features, and it doesn't have ads. At all. And it has most, if not all, of those features, and I find it much faster than Opera. I like Opera, but I guess my computer hates it. It wouldn't open at all. Oh well.

Avant here as well. I haven't seen a feature named yet that Avant doesn't have. The pop-up blocker works great and is super easy to toggle on & off. You can choose what opens a new tab (typing in a new address, doing a search, etc). It runs super fast, rarely crashes but on the off chance that it does has the same "open all the tabs you were working in" option.

I absolutely love it, as does everyone I've had try it. Oh, and it's free, which appeals to the cheapass in me. :)

[quote name='defender']Opera by far!

anyone using IE for browsing at least 30% slower than I am and they are also at risk for whatever latest viruses the script kiddies come out with...
[/quote]

When you say that it's 30 percent faster than IE, what do you actually mean by that? Is it time saved from having to click buttons or search through menus in IE as opposed to one-button clicks with Opera?

Or do you mean it can actually speed up how fast pages load?

Once you use TAB'd browsing, you can never go back to anything else. The built in pop-up blocker, and it's ad-free. www.mozilla.com check it out, really Tab'd browsing (having multiple browser windws open within the same browser) really kicks some serious a$$.

GS

bread's done
Back