Preorder a DS Lite? Yes or No?

variablesunknown

CAGiversary!
I am planning on picking up a DS lite this june when it releases. After seeing the anticipation I am a little worried that they will be sold out on release, which has prompted me to consider preordering. I have never preordered a system and am hesitant that it will be worth it, especially after reading about the Xbox 360 preorder disasters at gamestop and best buy.

Here are my questions, hopefully you guys can share your experience, advice and opinions! Thanks in advance.

1. Is it worth it to preorder or should I just go out the day of launch?

2. If I was to preorder, where should I?

3. Will the preorder actually get to me quickly, or will I have to wait a long time?

I don't think the DS Lite release will be quite as bad as 360. To be honest, I don't think it'll be bad at all.

With that said, I did pre-order my DS Lite at GameStop. I have pre-ordered stuff before, and GameStop sets aside a specific number of items for the people who pre-ordered. I walked in, told them I pre-ordered the product, they grab it for me, I pay and walk out happy. I have not once been let down by GameStop. Then again, this is only my second time pre-ordering a system. The first pre-order I did was for the original DS, which went incredibly smoothly (but then again, the DS was not as insanely popular as it is now).

1. There is no harm is pre-ordering. If your store does sell out of Lites, then you are out of luck if you don't pre-order, and you'll end up waiting until GameStop either fills its pre-orders or until the limited amount of 'non-pre-ordered' Lites stop selling out. If you pre-order, then you probably will get your DS Lite on launch day (unless demand suddenly goes crazy, but even then, you'll most likely get your DS Lite before the people who did not pre-order).

2. I would say GameStop, simply because I've had the best experience with pre-ordering products there. I haven't had pre-ordering experience from any other shop or store.

3. Pre-ordering from a store means that you will most likely get your DS Lite as soon as it becomes available. That means on launch day, or if you missed launch day, then whenver the next shipment comes in. Pre-ordering online is a whole different story...

When I pre-ordered my Lite, the GameStop employees told me that there weren't a lot of pre-orders for the Lite (at the time), but that they probably wouldn't get many Lites in their launch shipment. That may be different in your area, but I would pre-order just to be safe.

Why are people so against pre-ordering stuff? I never understood that. It's not that big of a deal, or even a huge commitment. If you pre-order from EB you've always been able to cancel at any time and get your cash back (provided you paid in cash and not credit).

I remember about a year ago when we FIRST got the sku in the system for Xbox360. We made signs, and we were telling people that it would be a really good idea to pre-order. Without fail, at least 20 people in that first week responded, "I'll just walk into WalMart and get one the day it comes out THANKS." Well, the those people almost assuredly didn't get one anywhere near launch. Instead it was the first wise 20 people to pre-order that got the first batch at our store. Sorry for the anecdote, I know the Lite won't be nearly the same in terms of scarcity/sales, but I just had to justify my bewilderment.

Seriously, unless you absolutely cannot part with the 25$, there is no reason NOT to pre-order. Better safe than sorry, you know? The same with games. I mean, yeah you can get them cheap at other places if you wait, but for 5$ you ensure you'll have a copy at launch, whether you decide to buy it there or not. I really don't get why some people are so proud when they boast, "I've never pre-ordered anything, anywhere."

I preordered at Overstock. I know that chances are I won't see it for a few weeks after release, but at 10+4% off, I couldn't resist.

I don't really want to pre order one since they are only going to be available in white. I really want one of the other available colors.

I am very jealous of Europe since they are getting the black one. Even though, they are getting the short end of the pricing stick.

If you're going to be available to go to a GameStop the day of release you should preorder it, better safe than sorry. And as others have said you can always reallocate the down payment if you do change your mind about your purchase. So you don't lose anything. Better safe than sorry.

Thanks for all the advice and opinions guys. I will probably go down to my local gamestop tommorrow and predorder. Does anyone know how much it costs? I thought I remember hearing $25 or $50 or something?

Sidenote: I am buying this system because I am accompanying my wife on a few family trips this summer. I was totally prepared to buy a PSP but then I saw the DS lite price and the amount of good games shown at E3. I am not the biggest Nintendo fan but for portables they make the best games. Not to mention, have you seen the media player they are selling at LikSang? It is only $25! This thing even comes with software to rip directly from DVD to formats for the DS! Imagine how good stuff will look on that bright screen!

I bet that when Microsoft announces their portable soon that it will feature dual analog support. That is the one thing holding back the PSP outside of price and crap software. What do you guys think?

If you want the ass white version, I would preorder it. It will be in high demand if for no other reason then to sell copies on ebay to the DS insane Japanese. On the other hand, if you can wait a couple of months, I'm sure they will release it in colors here that don't completely suck.

Mietha,
I agree and normally I would wait to get the enamel navy but I am going to a church "retreat" with my wife's family in July and the lodge we are at for a week has NO TV'S! That being the case I definately want the DS asap to make use of it that week. Not to mention, the white doesnt really bother me, the contrast of all of the bright colors on the screen with the white looks good to me, plus I am going to need it.

PS, your gamerscore is blowing my mind, awesome.

Although i prefer other color (black.. pls pls pls :) ), I'll be on a long trip in August.. so I will probably have to get the white one anyway.. does anybody know if Gamerush accept preorder yet? thanx

1. If you really want the DS Lite ASAP, go ahead & preorder.

2. Try Gamecrazy. They give you coupons for free game/video rentals @ any Hollywood Video. Also, they sometimes give out additional coupons for other deals.

3.The preorder should arrive at launch date: Gamecrazy will also call you to notify that your DS Lite has arrived.

i pre-ordered mine at game crazy. i think it only cost me 50 for the preorder. and game crazy has the best trade in deals. i traded some games that i bought for 2-5 dollars and they game me twice as much store credit.

What's with the automated message from Gamestop?

Do I have to really wait for tommorow evening or can I get my pre-ordered DS lite when the store opens?

This is confusing lol

Hahaha... I just got a call from my GameStop and probably got the same automated message as you.

It told me to come pick up my Lite tomorrow evening as well.
Right after that, I called up my GameStop and asked them when I could picked it up...

The guy's exact words were, "Whenever you come in"
By that I assume he means that they already have them in stock and that I'll be there bright and early to grab mine.

Yeah, I freaked when I got the automated message, and called the store right after. They said that if I pre-ordered (and I did) that I can get mine at 11 AM Sunday morning.

Does anyone else not care about what color their DS is? I mean, it's nice that my iPod Mini, mobile, camera and now DS Lite are all in the same spectrum (white/silver) but honestly. If all of the electronics I carried about were random, clashing neon colors it really wouldn't matter to me!

[quote name='such great heights']Yeah, I freaked when I got the automated message, and called the store right after. They said that if I pre-ordered (and I did) that I can get mine at 11 AM Sunday morning.

Does anyone else not care about what color their DS is? I mean, it's nice that my iPod Mini, mobile, camera and now DS Lite are all in the same spectrum (white/silver) but honestly. If all of the electronics I carried about were random, clashing neon colors it really wouldn't matter to me![/QUOTE]

bread's done
Back