Preorder The Orange Box get Team Fortress 2 beta access (PC - Steam)

TLPRIME

CAGiversary!
Feedback
12 (100%)
This is my first "deal" post. It's not a huge deal, but you get some cool extras, and I haven't seen it posted yet.

Pre-order The Orange Box from Steam and you get access to the Team Fortress 2 beta that starts 9/17/07.

They also are matching the 10% off that other sellers have been offering.

for $45 you get:

Half Life 2
Half Life 2 Episode 1
Half Life 2 Episode 2
Portal
Team Fortress 2 (with beta access 9/17/07)
and Peggle Extreme (exclusive to this deal)

Also for people that have already bought HL2 and HL2 Episode 1, they are allowing you to give the copies of these games to a friend as a gift.

http://storefront.steampowered.com/v/index.php?area=news&id=1186&s=0,7,11,469&i=0,10,80,340,100,380,923,3483,220,240&cc=US&skin=3&client=1

*edit* just saw this posted on the PC forum...ah well...I tried :)

wow, not to thread crap but this is hardly a deal when you consider you have to download all the content and you don't have the physical install disks.

[quote name='seen']wow, not to thread crap but this is hardly a deal when you consider you have to download all the content and you don't have the physical install disks.[/quote]

It is a deal my friend. And also a clever marketing scheme.

SEE. Even on the most sunniest of days, HL2:EPI2, Portal, and TF2 would cost $20 a piece (and in truth, EPI2 is $30). That comes out to $60 (cause it looks like it won't be a Black Box for PC users)! The PC version of the Orange Box is really $50 bucks and this is $45 bucks. So already we have the $5 discount. And even if you own HL2 and EPI1 you can give them away which means....

Valve putting copies of their games in people's hands, spreading the love. It's a great way to get people to buy the rest of the Orange Box later.

Also if you get the game now, you'll already have Peggle and TF2 on your computer.

And unless Steam's server are cracked and obliterated, having to wait for a download versus, waiting for it to ship, having to drive to get the game, then having to inevitably download something else anyway is annoying as hell.

Don't fret my OP. This is a deal.

[quote name='wampa8jedi']I wish there was a Beta for the 360 version :([/quote]
Shush. Yall got CoD4 and had Halo 3.

Edit: Especially Call of Duty 4. Game is *drooooooools*

This is totally unrelated, but I have ~$40 in credit at GS and don't know if I should use it on this or Mario Galaxy (I've never played Half-Life 2). It's going to be a tough decision.

I'm really tempted to jump in on this, but I'm not sure if I should get the 360 version or try to get this version. I just bought a new PC (not specifically for gaming, but I bought a geforce 8600GT) and am contemplating if this will run well on my machine.... are there any benchmark tests or anything I could run?

here are the system req's from Steam

Minimum: 1.7 GHz Processor, 512MB RAM, DirectX® 8 level Graphics Card, Windows® Vista/XP/2000, Mouse, Keyboard, Internet Connection

Recommended: Pentium 4 processor (3.0GHz, or better), 1GB RAM, DirectX® 9 level Graphics Card, Windows® Vista/XP/2000, Mouse, Keyboard, Internet Connection

[quote name='TLPRIME']here are the system req's from Steam

Minimum: 1.7 GHz Processor, 512MB RAM, DirectX® 8 level Graphics Card, Windows® Vista/XP/2000, Mouse, Keyboard, Internet Connection

Recommended: Pentium 4 processor (3.0GHz, or better), 1GB RAM, DirectX® 9 level Graphics Card, Windows® Vista/XP/2000, Mouse, Keyboard, Internet Connection[/QUOTE]

Thanks, I think I should be covered. I have 2 GB of RAM (though Vista says I have 1.5) and a Direct X 10 level card, so I think I should be good. The only reason I would pick the 360 version over this would be if it had split screen multiplayer, which it doesn't look like it does, so I'll probably jump on this this weekend. Thanks!

Ok, just to make sure I have this straight, even though I bought the big package deal with HL1 and all when HL2 came out, there is no way I'm going to get the 3 new games in a bundle without buying everything over again? And I don't really care about giving away Steam versions of games I already have.

If correct, with Steam available to customize distribution easily, there is no excuse for this.

Is just the new stuff what the black box was supposed to be?

This is one of the best gaming deals EVER if you don't own HL2 or Ep1.

So you get HL2, Ep1, Ep2, TF2, and Portal for $45. They're ready to play the second they're released.

That comes down to $9 per game.

That's a steal in and of itself, but we're also talking about Valve quality here.

this is tempting, but I would rather have the physical game...

Physical Game is just gonna make you activate through steam. Plus Valve gets more cash though steam. Buy the physical and support the money hat that is EA.

This is the best deal in gaming, EVER!

[quote name='InuFaye']Physical Game is just gonna make you activate through steam. Plus Valve gets more cash though steam. Buy the physical and support the money hat that is EA.

This is the best deal in gaming, EVER![/QUOTE]

you make a convincing argument...and peggle extreme looks like something I'd impulse buy down the road...

[quote name='seen']wow, not to thread crap but this is hardly a deal when you consider you have to download all the content and you don't have the physical install disks.[/quote]

I think this guy was trying to be cool with all the warhawk talk on the PS3 and not having a Disc. You cant trade in PC games soo why do you want them? Good deal and worth it for Beta!

There's just something about holding a physical disc that makes your purchase seem more real and worthwhile. I will be buying this in-store I think.

This is a great deal, Early beta access to TF2, free Half life peggle game, and you can sell/trade away your unused hl2 codes if you dont want them. PLus like people said earlier, You're not supporting EA like you would if you went out and bought he actual box in the store.

Since your game is always tied to your steam account, having the disc is just a moot point once you have typed in your key, since you can always DL it from Steam again if you lose your disc. You cant trade it since your key is already registered to steam.

For those who have a pc that can run it, It's an incredible deal. Pc will always be the better platform for HL and all the mods.

Great deal op im in and i got in to both the halo 3(without crapdown) and cod4 beta. This makes more sense than what they did for counter strike source where if you bought condition zero you could play it.

Team Fortress 2 is gonna be the bomb, but I'm not that excited to play it. I'll probably just pick it up in-store.

Really, in-store or online, the Orange Box is a great deal. I can't wait to get into the Half-Life 2 action I've been missing.

[quote name='Apossum']Do you have to buy Counterstrike SOurce separately?[/quote]

I dont think CS:S is coming with any of the orange boxes.

I've heard CS:S sucks anyway...

The physical copy is an archaism; it takes up space, supports EA, and is eventually tied to your Steam account anyway.

I always buy games from Steam unless there's a great deal elsewhere. Steam auto-updates my games AND allows me to download them to any PC. It really is a fantastic system.

So basically if I've bought HL2 and HL2:Episode 1, I now have to pay $45 to play Episode 2.

Hmm, biggest argument against digital distribution, it should be cheaper, but it isn't.

Sorry, I'm not trying to threadcrap.

[quote name='benjamouth']So basically if I've bought HL2 and HL2:Episode 1, I now have to pay $45 to play Episode 2.

Hmm, biggest argument against digital distribution, it should be cheaper, but it isn't.

Sorry, I'm not trying to threadcrap.[/quote]

What dude?

Yeah when it gets closer to the release date you can buy it separtely like everything else. If all you want is Epi2 then you can wait to pay the $30 that it costs. Have fun son.

For everyone who isn't reading through the original post, let alone the few other comments that have said something on the matter, I'm reposting this link that explains what you can do if you already own HL2 and Ep1. The short of it is you get to give HL2 and/or Ep1 to a friend by sending a Steam invite and a special link that activates the games on their account.

It's a great deal no matter which way you look at it, and the choice between the downloaded Steam version or the physical retail copy is moot because it's simply a matter of preference; Whichever you choose, it isn't going to affect anyone else anyway.

[quote name='FurryCurry']What dude?

Yeah when it gets closer to the release date you can buy it separtely like everything else. If all you want is Epi2 then you can wait to pay the $30 that it costs. Have fun son.[/quote]

Ahh ok, well that is a pretty good deal then.

[quote name='Serik']I've heard CS:S sucks anyway...

The physical copy is an archaism; it takes up space, supports EA, and is eventually tied to your Steam account anyway.

I always buy games from Steam unless there's a great deal elsewhere. Steam auto-updates my games AND allows me to download them to any PC. It really is a fantastic system.[/quote]

Whoever said CS:S sucks is a fucking idiot. Its one of the best multiplayer shooters ever made.

[quote name='InuFaye']Whoever said CS:S sucks is a fucking idiot. Its one of the best multiplayer shooters ever made.[/quote]

*Snicker*

Ok, couple problems with recent posts. Ok, fine and dandy I can give away HL2 and Ep1. I could also do that if I bought the discs, and if I want to sell them I'd probably have an easier time with physical media. EXCEPT, everybody probably already has HL2, since they've practically been giving it away, even the Xbox version which has been on clearance for a while at CC. And besides that they had Ep1 on sale once or twice for between $10-$15, which is when I grabbed it.

Not that the price isn't an ok deal for what you get, but jeez, like I originally posted, they should be able to do better than that in a electronic distribution system. I think maybe EA pressure made them only offer it this way--they probably didn't want them to offer something electronically they had no intention of offering physically.

You CAN'T sell the physical media. You MUST attach the cd-key to your Steam account, and it is over. The physical media is a glorified DVD case with a reference card and the all-important CD-key. The only difference between installing it from the disc and getting it through Steam is that you copy the content files from the CD instead of downloading them through Steam. Hell, Steam will probably drop a few patches on the game as installed from the CD when you first install it anyway. Once it is in your Steam account, you may as well throw away the physical media. It is useless, cannot be sold.

Hell, I bought Dark Messiah on DVD for my computer that didn't have a DVD drive, so I punched in the cd-key to Steam and downloaded it through Steam that way.

I know the difference, if you are talking to me. I meant IF I bought physical media instead, which I like to do because I usually get it cheaper that way on sale at CC or wherever, and then all I usually do with steam games is run home and enter the code and download it through steam. If I had physical media I could sell just the discs I wouldn't activate. My basic point is it is silly to put too much into the fact I can give away or sell the stuff I don't need, because the people that don't already have HL2 or Ep1 probably aren't real keen on Steam codes anyway.

Besides that, from the post that says just buy Ep2 for $30, I bet CC will offer Ep2 for $20 or less on sale within 2 weeks of release, but I want the other 2 games.

This reminds me that I impulse bought HL2:Ep1 when it came out and then never really played it.

I don't even remember what my steam ID/PWD is.

[quote name='turls']
Besides that, from the post that says just buy Ep2 for $30, I bet CC will offer Ep2 for $20 or less on sale within 2 weeks of release, but I want the other 2 games.[/QUOTE]

I could be wrong, but I think for a physical copy of Ep 2, it only comes in the Orange/Black Box. You can't buy Episode 2 by itself on disc... someone correct me if I'm wrong.

Guys I only care about buying TF2. Are they going to sell that alone ? and if so are they going to sell it solo via B&M?

I'm willing to bet anything HL2 related can be found cheaper B&M if you look hard/wait long enough.

I already own HL2, Don't care about EP1, EP2, or Portal.

And Yes I'll say it, if you don't own HL2 on the PC this is a good deal. But for me not so much.

As tempting of an offer as this is, I just can't give up my physical media. I've gotten past the point of me hating on Steam just because you need to activate your software. However, I will always be a proponent of getting a physical copy, if only because I collect these things. I love looking at my game shelf and seeing my collection - with stuff on my hard drive, it's just.. Not as neat.

Anyone know if there will be separate cd-keys for ep1 and hl2 if you buy the physical media or through steam? I don't have ep1 in my account, but I've already played the game and I don't wait it to be locked into my account the moment I activate the orange box

Ya, I hope at least one 24/7 TFC Dustbowl server stays alive. As much as I'll enjoy TF2 and Fortress Forever, it'd be a shame if I couldn't relive my TFC Dbowl glorydays every now and then.

Shit, I've been playing Dustbowl at least once a week since summer of 2001.

If you don't mind paying the cash upfront, and were playing on buying the Orange Box for PC anyway, this is a good deal.

I know I'll be playing the TF2 beta, it's something to do for a week before Halo 3.

Ordered this last night. I was pleasantly surprised that you can download everything but Portal and TF2 right away. on a side note, HL2 looks amazing but Bioshock totally spoiled me. guess I missed the boat on HL2 being the best looking game ever :)

[quote name='munch']This is totally unrelated, but I have ~$40 in credit at GS and don't know if I should use it on this or Mario Galaxy (I've never played Half-Life 2). It's going to be a tough decision.[/quote]
Well think about this...
You get Half-life 2, HL2 episode 1&2
Team Fortress, and Portal.
That's 5 games for 1. Enstead of Mario Galaxy, which will prob be awesome, but only 1 game.

When I played Half-life 2 for the first time and beat it I thought it was the best game ive ever played. I loved it, I walked away feeling wow I need to write a review about this and tell everyone I know how awesome it is.
Episode 1 was good too, but I really want to play Episode 2 to see what happens.
Now I can't WAIT for Team Fortress, the preview clips of Heavy Weapons Guy, Soldier, and the Engineer are so funny.
And when I first saw Portal I was amazed, that looked like a super fun Puzzle game.
I Personally am going to buy this game with the discs because, like Wombat and his rant about WarHawk, I too like to have a videogame with the physical feel of the discs.
Man I can't wait till this comes out!!!

bread's done
Back